PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone staying?

John Hanson
November 28th 04, 06:09 PM
Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
for that day.

David Cohen
November 28th 04, 07:23 PM
"John Hanson" > wrote
> Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
> for that day.

Me, neither.

David

Keith Hobman
November 28th 04, 07:35 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
> for that day.

Meet hotel. River Palms.

Keith Hobman
November 28th 04, 07:37 PM
In article et>, "David
Cohen" > wrote:

> "John Hanson" > wrote
> > Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
> > for that day.
>
> Me, neither.

oops. read that wrong.

Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.

David Cohen
November 29th 04, 01:11 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>> "John Hanson" > wrote
>> > Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>> > for that day.
>>
>> Me, neither.
>
> oops. read that wrong.
>
> Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.

Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one of
the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!

We rock!

David

Lucas Buck
November 29th 04, 05:01 AM
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:09:39 -0600, John Hanson >
wrote:

>Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>for that day.

Then it's already too late; you'll never get thru that COMDEX crowd.
<snort>

Art S
November 29th 04, 05:19 AM
"Lucas Buck" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:09:39 -0600, John Hanson >
> wrote:
>
> >Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
> >for that day.
>
> Then it's already too late; you'll never get thru that COMDEX crowd.
> <snort>

Hunh? Lucas made a mistake? Oh my God!

(COMDEX 2004 has been "postponed" to November 2005:
http://www.comdex.com/lasvegas/press_releases/?prid=477)

Art

John Hanson
November 29th 04, 05:33 AM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:19:01 GMT, "Art S" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>"Lucas Buck" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:09:39 -0600, John Hanson >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>> >for that day.
>>
>> Then it's already too late; you'll never get thru that COMDEX crowd.
>> <snort>
>>

>Hunh? Lucas made a mistake? Oh my God!
>
>(COMDEX 2004 has been "postponed" to November 2005:
>http://www.comdex.com/lasvegas/press_releases/?prid=477)

I see I can get the same rate as Keith at the Riviera.

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 05:51 PM
In article et>, "David
Cohen" > wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote
> > "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >> "John Hanson" > wrote
> >>
> >> Me, neither.
> >
> > oops. read that wrong.
> >
> > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
>
> Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one of
> the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!

Dude.

It's the middle of the freakin' desert. If you charged anything nobody
would come.

HTH.

Lee Michaels
November 29th 04, 05:55 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote

> In article et>, "David
> Cohen" > wrote:

LV

> > > oops. read that wrong.
> > >
> > > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
> >
> > Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one
of
> > the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
>
> Dude.
>
> It's the middle of the freakin' desert. If you charged anything nobody
> would come.

As someone who lives in the great barren North, I am certain that you are
VERY familiar with this basic economic principle. ;-)

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 06:06 PM
In article <[email protected]_s52>, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote
>
> > In article et>, "David
> > Cohen" > wrote:
> >
> > > "Keith Hobman" > wrote
> LV

> > > Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one
> of
> > > the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
> >
> > Dude.
> >
> > It's the middle of the freakin' desert. If you charged anything nobody
> > would come.
> >
> As someone who lives in the great barren North, I am certain that you are
> VERY familiar with this basic economic principle. ;-)

Breadbasket of the world, BEYOTCH!

Barren. [snort]

This is God's country. Except from Decemeber to February.

Jim Ranieri
November 29th 04, 06:28 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote
> > "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >> "John Hanson" > wrote
> >>
> >> Me, neither.
> >
> > oops. read that wrong.
> >
> > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
>
> Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one of
> the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
>
> We rock!

They obviously have Hobman pegged as a high roller.

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 06:37 PM
In article >, "Jim Ranieri"
> wrote:

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> ink.net...

> > > oops. read that wrong.
> > >
> > > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
> >
> > Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one of
> > the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
> >
> > We rock!
> >

> They obviously have Hobman pegged as a high roller.

Jeez. I'm not even a low roller.

:^)

Mick R.
November 29th 04, 07:29 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]_s52>, "Lee Michaels"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote
> >
> > > In article et>,
"David

> > LV

> > of
> > >
> > > Dude.
> > >
> > > It's the middle of the freakin' desert. If you charged anything nobody
> > > would come.
> > >
> > As someone who lives in the great barren North, I am certain that you
are
> > VERY familiar with this basic economic principle. ;-)
>
> Breadbasket of the world, BEYOTCH!
>
> Barren. [snort]
>
> This is God's country. Except from Decemeber to February.

Just like here! Only for the opposite reason.
I'm expecting at least one week around 45C this year.

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 07:32 PM
In article >, "Mick R."
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > In article <[email protected]_s52>, "Lee Michaels"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > "Keith Hobman" > wrote

> "David

> in
> > > LV

> night.

> one
> > > of

> > > As someone who lives in the great barren North, I am certain that you
> are
> > > VERY familiar with this basic economic principle. ;-)
> >
> > Breadbasket of the world, BEYOTCH!
> >
> > Barren. [snort]
> >
> > This is God's country. Except from Decemeber to February.
>
> Just like here! Only for the opposite reason.
> I'm expecting at least one week around 45C this year.

We get one week or so around -45C or so...

Generally.

But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!

:^)

gman99
November 29th 04, 07:37 PM
> We get one week or so around -45C or so...
>
> Generally.
>
> But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!

It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air to
hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus system that
damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow when it's that cold
!

David Cohen
November 29th 04, 07:42 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>> > oops. read that wrong.
>> >
>> > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
>>
>> Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one of
>> the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
>
> Dude.
>
> It's the middle of the freakin' desert. If you charged anything nobody
> would come.

True. If it weren't for the low prices, Las Vegas has NOTHING to offer
tourists. Absolutely nothing!

Hell, we still have tumbleweeds blowing through town. Really. We do.

David

David Cohen
November 29th 04, 07:51 PM
"gman99" > wrote
>> We get one week or so around -45C or so...
>>
>> Generally.
>>
>> But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!
>
> It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air to
> hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus system
> that
> damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow when it's that
> cold
> !

So, which is colder: -40 C or -40 F ?

David

gman99
November 29th 04, 07:54 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
> "gman99" > wrote
> >> We get one week or so around -45C or so...
> >>
> >> Generally.
> >>
> >> But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!
> >
> > It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air
> > to hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus
> > system that
> > damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow when it's that
> > cold
> > !
>
> So, which is colder: -40 C or -40 F ?

Gee.....let me see....(-40*1.8 = -72 + 32 = -40-32 = -72 / 1.8 = -40
*1.8....)

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 07:58 PM
In article >,
(gman99) wrote:

> > We get one week or so around -45C or so...
> >
> > Generally.
> >
> > But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!
>
> It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air to
> hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus system that
> damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow when it's that cold
> !

Sure does. We call them 'blizzards'. Wind and snow and cold.

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 08:00 PM
In article et>, "David
Cohen" > wrote:

> "gman99" > wrote
> >> We get one week or so around -45C or so...
> >>
> >> Generally.
> >>
> >> But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!
> >
> > It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air to
> > hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus system
> > that
> > damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow when it's that
> > cold
> > !
>
> So, which is colder: -40 C or -40 F ?

As you prolly know at -40 they are the same.

But wind is the killer. When it gets to a certain temperature it is just
cold. But the wind means there is really nothing you can wear that keeps
out the cold.

David
November 29th 04, 08:03 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "gman99" > wrote
> >> We get one week or so around -45C or so...
> >>
> >> Generally.
> >>
> >> But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!
> >
> > It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air
> > hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus system
> > that
> > damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow when it's that
> > cold
> > !
>
> So, which is colder: -40 C or -40 F ?
>
> David

it's that cold they may as well be the same

Neil Gendzwill
November 29th 04, 08:31 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> But wind is the killer. When it gets to a certain temperature it is just
> cold. But the wind means there is really nothing you can wear that keeps
> out the cold.

Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".

And Keith's exaggerating. We don't ever see -45 C here. -42, yeah, but
not -45. At that temperature usually it's a huge low and there's no
wind, sky completely clear and blue. Quite beautiful. Sound travels
really well as the air is so dense. I love the -40 days.

Blizzard conditions are usually warmer, maybe -30 or at most -35. But
they feel way worse with the wind and the slightly increased humidity.

Neil

Keith Hobman
November 29th 04, 08:38 PM
In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
>
> > But wind is the killer. When it gets to a certain temperature it is just
> > cold. But the wind means there is really nothing you can wear that keeps
> > out the cold.
>
> Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".

Tell you what Neil. Try doing a 12 mile run at -40 in "Gore-Tex".

Even with very little wind. Hope you got a ball-warmer tho...

:^)

Idie
November 29th 04, 10:16 PM
Jim Ranieri > wrote in message

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> ink.net...

LV

> > > oops. read that wrong.
> > >
> > > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
> >
> > Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one
of
> > the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
> >
> > We rock!
> >

> They obviously have Hobman pegged as a high roller.

they think he will singlehandedly revive the reconstructive surgery industry

whit

John Hanson
November 30th 04, 01:42 AM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:31:31 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Keith Hobman wrote:
>
>> But wind is the killer. When it gets to a certain temperature it is just
>> cold. But the wind means there is really nothing you can wear that keeps
>> out the cold.
>
>Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".
>
>And Keith's exaggerating. We don't ever see -45 C here. -42, yeah, but
>not -45. At that temperature usually it's a huge low and there's no
>wind, sky completely clear and blue. Quite beautiful. Sound travels
>really well as the air is so dense. I love the -40 days.

We hit -60 Fahrenheit at Tower, MN about 10 years ago. It usually
only gets into the low -50s there though.

>Blizzard conditions are usually warmer, maybe -30 or at most -35. But
>they feel way worse with the wind and the slightly increased humidity.

That seems a bit warm for a blizzard normally.

Helgi Briem
November 30th 04, 11:31 AM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:51:28 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>> > Riveria. I booked through i4vegas and got a price of $37 per night.
>>
>> Gotta' love this town. A room in a major Las Vegas Strip hotel, in one of
>> the major tourist destinations in the world, for $37 a night!!
>
>Dude.
>
>It's the middle of the freakin' desert. If you charged anything nobody
>would come.

The profits from fleecing the gambling weenies more than
offset the minor losses from renting the rooms.

Sucker them in with cheap lodging, then suck them dry.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

spodosaurus
November 30th 04, 03:08 PM
John Hanson wrote:
> Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
> for that day.

MFW gang bang?

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

gman99
November 30th 04, 03:10 PM
(Keith Hobman) wrote:
> In article >,
> (gman99) wrote:
>
> > > We get one week or so around -45C or so...
> > >
> > > Generally.
> > >
> > > But it is a dry cold. Whatever difference that makes!
> >
> > It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air
> > to hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus
> > system that damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow
> > when it's that cold !
>
> Sure does. We call them 'blizzards'. Wind and snow and cold.

Wow...the rest of the country doesn't get any snow when it's about -25 or
colder...physics works differently out on the prairies ??

gman99
November 30th 04, 03:11 PM
(Keith Hobman) wrote:
> In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> > wrote:
>
> > Keith Hobman wrote:
> >
> > > But wind is the killer. When it gets to a certain temperature it is
> > > just cold. But the wind means there is really nothing you can wear
> > > that keeps out the cold.
> >
> > Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".
>
> Tell you what Neil. Try doing a 12 mile run at -40 in "Gore-Tex".
>
> Even with very little wind. Hope you got a ball-warmer tho...
>
> :^)

Kinda har dto BREATHE when your lungs FREEZE.

spodosaurus
November 30th 04, 03:11 PM
Mick R. wrote:
> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
>
>>In article <[email protected]_s52>, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:
>>

>>>"Keith Hobman" > wrote

> "David

> in
>
>>>LV

> night.

> one
>
>>>of

>>>As someone who lives in the great barren North, I am certain that you
>
> are
>
>>>VERY familiar with this basic economic principle. ;-)
>>
>>Breadbasket of the world, BEYOTCH!
>>
>>Barren. [snort]
>>
>>This is God's country. Except from Decemeber to February.
>

> Just like here! Only for the opposite reason.
> I'm expecting at least one week around 45C this year.

I bloody well hope not.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Neil Gendzwill
November 30th 04, 03:22 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> Tell you what Neil. Try doing a 12 mile run at -40 in "Gore-Tex".

I can't run 12 miles at any temperature. But my experience with really
cold weather has never been a problem with core temp - enough insulation
and wind-proofing takes care of that. It's the extremities and face
that are a problem. Especially running - I expect 12 miles in Sorels
isn't going to work and I'm pretty sure my feet will be blocks of ice if
I use my normal running shoes. And the wind on the face is a big
problem - cover it up with a scarf and it's hard to breath, plus it ices
up and causes glasses to fog like crazy.

Goretex is great stuff though - functionally windproof and breathable
enough for activity in the cold. You just don't realize how much heat
you're losing through wind until you stop it. I snowboard in an
uninsulated goretex shell, long-sleeved T-shirt and 100 weight fleece
down to -15C before I feel the need to add any more layers.

Neil

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 03:32 PM
In article >,
(gman99) wrote:

> (Keith Hobman) wrote:

> > > It's dry because at that temperature it's nearly impossible for the air
> > > to hold any moisture...add in a little windchill and ya have a bus
> > > system that damn well better be ON TIME !! At least it doesn't snow
> > > when it's that cold !
> >
> > Sure does. We call them 'blizzards'. Wind and snow and cold.
>
> Wow...the rest of the country doesn't get any snow when it's about -25 or
> colder...physics works differently out on the prairies ??

http://www.icomm.ca/hazards/meteorological/blizzard.html

Note wind chill

http://www.pnr-rpn.ec.gc.ca/air/wintersevere/blizzards_AB.en.html

Note temperature in -30's in the great Alberta 64 and the 89 blizzard it
hit -34.

And those are just blizzards. Snowfall when temperatures are extreme is
not uncommon at all. It's normally not a heavy snowfall, but it is not
unusual.

Most of the time we get the snowfall in the extreme cold when we are at
the edge of the systems. As you say, when we are locked into a cold snap
it is normally clear. But snow is not unusual.

We get some weird weather out here. I've seen it rain when it was -10C and
snow at +10C.

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 03:34 PM
In article >,
(gman99) wrote:

> (Keith Hobman) wrote:
> > In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> > > wrote:

> > > Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".
> >
> > Tell you what Neil. Try doing a 12 mile run at -40 in "Gore-Tex".
> >
> > Even with very little wind. Hope you got a ball-warmer tho...
> >
> > :^)
>
> Kinda har dto BREATHE when your lungs FREEZE.

You wear a scarf over your nose and mouth. Breathing the cold air is
normally not a problem. As long as you breath through your nose the air
will get warmed up well before it hits the lungs.

gman99
November 30th 04, 03:36 PM

> http://www.icomm.ca/hazards/meteorological/blizzard.html
>
> Note wind chill
>
> http://www.pnr-rpn.ec.gc.ca/air/wintersevere/blizzards_AB.en.html
>
> Note temperature in -30's in the great Alberta 64 and the 89 blizzard it
> hit -34.

I'm talking straight air temperature....I'm on the coast, it rarely goes
below -20. When I lived in Moncton it was around -30 for two weeks...clear
blue skies the whole time.

I understand that below -30 you'll get ice crystals but not snow and no
real accumulation.

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 03:39 PM
In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
>
> > Tell you what Neil. Try doing a 12 mile run at -40 in "Gore-Tex".
>
> I can't run 12 miles at any temperature. But my experience with really
> cold weather has never been a problem with core temp - enough insulation
> and wind-proofing takes care of that. It's the extremities and face
> that are a problem. Especially running - I expect 12 miles in Sorels
> isn't going to work and I'm pretty sure my feet will be blocks of ice if
> I use my normal running shoes. And the wind on the face is a big
> problem - cover it up with a scarf and it's hard to breath, plus it ices
> up and causes glasses to fog like crazy.
>
> Goretex is great stuff though - functionally windproof and breathable
> enough for activity in the cold. You just don't realize how much heat
> you're losing through wind until you stop it. I snowboard in an
> uninsulated goretex shell, long-sleeved T-shirt and 100 weight fleece
> down to -15C before I feel the need to add any more layers.

I used to run to and from work - about 10 kms each one-way trip. I work
downtown and live out in south Lakeview. When it got to the -40's even a
light wind could be deadly. I wore a lot of layers, but you had to worry
about your thighs and your dick freezing. Mebbe it was just me, but
because of the movement you couldn't get a lot of insulation on the front
of your legs without really affecting your stride.

There were lots of times I was glad it wasn't any further to run. Running
in the cold with a wind blowing was a bitch and running during a heavy
snowstorm was also exhausting.

Anyhow, Goretex is wonderful. But in my experience mother nature also has
something you can't dress for.

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 03:42 PM
In article >,
(gman99) wrote:

> > http://www.icomm.ca/hazards/meteorological/blizzard.html
> >
> > Note wind chill
> >
> > http://www.pnr-rpn.ec.gc.ca/air/wintersevere/blizzards_AB.en.html
> >
> > Note temperature in -30's in the great Alberta 64 and the 89 blizzard it
> > hit -34.
> >

> I'm talking straight air temperature....I'm on the coast, it rarely goes
> below -20. When I lived in Moncton it was around -30 for two weeks...clear
> blue skies the whole time.
>
> I understand that below -30 you'll get ice crystals but not snow and no
> real accumulation.

Like they say - 2-3 feet of snow, blowing hard, -34. On the prairies
ground temperature doesn't really dictate rain and snow.

John Hanson
November 30th 04, 03:50 PM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:42:03 -0600, John Hanson
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:31:31 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>Keith Hobman wrote:
>>
>>> But wind is the killer. When it gets to a certain temperature it is just
>>> cold. But the wind means there is really nothing you can wear that keeps
>>> out the cold.
>>
>>Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".
>>
>>And Keith's exaggerating. We don't ever see -45 C here. -42, yeah, but
>>not -45. At that temperature usually it's a huge low and there's no
>>wind, sky completely clear and blue. Quite beautiful. Sound travels
>>really well as the air is so dense. I love the -40 days.
>
>We hit -60 Fahrenheit at Tower, MN about 10 years ago. It usually
>only gets into the low -50s there though.
>>
>>Blizzard conditions are usually warmer, maybe -30 or at most -35. But
>>they feel way worse with the wind and the slightly increased humidity.
>>
>That seems a bit warm for a blizzard normally.

Doh. A bit cold. One of these days I'll pull my head out of my ass
before I post...don't hold your breath.

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 04:08 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:42:03 -0600, John Hanson
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:31:31 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> >>Let me introduce you to a little product called "Gore-Tex".
> >>
> >>And Keith's exaggerating. We don't ever see -45 C here. -42, yeah, but
> >>not -45. At that temperature usually it's a huge low and there's no
> >>wind, sky completely clear and blue. Quite beautiful. Sound travels
> >>really well as the air is so dense. I love the -40 days.
> >
> >We hit -60 Fahrenheit at Tower, MN about 10 years ago. It usually
> >only gets into the low -50s there though.
> >>
> >>Blizzard conditions are usually warmer, maybe -30 or at most -35. But
> >>they feel way worse with the wind and the slightly increased humidity.
> >>
> >That seems a bit warm for a blizzard normally.
>
> Doh. A bit cold. One of these days I'll pull my head out of my ass
> before I post...don't hold your breath.

Also Neil should note:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827

Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon

January -51

February -49

Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."

:^)

Neil Gendzwill
November 30th 04, 04:43 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> Also Neil should note:
>
> http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827
>
> Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon
>
> January -51
>
> February -49
>
> Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."

Those are Fahrenheit, but environment Canada actually claims -50C in
February of 1893. I don't recall under -42C it in the 40+ years I've
been here. I note that if you look at Environment Canada's records
(search for Saskatoon under Canadian Climate Normals, it's a really ugly
url), every single extreme cold record was recorded before 1920, and
most of them before 1900. Kinda makes you wonder about the accuracy of
the measurement, or possibly the growth of the city has affected the
minimum temperature.

One interesting tidbit - we average 7.5 days below -30 C in January.

Neil

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 05:00 PM
In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
> >
> > Also Neil should note:
> >
> > http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827
> >
> > Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon
> >
> > January -51
> >
> > February -49
> >
> > Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."
>
> Those are Fahrenheit, but environment Canada actually claims -50C in
> February of 1893. I don't recall under -42C it in the 40+ years I've
> been here.

Damn kids.

:^|

gman99
November 30th 04, 05:57 PM

> http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827
>
> Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon
>
> January -51
>
> February -49
>
> Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."
>
> :^)

Yikes....I think the record low here is above -30 (-28 or so)...we might
get a few days below -20 but not many...mind you it is a DAMP
cold...sometimes -5 feels worse than -20...

Keith Hobman
November 30th 04, 06:04 PM
In article >,
(gman99) wrote:

> > http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827
> >
> > Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon
> >
> > January -51
> >
> > February -49
> >
> > Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."
> >
> > :^)
>
> Yikes....I think the record low here is above -30 (-28 or so)...we might
> get a few days below -20 but not many...mind you it is a DAMP
> cold...sometimes -5 feels worse than -20...

-28!! Downright balmy!

:^)

gman99
November 30th 04, 07:02 PM
(Keith Hobman) wrote:
> In article >,
> (gman99) wrote:
>

> > > http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827
> > >
> > > Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon
> > >
> > > January -51
> > >
> > > February -49
> > >
> > > Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."
> > >
> > > :^)
> >
> > Yikes....I think the record low here is above -30 (-28 or so)...we
> > might get a few days below -20 but not many...mind you it is a DAMP
> > cold...sometimes -5 feels worse than -20...
>
> -28!! Downright balmy!
>
> :^)

Actually, when in Moncton and it was below -20 for a few weeks it was
better. No slush...no rain turning to freezing rain to snow back to rain
crap. We get a lot of that here along the coast...all four seasons in one
day !!

Peter Allen
November 30th 04, 09:37 PM
"gman99" > wrote in message
> (Keith Hobman) wrote:
> > In article >,
> > (gman99) wrote:
> > > Yikes....I think the record low here is above -30 (-28 or so)...we
> > > might get a few days below -20 but not many...mind you it is a DAMP
> > > cold...sometimes -5 feels worse than -20...
> >
> > -28!! Downright balmy!
> >
> > :^)
>
> Actually, when in Moncton and it was below -20 for a few weeks it was
> better. No slush...no rain turning to freezing rain to snow back to rain
> crap. We get a lot of that here along the coast...all four seasons in one
> day !!

Not that England is anything like Canada for weather, but...

I was cycling to training recently. Going out ~4pm, it was cold and raining.
And I was absolutely sodding freezing when I got there (and yes, produced
crap - under 90%). Coming back home, it was rather colder, and was now
snowing fairly heavily. And I was fairly warm when I got home. Snow is
definitely better than rain.

Peter

gman99
November 30th 04, 09:42 PM
"Peter Allen" > wrote:
> "gman99" > wrote in message
> > (Keith Hobman) wrote:
> > >
> > > -28!! Downright balmy!
> > >
> > > :^)
> >
> > Actually, when in Moncton and it was below -20 for a few weeks it was
> > better. No slush...no rain turning to freezing rain to snow back to
> > rain crap. We get a lot of that here along the coast...all four seasons
> > in one day !!
>
> Not that England is anything like Canada for weather, but...
>
> I was cycling to training recently. Going out ~4pm, it was cold and
> raining. And I was absolutely sodding freezing when I got there (and yes,
> produced crap - under 90%). Coming back home, it was rather colder, and
> was now snowing fairly heavily. And I was fairly warm when I got home.
> Snow is definitely better than rain.

I spent a winter in London not long ago...went below freezing once but it
RAINING for pretty much the entire month of January...DAMP and
COLD....brrrrrr

John Hanson
December 1st 04, 04:01 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:43:44 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Keith Hobman wrote:
>>
>> Also Neil should note:
>>
>> http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=066827
>>
>> Lowest recorded temperature for Saskatoon
>>
>> January -51
>>
>> February -49
>>
>> Hard to reconcile with "we don't ever see -45 C here."
>
>Those are Fahrenheit, but environment Canada actually claims -50C in
>February of 1893. I don't recall under -42C it in the 40+ years I've
>been here. I note that if you look at Environment Canada's records
>(search for Saskatoon under Canadian Climate Normals, it's a really ugly
>url), every single extreme cold record was recorded before 1920, and
>most of them before 1900. Kinda makes you wonder about the accuracy of
>the measurement, or possibly the growth of the city has affected the
>minimum temperature.
>
>One interesting tidbit - we average 7.5 days below -30 C in January.

Coldest Temperature (North America): -81.4 oF/-63 oC, Snag, Yukon,
Canada, February 3, 1947

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/almanac/arc2002/alm02feb.htm

Jim
December 1st 04, 04:36 AM
Another interesing tidbit..there was actually a day last summer when the
hottest spot in the US was in Alaska..documented fact..it lasted about 2
hours. It was like 85 there and Key West was like 83. Some weird weather
condition.

Jim

John Hanson
December 1st 04, 04:42 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:36:05 -0500, "Jim" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>Another interesing tidbit..there was actually a day last summer when the
>hottest spot in the US was in Alaska..documented fact..it lasted about 2
>hours. It was like 85 there and Key West was like 83. Some weird weather
>condition.

South Dakota does that all the time. In fact, the Twin Cities are
hotter than Cape Canaveral about 10-15 times a year. It from being in
the center of the continent.

Tifosi Bob
December 1st 04, 05:17 AM
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it.

You are a mindless ****...

John Hanson
December 1st 04, 05:52 AM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:43:05 GMT, Usenet Posting
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:09:39 -0600, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>>Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>>for that day.
>
>Please don't forget to post the painfully awkward pics guys!

Scotty is the amateur photographer. I suspect he'll take a few
thousand pictures before the trip is over. He's got the expensive
digital camera. He'll want to add to his online photo collection:

http://www.mulberry-creek.com/albums/

Watson Davis
December 1st 04, 06:28 AM
John Hanson > wrote in
:

> Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
> for that day.

By Monday, I'll be back home.

Begging for money.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Neil Gendzwill
December 1st 04, 03:08 PM
John Hanson wrote:

> South Dakota does that all the time. In fact, the Twin Cities are
> hotter than Cape Canaveral about 10-15 times a year. It from being in
> the center of the continent.

Yeah, they call it the "continental climate" and it applies through much
of the central prairie region in the US and Canada. Our temperature
range here is from +40 (104F) in summer to -40 or thereabouts (subject
to further fact-checking and pontificating) in winter. February is
particularily a freakish month, where the range is +10 (50F) to -40 (13
to -50 if you look at the absolute records).

In Calgary the limits aren't quite so extreme, but they get these
Chinook winds that are caused by the nearby Rocky mountains such that
they can get 30 degrees C (54 F) of climate change in a single day.

Neil

Lucas Buck
December 1st 04, 11:30 PM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:19:01 GMT, "Art S" > wrote:

>"Lucas Buck" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:09:39 -0600, John Hanson >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>> >for that day.
>>
>> Then it's already too late; you'll never get thru that COMDEX crowd.
>> <snort>
>>

>Hunh? Lucas made a mistake? Oh my God!
>
>(COMDEX 2004 has been "postponed" to November 2005:
>http://www.comdex.com/lasvegas/press_releases/?prid=477)
>
>Art

Hence the "snort" comment I made.

Besides, COMDEX was always in the first half of November, IIRC.

Lucas Buck
December 3rd 04, 08:18 AM

:

>> Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>> for that day.
>
>By Monday, I'll be back home.
>
>Begging for money.
>
>Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Maybe Audrey will hire you on as a "kept man".

You lucky bastid.

Watson Davis
December 6th 04, 06:19 AM
Lucas Buck > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

:

>>> Where is everyone staying Monday? I haven't booked a room yet in LV
>>> for that day.
>>
>>By Monday, I'll be back home.
>>
>>Begging for money.
>>
>>Watson (the pencil neck) Davis
>
> Maybe Audrey will hire you on as a "kept man".
>
> You lucky bastid.

Apparently, you've been talking with Lyle. He was asking for pointers on
how to apply for the "kept man" position.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis