PDA

View Full Version : side effects of squats

Rob Andrews
November 30th 04, 05:29 PM
I've recently discovered the joy of squats - and some uinintended side
effects. For the first time since my teens, I'm suffering from a horrible
and sustained acne outbreak, and am also suffering from BO. The change
really is remarkable - I'm normally *extremely* odor-free, and don't even
need to use deo everyday, now I find myself stinking by the evening, even on
rest days (yes, I shower at least once every day!). Given that nothing else
in my life has changed, I'm guessing is it's the testosterone said to be
released by squatting.

So my girlfriend is now asking me if slightly bigger legs are really worth
all these spots, and the money spent on super-power deo ! ;-)

Rob.

larry
November 30th 04, 06:32 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
> I've recently discovered the joy of squats - and some uinintended side
> effects. For the first time since my teens, I'm suffering from a horrible
> and sustained acne outbreak, and am also suffering from BO. The change
> really is remarkable - I'm normally *extremely* odor-free, and don't even
> need to use deo everyday, now I find myself stinking by the evening, even
> on rest days (yes, I shower at least once every day!). Given that nothing
> else in my life has changed, I'm guessing is it's the testosterone said to
> be released by squatting.

I noticed the same acne problem when I first started squatting. I wasn't
taking any medications or any other changes in my lifestyle. My back broke
out and I occasionally got a zit on my face neither of which I had problems
with in years...

Rob Andrews
November 30th 04, 07:41 PM
Paul,

I'm well aware of the difficulty in inferring causality from data, but am
basing my tentative conclusion on the fact that really nothing else has
changed in my life. No medication, no major diet change, nothing! I've gone
through all kinds of phases since my teens, all kinds of eating and
lifestyle changes, but never had these "symptoms". Obviously I can't be
certain it's the squats, but what else?!

Rob.

Per Elmsäter
November 30th 04, 08:26 PM
Rob Andrews wrote:
> I've recently discovered the joy of squats - and some uinintended side
> effects. For the first time since my teens, I'm suffering from a
> horrible and sustained acne outbreak, and am also suffering from BO.
> The change really is remarkable - I'm normally *extremely* odor-free,
> and don't even need to use deo everyday, now I find myself stinking
> by the evening, even on rest days (yes, I shower at least once every
> day!). Given that nothing else in my life has changed, I'm guessing
> is it's the testosterone said to be released by squatting.
>
> So my girlfriend is now asking me if slightly bigger legs are really
> worth all these spots, and the money spent on super-power deo ! ;-)
>
> Rob.

Interesting. Just tonight when I came home from the gym my daughter gave me
a hug and said., Wheew you stink of sweat. I'd taken a shower thirty minutes
ago and put on fresh clothes so I couldn't figure it out. Actually it was my
second shower of the day since I'd had a workout on the bike earlier in the
morning. My wife looked up and said that my body odor had become several
times stronger than ever before these last weeks that I started working out.
I do squats twice a week, but find it hard to believe that it's just them.
No I haven't seen any acne yet ;)
--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Rob Andrews
November 30th 04, 08:55 PM
Per,

We're on to something! No acne yet? I'm touching 30, and haven't had acne
for years, you're older aren't you? Maybe you'll be spared the spots! The
body odor thing is plain weird. I'm totally not used to it, and am generally
a cleanliness freak, now I hate my own smell! ;-)

Rob.

Paul Cassel
November 30th 04, 09:21 PM
Rob Andrews wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I'm well aware of the difficulty in inferring causality from data,

No, that's easy and it's what you've done.

Denis
November 30th 04, 10:47 PM
"larry" > wrote in message >...
> "Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
> > I've recently discovered the joy of squats - and some uinintended side
> > effects. For the first time since my teens, I'm suffering from a horrible
> > and sustained acne outbreak, and am also suffering from BO. The change
> > really is remarkable - I'm normally *extremely* odor-free, and don't even
> > need to use deo everyday, now I find myself stinking by the evening, even
> > on rest days (yes, I shower at least once every day!). Given that nothing
> > else in my life has changed, I'm guessing is it's the testosterone said to
> > be released by squatting.
> >
> I noticed the same acne problem when I first started squatting. I wasn't
> taking any medications or any other changes in my lifestyle. My back broke
> out and I occasionally got a zit on my face neither of which I had problems
> with in years...

I'm thinking it is not because of squatting per se, but because of
doing sports and sweating. Say you sweat and then you rub off your
sweat with the back side of your palm - well, you just may created a
zit. Or say your T-shirt is wet and you sat down to make your regular
inner thigh busters - you just made a zit on your back where it
touches the machine back support. If I don't do sports or even if I do
some like working out (where I do not sweat a lot), I do not have any
of this stuff, but when I do running and especially biking (where the
sweat drips from underneath the helmet), I tend to have it often.

Well at least this would be a possible explanation. But maybe
testerone levels have something to do with it, too, or they even may
be the main reason?

To the original poster, who now smells during the day, did you do any
sports when you were not stinking in the evening?

Denis

Per Elmsäter
November 30th 04, 11:00 PM
Rob Andrews wrote:
> Per,
>
> We're on to something! No acne yet? I'm touching 30, and haven't had
> acne for years, you're older aren't you? Maybe you'll be spared the
> spots! The body odor thing is plain weird. I'm totally not used to
> it, and am generally a cleanliness freak, now I hate my own smell! ;-)
>
> Rob.

Absolutely. If it would only have been the other way around we might have
been able to make a buck or two out of it.
Yes I'm 54 and half mummified so I'm not so surprised that acne doesn't
strike me with it's youthful charm ;)

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Rob Andrews
November 30th 04, 11:51 PM
> To the original poster, who now smells during the day, did you do any
> sports when you were not stinking in the evening?

Big time. I was actually more into regular sports before I started lifting,
and I used to sweat a ton, but no real stink. Even after a 10k run!

Rob.

DeWayne
December 1st 04, 07:15 AM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
> Rob Andrews wrote:

> Interesting. Just tonight when I came home from the gym my daughter gave
> me
> a hug and said., Wheew you stink of sweat. I'd taken a shower thirty
> minutes
> ago and put on fresh clothes so I couldn't figure it out. Actually it was
> my
> second shower of the day since I'd had a workout on the bike earlier in
> the
> morning. My wife looked up and said that my body odor had become several
> times stronger than ever before these last weeks that I started working
> out.
> I do squats twice a week, but find it hard to believe that it's just them.
> No I haven't seen any acne yet ;)

As far as the stinking problem, one thing to try is at the end of your
shower run cold water in your arm pits to close your pores.

DeWayne

> --
> Perre

Big Bill
December 1st 04, 07:55 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:26:55 +0100, "Per Elmsäter"
> wrote:

>Rob Andrews wrote:
>> I've recently discovered the joy of squats - and some uinintended side
>> effects. For the first time since my teens, I'm suffering from a
>> horrible and sustained acne outbreak, and am also suffering from BO.
>> The change really is remarkable - I'm normally *extremely* odor-free,
>> and don't even need to use deo everyday, now I find myself stinking
>> by the evening, even on rest days (yes, I shower at least once every
>> day!). Given that nothing else in my life has changed, I'm guessing
>> is it's the testosterone said to be released by squatting.
>>
>> So my girlfriend is now asking me if slightly bigger legs are really
>> worth all these spots, and the money spent on super-power deo ! ;-)
>>
>> Rob.
>
>Interesting. Just tonight when I came home from the gym my daughter gave me
>a hug and said., Wheew you stink of sweat. I'd taken a shower thirty minutes
>ago and put on fresh clothes so I couldn't figure it out. Actually it was my
>second shower of the day since I'd had a workout on the bike earlier in the
>morning. My wife looked up and said that my body odor had become several
>times stronger than ever before these last weeks that I started working out.
>I do squats twice a week, but find it hard to believe that it's just them.
>No I haven't seen any acne yet ;)

If you're washing away body oils then you're creating an environment
in which smelly bacteria can flourish. Or something.

BB
--
www.kruse.co.uk
home of SEO that's shiny!

Peter Allen
December 1st 04, 04:44 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
> > To the original poster, who now smells during the day, did you do any
> > sports when you were not stinking in the evening?
> >

> Big time. I was actually more into regular sports before I started
lifting,
> and I used to sweat a ton, but no real stink. Even after a 10k run!

Wash your gym bag out, put your workout kit in a poly bag not straight in
the gym bag, wash the kit as soon as you get home. As soon as you start
getting sweat left in places it stinks like hell, contaminates everything
and takes twice as much washing (of you, your kit, your bag, whatever) to
get the smell out.

Peter

Axel of the North!
December 4th 04, 05:53 AM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:29:12 -0000, "Rob Andrews"
> wrote:

>I've recently discovered the joy of squats - and some uinintended side
>effects. For the first time since my teens, I'm suffering from a horrible
>and sustained acne outbreak, and am also suffering from BO. The change
>really is remarkable - I'm normally *extremely* odor-free, and don't even
>need to use deo everyday, now I find myself stinking by the evening, even on
>rest days (yes, I shower at least once every day!). Given that nothing else
>in my life has changed, I'm guessing is it's the testosterone said to be
>released by squatting.
>
>So my girlfriend is now asking me if slightly bigger legs are really worth
>all these spots, and the money spent on super-power deo ! ;-)
>
>Rob.

hmmm. i'm late mid 20s. i have found that i, too, can get some
pimplage. on my face and forehead... back... buttocks. large,
noticeable pimples. and they can and frequently do coincide with heavy
squats, or, if i'm reconditioning from a lazy spell, from less intense
squat sessions. i think it is the hormonal response (or something) to
that kind of stress.

y'know, the science people can talk all they want.. hey, supposedly
there can be quite an individual variation in response to physical
stressors.. so.. maybe they still haven't figured it all out? or maybe
the evil medical establishment has conspired to lie about the almighty
rejuvenative powers of squat. maybe they plain don't know the
particulars of individual reaction to squat? maybe they don't know
squat about squat? i feel like my testosterone is really elevated
compared to a regular morning, the morning after the good full body
work. i haven't trained on any squat-related machines in a long time,
and i recall having good surges from it, so maybe it is a
lotsa-big-muscles-are-stressed kind of thing...

there is more going on in the spine and skelly in general, squats and
other full-body free-weight lifts really take the cake on that aspect
of weight-training.

i don't think that acne itself is a desirable goal (like DOMS), but
that it may be a more obvious sign that you could be doing something
very VERY right! physiologically speaking.