PDA

View Full Version : DOMS and Strength

jw
December 1st 04, 08:45 PM
I have never trained with bad DOMS, but was just wondering as to whether or
not you are actually weaker when your muscles are still sore from it? Can't
seem to find any articles on the matter.

Thanks

Keith Hobman
December 1st 04, 08:59 PM
In article >, "jw"
> wrote:

> I have never trained with bad DOMS, but was just wondering as to whether or
> not you are actually weaker when your muscles are still sore from it? Can't
> seem to find any articles on the matter.

I'd be suprised if you weren't. Even if there is no physical manifestation
of DOMS, mentally you are going to have a hard time pushing yourself when
you are hurting.

I've been battling a sprained left wrist. Both the bench and the squat can
be uncomfortable - gripping the bar hurts. You expect to lose some pop in
the bench, but I also lose some in the squat on days when the wrist is
really tight.

Mainly because when pain is making inroads on your psyche it is hard to
focus on generating maximal force. However, if the siutation was where I'm
really psyched and don't feel the sprain I doubt it will affect my lifts.

Bench_Poster
December 7th 04, 07:53 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:
> In article >, "jw"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have never trained with bad DOMS, but was just wondering as to
whether or
> > not you are actually weaker when your muscles are still sore from
it? Can't
> > seem to find any articles on the matter.
>

> I'd be suprised if you weren't. Even if there is no physical
manifestation
> of DOMS, mentally you are going to have a hard time pushing yourself
when
> you are hurting.
>
> I've been battling a sprained left wrist. Both the bench and the
squat can
> be uncomfortable - gripping the bar hurts. You expect to lose some
pop in
> the bench, but I also lose some in the squat on days when the wrist
is
> really tight.
>
> Mainly because when pain is making inroads on your psyche it is hard
> focus on generating maximal force. However, if the siutation was
where I'm
> really psyched and don't feel the sprain I doubt it will affect my
lifts.

I can bench the same amount with a sore deltoid so, your sprain
shouldn't be that significant