PDA

View Full Version : Re: Need Some Tips from a Newbie - Gym trainer vs ???

Hugh Beyer
December 2nd 04, 01:58 AM
alan > wrote in
:

> Hi All-
>
> I'm thinking about just joining one of the local gyms around me
> (brooklyn, nyc).

So do it.

> I know there's always a right way vs. the wrong way
> when lifting weights.....haven't been to the gym in years.
>
> Am I better off just sticking with the local gym trainer just to get
> the proper form back ? Need some advice fella's

If the trainer's good, good. Get some knowledge so you have a clue if they
are good or not. Read these:

http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html -- FAQ for this newsgroup. Good summary
of most of what you need to know.

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html -- good, comprehensible intro to
weightlifting-info applies to both guys and gals. Start here.

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm -- lots of video
showing proper form for various exercises.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

Jeff Finlayson
December 2nd 04, 03:05 AM
alan wrote:

> Hi All-
> I'm thinking about just joining one of the local gyms around me
> (brooklyn, nyc). I know there's always a right way vs. the wrong way
> when lifting weights.....haven't been to the gym in years.
>
> Am I better off just sticking with the local gym trainer just to get
> the proper form back ? Need some advice fella's

Best thing to do is find out as much on your own. If you know
very little, any trainer will look like the best, even if he/she
is far from it.