PDA

View Full Version : Computer desk..important

Jim
November 28th 04, 01:49 AM
What do you all use for a desk at home for your computer? I'm interested in
opinions regarding ergonomic set up. I dont really like the pullout keyboard
thing.
I'm asking because Im sure there are alot of people here who spend alot of
time sitting in a chair with a comp.
My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much. Should the monitor
be directly in front of my face?

Jim

User
November 28th 04, 03:17 AM
> What do you all use for a desk at home for your computer? I'm interested
> in opinions regarding ergonomic set up. I dont really like the pullout
> keyboard thing.
> I'm asking because Im sure there are alot of people here who spend alot of
> time sitting in a chair with a comp.

I have spent 12+ hours a day in front of a PC for the past ten years (that's
about to change tho).

I can't work on anything other than a big, flat table.

Tifosi Bob
November 28th 04, 03:51 AM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> What do you all use for a desk at home for your computer? I'm interested
in
> opinions regarding ergonomic set up. I dont really like the pullout
keyboard
> thing.
> I'm asking because Im sure there are alot of people here who spend alot of
> time sitting in a chair with a comp.
> My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much. Should the monitor
> be directly in front of my face?
>
> Jim

Buy a notebook with a wireless router and type anywhere you want, even on
the ****ter ( which is where I'm typing this right now ). Check out Dell,
they have a super light-weight notebook under 3 pounds.

spodosaurus
November 28th 04, 08:55 AM
Jim wrote:
> What do you all use for a desk at home for your computer? I'm interested in
> opinions regarding ergonomic set up. I dont really like the pullout keyboard
> thing.

Those annoy me. I like my wireless optical mouse and keyboard.

> I'm asking because Im sure there are alot of people here who spend alot of
> time sitting in a chair with a comp.

See below. The chair is key. I bought mine when my right hip shattered.
It's excellent, and well worth the money (that I so did not have at the
time).

> My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much.

Perhaps you should increase the sensitivity of the mouse so the motion
is more from the wrist. My elbow doesn't move much at all unles I'm
gaming, and even then, not too much.

> Should the monitor
> be directly in front of my face?

Are you talking height, as in level with your eyes, or are you talking
distance from you? I don't like sitting too close to my monitor. I know
the shielding is supposed to block all the xrays, but I still prefer at
least 18 inches between my face and the screen. Helps my eyes, too.

I use a big ol' jarrah desk from my mother-in-law and a bloody excellent
chair. You can't work effectively if you're struggling with a sore back
from a crap chair. My next step is to bring my monitor up about 1.5 inches.

HTH,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

ray miller
November 28th 04, 09:59 AM
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:49:54 -0500, "Jim" > wrote:

>What do you all use for a desk at home for your computer? I'm interested in
>opinions regarding ergonomic set up. I dont really like the pullout keyboard
>thing.
>I'm asking because Im sure there are alot of people here who spend alot of
>time sitting in a chair with a comp.
>My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much. Should the monitor
>be directly in front of my face?

avoid pullout keyboards.
Get as big a desk as possible. Flat screen monitors leave more space
free and are less reflective. Use a soft wrist pad in front of the
keyboard - the gel ones are great. You should look for a mousepad that
has in integral wrist pad too. Try to avoid backlight behind the
monitor. The monitor should be below the eyeline, but might need
raising a little of fthe desk depending on your height.

Raise the refresh rate on a CRT so it doesn't flicker - 75-80 hz
usually does the trick - get it as high as it'll go.

Make sure you can sit at the desk comfortably without twisting your
body, and that everything is within reach. There should be no wires to
trip over. The chair should be height adjustable and stable. Cheap
chairs are a waste of space.

If you don't like mice, look fpr other gadgets like finger mice, pen
pads, roller balls etc. I always go back to the mouse though.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/184/182

John M. Williams
November 28th 04, 04:19 PM
spodosaurus > wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>>
>> My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much.
>
>Perhaps you should increase the sensitivity of the mouse so the motion
>is more from the wrist. My elbow doesn't move much at all unles I'm
>gaming, and even then, not too much.

Or get an optical trackball, e.g., Logitech Marble Mouse. No elbow
problems; less wrist problems; minimal desk space. It's also better
for gaming once you learn how to use it.

Mistress Krista
November 28th 04, 04:52 PM
"John M. Williams" > wrote in message
> spodosaurus > wrote:
>
>>Jim wrote:
>>>
>>> My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much.
>>
>>Perhaps you should increase the sensitivity of the mouse so the motion
>>is more from the wrist. My elbow doesn't move much at all unles I'm
>>gaming, and even then, not too much.
>
> Or get an optical trackball, e.g., Logitech Marble Mouse. No elbow
> problems; less wrist problems; minimal desk space. It's also better
> for gaming once you learn how to use it.

And/or learn keyboard shortcuts. I try to take my hands off the keyboard as
infrequently as possible. The more you can cut down on mousing, the better.
Notice whether you are hitching your shoulder to use the mouse - a common
habit. Sometimes it helps to have the mouse a little lower, although that
comes with the opposite problem of cranking the wrist back. Some folks like
a wireless mouse, and they switch back and forth when hands get sore.

Your wrist angle during typing is also important. Avoid backwards wrist
extension (occurs with keyboard too high). Type like your piano teacher
taught you how to play: as if you were holding a bubble.

I find the most comfortable position, since most chairs and setups are too
big for me, is seated crosslegged.

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

John Hanson
November 28th 04, 05:42 PM
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:59:59 GMT, ray miller
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:49:54 -0500, "Jim" > wrote:
>
>>What do you all use for a desk at home for your computer? I'm interested in
>>opinions regarding ergonomic set up. I dont really like the pullout keyboard
>>thing.
>>I'm asking because Im sure there are alot of people here who spend alot of
>>time sitting in a chair with a comp.
>>My elbow seems to get agrravated when I mouse too much. Should the monitor
>>be directly in front of my face?
>
>avoid pullout keyboards.

I love my pullout keyboard. I like to lean back in my chair and type
away. When I'm gaming, I use mostly the keys on the right side of the
keyboard so I push the keyboard off to my left side with my left hand
on the arrow keys and right on the mouse, of course.

Speaking of gaming, I've been seeing a guy named Roger Ramjet while
playing Team Fortress on the Girlpower server lately. I didn't
realize that he was a character in a cartoon from the 60s.

ray miller
November 28th 04, 06:55 PM
>I love my pullout keyboard. I like to lean back in my chair and type
>away. When I'm gaming, I use mostly the keys on the right side of the
>keyboard so I push the keyboard off to my left side with my left hand
>on the arrow keys and right on the mouse, of course.

A wireless keyboard would be even more adaptable.

ray
--
rmnsuk
273/184/182

ray miller
November 28th 04, 07:02 PM
>I find the most comfortable position, since most chairs and setups are too
>big for me, is seated crosslegged.

I nearly bought one of the Balans type chairs.
http://www.backfriendly.com/siteshopper.htm?cid=3&iid=80
I tried one at work for a couple of days and they are surprisingly
comfortable. One problem though is that you can't move the chair about
so easily.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/184/182

John Hanson
November 28th 04, 07:19 PM
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:55:28 GMT, ray miller
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>I love my pullout keyboard. I like to lean back in my chair and type
>>away. When I'm gaming, I use mostly the keys on the right side of the
>>keyboard so I push the keyboard off to my left side with my left hand
>>on the arrow keys and right on the mouse, of course.
>
>A wireless keyboard would be even more adaptable.

Not in my case. Mine sits 3 inches below the desktop which puts in a
much more comfortable position. Plus, it would smack into my monitor
if that were the case.

John M. Williams
November 28th 04, 07:25 PM
ray miller > wrote:

>>I find the most comfortable position, since most chairs and setups are too
>>big for me, is seated crosslegged.
>
>I nearly bought one of the Balans type chairs.
>http://www.backfriendly.com/siteshopper.htm?cid=3&iid=80
>I tried one at work for a couple of days and they are surprisingly
>comfortable.

I used one for a year or two. It gets old after a while.

>One problem though is that you can't move the chair about
>so easily.

Yes. And you can't "just stand up," either.

Swiss balls are just about as good.