PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Perricone

janet conti
November 28th 04, 06:44 PM
Hi. Does anyone have any thoughts on Dr. Nicholas Perricone, the guy
who has written some bestselling books on holistic health? He sells
skin care products, and I have had very good results from buying
cheaper versions of the ingredients at Beyond a Century.com and
blending them into a cream.

He's into weight lifting, and much of what he writes makes sense for
weighlifters (especially weightlifters like me with tendonitis),
though it seems like there's a good amount of hype behind his
argument. For example, he says you should stop drinking coffee and
drink green tea instead. Part of his rationale is that coffee raises
cortisol but, if I follow a thread I began a couple months ago, only
chronically raised cortisol is a problem. So I figure my morning cup
of coffee doesn't hurt. I have been going with various types of tea
later in the day. Or am I wrong?

It's his discussion of peptides and neuropeptides in his latest book
that leaves me the most confused. I don't know if he fails to explain
clearly or if I just haven't studied the book enough. Does anyone
know of specific affordable supplements or specfic foods that are
especially helpful in terms of peptides--especially those peptides
relevant to weightlifting, inflammation, fat loss, or skin care?

I appreciate any help you can provide to my very broad questions.

Janet Conti

Jim
November 28th 04, 08:46 PM
> I appreciate any help you can provide to my very broad questions.
>
> Janet Conti

I would appreciate any help regarding my tennis elbow!
I realize in the grand scheme of things I am glad to be alive but this damn
elbow of mine is a huge annoyance!
I want to know what a professional tennis player does when they get the
tennis elbow. Does that SaMe stuff work..how about that msm stuff?

Jim

Bob Mann
November 28th 04, 10:49 PM
On 28 Nov 2004 10:44:29 -0800, (janet conti)
wrote:

>Hi. Does anyone have any thoughts on Dr. Nicholas Perricone, the guy
>who has written some bestselling books on holistic health? He sells
>skin care products, and I have had very good results from buying
>cheaper versions of the ingredients at Beyond a Century.com and
>blending them into a cream.
>
>He's into weight lifting, and much of what he writes makes sense for
>weighlifters (especially weightlifters like me with tendonitis),
>though it seems like there's a good amount of hype behind his
>argument. For example, he says you should stop drinking coffee and
>drink green tea instead. Part of his rationale is that coffee raises
>cortisol but, if I follow a thread I began a couple months ago, only
>chronically raised cortisol is a problem. So I figure my morning cup
>of coffee doesn't hurt. I have been going with various types of tea
>later in the day. Or am I wrong?
>
>It's his discussion of peptides and neuropeptides in his latest book
>that leaves me the most confused. I don't know if he fails to explain
>clearly or if I just haven't studied the book enough. Does anyone
>know of specific affordable supplements or specfic foods that are
>especially helpful in terms of peptides--especially those peptides
>relevant to weightlifting, inflammation, fat loss, or skin care?
>
>I appreciate any help you can provide to my very broad questions.
>
>Janet Conti

I'd like to see some educated response to this as well.
I have had a history of chronic inflammation and my rcent physicl
showed a very high level of cholesterol. (8.5 on the Canadian scale
which is more than 50% elevated over normal)

I had also started drinking coffee from a press instead of drip
filtered since about the past year. In spite of being quite watchful
of my eating I have been unable to lose any weight during my lifting
layoff.
There are links between cortisol and weight gain, especially around
the gut which is where I have it.
inflammation and cortisol.
Cortisol and high cholesterol
unflitered coffee and high cholesterol
coffee and cortisol.

I'm putting two and two together but I might be coming up with 5.
--
Bob Mann
Help save trees. Wipe your ass with an owl.