PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Australian help

Lurker
November 25th 04, 10:06 PM
I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
Christmas gifts has come up.

One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
the US?

TIA,

Lurker

Peter Webb
November 26th 04, 12:33 AM
I can help, but

1. Oz TVs use PAL, you use NTSC. So unless she has a multi-format TV, it
won't work.
2. Most DVDs are region locked - for copyright reasons, overseas DVDs won't
play in the US, so unless they are multi-region (common only on pirate
disks) or you have a multi-region DVD player (some are, many aren't) it will
refuse to play.

Are you sure that you can only get it in Oz - strange for a Disney movie ...

"Lurker" > wrote in message
om...
>I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> the US?
>
> TIA,
>
> Lurker

spodosaurus
November 26th 04, 01:40 AM
Lurker wrote:
> I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> the US?
>
> TIA,
>
> Lurker

I can, but it'll be a region 4 DVD or a PAL format video casette and is
unlikely to play nice on region 1 dvd players or single format ntsc
televisions.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Brandon Berg
November 26th 04, 02:41 AM
"Lurker" > wrote in message
om...
>I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> the US?

There are several on eBay. I suspect that the ones not labeled as region 1
are bootlegs.

--
Brandon Berg
Fix the obvious homonym substitution to reply.

November 26th 04, 04:41 AM
(Lurker) wrote in message >...
> I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> the US?
>
> TIA,
>
> Lurker

I am in .au and could help but two things. First I assume it's a DVD
you want and if so you need to be aware that Australia (and most of
Asia) is considered Region 4 (Region 1 being the US). They do that
region crap to release things at different times to different parts of
the globe. You would need a DVD player that can play multi-region.
Second, I can see it for sale in lots of US based companies, even
amazon. Unless you are looking for some special edition or something.

Let me know if you need my help.

rev
aka Bob

gman99
November 26th 04, 12:31 PM
(Lurker) wrote:
> I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> the US?
>
> TIA,
>
> Lurker

Go to the Disney website...

DRS
November 26th 04, 01:36 PM
"Lurker" > wrote in message
om
> I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia.

Go to http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/pricecrawler/?search=movies and search on
"Pinocchio Disney". You'll get 9 or 10 hits. The cheapest is FBO (they're
practically giving it away), see http://www.fbo.com.au/movie.asp?ID=8706 and
they ship internationally (standard caveats about Region 4/PAL).

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Lurker
November 26th 04, 04:21 PM
Lurker wrote:
> I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> Christmas gifts has come up.
>
> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> the US?
>
> TIA,
>
> Lurker

Thanks all for the replies.

I hadn't remembered regional coding when this was brought up last night.
I wouldn't work. I will see if I can't find it somewhere in the states.
I am not terribly sure how much effort was put into looking for it in
the first place.

Thanks again,

Lurker

DRS
November 26th 04, 05:42 PM
"Lurker" > wrote in message

[...]

> I hadn't remembered regional coding when this was brought up last
> night.

Try http://www.happyhunter.com/Zon_US/Curr_USD/dvd and search on "Pinocchio"
and "Region1".

Funnily enough I doubt region coding would be as much of an issue as the
format. Practically all DVD players sold here at least are multi-region
these days, but in Nth America few TVs are multisystem so it's the PAL
format that would probably be the real killer.

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

John Hanson
November 26th 04, 06:06 PM
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:42:55 +1100, "DRS"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"Lurker" > wrote in message

>[...]
>
>> I hadn't remembered regional coding when this was brought up last
>> night.
>
>Try http://www.happyhunter.com/Zon_US/Curr_USD/dvd and search on "Pinocchio"
>and "Region1".
>
>Funnily enough I doubt region coding would be as much of an issue as the
>format. Practically all DVD players sold here at least are multi-region
>these days, but in Nth America few TVs are multisystem so it's the PAL
>format that would probably be the real killer.

PAL - Picture Always Lousy. NTSC - Never The Same Color.

Proton Soup
November 26th 04, 06:25 PM
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:21:02 -0800, Lurker
> wrote:

>Lurker wrote:
>> I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
>> Christmas gifts has come up.
>>
>> One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
>> Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
>> company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
>> here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
>> the US?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Lurker
>
>Thanks all for the replies.
>
>I hadn't remembered regional coding when this was brought up last night.
>I wouldn't work. I will see if I can't find it somewhere in the states.
>I am not terribly sure how much effort was put into looking for it in
>the first place.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Lurker

From what I remembered, Disney stopped producing some old classics
like Song of the South for political correctness reasons, but I can't
imagine why Pinocchio would fall into that category.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Lee Michaels
November 26th 04, 07:22 PM
"Proton Soup" > wrote

> From what I remembered, Disney stopped producing some old classics
> like Song of the South for political correctness reasons, but I can't
> imagine why Pinocchio would fall into that category.

I read this awhile back. I think Disney is still doing it.

Disney targets a lot of its animated stuff at certain "generations". So
they bring it out every so many years (eight, ten, or ???). This is the
whole package. tapes, toys and lots of licensed merchandise. Then they shut
it all down. That way the demand builds up again and it can be introduced
like a new product to a different generation. This allows them to make big
bucks from this boom and bust cycle. Much more so than having it out there
all the time.

I have been pressed into service more than once to buy something for
somebody at the Disney store that was to be obsoleted soon.

I would think that the modern DVD would require a different approach. But I
ain't Disney, so I don't know. I wonder if somebody was to drop a note to
Disney, if they would answer on this topic?

Proton Soup
November 26th 04, 07:24 PM
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:22:58 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>"Proton Soup" > wrote
>>
>> From what I remembered, Disney stopped producing some old classics
>> like Song of the South for political correctness reasons, but I can't
>> imagine why Pinocchio would fall into that category.
>>
>I read this awhile back. I think Disney is still doing it.
>
>Disney targets a lot of its animated stuff at certain "generations". So
>they bring it out every so many years (eight, ten, or ???). This is the
>whole package. tapes, toys and lots of licensed merchandise. Then they shut
>it all down. That way the demand builds up again and it can be introduced
>like a new product to a different generation. This allows them to make big
>bucks from this boom and bust cycle. Much more so than having it out there
>all the time.

Makes perfect sense. I doubt they'll re-release SotS, though.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Peter Webb
November 27th 04, 01:18 AM
"DRS" > wrote in message
> "Lurker" > wrote in message
>

> [...]
>
>> I hadn't remembered regional coding when this was brought up last
>> night.
>
> Try http://www.happyhunter.com/Zon_US/Curr_USD/dvd and search on
> "Pinocchio"
> and "Region1".
>
> Funnily enough I doubt region coding would be as much of an issue as the
> format. Practically all DVD players sold here at least are multi-region
> these days, but in Nth America few TVs are multisystem so it's the PAL
> format that would probably be the real killer.
>
> --

I would firstly dispute the "most". The biggest selling DVD players in Oz
(by a country mile) are the Playstation 2 and XBox - neither of which are
multizoned.

Further, the high penetration of multizoning in Oz derives from two
additional factors:

* An explicit statement by the ACCC that zone locking is considered an
impediment to competition, and that multi-zoning is legal (in their
opinion).
* Lots of Australian's want to import and play US (and other) DVDs. The same
pressures don't exist in the US. Just about every DVD you would ever want is
available as Zone 1 at low cost; how many Americans want to import Oz DVDs?

I would imagine that playing Oz DVDs in the US would be way more of a
hassle - in every respect - than playing US DVDs in Oz.

DRS
November 27th 04, 12:49 PM
"Peter Webb" > wrote in message
> "DRS" > wrote in message

[...]

>> Funnily enough I doubt region coding would be as much of an issue as
>> the format. Practically all DVD players sold here at least are
>> multi-region these days, but in Nth America few TVs are multisystem
>> so it's the PAL format that would probably be the real killer.
>
> I would firstly dispute the "most". The biggest selling DVD players
> in Oz (by a country mile) are the Playstation 2 and XBox - neither of
> which are multizoned.

You're seriously stretching the definition of DVD player. My computer can
play DVD movies too but if you walked into a store and asked for a DVD
player they wouldn't point you immediately in the direction of either
computers or game consoles. Either way, the fact is if you buy a DVD player
in Oz these days and it's not multizoned you have every right to feel
aggrieved.

> Further, the high penetration of multizoning in Oz derives from two
> additional factors:
>
> * An explicit statement by the ACCC that zone locking is considered an
> impediment to competition, and that multi-zoning is legal (in their
> opinion).
> * Lots of Australian's want to import and play US (and other) DVDs.
> The same pressures don't exist in the US. Just about every DVD you
> would ever want is available as Zone 1 at low cost; how many
> Americans want to import Oz DVDs?

Not many, although there are some. Whilst R1 has about three times as many
released titles as R4, there are still some titles either not available in
R1 or the R4/R2 version is superior in some manner.

> I would imagine that playing Oz DVDs in the US would be way more of a
> hassle - in every respect - than playing US DVDs in Oz.

Of course.

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

spodosaurus
November 27th 04, 02:12 PM
DRS wrote:
> Either way, the fact is if you buy a DVD player
> in Oz these days and it's not multizoned you have every right to feel
> aggrieved.

Are you sure about this? I thought the majority of DVD players here were
still R4 only out of the box.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

DRS
November 27th 04, 02:58 PM
"spodosaurus" > wrote in message

> DRS wrote:
>> Either way, the fact is if you buy a DVD player
>> in Oz these days and it's not multizoned you have every right to feel
>> aggrieved.
>
> Are you sure about this? I thought the majority of DVD players here
> were still R4 only out of the box.

No way. Spend some time over at aus.dvd. People simply refused to buy
non-modified boxes so the manufacturers had no choice. My Pioneer 355 is
multizone and unlike with the 344 I didn't have to look for the modded Green
Dot boxes - they all are these days, both the brand names and the cheapies
from China. If you buy a non-factory modded box these days you're either a
dill or supremely unlucky. There's still a few idiots with more pimples
than brains in some shops who'll try to tell you that region unlocking is
illegal but that's bull****, it's bypassing Macrovision that's illegal
(thanks to Sony) but that's got nothing whatsoever to do with regions.

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

DJ
November 27th 04, 11:12 PM
Actually the reason that all DVD players sold in Aus have to be region free
was because the ACCC decreed it so, saying that region coding was
anti-competitive. And they are right :-)

"DRS" > wrote in message
> "spodosaurus" > wrote in message
>
>> DRS wrote:
>>> Either way, the fact is if you buy a DVD player
>>> in Oz these days and it's not multizoned you have every right to feel
>>> aggrieved.
>>
>> Are you sure about this? I thought the majority of DVD players here
>> were still R4 only out of the box.
>
> No way. Spend some time over at aus.dvd. People simply refused to buy
> non-modified boxes so the manufacturers had no choice. My Pioneer 355 is
> multizone and unlike with the 344 I didn't have to look for the modded
> Green
> Dot boxes - they all are these days, both the brand names and the cheapies
> from China. If you buy a non-factory modded box these days you're either
> dill or supremely unlucky. There's still a few idiots with more pimples
> than brains in some shops who'll try to tell you that region unlocking is
> illegal but that's bull****, it's bypassing Macrovision that's illegal
> (thanks to Sony) but that's got nothing whatsoever to do with regions.
>
> --
>
> "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and
> more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day
> the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and
> the
> White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
> H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Robert Schuh
November 29th 04, 06:21 AM
Lurker wrote:

> Lurker wrote:
> > I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
> > Christmas gifts has come up.
> >
> > One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
> > Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
> > company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
> > here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
> > the US?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Lurker
>
> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> I hadn't remembered regional coding when this was brought up last night.
> I wouldn't work. I will see if I can't find it somewhere in the states.
> I am not terribly sure how much effort was put into looking for it in
> the first place.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Lurker

This is available at Amazon.com.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Lucas Buck
December 1st 04, 09:37 PM
On 25 Nov 2004 14:06:25 -0800, (Lurker) wrote:

>I am at my familie's for Thanksgiving and as usual the discussion of
>Christmas gifts has come up.
>
>One of my nieces has said that she really wants the movie Disney movie
>Pinocchio. The only place that we have been able to find it is with a
>company called dStore that does not ship outside of Australia. Anyone
>here able to lend us a hand and get one shipped to Washington state in
>the US?
>
>TIA,
>
>Lurker

try eBay!