PDA

View Full Version : where to buy cheap adjustable dumbbells?

Neo-LISPer
December 1st 04, 06:26 AM
Walmart sells "US Weight" adjustable (old-school) dumbbells, 60 lb set for
$20. I want to buy 100+ lb for similar $/lb. Any idea where?

Kevin J. Coolidge
December 1st 04, 02:55 PM
"Neo-LISPer" > wrote in message
> Walmart sells "US Weight" adjustable (old-school) dumbbells, 60 lb set for
> $20. I want to buy 100+ lb for similar $/lb. Any idea where?

I wouldn't buy "cheap" 100 pound dumbells. They will end up being expensive
if you can buy them. Either by falling apart, maybe on your head. Go to
www.ironmind.com buy a pair of big boy dumbells. They are expensive, but
you'll also be able to hand them down to your kids. You can make a 200 pound
dumbell out of them.

Proton Soup
December 1st 04, 04:31 PM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:55:02 GMT, "Kevin J. Coolidge" >
wrote:

>"Neo-LISPer" > wrote in message
>> Walmart sells "US Weight" adjustable (old-school) dumbbells, 60 lb set for
>> $20. I want to buy 100+ lb for similar $/lb. Any idea where?
>
>I wouldn't buy "cheap" 100 pound dumbells. They will end up being expensive
>if you can buy them. Either by falling apart, maybe on your head. Go to
>www.ironmind.com buy a pair of big boy dumbells. They are expensive, but
>you'll also be able to hand them down to your kids. You can make a 200 pound
>dumbell out of them.

Meh. I don't think he's asking for a single 100lb dumbell, but a
100lb set, which means 50lbs each. Easiest thing to do is just get
the 60lb set from WalMart, and while you're there, buy four additional
10lb plates. Should cost about $20 extra to do it that way.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Kevin J. Coolidge
December 1st 04, 06:27 PM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:55:02 GMT, "Kevin J. Coolidge" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Neo-LISPer" > wrote in message
>>> Walmart sells "US Weight" adjustable (old-school) dumbbells, 60 lb set
>>> for
>>> $20. I want to buy 100+ lb for similar $/lb. Any idea where?
>>
>>I wouldn't buy "cheap" 100 pound dumbells. They will end up being
>>expensive
>>if you can buy them. Either by falling apart, maybe on your head. Go to
>>www.ironmind.com buy a pair of big boy dumbells. They are expensive, but
>>you'll also be able to hand them down to your kids. You can make a 200
>>pound
>>dumbell out of them.
>
> Meh. I don't think he's asking for a single 100lb dumbell, but a
> 100lb set, which means 50lbs each. Easiest thing to do is just get
> the 60lb set from WalMart, and while you're there, buy four additional
> 10lb plates. Should cost about $20 extra to do it that way.
>
> -----------
> Proton Soup
>
> "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget that
not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new Ironmind
catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.

Lee Michaels
December 1st 04, 06:50 PM
"Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote

> oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget that
> not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new Ironmind
> catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.

Bad Kevin, BAD!!

You got your new Ironmind catalog and are experiencing some kinda public
fantasy response. :-)

Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)

They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog. This
catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is commonly
referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional (sexual?) responses
it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This catalog is seemingly
responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.

Peter Allen
December 1st 04, 09:51 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:4oord.497178$D%[email protected]_s51...
> Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)
>
> They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog.
This
> catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is commonly
> referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional (sexual?)
> it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This catalog is seemingly
> responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.

I'm really tempted to go over and see if I can find a chisel thread.

Just to see how many responses I get to 'I don't need chisels, I have
several perfectly good flathead screwdrivers'.

Peter

(anyway, you can cock something up thoroughly with good tools at least as
easily as with poor ones, just because the good tools give you that much
less time to think, no that wasn't where I wanted to cut.)

Dally
December 3rd 04, 02:12 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:
> "Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote
>
>>oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget that
>>not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new Ironmind
>>catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.
>>

> Bad Kevin, BAD!!
>
> You got your new Ironmind catalog and are experiencing some kinda public
> fantasy response. :-)
>
> Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)
>
> They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog. This
> catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is commonly
> referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional (sexual?) responses
> it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This catalog is seemingly
> responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.

Thanks for the warning. I'll know what catalog NOT to show my husband
(I'm about to wade through all the tons of junk mail.) My husband has
some compulsion involving saws. He needs a lot of them. Saws to cut in
any foreseeable circumstance. We don't need any more expensive addictions.

Dally

Lee Michaels
December 3rd 04, 03:27 PM
"Dally" > wrote

> Lee Michaels wrote:
> > "Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote
> >
> >>oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget
that
> >>not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new Ironmind
> >>catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.
> >>

> > Bad Kevin, BAD!!
> >
> > You got your new Ironmind catalog and are experiencing some kinda public
> > fantasy response. :-)
> >
> > Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)
> >
> > They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog.
This
> > catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is
commonly
> > referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional (sexual?)
> > it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This catalog is seemingly
> > responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.
>
> Thanks for the warning. I'll know what catalog NOT to show my husband
> (I'm about to wade through all the tons of junk mail.) My husband has
> some compulsion involving saws. He needs a lot of them. Saws to cut in
> any foreseeable circumstance. We don't need any more expensive
addictions.

You heartless bitch!! :-)

A saw freak, eh?

I assume you mean power saws of various kinds.

There are a lot of new, high quality hand saws out there now. Even power
tool freaks (Normites) neeed a hand saw now and then. And the hand saw
advocates (Neanders) are a growing market force in the woodworking industry.
Thus the new expanded offerings recently.

Suggestions for a saw freak.

I would get him a couple quality pull saws. There are small (usually
longhandled) saws that cut on the pull stroke. Very precise and
controllable. The Japanese are the masters of this sort of thing. Lots of
sources for japanese woodworking tools. And the 'mericans are starting to
make these too.

Also. a very similar saw is the flush cutting saw. It has teeth that are set
in one direction only. This allows you to cut any protusion from the wood
without marking or marring the surface of the wood. Very handly little tool.

And if he really has lots of power saws, he probably doesn't have a good way
to haul around or protect his saw blades. If you can get him a saw blade
carrier(s) or storage cabinet, it would be most appreciated.

Another idea. This comes under the catagory of home emergency supplies. If
he has cordless tools that have rechargable batteries, check on the BRAND
and VOLTAGE of the batteries. (These are NOT interchangeable). Then buy a
flashlight or two to fit these batteries. In case of a power outage or other
such emergency, these lights last a long time and are very durable and
bright.

Go easy on the guy. He NEEDS his tools. It is what differentiates him from
the primates.

Lee Michaels

Hugh Beyer
December 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in
news:4oord.497178$D%[email protected]_s51:

> "Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote
>>
>> oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget
>> that not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new
>> Ironmind catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.
>>

> Bad Kevin, BAD!!
>
> You got your new Ironmind catalog and are experiencing some kinda public
> fantasy response. :-)
>
> Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)
>
> They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog.
> This catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is
> commonly referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional
> (sexual?) responses it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This
> catalog is seemingly responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.

Had a look and it's okay, but two words: GarretWade.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Peter Allen
December 3rd 04, 10:39 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
news:_B%[email protected]_s54...

> "Dally" > wrote
> > Thanks for the warning. I'll know what catalog NOT to show my husband
> > (I'm about to wade through all the tons of junk mail.) My husband has
> > some compulsion involving saws. He needs a lot of them. Saws to cut in
> > any foreseeable circumstance. We don't need any more expensive
> addictions.
> >

> You heartless bitch!! :-)
>
> A saw freak, eh?
>
> I assume you mean power saws of various kinds.
>
> There are a lot of new, high quality hand saws out there now. Even power
> tool freaks (Normites) neeed a hand saw now and then. And the hand saw
> advocates (Neanders) are a growing market force in the woodworking
industry.
> Thus the new expanded offerings recently.
>
> Suggestions for a saw freak.
>
> I would get him a couple quality pull saws. There are small (usually
> longhandled) saws that cut on the pull stroke. Very precise and
> controllable. The Japanese are the masters of this sort of thing. Lots of
> sources for japanese woodworking tools. And the 'mericans are starting to
> make these too.

Alternatively, a proper belt saw will never fail to please. Ones with the
suction system as a separate box are particularly valued.

Then you only need a reasonable tenon saw, a really good fretsaw, and
probably a good hacksaw for metal.

> Go easy on the guy. He NEEDS his tools. It is what differentiates him
from
> the primates.

:-)

Probably the only reason we don't still beat our chests when we get annoyed
is because Primitive Man smacked himself in the ribs one too many times with
the latest model Black+Decker sharpened flint he just couldn't put down.

Peter

Lucas Buck
December 4th 04, 10:04 AM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:50:41 GMT, "Lee Michaels" > wrote:

>"Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote
>>
>> oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget that
>> not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new Ironmind
>> catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.
>>

>Bad Kevin, BAD!!
>
>You got your new Ironmind catalog and are experiencing some kinda public
>fantasy response. :-)
>
>Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)
>
>They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog. This
>catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is commonly
>referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional (sexual?) responses
>it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This catalog is seemingly
>responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.

Do they have hot models like the Dillon Precision cover girls?

Lee Michaels
December 4th 04, 01:02 PM
"Lucas Buck" > wrote

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:50:41 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:
>

> >"Kevin J. Coolidge" > wrote
> >>
> >> oops, I didn't read it that way, but I think you are right. I forget
that
> >> not everyone wants a 100 pound dumbell. And I just got the new Ironmind
> >> catalog, which I think is my Xmas list.
> >>

> >Bad Kevin, BAD!!
> >
> >You got your new Ironmind catalog and are experiencing some kinda public
> >fantasy response. :-)
> >
> >Reminds me of the crowd over at the wreck. (rec.woodworking)
> >
> >They have a love affair with Lee Valley, a premuim woodworking catalog.
This
> >catalog features high quality tools with prices to match. It is commonly
> >referred to as "tool porn". Due to the strong emotional (sexual?)
> >it causes among woodworkers everywhere. This catalog is seemingly
> >responsible for all kinds of irrational behavior.
>

> Do they have hot models like the Dillon Precision cover girls?

Nope.

Just thousands of pictures of beautiful tools.

Each photographed to show off their inherent tool sexiness.

Its a guy-woodworker-tool thang.