PDA

View Full Version : initial weight gain when starting a program?

Sarah
December 1st 04, 02:06 PM
I hear this a lot from people who start an exercise program. They gain
a few pounds at the start and feel discouraged. Some people say
they're gaining muscle but there is no way they're gaining 5 pounds of
muscle in the first 2 months. These are people (men & women) who are
trying to lose or maintain their weight.

Is there some water retention at the start? Will their weight
eventually go back down?

Jay
December 1st 04, 02:35 PM
"Sarah" > wrote in message
om...
>I hear this a lot from people who start an exercise program. They gain
> a few pounds at the start and feel discouraged. Some people say
> they're gaining muscle but there is no way they're gaining 5 pounds of
> muscle in the first 2 months. These are people (men & women) who are
> trying to lose or maintain their weight.
>
> Is there some water retention at the start? Will their weight
> eventually go back down?
No way for a newbie to gain 5 pounds in 2 months?
For a male, it'd be hard not to. Women, a little more difficult but not
impossible.

Peter Allen
December 1st 04, 04:37 PM
"Sarah" > wrote in message
om...
> I hear this a lot from people who start an exercise program. They gain
> a few pounds at the start and feel discouraged. Some people say
> they're gaining muscle but there is no way they're gaining 5 pounds of
> muscle in the first 2 months. These are people (men & women) who are
> trying to lose or maintain their weight.
>
> Is there some water retention at the start?

Seems to be - probably someone here can say why (more glycogen being stored
in muscles?).

> Will their weight
> eventually go back down?

Well, if they lose fat it will. In any case, unless you have a reason to get
to a particular weight (sports requirement or similar) you probably
shouldn't be just aiming to lose weight, you should be aiming to improve
fitness. Which for some people will mean they end up weighing the same or
more, but with less fat and more muscle.

Peter

Blair P. Houghton
December 1st 04, 07:24 PM
Sarah > wrote:
>I hear this a lot from people who start an exercise program. They gain
>a few pounds at the start and feel discouraged. Some people say
>they're gaining muscle but there is no way they're gaining 5 pounds of
>muscle in the first 2 months. These are people (men & women) who are
>trying to lose or maintain their weight.

It's not muscle fiber, but inactive muscles do increase
their continuous store of various fluids when they return
to regular exercise.

Also, if they are still eating more than 115% of the
calories they expend, they will increase the mass of their
muscle tissue, and fairly rapidly (up to a pound a week).

For a hyper-extreme case, look up Casey Viator and the
Colorado Experiment. He was a big-time bodybuilder who got
in an accident, and his body atrophied while he recovered.
When he got back into the gym, he gained over 60 lbs in
just two weeks.

>Is there some water retention at the start? Will their weight
>eventually go back down?

Not their LBM, if they're eating right.

It will stabilize after a few weeks. Then, if they are in
a moderate calorie deficit, their fat loss will continue.

But if they're in an excessive calorie deficit, their LBM
will start to drop and their body will retain the fat. Pretty
cruel, huh, finally getting the discipline to stop eating and
finding out it's the last thing you want.

--Blair
"Health is evil."

Sarah
December 2nd 04, 11:47 AM
Jay wrote:
> No way for a newbie to gain 5 pounds in 2 months?
> For a male, it'd be hard not to. Women, a little more difficult but
not
> impossible.

Is it possible to actually gain 5 pounds of muscle so quickly with
average weight training. I'm not talking about people training at
Gold's with Arnold. I'm referring to those average people who just join
a gym and start using it on their own, maybe 2 or 3 times to work out.

I would think it would take almost a year for the average person. Or is
it quicker than that? Any idea, as I'm trying to boost my lean body
mass.

Thank you.

Helgi Briem
December 2nd 04, 01:43 PM
On 2 Dec 2004 03:47:34 -0800, "Sarah" > wrote:

>Jay wrote:
>> No way for a newbie to gain 5 pounds in 2 months?
>> For a male, it'd be hard not to. Women, a little more difficult but
>> not impossible.
>
>Is it possible to actually gain 5 pounds of muscle so quickly with
>average weight training. I'm not talking about people training at
>Gold's with Arnold. I'm referring to those average people who just join
>a gym and start using it on their own, maybe 2 or 3 times to work out.

Sure. For a beginner, pretty easy. It would get harder as
the person gets more advanced, but yes, 5 lbs of muscle
in 2 months is pretty feasible for most genetically average,
non-drug-using, casually training beginner to intermediate
males.

For females, harder, but certainly possible, as Jay said.

>I would think it would take almost a year for the average person. Or is
>it quicker than that? Any idea, as I'm trying to boost my lean body
>mass.

For a very small woman, it might take a year under some
circs. But probably not that long with a sane routine and
a sane diet.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.