PDA

View Full Version : Re: Why Are There No Black Hunters?

John Hanson
November 26th 04, 03:33 AM
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:21:09 GMT, "Bob" > wrote in
soc.culture.hmong:

>> >"Gomez"?? Not a good idea to throw stones when you
>> >live in a glass house.
>>
>> Good God, man. I'm sure that name is made up and the person using it
>> is a dude.
>
>...and that's even scarier.

....and I'm a pigmy computer programmer from Africa living in Calcutta.
It really is a small world.

David
November 26th 04, 07:24 PM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:21:09 GMT, "Bob" > wrote in
> soc.culture.hmong:

> >> Good God, man. I'm sure that name is made up and the person using it
> >> is a dude.
> >
> >...and that's even scarier.
>
> ...and I'm a pigmy computer programmer from Africa living in Calcutta.
> It really is a small world.

John, have you seen this?
http://www.live-shot.com

you can actually hunt game in real time.
(Buddy can't be involved however!)

John Hanson
November 26th 04, 08:13 PM
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:24:46 GMT, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:21:09 GMT, "Bob" > wrote in
>> soc.culture.hmong:

>> >...and that's even scarier.
>>
>> ...and I'm a pigmy computer programmer from Africa living in Calcutta.
>> It really is a small world.
>
>John, have you seen this?
>http://www.live-shot.com
>
>you can actually hunt game in real time.
>(Buddy can't be involved however!)

I've heard about it. They're already talking about changing the
hunting laws in Texas because of it.

brushoff
November 27th 04, 09:53 AM
John Hanson > wrote in message >...
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:24:46 GMT, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> >> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:21:09 GMT, "Bob" > wrote in
> >> soc.culture.hmong:

> >> ...and I'm a pigmy computer programmer from Africa living in Calcutta.
> >> It really is a small world.
> >
> >John, have you seen this?
> >http://www.live-shot.com
> >
> >you can actually hunt game in real time.
> >(Buddy can't be involved however!)
> >
> I've heard about it. They're already talking about changing the
> hunting laws in Texas because of it.

Bush is eating th Rice, we know arm and arm, hill billy got the taste
of the black chik

cow_racer
December 2nd 04, 08:54 PM
Some minority hunters face racial confrontations in woods

BY ERIC SHARP

Knight Ridder Newspapers

DETROIT - (KRT) - Last week's column about the six hunters killed in
Wisconsin
brought a lot of e-mails and telephone calls from black hunters in
Michigan. A
Hmong immigrant was charged with the shootings, and the black hunters didn't
condone them. But they said they had been subjected to the same racist slurs
and threats that might have triggered the Asian man's rampage.

I don't doubt those stories because I have been with white hunters who made
racist comments when we saw black hunters in the fields. What really
amazes me
is how white hunters born and raised in northern Michigan, where they
grew up
with almost no contact with black people, are often as racist as any Ku Klux
Klan member born and raised in the black belts of Mississippi or Alabama.

It was interesting that most of the black callers thought I was
automatically
accepting the word of the surviving white hunters, who said there was no
reason
for the killings and denied that anyone on their side made any racial slurs.
The truth is I have no idea what happened other than what I've learned by
reading the accounts of the incident and talking to people who probably
don't
know much more than I do.

And while I don't want to seem like a bleeding-heart liberal apologist
for bad
acts by the racially oppressed, I have learned enough about Hmong-white
relations across this country in the last week that I would give 6-1
that one
of the white hunters did say something nasty, and this time he said it
to the
wrong guy.

Chai Vang, the 36-year-old Laotian immigrant charged with killing six
people and
wounding two more in what began as a trespassing dispute, comes from a
culture
with a long tradition of hunting but no tradition of game laws, bag
limits and
formal hunting seasons as they are understood by Americans.

That lack of understanding has created resentment among some hunters,
who say
the Asians are notorious poachers and game violators and often trash rural
areas with litter and garbage. Chai Vang once was ticketed by a
Minnesota game
warden for a fishing violation, taking 93 crappies above the legal limit.

The Hmong are here because they were armed and trained by us to fight on the
American side during the Vietnam War. They have a long tradition as fighters
and their courage was legendary, and sometimes so was their savagery.
When we
decided to bug out, so did many of the Hmong.

Police in Wisconsin said Vang admitted the shootings, but they still don't
understand why he climbed down from the tree stand where he was trespassing,
methodically removed the telescopic sight from his SKS rifle and shot at the
other hunters until the 20-shot clip was empty.

Several black hunters in Michigan said the police need look no further
than the
racist epithets that Vang said the white hunters unleashed on him when they
found him on their land. He also claimed that the white hunters were the
first
to fire a shot at him, something the two survivors denied.

It might turn out that Vang was an isolated nutcase. With more than 186,000
Hmong in the U.S., as of the 2000 census, and about 40,000 of them in
Wisconsin
and Minnesota, there is as much potential for violence perpetuated by a few
deranged or evil people among the Hmong as among any other group. But
the more
I read about the tension between the Hmong community and its white
neighbors in
Minnesota and Wisconsin, the more I understand the feelings of the black
hunters who called.

Several of the black hunters said they had been in situations through
the years
where white hunters leveled guns at them or even fired shots nearby.

"I was rabbit hunting with a black friend near Newaygo a few years ago
when we
met a group of six white guys who were rabbit hunting, too," said one black
man, who, like the others, asked that his name not be used. "Three of them
started on us right away, asking what we were doing in their hunting
place, and
why didn't we stay in Detroit where we belonged.

"The other three white guys didn't say anything, just stood there. One
of the
loudmouths told us that we had better leave if we knew what was good for
us. We
were on public land, and I was so mad I was about ready to make a stand.
But my
friend is a lot cooler head, and he said that it wasn't worth it and we
should
just go. So we left, and as we walked back to the car, I could hear three
loudmouths laughing and calling us every nasty name you can think of and
saying
how we better never come back if we knew what was good for us. I wasn't
ready
to go kill them all because of what they said, but can you imagine how I
felt?"

If white and black Americans still feel those tensions after living
side-by-side
for nearly 400 years, how do we adjust to a people as exotic as the Hmong?

One problem is that many Third World people have such a tough time surviving
day-to-day that they haven't had the luxury of developing a strong
conservation
ethic. A few years ago in San Francisco, police found Hmong with
handmade bows
and arrows hunting squirrels, marmots and other furry critters year-round in
Golden Gate Park. When they were ticketed, the Hmong couldn't understand why
anyone would deny them such a bounty.

Though there is real and sometimes justified resentment from white
hunters for
what they see as unethical hunting practices by the Hmong, you only need to
talk to a Wisconsin or Minnesota hunter for a few minutes before the
criticisms
change from hunting activities to social issues like polygamy and marrying
girls at 13 and 14, practices many whites think are common among the Asian
immigrants.

And you only need to talk to black hunters in Michigan for the same
amount of
time to hear stories about confrontations with whites that had the same
potential for violence that we saw in Wisconsin. This one should be a
lesson to
every hunter.

---

2004, Detroit Free Press.