PDA

View Full Version : calves and proportion

Rob Andrews
November 30th 04, 09:03 PM
My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even skinnier! It
seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble growing their
calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny calves, maybe it just
ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper leg too much, as the
proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you other skinny-calf guys do? Do
you hold back on the squats and deads till your calves (slowly) catch up? in
my case, that could be long wait!

Rob.

gman99
November 30th 04, 09:43 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote:
> My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
> responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even skinnier!
> It seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble growing their
> calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny calves, maybe it just
> ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper leg too much, as the
> proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you other skinny-calf guys do?
> Do you hold back on the squats and deads till your calves (slowly) catch
> up? in my case, that could be long wait!
>
> Rob.

Do a calf raise at the end of the movement...

Tony
November 30th 04, 11:46 PM
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:03:21 -0000, "Rob Andrews"
> wrote:

>My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
>responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even skinnier! It
>seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble growing their
>calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny calves, maybe it just
>ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper leg too much, as the
>proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you other skinny-calf guys do? Do
>you hold back on the squats and deads till your calves (slowly) catch up? in
>my case, that could be long wait!

Squat for squats sake. Don't stop so your calves catch up. Do calves as
part of your leg day if they bother you.

I worked for a paver pushing wheelbarrows full of asphalt for a short
time a few years ago (worst job I ever had), my calves were huge. The
lower leg of my jeans were tighter than the thighs. Too bad I wasn't
into weights then, I would 've appreciated it.

DRS
December 1st 04, 12:39 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message

> My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
> responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even
> skinnier! It seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble
> growing their calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny
> calves, maybe it just ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper
> leg too much, as the proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you
> other skinny-calf guys do? Do you hold back on the squats and deads
> till your calves (slowly) catch up?

Ridiculous idea.

Superset calf raises with your squats/deads.

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Jay
December 1st 04, 05:07 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message
> My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
> responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even skinnier! It
> seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble growing their
> calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny calves, maybe it just
> ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper leg too much, as the
> proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you other skinny-calf guys do?
> Do you hold back on the squats and deads till your calves (slowly) catch
> up? in my case, that could be long wait!
>
> Rob.
What are you doing now?
How about deadlifts?
are you doing ankle extension with the knee locked and bent to 90 degrees?
(heavy)
Are you doing any ballistic move like power cleans or power snatches?
Are you jumping rope?

If not, start.

Don't stop anything. You may not get much bigger calf muscles, but strive
to get them strong. You'll be fine.

bc
December 1st 04, 08:24 PM
"Rob Andrews" > wrote in message >...
> My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
> responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even skinnier! It
> seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble growing their
> calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny calves, maybe it just
> ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper leg too much, as the
> proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you other skinny-calf guys do? Do
> you hold back on the squats and deads till your calves (slowly) catch up? in
> my case, that could be long wait!
>
> Rob.

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/6adaf

And no, don't hold back on squats and other stuff.

- bc

Lurker
December 1st 04, 08:46 PM
bc wrote:
> "Rob Andrews" > wrote in message >...
>
>>My calves are pretty skinny, and now that my upper legs have started
>>responding to an MFW-insipred squatting blitz, they look even skinnier! It
>>seems from many MFW posts that many people have trouble growing their
>>calves, I'm certainly one. So if someone has skinny calves, maybe it just
>>ends up looking *worse* if they work the upper leg too much, as the
>>proportion is lost. Any thoughts? What do you other skinny-calf guys do? Do
>>you hold back on the squats and deads till your calves (slowly) catch up? in
>>my case, that could be long wait!
>>
>>Rob.
>

> Try this: http://tinyurl.com/6adaf
>
> And no, don't hold back on squats and other stuff.
>
> - bc
How would one go about adapting that to a full body three times a week
HST routine?

Just say screw it with HST for calves and use this?

Would it be reasonable to carry this over into other lifts in the
future, or is there something about the calves that makes working them
differently from other muscle better then the same way others are being
worked?

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo