PDA

View Full Version : My first gym experience

HIT Fanatic
November 30th 04, 06:06 PM
The other day I decided to see what all the fuss was about and went to a
gym. Now for the past 2 years I've been working out at home because I
prefer the convenience of simply going to the basement and getting it
over with in a few minutes. Plus, I can listen to whatever music that I
want and I can grunt as loud as I can on deadlift night without feeling
guilty about it.

I usually go to a sports rec center every 2 weeks to go swimming. They
have a weight room so I decided to go do a quick workout to see what all
the fuss is about.

I first decided to do a set of bench presses. After stacking the
barbell I proceed to do my set and did it to failure. After my set,
some doofus came over and said that I shouldn't lower the barbell all
the way to my chest as it's bad for my joints. He said I should just
lower the bar with my biceps parallel to the floor. WTF?

After that, I proceeded to go to a power cage and do a set of
deadlifts. As I'm preparing the barbell, this doofus asks me why I only
did one set. I politely replied that I was able to increase my BP
poundages by 80 pounds by just doing a single set to failure every
time. He gave me a confused look muttering something about fast twitch
vs slow twitch muscles.

As I did my deadlifts, most people in the gym were staring at me like I
was some type of weirdo. I think they were intimidated by my grunts and
the fact that the barbell made a big thud every time I completed a rep.
After 7 reps I couldn't do anymore and I fell to the floor gasping for
dear life. The doofus came back and said: "You shouldn't strain
yourself or you'll get hurt...".

In my 2+ years of lifting like this at home I never even came close to
injuring myself. It's funny how I hear of friends or acquaintances
saying how they had to take a break from working out because of some
injury they sustained during their marathon-like weightlifting
sessions. I try to tell them it's better to do quick, intense workouts
but they remain skeptical in spite of the progress that I'm making right
before their eyes.

During my workout, I did not see one person in the gym who trained with
the same intensity that I did. Most people were using low poundages and
doing multiple sets.

After I had my swim, I checked the gym again 90 minutes later. I swear
I could see 2 guys that I had seen earlier doing some foo-foo exercises
with ridiculously low poundages. They looked like concentration camp
survivors, except that they were wearing headbands and other stupid
pastel-colored accessories.

As for me, I'll stick with my workouts in my basement gym. The public
gym just reinforces the misconceptions that most people have about
bodybuilding.

Tifosi Bob
November 30th 04, 06:54 PM
"HIT Fanatic" > wrote in message

> As for me, I'll stick with my workouts in my basement gym. The public
> gym just reinforces the misconceptions that most people have about
> bodybuilding.

It sounds like you went to a "health club" as opposed to a gym. Lot's of
cardio, step classes, those damn swiss balls, Spinning classes ( you should
try this class for a variation on cardio, everyone I see at the end of one
these is totally wiped ), milf's in black spandex, etc.

You could always try a walkman, most peons in the health club will not bug a
big guy with a walkman with Motorhead audibly blaring from your headset
training heavy, especially when you let out those loud grunts!

btw bodybuilding is 90% diet, weight lifting is 90% mental.

Bob Falooley
November 30th 04, 07:02 PM
HIT Fanatic wrote:

> Plus, I can listen to whatever music that I
> want and I can grunt as loud as I can on deadlift night without feeling
> guilty about it.

I only feel guilty when I rip some noxious ass in a squat or DL, grunting is
second nature.

> In my 2+ years of lifting like this at home I never even came close to
> injuring myself. It's funny how I hear of friends or acquaintances
> saying how they had to take a break from working out because of some
> injury they sustained during their marathon-like weightlifting
> sessions. I try to tell them it's better to do quick, intense workouts
> but they remain skeptical in spite of the progress that I'm making right
> before their eyes.

You have never had any injury in 2 years of lifting that made you at least
back off the weight/intensity for a little while. That is pretty
impressive. I have to admit most of my injuries come from just doing too
much, and I have been toning it down over time, but sometimes I still
over-do it and think, I can get another set of those.

You have the mental toughness (or lazyness) to say, thats enough, thats all
i need to gain, thats all I am doing. I think, man I loved the feelin I
got when I was moving all that iron, if I do it again I'll be even more
tired, it will be harder, but I will get an even bigger high when I finish
the lift.

I also have a theory that some people are naturally athletic and thier
bodies can take punishment and recover better than people who are not
naturally athletic

Could you post your current routine and poundages, again?

--Falooley

HIT Fanatic
November 30th 04, 10:21 PM
> You have the mental toughness (or lazyness) to say, thats enough, thats all
> i need to gain, thats all I am doing. I think, man I loved the feelin I
> got when I was moving all that iron, if I do it again I'll be even more
> tired, it will be harder, but I will get an even bigger high when I finish
> the lift.

I think its more laziness on my part. There are phases I go through
where I'm just "going through the motions" but as long as I'm
disciplined enough to keep up a low-volume program I'm happy enough.

> I also have a theory that some people are naturally athletic and thier
> bodies can take punishment and recover better than people who are not
> naturally athletic

I'm hardly athletic however. When I first started, I was benching 70
lbs for my work sets. I was the poster boy for the certified weakling.
Plus, I started lifting on the day of my 29th birthday two years ago. I
barely sustained any type of athletic activity in the first 29 years of
my life. Perhaps that is an advantage--I've also been free of injury
for the first 29 years as well.

> Could you post your current routine and poundages, again?

Here is my current workout along with poundages:

Monday
-Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
-Deadlifts 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 385 lbs

Thursday
-Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
-Bent-Over Rows 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 260 lbs

My poundages are out of whack when it comes to BP vs rows. I don't know
why.

My fingers hurt like hell when I do deadlifts. My grip won't be able to
keep up if I keep adding more weight to the bar. Should I switch to DL
straps? Otherwise I might just have to keep the weight the same from
now on and be happy at that weight.

Fish! (mmm Thecla)
December 1st 04, 01:37 AM
In article >, says...
> > You have the mental toughness (or lazyness) to say, thats enough, thats all
> > i need to gain, thats all I am doing. I think, man I loved the feelin I
> > got when I was moving all that iron, if I do it again I'll be even more
> > tired, it will be harder, but I will get an even bigger high when I finish
> > the lift.
>
> I think its more laziness on my part. There are phases I go through
> where I'm just "going through the motions" but as long as I'm
> disciplined enough to keep up a low-volume program I'm happy enough.
>
> > I also have a theory that some people are naturally athletic and thier
> > bodies can take punishment and recover better than people who are not
> > naturally athletic
>
> I'm hardly athletic however. When I first started, I was benching 70
> lbs for my work sets. I was the poster boy for the certified weakling.
> Plus, I started lifting on the day of my 29th birthday two years ago. I
> barely sustained any type of athletic activity in the first 29 years of
> my life. Perhaps that is an advantage--I've also been free of injury
> for the first 29 years as well.
>
> > Could you post your current routine and poundages, again?
>
> Here is my current workout along with poundages:
>
> Monday
> -Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
> -Deadlifts 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 385 lbs
>
> Thursday
> -Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
> -Bent-Over Rows 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 260 lbs
>
> My poundages are out of whack when it comes to BP vs rows. I don't know
> why.
>
> My fingers hurt like hell when I do deadlifts. My grip won't be able to
> keep up if I keep adding more weight to the bar. Should I switch to DL
> straps? Otherwise I might just have to keep the weight the same from
> now on and be happy at that weight.

Does your workout take more than 2 mins?

Tifosi Bob
December 1st 04, 05:02 AM
"HIT Fanatic" > wrote in message
>> Monday
> -Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
> -Deadlifts 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 385 lbs
>
> Thursday
> -Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
> -Bent-Over Rows 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 260 lbs

Everyone embellishes their weights in ng's, I DID bench 245 for 7 reps, I'm
44 years old. So what, who cares. In the gym the only person you try to
impress is yourself. Once you do this, your adoring fans will want you
everyday, which sometimes drags your workouts. Monday's are especially tough
during NFL season.

Bob Falooley
December 1st 04, 03:58 PM
HIT Fanatic wrote:

>> You have the mental toughness (or lazyness) to say, thats enough, thats
>> all
>> i need to gain, thats all I am doing.
>
> I think its more laziness on my part. There are phases I go through
> where I'm just "going through the motions" but as long as I'm
> disciplined enough to keep up a low-volume program I'm happy enough.

At least you know you are not overtraining.

>> Could you post your current routine and poundages, again?
>
> Here is my current workout along with poundages:
>
> Monday
> -Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
> -Deadlifts 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 385 lbs
>
> Thursday
> -Bench Press 1 set 6-8 reps, currently at 210 lbs
> -Bent-Over Rows 1 set 6-10 reps, currently at 260 lbs
>
> My poundages are out of whack when it comes to BP vs rows. I don't know
> why.

> My fingers hurt like hell when I do deadlifts. My grip won't be able to
> keep up if I keep adding more weight to the bar. Should I switch to DL
> straps? Otherwise I might just have to keep the weight the same from
> now on and be happy at that weight.

Your grip should keep up if you add weight slowly like you have been doing.
I never really got the point of straps or gloves, I think barehand is
always better. Its just nice to know you can lift something by yourself,
with no equipment, except for maybe a belt.

There are tons of posts about deadlift grip on MFW, you can go Alternate
Grip or hook grip when the conventional starts to fail. If you are already
doing that, then try some grip work like dead hangs or heavy barbell holds,
but I think you arn't going to add anything extra into your routine.
Though for a lazy ******* like yourself, standing there holding a bar or
just hanging from some grips should be right up your ally.

And do some squats for pete's sake.

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
December 1st 04, 05:24 PM
Stone Free wrote:

> Bob Falooley > wrote in
> :
>> There are tons of posts about deadlift grip on MFW, you can go
>> Alternate Grip or hook grip when the conventional starts to fail. If
> I know the alternate grip, whats hook grip?

Its like a conventional grip, but you put your first two or so fingers
overtop your thumbs. Apparently it hurts like hell at first.

--Falooley

Stone Free
December 1st 04, 05:50 PM
Bob Falooley > wrote in
:
> There are tons of posts about deadlift grip on MFW, you can go
> Alternate Grip or hook grip when the conventional starts to fail. If
I know the alternate grip, whats hook grip?

Bob Falooley
December 1st 04, 11:15 PM
Usenet Posting wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:02:23 -0500, Bob Falooley >

>>You have the mental toughness (or lazyness) to say, thats enough, thats
>>all
>>i need to gain, thats all I am doing. I think, man I loved the feelin I
>>got when I was moving all that iron, if I do it again I'll be even more
>>tired, it will be harder, but I will get an even bigger high when I finish
>>the lift.
>
> I present exhibit A.
>
> Oops, right, I was dropping this for now.
>

> --
> The pain is pretty overwhelming, prolly
> comparable only to childbirth or kidney stones.
> --Brian L.

You have a valid point about overdoing it, I (somewhat) agree with you.

--Falooley