PDA

View Full Version : o.k dog lovers/experts

lurker.poultrytamer
December 2nd 04, 02:51 AM
Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.

http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg
http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg
http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg

Both are mixed breed from the pound. The white one was purchased at the
Pierce county humane society while I was at University over there in 96.
She is around 9 years old and 38lbs. The brown one was from the Yakima
county humane society after moving home and getting a day job. She was
purchased as a companion to the white one. The brown one weighs about
60lbs and is about two years younger then the white one.

The white one's name is Sammy and the brown one is called Riley.

I included the boy in a couple photos as a size reference. He is 15
months old 32" tall and about 27.5lbs.

I wish I was buff like the brown dog. She can pull a 300lb man up a
slight incline on a bicycle. It also takes three adults to clip her nails.

I happen to know the breeds that were mixed to get the white dog, but
only have guesses at the brown one. I am curious to hear what ya'll
think. Also, the white dog's hair has been cut. It is usually about 4-6"
long.

Lurker

Randy Shrader
December 2nd 04, 03:16 AM
"lurker.poultrytamer" > wrote in message
> Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.
>
> http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
> http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg
> http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
> http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg
> http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
> http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg
>
> Both are mixed breed from the pound. The white one was purchased at the
> Pierce county humane society while I was at University over there in 96.
> She is around 9 years old and 38lbs. The brown one was from the Yakima
> county humane society after moving home and getting a day job. She was
> purchased as a companion to the white one. The brown one weighs about
> 60lbs and is about two years younger then the white one.
>
> The white one's name is Sammy and the brown one is called Riley.
>
> I included the boy in a couple photos as a size reference. He is 15 months
> old 32" tall and about 27.5lbs.
>
> I wish I was buff like the brown dog. She can pull a 300lb man up a slight
> incline on a bicycle. It also takes three adults to clip her nails.
>
> I happen to know the breeds that were mixed to get the white dog, but only
> have guesses at the brown one. I am curious to hear what ya'll think.
> Also, the white dog's hair has been cut. It is usually about 4-6" long.
>
> Lurker

Sammy looks part American Eskimo, maybe with some Sheltie or Border Collie.
Riley looks like a pitbull cross.

Randy

Lucas Buck
December 2nd 04, 11:22 AM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:51:34 -0800, "lurker.poultrytamer"
> wrote:

>Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.
>
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg

Glowing red eyes.

>http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg

Glowing green eyes.

>http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg

Even the kid has glowing red eyes.

Offhand, I'd guess the parentage of all three is... SATAN!

December 2nd 04, 03:13 PM
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:51:34 -0800, "lurker.poultrytamer"
> wrote:

>Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.
>
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
>http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg

I'ld say for sure sammy is half boarder collie, although not sure
about the other half. I would also guess riley is half bit bull,
especially considering the strength factor. Based on the ears and
face markings I would guess the other half is likely beagle.

And your wife looks pretty good in a tight shirt. ; )

Hal

>Both are mixed breed from the pound. The white one was purchased at the
>Pierce county humane society while I was at University over there in 96.
>She is around 9 years old and 38lbs. The brown one was from the Yakima
>county humane society after moving home and getting a day job. She was
>purchased as a companion to the white one. The brown one weighs about
>60lbs and is about two years younger then the white one.
>
>The white one's name is Sammy and the brown one is called Riley.
>
>I included the boy in a couple photos as a size reference. He is 15
>months old 32" tall and about 27.5lbs.
>
>I wish I was buff like the brown dog. She can pull a 300lb man up a
>slight incline on a bicycle. It also takes three adults to clip her nails.
>
>I happen to know the breeds that were mixed to get the white dog, but
>only have guesses at the brown one. I am curious to hear what ya'll
>think. Also, the white dog's hair has been cut. It is usually about 4-6"
>long.
>
>Lurker

Lurker
December 2nd 04, 03:45 PM
> I'ld say for sure sammy is half boarder collie, although not sure
> about the other half. I would also guess riley is half bit bull,
> especially considering the strength factor. Based on the ears and
> face markings I would guess the other half is likely beagle.
>
> And your wife looks pretty good in a tight shirt. ; )
>
> Hal

She tried to get me to clip the photo because she thought it made her
look fat.

I'm waiting until the last part of the day to say what I was told Sammy
is. Wouldn't want to spoil the fun now.

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

David Cohen
December 2nd 04, 05:17 PM
"Randy Shrader" > wrote
> "lurker.poultrytamer" > wrote
>> Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.
>>
>> http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
>> http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg
>> http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
>> http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg
>> http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
>> http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg
>>
>> Both are mixed breed from the pound. The white one was purchased at the
>> Pierce county humane society while I was at University over there in 96.
>> She is around 9 years old and 38lbs. The brown one was from the Yakima
>> county humane society after moving home and getting a day job. She was
>> purchased as a companion to the white one. The brown one weighs about
>> 60lbs and is about two years younger then the white one.
>>
>> The white one's name is Sammy and the brown one is called Riley.
>>
>> I included the boy in a couple photos as a size reference. He is 15
>> months old 32" tall and about 27.5lbs.
>>
>> I wish I was buff like the brown dog. She can pull a 300lb man up a
>> slight incline on a bicycle. It also takes three adults to clip her
>> nails.
>>
>> I happen to know the breeds that were mixed to get the white dog, but
>> only have guesses at the brown one. I am curious to hear what ya'll
>> think. Also, the white dog's hair has been cut. It is usually about 4-6"
>> long.

> Sammy looks part American Eskimo, maybe with some Sheltie or Border
> Collie. Riley looks like a pitbull cross.

Don't know about Sammy, as I am not all that familiar with the breeds
involved. However, I see absolutely no Pit Bull in Riley. The coat, muzzle,
cheeks, stop, chest, everything is wrong. But, who the hell knows? A good
dog is a good dog, regardless.

David

Keith Hobman
December 2nd 04, 05:25 PM
In article et>, "David
Cohen" > wrote:

> "Randy Shrader" > wrote
> > "lurker.poultrytamer" > wrote
> >> Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.
> >>
> >> http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
> >> http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg
> >> http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
> >> http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg
> >> http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
> >> http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg
> >>
> >> Both are mixed breed from the pound. The white one was purchased at the
> >> Pierce county humane society while I was at University over there in 96.
> >> She is around 9 years old and 38lbs. The brown one was from the Yakima
> >> county humane society after moving home and getting a day job. She was
> >> purchased as a companion to the white one. The brown one weighs about
> >> 60lbs and is about two years younger then the white one.
> >>
> >> The white one's name is Sammy and the brown one is called Riley.
> >>
> >> I included the boy in a couple photos as a size reference. He is 15
> >> months old 32" tall and about 27.5lbs.
> >>
> >> I wish I was buff like the brown dog. She can pull a 300lb man up a
> >> slight incline on a bicycle. It also takes three adults to clip her
> >> nails.
> >>
> >> I happen to know the breeds that were mixed to get the white dog, but
> >> only have guesses at the brown one. I am curious to hear what ya'll
> >> think. Also, the white dog's hair has been cut. It is usually about 4-6"
> >> long.
>
> > Sammy looks part American Eskimo, maybe with some Sheltie or Border
> > Collie. Riley looks like a pitbull cross.
>
> Don't know about Sammy, as I am not all that familiar with the breeds
> involved. However, I see absolutely no Pit Bull in Riley. The coat, muzzle,
> cheeks, stop, chest, everything is wrong. But, who the hell knows? A good
> dog is a good dog, regardless.

I've owned American Staffordshire terrier and a pitbull/shepherd cross and
I agree with David. Doesn't look like any kind of a bull terrier. But a
good dog is a good dog...

:^)

Lurker
December 2nd 04, 05:35 PM
David Cohen wrote:

> "Randy Shrader" > wrote
>
>>"lurker.poultrytamer" > wrote
>>
>>>Let's hear your thoughts on the parentage of these two dogs.
>>>
>>>http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy1.jpg
>>>http://jamesrobert.us/images/sammy2.jpg
>>>http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley1.jpg
>>>http://jamesrobert.us/images/riley2.jpg
>>>http://jamesrobert.us/images/both.jpg
>>>http://jamesrobert.us/images/all3.jpg
>>>
>>>Both are mixed breed from the pound. The white one was purchased at the
>>>Pierce county humane society while I was at University over there in 96.
>>>She is around 9 years old and 38lbs. The brown one was from the Yakima
>>>county humane society after moving home and getting a day job. She was
>>>purchased as a companion to the white one. The brown one weighs about
>>>60lbs and is about two years younger then the white one.
>>>
>>>The white one's name is Sammy and the brown one is called Riley.
>>>
>>>I included the boy in a couple photos as a size reference. He is 15
>>>months old 32" tall and about 27.5lbs.
>>>
>>>I wish I was buff like the brown dog. She can pull a 300lb man up a
>>>slight incline on a bicycle. It also takes three adults to clip her
>>>nails.
>>>
>>>I happen to know the breeds that were mixed to get the white dog, but
>>>only have guesses at the brown one. I am curious to hear what ya'll
>>>think. Also, the white dog's hair has been cut. It is usually about 4-6"
>>>long.
>

>>Sammy looks part American Eskimo, maybe with some Sheltie or Border
>>Collie. Riley looks like a pitbull cross.
>

> Don't know about Sammy, as I am not all that familiar with the breeds
> involved. However, I see absolutely no Pit Bull in Riley. The coat, muzzle,
> cheeks, stop, chest, everything is wrong. But, who the hell knows? A good
> dog is a good dog, regardless.
>
> David

I agree completely about a good dog is a good dog. That is one of the
main reasons that I get mine out of the pound. I don't use them as a
tool for anything and it really tears me up to know that there are good
dogs going to waste in there.

I just did this for ****s and grins of course.

I have had the same conversation with the vet, passerbys in the Lowes'
parking lot, family etc. It's kinda fun to get other's opinions on it
just to hear all the very differing opinions.

It's also quite interesting to be around breeds that you aren't used to.
We have some friends on the other side of the mountains with a
Dalmation. There are numerous similarities between Riley and their dog.
Muscle structure, head shape, tail, general size, body shape, even
muzzle look. I don't think that Riley has any Dalmation in her, but
whatever she does have in her is quite similar to that dalmation.

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

Keith Hobman
December 2nd 04, 06:59 PM
In article >, Lurker
> wrote:

> David Cohen wrote:
>
> > "Randy Shrader" > wrote
> >
> >>"lurker.poultrytamer" > wrote

> >>Sammy looks part American Eskimo, maybe with some Sheltie or Border
> >>Collie. Riley looks like a pitbull cross.
> >

> > Don't know about Sammy, as I am not all that familiar with the breeds
> > involved. However, I see absolutely no Pit Bull in Riley. The coat, muzzle,
> > cheeks, stop, chest, everything is wrong. But, who the hell knows? A good
> > dog is a good dog, regardless.
> >
> > David
> >

> I agree completely about a good dog is a good dog. That is one of the
> main reasons that I get mine out of the pound. I don't use them as a
> tool for anything and it really tears me up to know that there are good
> dogs going to waste in there.
>
> I just did this for ****s and grins of course.
>
> I have had the same conversation with the vet, passerbys in the Lowes'
> parking lot, family etc. It's kinda fun to get other's opinions on it
> just to hear all the very differing opinions.
>
> It's also quite interesting to be around breeds that you aren't used to.
> We have some friends on the other side of the mountains with a
> Dalmation. There are numerous similarities between Riley and their dog.
> Muscle structure, head shape, tail, general size, body shape, even
> muzzle look. I don't think that Riley has any Dalmation in her, but
> whatever she does have in her is quite similar to that dalmation.

Couple of breeds to consider (I was thinking of the weimaraner when you
mentioned similiar to the Dalmation).

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshorthairedpointer.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/weimaraner.htm

Lurker
December 2nd 04, 07:38 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> In article >, Lurker
> > wrote:
>

>>David Cohen wrote:
>>

>>>"Randy Shrader" > wrote

>>>Don't know about Sammy, as I am not all that familiar with the breeds
>>>involved. However, I see absolutely no Pit Bull in Riley. The coat, muzzle,
>>>cheeks, stop, chest, everything is wrong. But, who the hell knows? A good
>>>dog is a good dog, regardless.
>>>
>>>David
>>>

>>I agree completely about a good dog is a good dog. That is one of the
>>main reasons that I get mine out of the pound. I don't use them as a
>>tool for anything and it really tears me up to know that there are good
>>dogs going to waste in there.
>>
>>I just did this for ****s and grins of course.
>>
>>I have had the same conversation with the vet, passerbys in the Lowes'
>>parking lot, family etc. It's kinda fun to get other's opinions on it
>>just to hear all the very differing opinions.
>>
>>It's also quite interesting to be around breeds that you aren't used to.
>>We have some friends on the other side of the mountains with a
>>Dalmation. There are numerous similarities between Riley and their dog.
>>Muscle structure, head shape, tail, general size, body shape, even
>>muzzle look. I don't think that Riley has any Dalmation in her, but
>>whatever she does have in her is quite similar to that dalmation.
>

> Couple of breeds to consider (I was thinking of the weimaraner when you
> mentioned similiar to the Dalmation).
>
> http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshorthairedpointer.htm
>
> http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/weimaraner.htm

In high school I used to hunt with a guy that had a weimaraner. I had
thought of it before.

Truth be known the more time I spend looking into it the more I think
that she is prolly a mix of two mixed parents. She has that distincively
husky face marking, will talk to you like a hound or beagle, is built
like a cross between a boxer and a dalmation, the vet says there is lab
in her but she hates water, she has dainty greyhound like feet and is
not very vocal unless coerced into it by her human friends.

It's fun to hear others thoughts though.

Sammy on the other hand is half sheltie (see barky) half American eskimo
just like someone had guessed earlier. I would love to meet the folx who
had her before me. She is one of the smartest gentlest dogs I have ever
met. The sign on the cage at the pound where I got her at 8 months old
said, "great with children, can't housetrain". When I first went to pet
her she dropped to the floor in a submissive position and wet herself.
More like don't know how to housetrain. I would love to meet them, just
once.

When she was younger and thinner, you could lift her off the ground by
the tennis ball that she would clinch down on in her mouth. My arm would
get tired before she would let go. Also used to be able to play the
airplane game with her like a little kid. I would spin in circles with
her holding the tug rope. It was one of the coolest things I had seen a
dog do.

She delivered all the campus mail and copier paper with me every day for
two years. Used to stand on the passenger seat with her front paws out
on the rearview mirror. She knew the sound of the truck getting ready to
shift gears and would shift her weight right before hand to keep her
balance. The campus security office had food and water for her on a "no
pets" campus. She would sit outside the halls and wait while I was in
class. She was always the kind of "cool" dog you want to remember having
in college.

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

John Hanson
December 3rd 04, 12:56 AM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:35:24 -0800, Lurker
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>I agree completely about a good dog is a good dog. That is one of the
>main reasons that I get mine out of the pound. I don't use them as a
>tool for anything and it really tears me up to know that there are good
>dogs going to waste in there.

My dog uses me as a tool. He gets downright upset if I don't shoot at
a bird or if I miss while bird hunting. The weekend before last, we
were hunting out by the Dakota border, which was closed to Canada
geese, when a flock flew over. My buddy Tim pulled up like he was
going to shoot but just followed them with the barrel of his shotgun.
He was in my blind at the time and my dog, Buddy, was absolutely
distraught that we didn't shoot. He jumped up at me and barked a
couple of times. He got over it rather quickly when they flew out of
sight and I explained that they weren't in season though.

Jim
December 3rd 04, 01:37 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:35:24 -0800, Lurker
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

>>I agree completely about a good dog is a good dog. That is one of the
>>main reasons that I get mine out of the pound. I don't use them as a
>>tool for anything and it really tears me up to know that there are good
>>dogs going to waste in there.
>
> My dog uses me as a tool. He gets downright upset if I don't shoot at
> a bird or if I miss while bird hunting. The weekend before last, we
> were hunting out by the Dakota border, which was closed to Canada
> geese, when a flock flew over. My buddy Tim pulled up like he was
> going to shoot but just followed them with the barrel of his shotgun.
> He was in my blind at the time and my dog, Buddy, was absolutely
> distraught that we didn't shoot. He jumped up at me and barked a
> couple of times. He got over it rather quickly when they flew out of
> sight and I explained that they weren't in season though.

Reminds me of the last time I went hunting. We were out pheasent hunting
with no luck. I got anxious and was ready to shoot anything that flew. I saw
this huge bird and raised my gun..My buddy said..stop Jim! thats a
heron..you cant shoot that!

Jim

December 3rd 04, 01:52 AM
Lurker > wrote in message >...
> Sammy on the other hand is half sheltie (see barky) half American eskimo
> just like someone had guessed earlier. I would love to meet the folx who
> had her before me. She is one of the smartest gentlest dogs I have ever
> met. The sign on the cage at the pound where I got her at 8 months old
> said, "great with children, can't housetrain". When I first went to pet
> her she dropped to the floor in a submissive position and wet herself.
> More like don't know how to housetrain. I would love to meet them, just
> once.

I have seen german shepherds and terriers wet themselves when they get
excited or frightened. It does not necessarily mean abuse. Some dogs
are just frightened by strangers. It takes a lot of TLC to bring them
out of their shells.

I had a border collie as a kid. One of the smartest gentlest dogs I
have ever met =) Very sensitive though, if you said "out" a bit loudly
the tail would go between the legs and she would crawl out. Herding
came instinctively to her without ever being taught.

Riley looks like a labrador/ridgeback cross to me.

Jim
December 3rd 04, 02:06 AM
"T" > wrote in message
m...
> Lurker > wrote in message
>> Sammy on the other hand is half sheltie (see barky) half American eskimo
>> just like someone had guessed earlier. I would love to meet the folx who
>> had her before me. She is one of the smartest gentlest dogs I have ever
>> met. The sign on the cage at the pound where I got her at 8 months old
>> said, "great with children, can't housetrain". When I first went to pet
>> her she dropped to the floor in a submissive position and wet herself.
>> More like don't know how to housetrain. I would love to meet them, just
>> once.
>
> I have seen german shepherds and terriers wet themselves when they get
> excited or frightened. It does not necessarily mean abuse. Some dogs
> are just frightened by strangers. It takes a lot of TLC to bring them
> out of their shells.
>
> I had a border collie as a kid. One of the smartest gentlest dogs I
> have ever met =) Very sensitive though, if you said "out" a bit loudly
> the tail would go between the legs and she would crawl out. Herding
> came instinctively to her without ever being taught.
>
> Riley looks like a labrador/ridgeback cross to me.

The best dog I ever knew was a German Shepherd.
One of the stupidest was also a Shepherd. Both purebreds..thats just the way
it was man. We got both from the same reputable breeder ten years apart.

Jim

Jim

Lurker
December 3rd 04, 02:55 AM
T wrote:
> Lurker > wrote in message >...
>
>>Sammy on the other hand is half sheltie (see barky) half American eskimo
>>just like someone had guessed earlier. I would love to meet the folx who
>>had her before me. She is one of the smartest gentlest dogs I have ever
>>met. The sign on the cage at the pound where I got her at 8 months old
>>said, "great with children, can't housetrain". When I first went to pet
>>her she dropped to the floor in a submissive position and wet herself.
>>More like don't know how to housetrain. I would love to meet them, just
>>once.
>

> I have seen german shepherds and terriers wet themselves when they get
> excited or frightened. It does not necessarily mean abuse. Some dogs
> are just frightened by strangers. It takes a lot of TLC to bring them
> out of their shells.
>
> I had a border collie as a kid. One of the smartest gentlest dogs I
> have ever met =) Very sensitive though, if you said "out" a bit loudly
> the tail would go between the legs and she would crawl out. Herding
> came instinctively to her without ever being taught.

Sounds very familiar. To this day Sammy is quite sensitive. She also
used to try to herd flocks of seaguls on campus. She would start out in
big elipses and work her way back and forth getting closer and closer
until they would fly off.

> Riley looks like a labrador/ridgeback cross to me.

The vet seems to think he sees lab in her. Ridgeback? I will have to
look that up.

Lurker

December 6th 04, 01:25 AM
Lurker > wrote in message >...
> The vet seems to think he sees lab in her. Ridgeback? I will have to
> look that up.
>
> Lurker

http://rrcus.org
http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/rhodrdge.cfm

December 6th 04, 01:33 AM
Lurker > wrote in message >...
> The vet seems to think he sees lab in her. Ridgeback? I will have to
> look that up.
>
> Lurker

Oh and btw, ridgebacks hate water.

David Cohen
December 6th 04, 02:06 AM
"T" > wrote
> Lurker > wrote
>> The vet seems to think he sees lab in her. Ridgeback? I will have to
>> look that up.

> Oh and btw, ridgebacks hate water.

So, beer, votka, and scotch?

Sounds like a John Hanson kind of canine :)

David