PDA

View Full Version : Re: What the f*ck is "Thanksgiving"?

John Hanson
November 26th 04, 03:09 AM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:01:11 -0500, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"Terry Noble" > wrote in message
>> What on earth is Thanksgiving and why do those dumb, fat Yanks
>> celebrate it?
>>
>> What are they celebrating, a smoking gun? Or are they celebrating the
>> death of the thousands of innocent people they've killed in the past
>> few years in their lust for oil?
>>
>> Either way, may it *never* infest the British Isles.
>
>I dont really know either..Thanksgiving is important to me cuz its usually
>near my birthday. My birthday is Nov.26
>
>Jenny and I cooked a little turkey and went shopping.Walmart was open all
>day and we really needed a down comforter that was on sale.

You live in Florida. What the **** do you need a down comforter for?
Nevermind! Down provides insulation even when wet.

Jim
November 26th 04, 03:12 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:01:11 -0500, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>"Terry Noble" > wrote in message
>>> What on earth is Thanksgiving and why do those dumb, fat Yanks
>>> celebrate it?
>>>
>>> What are they celebrating, a smoking gun? Or are they celebrating the
>>> death of the thousands of innocent people they've killed in the past
>>> few years in their lust for oil?
>>>
>>> Either way, may it *never* infest the British Isles.
>>
>>I dont really know either..Thanksgiving is important to me cuz its usually
>>near my birthday. My birthday is Nov.26
>>
>>Jenny and I cooked a little turkey and went shopping.Walmart was open all
>>day and we really needed a down comforter that was on sale.
>>
> You live in Florida. What the **** do you need a down comforter for?
> Nevermind! Down provides insulation even when wet.

Thats the beauty of a down comforter...it works in any temperature. We also
have air conditioning.

Jim

Don
November 26th 04, 03:18 AM
In article >,
says...

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:01:11 -0500, "Jim" > wrote
>in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>"Terry Noble" > wrote in message
>>> What on earth is Thanksgiving and why do those dumb, fat Yanks
>>> celebrate it?
>>>
>>> What are they celebrating, a smoking gun? Or are they celebrating the
>>> death of the thousands of innocent people they've killed in the past
>>> few years in their lust for oil?
>>>
>>> Either way, may it *never* infest the British Isles.
>>
>>I dont really know either..Thanksgiving is important to me cuz its usually
>>near my birthday. My birthday is Nov.26
>>
>>Jenny and I cooked a little turkey and went shopping.Walmart was open all
>>day and we really needed a down comforter that was on sale.
>>
>You live in Florida. What the **** do you need a down comforter for?
>Nevermind! Down provides insulation even when wet.

Uh..no. You are thinking of wool.
I had a down sleeping bag, replaced it with a synthetic one after a cold wet
night.

John Hanson
November 26th 04, 03:25 AM
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:18:18 -0600, (Don)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >,
says...

>>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:01:11 -0500, "Jim" > wrote
>>in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>I dont really know either..Thanksgiving is important to me cuz its usually
>>>near my birthday. My birthday is Nov.26
>>>
>>>Jenny and I cooked a little turkey and went shopping.Walmart was open all
>>>day and we really needed a down comforter that was on sale.
>>>
>>You live in Florida. What the **** do you need a down comforter for?
>>Nevermind! Down provides insulation even when wet.
>>
>Uh..no. You are thinking of wool.
>I had a down sleeping bag, replaced it with a synthetic one after a cold wet
>night.

You're right. My bad!

Larry Hodges
November 26th 04, 08:00 AM
John Hanson wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:01:11 -0500, "Jim" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>> "Terry Noble" > wrote in message
>>> What on earth is Thanksgiving and why do those dumb, fat Yanks
>>> celebrate it?
>>>
>>> What are they celebrating, a smoking gun? Or are they celebrating
>>> the death of the thousands of innocent people they've killed in the
>>> past few years in their lust for oil?
>>>
>>> Either way, may it *never* infest the British Isles.
>>
>> I dont really know either..Thanksgiving is important to me cuz its
>> usually near my birthday. My birthday is Nov.26
>>
>> Jenny and I cooked a little turkey and went shopping.Walmart was
>> open all day and we really needed a down comforter that was on sale.
>>
> You live in Florida. What the **** do you need a down comforter for?
> Nevermind! Down provides insulation even when wet.

err...rong. Down insulated nothing when wet. The insulation down provides
is the air that it has trapped. And when it's wet, there is no air.
And...no insulation.

Wool on the other hand will insulate wet.

--
-Larry
Canada...leading the world in being just north of the United States.

Esca
November 26th 04, 03:44 PM
"Will Brink" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Kevin) wrote:

you left out a very significant element

historical documents prove it was God, that the settlers were giving thanks
to, in naming the holiday thanksgiving

while the holiday is pretty secular in its celebration by many, it
undoubtedly was designed as a religious holiday

whit
[i]
> [...]
> 1973.' (more)
> posted by S Mc at 10:32 AM [edit]
>

> Tuesday, July 22, 2003
>
> Transport: 'UK commute 'longest in Europe'' / BBC News 22/7/03'
> British commuters have the longest journeys to work in Europe with the
> average trip taking 45 minutes, according to a study. That is almost
> twice as long as the commute faced by Italians and seven minutes more
> than the European Union average, the RAC Foundation said. Almost half of
> the motorists questioned said that if their car journey time doubled,
> they would simply allow more time for their journey. Only 7% would make
> the switch to public transport.' (more)
>
> Health: : 'Britain the worst place in western Europe for IVF access' /
> Daily Telegraph 3/7/03
> 'Britain still languishes at the bottom of the European league table for
> IVF access, a study published yesterday showed. The postcode lottery of
> NHS fertility treatment means that couples in Britain are among the
> least likely to get in-vitro fertilisation in western Europe, the study
> [presented at the ESHRE conference in Madrid] found. In 2000, there were
> 585 cycles of IVF treatment per million people in Britain - compared
> with more than 1,000 cycles per million in most of Scandinavia. In
> Denmark, the country topping the league table, almost no one has to wait
> for state-funded fertility treatment. Co-author Prof Karl Nygren, of
> Sophiahemmet University College, Stockholm, said: "The procedure is well
> accepted in the UK and the laws are not restrictive. But people cannot
> afford it." (more)
>
> Health: 'Britain has highest obesity levels in EU' / Financial Times
> 25/6/03
> 'The UK has the highest obesity levels in the EU, with 20% of the
> population having a body mass index of over 30, according to a report
> published yesterday. Analysing the health status of Europe's population
> as it ages, the report [by Pfizer], also found respiratory diseases
> killed considerably more people in Britain than any other EU country.'
>
> Health: 'UK has highest prevalence of allergy in Europe' / BBC News
> 24/6/08
> 'The UK has the highest prevalence of allergy in Europe and ranks among
> the highest in the world..affecting one in three of the population. Of
> these up to five million have severe problems..[but] allergy services
> are "totally inadequate" and cannot meet the sheer number of referrals,
> according to a Royal College of Physicians report.' (more)
>
> Economy: 'British lead Europe when it comes to shoplifting' / AFP 18/6/03
> 'Britain suffered more losses due to shoplifting over the past year than
> any other European nation, according to a study by the Centre for Retail
> Research. British retailers lost 1.69% of their overall turnover for the
> past year to theft. Portugal and Finland were next on the list, with
> shopkeepers in both countries reporting losses to theft worth 1.44%of

David Cohen
November 26th 04, 03:54 PM
"Esca" > wrote
> "Will Brink" > wrote
> oppression by
>> > >
> you left out a very significant element
>
> historical documents prove it was God, that the settlers were giving
> thanks
> to, in naming the holiday thanksgiving
>
> while the holiday is pretty secular in its celebration by many, it
> undoubtedly was designed as a religious holiday

Don't tell that to school kids in Kalifornia, or you are in SUCH big
trouble!

So, did you elect a Governor yet, or you just gonaa' toss a coin?

David

Esca
November 26th 04, 04:04 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Esca" > wrote
> > "Will Brink" > wrote
> > oppression by
> >> > >
> > you left out a very significant element
> >
> > historical documents prove it was God, that the settlers were giving
> > thanks
> > to, in naming the holiday thanksgiving
> >
> > while the holiday is pretty secular in its celebration by many, it
> > undoubtedly was designed as a religious holiday
>
> Don't tell that to school kids in Kalifornia, or you are in SUCH big
> trouble!
>
> So, did you elect a Governor yet, or you just gonaa' toss a coin?
>
> David

rossi is the WINNER. he won the first count. he won the recount (which had
the addition of over a 1,000 "misplaced but mysteriously now found" ballots
AND the process of election people "correcting" some ballots for intent (if
a person forgot to sign a mail-in, or circled a name, instead of filling in
the oval)

imo, if a ballot is not properly completed, it should not count. however,
the law in WA state says otherwise.
so...

the dems will now be able to request a hand recount (note that there is no
evidence whatsoever that hand counts are more accurate than machine
recounts) in SELECTED counties. see: cherry picking. but, they gotta pay
for it...

UNLESS

the recount in the selected counties results in a change of winner, to
gregoire. in that case, they will not have to pay for the selective
recount. instead, this would trigger a STATEWIDE hand recount to determine
the winner

this has never happened btw. of course, rossi's win is now by 42 votes out
of 2.8 million

that is an amazing margin

the mind boggles

whit

Neil Gendzwill
November 26th 04, 04:11 PM
David Cohen wrote:

> "Esca" > wrote
>>while the holiday is pretty secular in its celebration by many, it
>>undoubtedly was designed as a religious holiday
>
> Don't tell that to school kids in Kalifornia, or you are in SUCH big
> trouble!

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_147.html

Neil

Lordy
November 26th 04, 04:20 PM
Will Brink > wrote in
:

> Economy: 'British lead Europe when it comes to shoplifting' / AFP
> 18/6/03 'Britain suffered more losses due to shoplifting over the past
> year than any other European nation, according to a study by the
> Centre for Retail Research. British retailers lost 1.69% of their
> overall turnover for the past year to theft.

Obvoiusly some we have "excelled in" year after year. This is the 3rd
year running we have been the best shoplifters in the EU for example.

Cant be arsed to respond to all points, because it donest change
anything. People can always find "stats" to support their argument.
However I did noticed most of these figures were limited to the EU. So I
thought, lemme just compare one to the US. So I just picked the last
one.

http://web.soc.ufl.edu/SRP/NRSS_2001.pdf

This is not to score points but just to highlight your blinkered
paranoia(?) to anyone else that may be reading.

Did you get beaten up by a British kid at school or something? Bet he
was real foppish but he "handed you your arse" or something? Or maybe
spurned by a British woman? Or maybe you are a lowlife who only feels
complete if you can convince yourself there are people lower than you?
Similar to how paedophiles get a good beating in prison from other
inmates. I just dont get it. Are there subliminal messages coming
through the stations you watch?

--
Lordy

John M. Williams
November 30th 04, 03:34 AM
aj > wrote:

>The USA is there to build a perception of threat in the mind of its
>voting citizens. And to blow up buildings and people with taxpayer
>dollars so they can rebuild it with more taxpayer dollars.

And to kill jihadists from all over the Muslim world. Kind of like
Hogan's Alley, except with real live terrorists.

Works for me.

DHW
November 30th 04, 06:03 PM
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:09:51 +0000, Mark Preston
> wrote:

>Terry Noble wrote:
>
>> What on earth is Thanksgiving and why do those dumb, fat Yanks
>> celebrate it?
>>
>> What are they celebrating, a smoking gun? Or are they celebrating the
>> death of the thousands of innocent people they've killed in the past
>> few years in their lust for oil?
>>
>> Either way, may it *never* infest the British Isles.
>
>I was amazed to see that the "dumb yanks" who seem to enjoy posting in
>uk.misc for some sado-masochistic reason or other have no ****ing idea
>what their own celebrations are all about!
>
>For those who care, its to celebrate the early colonists being rescued
>from inevitable stavation, disease, death and total extermination
>because of their complete failure to cope with the condition in the "new
>world". The really sick, foul and disgusting thing about the celebration
>is that they were rescued by the native Indians that those colonists
>went on to exterminate....

From Columbus' arrival until 1776 I believe it would be safe to say
that any attrocities committed against native Americans were committed
by the European community or their possessions.

What is that? 284 years.

Christopher Columbus: European
Pilgrims: Europeans on Holiday
Smallpox: Introduced to the New World by Europeans

The United States has been oppressing people for just under 230 years.
That is just a blink of the eye in terms of European oppression.
D. Wells

Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

Lucas Buck
November 30th 04, 08:59 PM

http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110005956

aj
November 30th 04, 10:10 PM
On 2004-11-30, John M Williams > wrote:
> aj > wrote:
>>
>>The USA is there to build a perception of threat in the mind of its
>>voting citizens. And to blow up buildings and people with taxpayer
>>dollars so they can rebuild it with more taxpayer dollars.
>
> And to kill jihadists from all over the Muslim world. Kind of like
> Hogan's Alley, except with real live terrorists.
>
> Works for me.

The result, basically being to create more.

Somewhat related:
http://atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/FK30Aa02.html

--
-aj

John M. Williams
December 1st 04, 02:14 AM
aj > wrote:

>On 2004-11-30, John M Williams > wrote:
>> aj > wrote:
>>>
>>>The USA is there to build a perception of threat in the mind of its
>>>voting citizens. And to blow up buildings and people with taxpayer
>>>dollars so they can rebuild it with more taxpayer dollars.
>>
>> And to kill jihadists from all over the Muslim world. Kind of like
>> Hogan's Alley, except with real live terrorists.
>>
>> Works for me.
>
>The result, basically being to create more.

Initially. Eventually, not.

aj
December 1st 04, 04:29 AM
On 2004-12-01, John M Williams > wrote:
> aj > wrote:

>>> And to kill jihadists from all over the Muslim world. Kind of like
>>> Hogan's Alley, except with real live terrorists.
>>>
>>> Works for me.
>>
>>The result, basically being to create more.
>
> Initially. Eventually, not.

Yes, I've heard that the sun will eventually expand to encompass the
Earth's orbit.

--
-aj

John M. Williams
December 1st 04, 04:55 AM
aj > wrote:
> John M Williams > wrote:
>> aj > wrote:

>>>The result, basically being to create more.
>>
>> Initially. Eventually, not.
>
>Yes, I've heard that the sun will eventually expand to encompass the
>Earth's orbit.

Uh-huh. And Ronald Reagan was going to plunge us all into nuclear
war.

Try not to wring your hands too much. They'll get really chapped.

John HUDSON
December 1st 04, 09:06 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:14:53 -0500, John M. Williams
> wrote:

>aj > wrote:

>>> And to kill jihadists from all over the Muslim world. Kind of like
>>> Hogan's Alley, except with real live terrorists.
>>>
>>> Works for me.
>>
>>The result, basically being to create more.
>
>Initially. Eventually, not.

These fanatics declared 'war' on those of us that are not of their
faith.

It really is time the woolly-minded liberals that have us fighting a
*war* with our hands tied behind our backs, got their act together and
stopped making us feel guilty for taking the necessary action to curb
and defeat the enemies of world freedom!!

Those people opposing the fight against Islamic terrorism are
seditious and need dealing with accordingly. Supporting and giving
succour to the enemy in time of war is a capital offence!!

We *are* at *war* have no doubt!!