PDA

View Full Version : advice on SLDL form

Rob Andrews
November 29th 04, 12:09 AM
I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.

I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing something.
Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore afterwards, not
my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the basics right. I keep
my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat), and my shoulders back.
I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this is as far as I can go at
the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as I lift it back up my butt
moves forward again.

When I learned to squat I found lines like "push your feet against the
floor", "imagine a gorilla's grabbing your ass and lifting it" really useful
in finding my groove - does anyone know of anything similar for this lift? I
guess like squatting, at some point I'll figure it out it'll "feel right"
and that's when I can add the weights on.

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

Jim
November 29th 04, 12:18 AM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
> I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
> happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
> trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
>
> I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing
> something. Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore
> afterwards, not my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the
> basics right. I keep my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat),
> and my shoulders back. I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this
> is as far as I can go at the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as
> I lift it back up my butt moves forward again.
>
> When I learned to squat I found lines like "push your feet against the
> floor", "imagine a gorilla's grabbing your ass and lifting it" really
> useful in finding my groove - does anyone know of anything similar for
> this lift? I guess like squatting, at some point I'll figure it out it'll
> "feel right" and that's when I can add the weights on.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rob.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

Tony
November 29th 04, 12:52 AM
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:09:22 -0000, "Rob Andrews"
> wrote:

>I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
>happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
>trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
>
>I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing something.
>Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore afterwards, not
>my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the basics right. I keep
>my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat), and my shoulders back.
>I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this is as far as I can go at
>the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as I lift it back up my butt
>moves forward again.
>
>When I learned to squat I found lines like "push your feet against the
>floor", "imagine a gorilla's grabbing your ass and lifting it" really useful
>in finding my groove - does anyone know of anything similar for this lift? I
>guess like squatting, at some point I'll figure it out it'll "feel right"
>and that's when I can add the weights on.

Be sure your bending at the hips & not your waist. Keep your waist
stiff.
You probably wont feel it in your hams 'till you add some weight to the
bar. Sometimes adding weight helps you get / stay in proper form.

Lyle McDonald
November 29th 04, 02:02 AM
Jim wrote:

> "Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
>
>>I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
>>happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
>>trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
>>
>>I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing
>>something. Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore
>>afterwards, not my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the
>>basics right. I keep my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat),
>>and my shoulders back. I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this
>>is as far as I can go at the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as
>>I lift it back up my butt moves forward again.
>>
>>When I learned to squat I found lines like "push your feet against the
>>floor", "imagine a gorilla's grabbing your ass and lifting it" really
>>useful in finding my groove - does anyone know of anything similar for
>>this lift? I guess like squatting, at some point I'll figure it out it'll
>>"feel right" and that's when I can add the weights on.
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Rob.
>

> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

Yeah, err, this form ****ing sucks.

Lyle

Jim
November 29th 04, 02:05 AM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:
>
>> "Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
>>>happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
>>>trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
>>>
>>>I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing
>>>something. Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore
>>>afterwards, not my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the
>>>basics right. I keep my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat),
>>>and my shoulders back. I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this
>>>is as far as I can go at the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as
>>>I lift it back up my butt moves forward again.
>>>
>>>When I learned to squat I found lines like "push your feet against the
>>>floor", "imagine a gorilla's grabbing your ass and lifting it" really
>>>useful in finding my groove - does anyone know of anything similar for
>>>this lift? I guess like squatting, at some point I'll figure it out it'll
>>>"feel right" and that's when I can add the weights on.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>Rob.
>>

>> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html
>
> Yeah, err, this form ****ing sucks.
>
> Lyle

Why? does he bend too far down? Would 45 pound plates be better?

Jim

Art S
November 29th 04, 02:10 AM
"Jim" > wrote in message ...

> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> > Jim wrote:

> >> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html
> >
> > Yeah, err, this form ****ing sucks.
> >
> > Lyle
>
> Why? does he bend too far down? Would 45 pound plates be better?

Look at his back (near the hips) when he bends down.

"Straight"?

Art

Lyle McDonald
November 29th 04, 02:14 AM
Jim wrote:

> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
>
>>Jim wrote:

>>>http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html
>>
>>Yeah, err, this form ****ing sucks.
>>
>>Lyle
>

> Why? does he bend too far down? Would 45 pound plates be better?

He's rounding his back horribly and lowering the bar way lower than he
needs to. in a flat backed SLDL (which I think is generally safer),
I've rarely seen anyone who could take the bar much beow knee level.

Lyle

Jeff Finlayson
November 29th 04, 02:20 AM
Rob Andrews wrote:

> I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
> happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
> trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
>
> I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing something.
> Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore afterwards, not
> my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the basics right. I keep
> my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat), and my shoulders back.
> I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this is as far as I can go at
> the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as I lift it back up my butt
> moves forward again.

Exercise demo here:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

Read old posts on SLDLs here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=stiff%20leg%20deadlift&&as_ugroup=misc.fitness.weights
(link may wrap)

Steve Freides
November 29th 04, 02:35 AM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> Jim wrote:

>>>Yeah, err, this form ****ing sucks.
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>

>> Why? does he bend too far down? Would 45 pound plates be better?
>>

> He's rounding his back horribly and lowering the bar way lower than he
> needs to. in a flat backed SLDL (which I think is generally safer),
> I've rarely seen anyone who could take the bar much beow knee level.

This:

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/DangerousExercises.html#anchor416052

is an explanation or rationalization, depending on your point of view,
of why he bends his back the way he does.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with plain old deadlifts for the
hamstrings and glutes, anyway. Mine sure as hell get a workout from
them.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Ellis
November 29th 04, 02:43 AM
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:35:04 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>I don't know what the hell is wrong with plain old deadlifts for the
>hamstrings and glutes, anyway. Mine sure as hell get a workout from
>them.

If not plain old deadlifts, what about sumo deadlifts? I've stopped
doing SLDL in favour of sumo for hamstrings and glutes. It certainly
*feels* like it's doing the job. Am I wrong?

Ellis

Rob Andrews
November 30th 04, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the tips. I guess it may just be about weight. If my lower back
is weaker than my hamstrings, it would make sense that I'm not feeling much
in the hams, but feeling it in the back. I 'm just going to keep lifting
with the bar until keeping the waist fixed becomes second-nature, and then
pump up the weights. SLDL is not an easy lift!

I'm really encouraged by my MFW-insipred squat progress. Starting out I was
totally scared of squats, but I stuck to just light weights for a while and
started to "get" the movement. I'm now finding I can increase the weights
and it feels right.

Thanks again,

Rob.

Kromagnon
November 30th 04, 04:06 PM
Jim wrote:
> "Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Rob.

I do a stiff-legged deadlift (knees bent slightly) and I go
low and I round my back as with a straight legged deadlift.
The form used in this exercise is fine.
http://tinyurl.com/4j8j4

Here's the one that is closer to what he was describing:
http://tinyurl.com/5jj2f

bc
November 30th 04, 07:57 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message >...
> "Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> > Jim wrote:

> >> Why? does he bend too far down? Would 45 pound plates be better?
> >>

> > He's rounding his back horribly and lowering the bar way lower than he
> > needs to. in a flat backed SLDL (which I think is generally safer),
> > I've rarely seen anyone who could take the bar much beow knee level.
>
> This:
>
> http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/DangerousExercises.html#anchor416052
>
> is an explanation or rationalization, depending on your point of view,
> of why he bends his back the way he does.
>
> I don't know what the hell is wrong with plain old deadlifts for the
> hamstrings and glutes, anyway. Mine sure as hell get a workout from
> them.

Mine too.

- bc

bc
November 30th 04, 07:59 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message >...

> I'm really encouraged by my MFW-insipred squat progress. Starting out I was
> totally scared of squats, but I stuck to just light weights for a while and
> started to "get" the movement. I'm now finding I can increase the weights
> and it feels right.

That's what happened to me too. Keep up your attention to depth and
form, because the ego can get in the way pretty fast as you start to
get confident in the squat.

- bc

Martin L. Graham
December 1st 04, 01:57 AM
Deadlifts destroy backs.

Try to keep up.

Jeff Finlayson > wrote in message >...
> Rob Andrews wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
> > happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
> > trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
> >
> > I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing something.
> > Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore afterwards, not
> > my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the basics right. I keep
> > my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat), and my shoulders back.
> > I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this is as far as I can go at
> > the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as I lift it back up my butt
> > moves forward again.
>

> Exercise demo here:
> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html
>
> Read old posts on SLDLs here:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=stiff%20leg%20deadlift&&as_ugroup=misc.fitness.weights
> (link may wrap)

Jeff Finlayson
December 1st 04, 02:21 AM
Martin Loser Graham top-posted:
> Jeff Finlayson wrote:
>>Rob Andrews wrote:

>>>I've been trying to add Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my routine, as I'm not
>>>happy with leg-curls for my hamstrings and glutes. But I'm having real
>>>trouble getting the form right. So far I've been using just the bar.
>>>
>>>I've read the advice in the usual places, but am somehow missing something.
>>>Even with just the bar, it's my lower back that feels sore afterwards, not
>>>my hams and glutes. As far as I can tell I'm doing the basics right. I keep
>>>my back straight, (kind of like it is when I squat), and my shoulders back.
>>>I lower the bar down to just below my knees, this is as far as I can go at
>>>the moment. My butt moves out as I lower, and as I lift it back up my butt
>>>moves forward again.
>>
>>Exercise demo here:
>>http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html
>>
>>Read old posts on SLDLs here:
>>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=stiff%20leg%20deadlift&&as_ugroup=misc.fitness.weights
>>(link may wrap)

> Deadlifts destroy backs.

So does sleeping on a bad bed..

DRS
December 1st 04, 12:37 PM
"Jeff Finlayson" > wrote in message

> Martin Loser Graham top-posted:

[...]

>> Deadlifts destroy backs.
>
> So does sleeping on a bad bed..

Which logically means you should do neither.

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Axel of the North!
December 4th 04, 05:16 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:07:13 -0000, "Rob Andrews"
> wrote:

>Thanks for the tips. I guess it may just be about weight. If my lower back
>is weaker than my hamstrings, it would make sense that I'm not feeling much
>in the hams, but feeling it in the back. I 'm just going to keep lifting
>with the bar until keeping the waist fixed becomes second-nature, and then
>pump up the weights. SLDL is not an easy lift!
>
>I'm really encouraged by my MFW-insipred squat progress. Starting out I was
>totally scared of squats, but I stuck to just light weights for a while and
>started to "get" the movement. I'm now finding I can increase the weights
>and it feels right.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Rob.

yeah. this is a good thread.

that's what i like about MFW... you can lurk (or even post) for years
and still enjoy a good, long squat/deadlift thread.

i've found that experimenting with SLDL... it can be very subtle. i
feel that doing SLDL can be very therapeutic. it seems so simple, but
the body is not; there is much to be learned in this movement. i've
had back problems from time to time, not weight-training inspired..
really scary things like getting out of bed to explosively while
"cold", or flipping over wrong, really terrifyingly mundane things
like that. then i think: oh crap! but i've successfully unkinked and
healed myself with the miraculous powers of the almighty SLDL. it's
like i can pull m'skelly back into place or something.

have a great weekend! you know i won't!

(i'm not married nor do i play any sports with chums, and i don't like
drinking and i ran out of marijuana)

:^(