PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pushups and shoulder pain

ff123
November 30th 04, 12:29 AM
On 29 Nov 2004 21:59:59 GMT, Ignoramus21762
> wrote:

>I am training to do pushups and peaked at 52 pushups. Unfortunately, I
>developed shoulder pain in the right shoulder that was injured 1.5
>years ago by a powered posthole digger. I had to somewhat cut back on
>pushups. Any ideas on what I can do to alleviate this problem?

Short term:
1. Stop the pushups and anything else which aggravates your shoulder.
This includes exercises with delayed effects which happen 1 or 2 days
later. Accept that it will take a long time to recover.

Long term:
1. Balance your pushing exercises with pulling (rowing) exercises.
Ask yourself why you want to max out your pushups. How about trying
to max out your rows!

2. Work on shoulder flexibility, especially of the muscles that pull
your shoulders forward. These are the ones which will have a tendency
to get tight with all the pushing exercises you're doing. For me,
developing flexibility is a separate session from either strength
training or cardio. And I leave 1 to 3 recovery days in between
sessions. The gains happen slowly.

3. Do extra exercises to strengthen the muscles involved in external
rotation. I like to do a PNF movement on the hi-lo cable machine
which starts in a full squat position with arms crossed and ends up in
a standing position with arms uncrossed and fully extended above my
head.

Also, since my flexibility sessions are of the contract/relax (PNF)
variety, I work to develop isometric strength in the fully stretched
positions.

Good luck.

ff123

Steve Freides
November 30th 04, 03:12 AM
"Ignoramus21762" > wrote in message

> I am training to do pushups and peaked at 52 pushups. Unfortunately, I
> developed shoulder pain in the right shoulder that was injured 1.5
> years ago by a powered posthole digger. I had to somewhat cut back on
> pushups. Any ideas on what I can do to alleviate this problem?

High-rep bodyweight stuff can get to anyone - I'd go for a strength
focus for at least a cycle, maybe a few months. Try raising your feet
some or even handstand pushups if you think you're strong enough for
them now. Or wear a weighted vest - or bench press or floor press. The
floor press for a 1RM would make a nice change of pace.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com