PDA

View Full Version : Chin Bars (Door way types)

Geezer From The Freezer
November 29th 04, 02:35 PM
Just curious how these Chin Bars, that use the door frames, work...most modern
houses
have lighter construction methods, and I'm worrying if I buy one the door frames
will
rip off of the walls. Anyone got any opinions or advice on these?

Steve Freides
November 29th 04, 03:46 PM
"Geezer From The Freezer" > wrote in message
> Just curious how these Chin Bars, that use the door frames,
> work...most modern
> houses
> have lighter construction methods, and I'm worrying if I buy one the
> door frames
> will
> rip off of the walls. Anyone got any opinions or advice on these?

I've used a "Door Gym" and it works just fine. The physics of the thing
work so that the load is largely pushing into the wall right above the
door frame, not pulling down on it. It's really pretty clever, IMHO.
My only caution would be to make sure you put it together square - if
it's a little off, it will still work but it doesn't transfer the load
as soon because you have to start pulling on it before it makes full
contact with the wall above the doorway.

This is the one I've got:

http://www.bodytrends.com/products/gym/doorgym.htm

They're about $40 but sometimes they're on ebay for $30 - that's how I
got mine, a "Dutch auction" in which they put a bunch of them up for
sale at the same time.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com