PDA

View Full Version : What are your goals?

TheTortoise
November 29th 04, 06:06 PM
Well, okay, so this isn't about politics or guns or humongous rolls
of toilet paper. So maybe some of you regular posters have reached the
zenith of your fitness careers and are just maintaining. I (former
poster-child for skinny-fat, current poster-child for fat-fat), and
probably many other lurkers and occasional posters, have long-term
goals that I can not hope to achieve quickly. Since I so enjoy talking
about what those goals are and how I expect to achieve them and since
no one I know can stand to listen to me prattle on about them, I
thought I'd relieve myself on MFW (lifting leg) and invite others to
do the same. My goals:

1. Make it to 230 lb. and 10% bodyfat. I'm 6'7", currently 220
lb. and 22% bodyfat (according to my Tanita anyway). 4 months ago, I
was 204 lb. and 20% bodyfat. I hope to reach this goal in about 2-1/2
to 3 years.

2. Slam dunk a basketball again. I'm 40 and haven't been able to
do this since I was 25. I need to add about 6 inches to my leap in
order to get my whole hand over the rim. I hope to reach this goal in
about 1 to 2 years.

3. Get laid as much as possible (actually, maybe I shoulda put this one
on top). I hope to achieve this goal continuously for the rest of my
life, beginning TODAY.

Lurker
November 29th 04, 06:26 PM
Short term goal:

Lose 8.5lbs of fat in the next 8 weeks.
Repeat.

Long term goal:

Be 245lbs scale weight with 15% bf by december 2005
Retrain my eating/exercising habits.
Take my son swimming next summer without being ashamed to have my shirt
off in public.

Much longer term goal:

Be 245lbs scale weight with 10% bf by december 2006.
Be able to keep up with my son as he grows up and provdie a good example
of how to take care of yourself past the magical metabolism days of
teenagerism.

I am also sure that when my body composition goals are close to being
realized that I will set some lift specific goals in order to *have
goals* and *keep myself motivated*.

I would also like to slam a basketball again. Haven't done it since I
was seventeen, before major knee surgery. But at 6'3" this would just be
icing on the rest of the cake.

<Homer voice>
Mmmmmmmmmmm, cake...sprinkles?
</Homer voice>

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

John Hanson
November 30th 04, 04:12 AM
On 29 Nov 2004 10:06:02 -0800, "TheTortoise" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Well, okay, so this isn't about politics or guns or humongous rolls
>of toilet paper. So maybe some of you regular posters have reached the
>zenith of your fitness careers and are just maintaining. I (former
>poster-child for skinny-fat, current poster-child for fat-fat), and
>probably many other lurkers and occasional posters, have long-term
>goals that I can not hope to achieve quickly. Since I so enjoy talking
>about what those goals are and how I expect to achieve them and since
>no one I know can stand to listen to me prattle on about them, I
>thought I'd relieve myself on MFW (lifting leg) and invite others to
>do the same. My goals:

To break the Minnesota squat record for men 40-49 in the 220 class
that has stood for 14 years. It's currently 622.something.

Total 1500 next year.

Deadlift 550 next year.

Stay in the 220 class.

DHW
December 2nd 04, 04:46 PM
wrote:

>Well, okay, so this isn't about politics or guns or humongous rolls
>of toilet paper. So maybe some of you regular posters have reached the
>zenith of your fitness careers and are just maintaining. I (former
>poster-child for skinny-fat, current poster-child for fat-fat), and
>probably many other lurkers and occasional posters, have long-term
>goals that I can not hope to achieve quickly. Since I so enjoy talking
>about what those goals are and how I expect to achieve them and since
>no one I know can stand to listen to me prattle on about them, I
>thought I'd relieve myself on MFW (lifting leg) and invite others to
>do the same. My goals:
>
>1. Make it to 230 lb. and 10% bodyfat. I'm 6'7", currently 220
>lb. and 22% bodyfat (according to my Tanita anyway). 4 months ago, I
>was 204 lb. and 20% bodyfat. I hope to reach this goal in about 2-1/2
>to 3 years.
>
>2. Slam dunk a basketball again. I'm 40 and haven't been able to
>do this since I was 25. I need to add about 6 inches to my leap in
>order to get my whole hand over the rim. I hope to reach this goal in
>about 1 to 2 years.
>
>3. Get laid as much as possible (actually, maybe I shoulda put this one
>on top). I hope to achieve this goal continuously for the rest of my
>life, beginning TODAY.

I'm shooting for 230 as well.

I'm currently 270 at just a bit over 6'4". My Tanita has me at 26% to
27% body fat. I wish I would have gotten the Tanita 50 pounds ago --
I'd like to see how it works over time.

I haven't been able to dunk a basketball since I was about 24 -- 20
years ago. I've had my knees worked on since then and doubt I'll ever
do it again. And I wouldn't call what I did 'slam dunking'; it was a
dunk but there wasn't a lot of authority behind it.

D. Wells

Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

aj
December 2nd 04, 06:33 PM
On 2004-12-02, DHW > wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2004 10:06:02 -0800, "TheTortoise" >
> wrote:
>
>>Well, okay, so this isn't about politics or guns or humongous rolls
>>of toilet paper. So maybe some of you regular posters have reached the
>>zenith of your fitness careers and are just maintaining. I (former
>>poster-child for skinny-fat, current poster-child for fat-fat), and
>>probably many other lurkers and occasional posters, have long-term
>>goals that I can not hope to achieve quickly. Since I so enjoy talking
>>about what those goals are and how I expect to achieve them and since
>>no one I know can stand to listen to me prattle on about them, I
>>thought I'd relieve myself on MFW (lifting leg) and invite others to
>>do the same. My goals:
>>
>>1. Make it to 230 lb. and 10% bodyfat. I'm 6'7", currently 220
>>lb. and 22% bodyfat (according to my Tanita anyway). 4 months ago, I
>>was 204 lb. and 20% bodyfat. I hope to reach this goal in about 2-1/2
>>to 3 years.
>>
>>2. Slam dunk a basketball again. I'm 40 and haven't been able to
>>do this since I was 25. I need to add about 6 inches to my leap in
>>order to get my whole hand over the rim. I hope to reach this goal in
>>about 1 to 2 years.
>>
>>3. Get laid as much as possible (actually, maybe I shoulda put this one
>>on top). I hope to achieve this goal continuously for the rest of my
>>life, beginning TODAY.
>
> I'm shooting for 230 as well.
>
> I'm currently 270 at just a bit over 6'4". My Tanita has me at 26% to
> 27% body fat. I wish I would have gotten the Tanita 50 pounds ago --
> I'd like to see how it works over time.
>
> I haven't been able to dunk a basketball since I was about 24 -- 20
> years ago. I've had my knees worked on since then and doubt I'll ever
> do it again. And I wouldn't call what I did 'slam dunking'; it was a
> dunk but there wasn't a lot of authority behind it.
>

> D. Wells
>

> Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
> (without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

The mastah plan:

Reps Squat Bench Deadlift
10 275 245 380
5 315 275 435

Above goals are 95% complete.

The Squat is ATG and is giving me trouble.
Bench plods along like clockwork.
DL just explodes upward every cycle. It is scary to behold.

Should all be in the bag by the end of this month, except the squat
which will take another month or two in 2005. :[

Then I switch to strength training and put up:

Reps Squat Bench Deadlift
1 365 315 515

Should be possible in the first half of 2005.

Then I switch to bodybuffing and find out what a JP-7 7% looks like.
I've only been down to a JP-7 9% before.

Should be possible by Labor Day 2005.
--
-aj

Larisa
December 3rd 04, 12:07 AM
I'm just a beginner. I first came to the gym by pure chance (I won a
free 2-week membership), discovered just how out-of-shape I was and
how pleasant the gym was, and decided to keep going. So my goals are
simple:

1. To be able to do a cardiovascular "stress test" without blacking
out. Yes, I'm that out of shape. The trainer made me do a treadmill
test - walking fast for 5 minutes. I barely managed to finish it, and
had to sit down afterwards, as things started to get kinda gray. (she
treated me like a cardiac invalid for the rest of the session, and I
can hardly blame her)

2. To get stronger, and to strengthen my joints a bit. My knees are
starting to get crunchy, and I'm only 28. To get to the point where I
can easily lift a heavy object without too much exertion.

2.5 (as an adjunct to 2) To gradually strengthen to the point where I
can return to judo classes. When I was in shape, I used to take judo,
and I loved it. Not that I ever was all that good, but it was fun.

3. To reduce my bodyfat percentage to at most 20%. I'm 26% at
present. I'm not overweight as such (125 lbs. and 5'5" is not really
overweight), but definitely flabby. I don't want to buy new clothes
to accommodate the flab - I'd rather lose the flab.

LM

Axel of the North!
December 5th 04, 05:22 AM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 03:58:23 GMT, Usenet Posting
> wrote:

>On 29 Nov 2004 10:06:02 -0800, "TheTortoise" >
>wrote:
>
>>Well, okay, so this isn't about politics or guns or humongous rolls
>>of toilet paper. So maybe some of you regular posters have reached the
>>zenith of your fitness careers and are just maintaining. I (former
>>poster-child for skinny-fat, current poster-child for fat-fat), and
>>probably many other lurkers and occasional posters, have long-term
>>goals that I can not hope to achieve quickly. Since I so enjoy talking
>>about what those goals are and how I expect to achieve them and since
>>no one I know can stand to listen to me prattle on about them, I
>>thought I'd relieve myself on MFW (lifting leg) and invite others to
>>do the same. My goals:
>>
>>1. Make it to 230 lb. and 10% bodyfat. I'm 6'7", currently 220
>>lb. and 22% bodyfat (according to my Tanita anyway). 4 months ago, I
>>was 204 lb. and 20% bodyfat. I hope to reach this goal in about 2-1/2
>>to 3 years.
>>
>>2. Slam dunk a basketball again. I'm 40 and haven't been able to
>>do this since I was 25. I need to add about 6 inches to my leap in
>>order to get my whole hand over the rim. I hope to reach this goal in
>>about 1 to 2 years.
>>
>>3. Get laid as much as possible (actually, maybe I shoulda put this one
>>on top). I hope to achieve this goal continuously for the rest of my
>>life, beginning TODAY.
>
>1) to make a poop that is the size of a coke bottle and not hurt
>myself.

hmm. hard to beat that. i've noticed that i can have fairly large
****s and not feel much strain or pain. bean 'n rice, babes!

now if only i could give birth out of my ass...

TheTortoise
December 6th 04, 10:54 PM
Axel of the North! wrote:
> >1) to make a poop that is the size of a coke bottle and not hurt
> >myself.
> >

> hmm. hard to beat that. i've noticed that i can have fairly large
> ****s and not feel much strain or pain. bean 'n rice, babes!
>
> now if only i could give birth out of my ass...

Perhaps your ability to painlessly produce prodigious poops is related
more to a loss of elasticity than diet. Excessive and repeated
stretching tends to have that effect.