PDA

View Full Version : Dips

BionicMan113
November 24th 04, 01:34 PM
I finally got my Body Solid vetical leg raise/dip stand. Inteleg romaste.

I got it from FitnessFactoryOutlet from their Amazon site.

How low am I supposed to go in dips?

-BionicMan113

John M. Williams
November 24th 04, 06:59 PM
(BionicMan113) wrote:

>I finally got my Body Solid vetical leg raise/dip stand. Inteleg romaste.
>
>I got it from FitnessFactoryOutlet from their Amazon site.
>
>How low am I supposed to go in dips?

Don't let your shoulders dip below your elbows. Pain in the shoulders
and at the sternum are good hints that you're dipping too low. I'll
skip the anatomy lecture.

spodosaurus
November 25th 04, 10:53 AM
John M. Williams wrote:
> (BionicMan113) wrote:
>

>>I finally got my Body Solid vetical leg raise/dip stand. Inteleg romaste.
>>
>>I got it from FitnessFactoryOutlet from their Amazon site.
>>
>>How low am I supposed to go in dips?
>

> Don't let your shoulders dip below your elbows. Pain in the shoulders
> and at the sternum are good hints that you're dipping too low.

My elbows (only one at a time, oddly enough, on any given set) let me
know when I've dropped my shoulders too far below my elbows.

> I'll
> skip the anatomy lecture.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

bc
November 25th 04, 03:01 PM
spodosaurus > wrote in message >...
> John M. Williams wrote:
> > (BionicMan113) wrote:
> >

> >>I finally got my Body Solid vetical leg raise/dip stand. Inteleg romaste.
> >>
> >>I got it from FitnessFactoryOutlet from their Amazon site.
> >>
> >>How low am I supposed to go in dips?
> >

> > Don't let your shoulders dip below your elbows. Pain in the shoulders
> > and at the sternum are good hints that you're dipping too low.
>
> My elbows (only one at a time, oddly enough, on any given set) let me
> know when I've dropped my shoulders too far below my elbows.
>
> > I'll
> > skip the anatomy lecture.

Hurt my chest and shoulder years ago going too fast and too deep.
Now, it's down easy, slow to a stop, and up easy - no probs now.

- bc

spodosaurus
November 25th 04, 03:06 PM

(BionicMan113) wrote:

>>>Don't let your shoulders dip below your elbows. Pain in the shoulders
>>>and at the sternum are good hints that you're dipping too low.
>>
>>My elbows (only one at a time, oddly enough, on any given set) let me
>>know when I've dropped my shoulders too far below my elbows.
>>

>>>I'll
>>>skip the anatomy lecture.
>

> Hurt my chest and shoulder years ago going too fast and too deep.
> Now, it's down easy, slow to a stop, and up easy - no probs now.
>
> - bc

At the risk of sounding like a pumper, I make sure I feel the
contraction in the muscles being worked and no comparable stress to the
joints. It requires that I use significantly less added weight than I am
capable of, but over time strength increases come anyway with weight
progression, just a bit slower (but my previously injured joints are
preserved).

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

bc
November 30th 04, 07:21 PM
spodosaurus > wrote in message >...
> bc wrote:
> > spodosaurus > wrote in message >...
> >
> >>John M. Williams wrote:

> >>My elbows (only one at a time, oddly enough, on any given set) let me
> >>know when I've dropped my shoulders too far below my elbows.

> > Hurt my chest and shoulder years ago going too fast and too deep.
> > Now, it's down easy, slow to a stop, and up easy - no probs now.
> >
> > - bc
>
> At the risk of sounding like a pumper, I make sure I feel the
> contraction in the muscles being worked and no comparable stress to the
> joints. It requires that I use significantly less added weight than I am
> capable of, but over time strength increases come anyway with weight
> progression, just a bit slower (but my previously injured joints are
> preserved).

I think the goal of avoiding tactile joint stress (is that a real
thing?) sounds reasonable. Probably though, some kinds of joint
stress are hard to feel before its too late.

Your description sounds right to me - load the muscles before the
weight is pushing you to the edge of the joint's range of motion.
That way, you aren't already in trouble when you try to turn the
motion around and go back up.

- bc