PDA

View Full Version : Have the New Years Crew Showed Up At Your Gym Yet?

Ali Syed
December 1st 04, 02:28 PM
Just wondering if people have started to notice the New Years Crew
people starting to show up at the gym in their 'new' outfits....

I hope some of them become FT gym enthusiasts ...

Then again the NYC help keep my gym membership in the low $20
range....

BTW..I usually switch from 7:30 pm starts to 9:30 pm starts during NYC
season as most NYCs come to the gym in swarms starting at 6 pm and
usually taper off around 9 pm or so (guessing cause prime time tv
starts..)

I wish them the best of luck though...

Ali

JayB
December 1st 04, 04:09 PM
"Ali Syed" > wrote in message
om...
> Just wondering if people have started to notice the New Years Crew
> people starting to show up at the gym in their 'new' outfits....

Just move to Minnesota for the winter. Avoid the gym by getting a great
workout dragging a portable ice house over six inches of snow (cardio),
doing ice auger deadlifts and crappie curls. If you need to increase your
weights, go to Red Lake (36+ inches of ice and huge crappies).
;-)

--
JayB

Blair P. Houghton
December 1st 04, 07:34 PM
Ali Syed > wrote:
>Just wondering if people have started to notice the New Years Crew
>people starting to show up at the gym in their 'new' outfits....

I was talking to one of the instructors today.

When I joined up at this gym in September or so, there
were a number of people who would do walking lunges with
weights held at their sides, up and down the aisles between
the machines.

Now they're all gone.

We figure there'll be more in January when the "resolution"
folks start showing up and getting the beginner tutorial.

>I hope some of them become FT gym enthusiasts ...
>
>Then again the NYC help keep my gym membership in the low $20
>range....

LA Fitness has a deal they don't advertise where you can
buy the first two years for $600 (the normal $25/mo up
front, no initiation fee), and then after that you can
rebuy each year for $100 total. That's the one I got,
figuring even if I get hurt I can use the pool and never
be out of the gym again. It costs more in the NY/NJ area,
and your salesman may not know of the deal, so YMMV.

>BTW..I usually switch from 7:30 pm starts to 9:30 pm starts during NYC
>season as most NYCs come to the gym in swarms starting at 6 pm and
>usually taper off around 9 pm or so (guessing cause prime time tv
>starts..)

I'm not sure what I'll do. I was going in at 6 am
because that was the same time I was riding my bike on
non-gym days. Then the sunrise started to slide and I
don't want to ride in the dark, so my wakeup times slid
along with them. Now I get in at 8 every day because
I don't ride in the cold, either. But I think when the
resolutionistas show up there'll be two classes: those
who have to get to work at 8 and will be in the gym at 6,
and those who don't and will be in at 7:30 or 8...

I may have to start riding in the frost...

>I wish them the best of luck though...

--Blair
"I gotta go eat."

Lurker
December 1st 04, 07:58 PM
Ali Syed wrote:

> Just wondering if people have started to notice the New Years Crew
> people starting to show up at the gym in their 'new' outfits....
>
> I hope some of them become FT gym enthusiasts ...
>
> Then again the NYC help keep my gym membership in the low $20
> range....
>

> BTW..I usually switch from 7:30 pm starts to 9:30 pm starts during NYC
> season as most NYCs come to the gym in swarms starting at 6 pm and
> usually taper off around 9 pm or so (guessing cause prime time tv
> starts..)
>
> I wish them the best of luck though...
>
> Ali
I was talking to one of the guys that works the front counter a while
back. Seems there was a big surge about a week before Halloween. Felt
like there was another last week.

I have found a good use for the PTs with this latest influx though. They
are great for showing the new folks all the cybex and hammerstrength
machines, which keeps them out of the powercages.

If I show up at the gym at 7:20 pm (days when my son goes to bed early,
the gym is only three blocks away so I go right after my boy goes to
bed.) the parking lot is half full. If I wait until a quarter before 8
there might be ten cars in the lot. It seems that the "body pump"
classes are done with for the day at 7:30.

I've only had to wait for a squat rack once in 8 weeks and that was
because of a buddy of mine on a Saturday afternoon. I have yet to not be
able to walk in and get right on an elliptical machine on cardio days.
Last night there was only one left, but one is all I use.

During the same conversation with the guy that works there, he let it
slip that only about 20% of the people that pay their monthly dues
actually ever darken the doorway.

If you are one of the 80% of the members at the Yakima Gold's Gym I
would like to personally thank you.

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

John Hanson
December 2nd 04, 05:22 AM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:09:35 GMT, "JayB" > wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>"Ali Syed" > wrote in message
om...
>> Just wondering if people have started to notice the New Years Crew
>> people starting to show up at the gym in their 'new' outfits....
>
>Just move to Minnesota for the winter. Avoid the gym by getting a great
>workout dragging a portable ice house over six inches of snow (cardio),
>doing ice auger deadlifts and crappie curls. If you need to increase your
>weights, go to Red Lake (36+ inches of ice and huge crappies).
>;-)

It's funny how they're still getting the slab crappies there albeit
they're harder to find now. How long has it been now, 5 years?

DHW
December 2nd 04, 04:28 PM
On 1 Dec 2004 06:28:55 -0800, (Ali Syed) wrote:

>Just wondering if people have started to notice the New Years Crew
>people starting to show up at the gym in their 'new' outfits....
>
>I hope some of them become FT gym enthusiasts ...
>
>Then again the NYC help keep my gym membership in the low $20
>range....
>

>BTW..I usually switch from 7:30 pm starts to 9:30 pm starts during NYC
>season as most NYCs come to the gym in swarms starting at 6 pm and
>usually taper off around 9 pm or so (guessing cause prime time tv
>starts..)
>
>I wish them the best of luck though...
>
>Ali
The World Gym I go to moved to a new building toward the end of
summer. There were a lot of new folks that came in then. I don't know
if they continue to come in on a regular basis or not. I tend to see
the same group of guys/gals when I'm there.

As someone else mentioned -- the new folks do keep the membership fees
low (and my company pitches in a bit).
D. Wells

Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

rick++
December 3rd 04, 02:55 PM
The hoardes dont start coming until January.
However I do notice some novice females. They are identified by their
new clothes and lack of form in exercising.