PDA

View Full Version : Trainer

Seth Greenhill
November 24th 04, 03:38 AM
Hi,
I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You in Advance,
Seth

David Cohen
November 24th 04, 04:06 AM
"Seth Greenhill" > wrote
> Hi,
> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> about fitness.

Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41 y/o
male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a little fat and
gain a little muscle.

David

Larry Hodges
November 24th 04, 04:42 AM
David Cohen wrote:
> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote
>> Hi,
>> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
>> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
>> about fitness.
>
> Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a
> 41 y/o male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a
> little fat and gain a little muscle.
>
> David

lol...a worthiness test. I like it!
--
-Larry
Canada...leading the world in being just north of the United States.

Tifosi Bob
November 24th 04, 04:52 AM
"Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
> been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
> you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.
>
> Thank You in Advance,
> Seth

Seth,

don't be silly, personal trainers make dick, although you do get to look
down tops of good-looking milf's with $30k boob jobs. Do kineisiology or
physio etc, pays better and better opportunities especially with an aging
population.

David
November 24th 04, 07:28 AM
"Tifosi Bob" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> > I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> > personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> > about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
> > been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
> > you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.
> >
> > Thank You in Advance,
> > Seth
>
> Seth,
>
> don't be silly, personal trainers make dick, although you do get to look
> down tops of good-looking milf's with $30k boob jobs. Do kineisiology or
> physio etc, pays better and better opportunities especially with an aging
> population.

You have to be smart to do physio so that's out. This guy is so easy
confused he won;t make a personal trainers shoelace. Maybe he should
consider a career in the post office?

Bob MacWilliam
November 24th 04, 01:01 PM
"Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
> been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
> you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.
>
> Thank You in Advance,
> Seth

Seriously, your qualifications OTHER THAN your trainer's certification are
ultimately more important. Go get a science-related or sport-related degree
or two. Follow some athletic passions. Maybe get ripped and see what it
takes to get into bodybuilding condition. Then get your trainer's cert.

I don't agree that you can't make good dough as a personal trainer. If
you're good and develop a good rep, you should be able to do well.

Bob

Jim Ranieri
November 24th 04, 01:33 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote
> > Hi,
> > I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> > personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> > about fitness.
>
> Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41
y/o
> male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a little fat
and
> gain a little muscle.

oh! oh!...I know this one! Do LOTS of crunches, make sure to buy LOW-FAT
foods and do side bends holding a 5 lb dumbell. Right?

Lee Michaels
November 24th 04, 01:40 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote

> oh! oh!...I know this one! Do LOTS of crunches, make sure to buy LOW-FAT
> foods and do side bends holding a 5 lb dumbell. Right?

YOU ARE HIRED!!!

Remember to dress sexy and wiggle your butt now.

Steve Freides
November 24th 04, 01:40 PM
"Tifosi Bob" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Hi,
>> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
>> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
>> about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
>> been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
>> you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can
>> get.
>>
>> Thank You in Advance,
>> Seth
>
> Seth,
>
> don't be silly, personal trainers make dick, although you do get to
> look
> down tops of good-looking milf's with $30k boob jobs. Do kineisiology
> or
> physio etc, pays better and better opportunities especially with an
> aging
> population.

Yeah but you can become a personal trainer in a weekend - becoming a
physical therapist takes years - I looked into it and, even with my
doctoral degree, they told me I'd have to go back to school for 6 years.
If our young man has a job offer waiting, no reason not to get a
personal trainer certification now.

BTW, David Cohen's question is pretty similar to what some of the
questions on the NSCA CPT test are like. They also have some other
"real world" things in the exam like making you watch videos of people
exercising and having to tell what either the exerciser, the spotter, or
both are doing wrong.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jim Ranieri
November 24th 04, 02:05 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message

> "Jim Ranieri" > wrote
> >
> > oh! oh!...I know this one! Do LOTS of crunches, make sure to buy LOW-FAT
> > foods and do side bends holding a 5 lb dumbell. Right?
> >

> YOU ARE HIRED!!!
>
> Remember to dress sexy and wiggle your butt now.

I need no reminder to do that, my friend.

Helgi Briem
November 24th 04, 03:29 PM
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:55:11 GMT, Usenet Posting

>>> Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41
>>> y/o male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a
>>> little fat and gain a little muscle.

>>oh! oh!...I know this one! Do LOTS of crunches, make sure to buy LOW-FAT
>>foods and do side bends holding a 5 lb dumbell. Right?
>>
>Also, it is critical not to lift anything heavy because that will make
>your midsection more muscular and make you look fatter.

Even more important, do 10 sets of 100 tricep kickbacks
to get rid of the unsightly underarm flab.

Do squats in a S*it* machine, but to protect your knees,
go very, very shallow, just shaking your butt up and
down a few inches. Do lots and lots of reps to make
sure you are toning and not bulking.

Do bench presses in a machine to protect your elbows,
but make sure you don't get the bar anywhere near
your chest. Just shake it a little at the top. Plenty of
reps of course.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

JayB
November 24th 04, 04:43 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message

>>>oh! oh!...I know this one! Do LOTS of crunches, make sure to buy LOW-FAT
>>>foods and do side bends holding a 5 lb dumbell. Right?
>>>
>>Also, it is critical not to lift anything heavy because that will make
>>your midsection more muscular and make you look fatter.
>
> Even more important, do 10 sets of 100 tricep kickbacks
> to get rid of the unsightly underarm flab.
>
> Do squats in a S*it* machine, but to protect your knees,
> go very, very shallow, just shaking your butt up and
> down a few inches. Do lots and lots of reps to make
> sure you are toning and not bulking.
>
> Do bench presses in a machine to protect your elbows,
> but make sure you don't get the bar anywhere near
> your chest. Just shake it a little at the top. Plenty of
> reps of course.

This is perfect for all those people out there who don't want to be Mr.
Olympia. ;-)

--
JayB

David Cohen
November 24th 04, 06:09 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in message

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote
>> > Hi,
>> > I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
>> > personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
>> > about fitness.
>>
>> Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41
> y/o
>> male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a little fat
> and
>> gain a little muscle.
>>

> oh! oh!...I know this one! Do LOTS of crunches, make sure to buy LOW-FAT
> foods and do side bends holding a 5 lb dumbell. Right?

You read the ACE manual, you cheater!

David

Keith Hobman
November 24th 04, 11:19 PM
In article >, "Tifosi Bob"
> wrote:

> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> > I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> > personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> > about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
> > been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
> > you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.
> >
> > Thank You in Advance,
> > Seth
>
> Seth,
>
> don't be silly, personal trainers make dick, although you do get to look
> down tops of good-looking milf's with $30k boob jobs. Do kineisiology or
> physio etc, pays better and better opportunities especially with an aging
> population.

Kinesiology grads don't make dick either.

Take it from a student.

Seth Breidbart
November 25th 04, 12:56 AM
In article et>,
David Cohen > wrote:
>"Seth Greenhill" > wrote
>> Hi,
>> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
>> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
>> about fitness.
>
>Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41 y/o
>male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a little fat and
>gain a little muscle.

Eat less. Lift more.

Brief enough?

Seth
--
Of course, common logic fails to hold up here on mfw, as a general rule
of thumb. -- Lyle McDonald

David Cohen
November 25th 04, 01:15 AM
"Seth Breidbart" > wrote
> David Cohen > wrote:
>>"Seth Greenhill" > wrote
>>> Hi,
>>> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
>>> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
>>> about fitness.
>>
>>Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41
>>y/o
>>male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a little fat
>>and
>>gain a little muscle.
>
> Eat less. Lift more.
>
> Brief enough?

For you, yes. For a 19 year old who wants a CPT certification after 2 years
of working out, knowing a lot about fitness, I'm gonna' need a BIT more
detail.

The scenario I gave was EXTREMELY fair: 41 y/o, to eliminate the "anything
will work for the young" problem; no confounding underlying medical
problems; and VERY modest, general, goals.

If he can't manage that, maybe some more years, more experience, and more
education, might be advisable.

David

Helgi Briem
November 25th 04, 11:00 AM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:15:45 GMT, "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>The scenario I gave was EXTREMELY fair: 41 y/o, to eliminate the "anything
>will work for the young" problem; no confounding underlying medical
>problems; and VERY modest, general, goals.
>
>If he can't manage that, maybe some more years, more experience, and more
>education, might be advisable.

As a side note, 13 months ago, I was precisely that 41 year old with
no significant medical history and very modest, general goals.

I have far exceeded them.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

bc
November 25th 04, 02:56 PM
"Bob MacWilliam" > wrote in message >...
> "Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> > I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> > personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> > about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
> > been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
> > you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.
> >
> > Thank You in Advance,
> > Seth
>
> Seriously, your qualifications OTHER THAN your trainer's certification are
> ultimately more important. Go get a science-related or sport-related degree
> or two. Follow some athletic passions. Maybe get ripped and see what it
> takes to get into bodybuilding condition. Then get your trainer's cert.
>
> I don't agree that you can't make good dough as a personal trainer. If
> you're good and develop a good rep, you should be able to do well.

Um, maybe if you're a "trainer to the starzzz." Otherwise, your
definition of well must differ a bit from mine.

- bc

David Cohen
November 25th 04, 04:18 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>
>>The scenario I gave was EXTREMELY fair: 41 y/o, to eliminate the "anything
>>will work for the young" problem; no confounding underlying medical
>>problems; and VERY modest, general, goals.
>>
>>If he can't manage that, maybe some more years, more experience, and more
>>education, might be advisable.
>
> As a side note, 13 months ago, I was precisely that 41 year old with
> no significant medical history and very modest, general goals.

In my scenario, the 41 year old was a crossdressing dwarf with pedophilic
attraction to puppies.

IT'S AMAZING!

:)~

> I have far exceeded them.

You must've had an excellent Certified Personal Trainer.

David

Bob MacWilliam
November 25th 04, 06:24 PM
(bc) wrote in message >...
> "Bob MacWilliam" > wrote in message >...
> > "Seth Greenhill" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > > I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
> > > personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
> > > about fitness. What certification would you reccomend I get? I have
> > > been reading up on a lot of them but they all seem the same. I guess
> > > you can say I am very confused. I would appreciate any help I can get.
> > >
> > > Thank You in Advance,
> > > Seth
> >
> > Seriously, your qualifications OTHER THAN your trainer's certification are
> > ultimately more important. Go get a science-related or sport-related degree
> > or two. Follow some athletic passions. Maybe get ripped and see what it
> > takes to get into bodybuilding condition. Then get your trainer's cert.
> >
> > I don't agree that you can't make good dough as a personal trainer. If
> > you're good and develop a good rep, you should be able to do well.
> >

> Um, maybe if you're a "trainer to the starzzz." Otherwise, your
> definition of well must differ a bit from mine.
>
> - bc

Well maybe it is different, but I do know a few trainers (not the
stiffs in the big gyms), but the elite-athlete types that earn near
six figures (in US $). There are lots of folks struggling too, but
the high-quality trainers do get paid well, at least around here (very
large urban area).

Bob

Lucas Buck
November 25th 04, 10:05 PM
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:06:59 GMT, "David Cohen" >
wrote:

>"Seth Greenhill" > wrote
>> Hi,
>> I am a 19 year old college student who is intrested in becoming a
>> personal trainer. I have been working out for 2 years and know a lot
>> about fitness.
>
>Briefly...as in BRIEFLY...describe a diet and exercise routine for a 41 y/o
>male with no significant medical history who wants to lose a little fat and
>gain a little muscle.
>
>David

Diet: eat lots at Vegas buffets

Exercise: bang Vegas showgirls

Geezer From The Freezer
November 26th 04, 10:25 AM
Helgi Briem wrote:

> Even more important, do 10 sets of 100 tricep kickbacks
> to get rid of the unsightly underarm flab.
>
> Do squats in a S*it* machine, but to protect your knees,
> go very, very shallow, just shaking your butt up and
> down a few inches. Do lots and lots of reps to make
> sure you are toning and not bulking.
>
> Do bench presses in a machine to protect your elbows,
> but make sure you don't get the bar anywhere near
> your chest. Just shake it a little at the top. Plenty of
> reps of course.

Helgi,

You forgot a 1000 sit-ups too.....everyday!!!! ;)

Geezer From The Freezer
November 26th 04, 10:29 AM
Steve Freides wrote:

> Yeah but you can become a personal trainer in a weekend - becoming a
> physical therapist takes years - I looked into it and, even with my
> doctoral degree, they told me I'd have to go back to school for 6 years.
> If our young man has a job offer waiting, no reason not to get a
> personal trainer certification now.
>
> BTW, David Cohen's question is pretty similar to what some of the
> questions on the NSCA CPT test are like. They also have some other
> "real world" things in the exam like making you watch videos of people
> exercising and having to tell what either the exerciser, the spotter, or
> both are doing wrong.

Maybe he could become a personal trainer, *uck his clients up and then become
a physio and fix them up....good business tactics!! :)

Helgi Briem
November 26th 04, 01:07 PM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:18:52 GMT, "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>"Helgi Briem" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>
>>>The scenario I gave was EXTREMELY fair: 41 y/o, to eliminate the "anything
>>>will work for the young" problem; no confounding underlying medical
>>>problems; and VERY modest, general, goals.
>>>
>>>If he can't manage that, maybe some more years, more experience, and more
>>>education, might be advisable.
>>
>> As a side note, 13 months ago, I was precisely that 41 year old with
>> no significant medical history and very modest, general goals.
>
>In my scenario, the 41 year old was a crossdressing dwarf with pedophilic
>attraction to puppies.
>
>IT'S AMAZING!
>
>:)~
>
>> I have far exceeded them.
>
>You must've had an excellent Certified Personal Trainer.

Yup. Me.

Well, not Certified, but certainly Personal. And excellent.

Got a lot of good advice from MFW, too. Some of it
from dirty stinking Canucks, monkey lovers and
even Republicans.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.