PDA

View Full Version : Google Groups Beta


bc
December 2nd 04, 06:11 AM
I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning
it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really fast
- there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
Hmmm. This is kind of fun.

- bc

bc
December 2nd 04, 06:59 AM
Awe damn. I can't figure out how to snip text with beta when replying.
Major oversight. There's got to be a way.

- bc

aj
December 2nd 04, 07:07 AM
On 2004-12-02, bc > wrote:
> Awe damn. I can't figure out how to snip text with beta when replying.
> Major oversight. There's got to be a way.
>
> - bc
>

Groups2 has been evolving over the last few months. You might wanna
email them about that.

--
-aj

larry
December 2nd 04, 04:00 PM
"aj" > wrote in message
...
> On 2004-12-02, bc > wrote:
>> Awe damn. I can't figure out how to snip text with beta when replying.
>> Major oversight. There's got to be a way.
>>
>
> Groups2 has been evolving over the last few months. You might wanna
> email them about that.
>
I had performed a search a couple weeks ago using Google on
misc.fitness.weights and was reading through thousands of posts in my free
time. It was great reading posts throughout the years. My search was "funny
gym". I was like 60 or 70 pages deep into it and would just bookmark my page
when done. This new beta groups totally messed that up... But for free I
guess I can't complain to much. You can't search by date anymore and that
was my favorite feature...

David Cohen
December 2nd 04, 05:38 PM
"bc" > wrote
> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning
> it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really fast
> - there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
> Hmmm. This is kind of fun.

That was better than the old Google groups. An interesting snippet from the
site:

Last month's top posters
29
24
16
14
14
13
11
10
9
8

All time top posters
17690
15870
11308
9316
9288
9080
7616
7351
7190
6557


I'll never catch Lyle, Watson, or John, but I should surpass Pat Arnold
soon. Who is gsty...? Schuh, Roberts, and Dorf are rare now, and Whitney
must have gotten a life (or a good woman). Mike Lane's decision to use so
many different screen names eliminates him from the competition.

David

aj
December 2nd 04, 07:05 PM
On 2004-12-02, David Cohen > wrote:
>
> "bc" > wrote
>> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
>> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning
>> it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really fast
>> - there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
>> Hmmm. This is kind of fun.
>
> That was better than the old Google groups. An interesting snippet from the
> site:
>
> Last month's top posters
> 29
> 24
> 16
> 14
> 14
> 13
> 11
> 10
> 9
> 8
>
> All time top posters
> 17690
> 15870
> 11308
> 9316
> 9288
> 9080
> 7616
> 7351
> 7190
> 6557
>
>
> I'll never catch Lyle, Watson, or John, but I should surpass Pat Arnold
> soon. Who is gsty...? Schuh, Roberts, and Dorf are rare now, and Whitney
> must have gotten a life (or a good woman). Mike Lane's decision to use so
> many different screen names eliminates him from the competition.
>
> David

gsty must be "Gemma & Pat Styles".
whit name hops as well these days.

--
-aj

Sarah
December 2nd 04, 08:25 PM
Still no way to killfile authors you hate. I can't stand all the OT
posts about politics throughout usenet these days.

TheTortoise
December 2nd 04, 10:34 PM
bc wrote:
> Awe damn. I can't figure out how to snip text with beta when
replying.

<snip>

click "reply", click "preview", click "edit"

Tom Maho
December 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
bc wrote:
> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning
> it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really fast
> - there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
> Hmmm. This is kind of fun.
>

I hate it. I hope the original version continutes to be available in
some format. It seems to be taking the path of yahoo groups.

> - bc
>

Tom

User
December 3rd 04, 04:42 AM
> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning

I hate it. It can go to hell. It can go to hell and it can die.

Nature Boy
December 3rd 04, 08:21 PM
>new version popped up

Yes, I too was using Google when a new version just popped up and just
as quickly went away.

So, I created a new group. Now, I have discovered that this mess has
been here for a few months. You would think that they would have
gotten more of the bugs out of it by now.

The Beta Directory is a real mess. It does not correspond to the
categories selection when you are managing / created a new group. So,
I find trying to find my new group in the Beta Directory next to
impossible to do.

The other problem, is that nobody can see these new Beta groups unless
you go out of your way looking for them.
--
john gohde
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Natural-Health

John M. Williams
December 4th 04, 12:50 AM
Usenet Posting > wrote:
>
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>
>>"bc" > wrote
>>> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
>>> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning
>>> it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really fast
>>> - there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
>>> Hmmm. This is kind of fun.
>>
>>That was better than the old Google groups. An interesting snippet from the
>>site:
>>
>> Last month's top posters
>> 29
>> 24
>> 16
>> 14
>> 14
>> 13
>> 11
>> 10
>> 9
>> 8
>>
>> All time top posters
>> 17690
>> 15870
>> 11308
>> 9316
>> 9288
>> 9080
>> 7616
>> 7351
>> 7190
>> 6557
>>
>>
>>I'll never catch Lyle, Watson, or John, but I should surpass Pat Arnold
>>soon. Who is gsty...? Schuh, Roberts, and Dorf are rare now, and Whitney
>>must have gotten a life (or a good woman). Mike Lane's decision to use so
>>many different screen names eliminates him from the competition.
>
>I'm sure Williams could supply them all and then add them up.
>Personally I can't recall them all. There were probably about 6 I
>used in all the time I've posted to usenet. I'm not too happy about
>being near the top last month.

We know you're usually a bottom.

Jim
December 4th 04, 11:43 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
link.net...
>
> "bc" > wrote
>> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but just
>> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm learning
>> it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really fast
>> - there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
>> Hmmm. This is kind of fun.
>
> That was better than the old Google groups. An interesting snippet from
> the site:
>
> Last month's top posters
> 29
> 24
> 16
> 14
> 14
> 13
> 11
> 10
> 9
> 8
>
> All time top posters
> 17690
> 15870
> 11308
> 9316
> 9288
> 9080
> 7616
> 7351
> 7190
> 6557
>
>
> I'll never catch Lyle, Watson, or John, but I should surpass Pat Arnold
> soon. Who is gsty...? Schuh, Roberts, and Dorf are rare now, and Whitney
> must have gotten a life (or a good woman). Mike Lane's decision to use so
> many different screen names eliminates him from the competition.
>
> David

Whit changes his name everyday..he works for the government.

Jim

Tua Mater
December 5th 04, 05:50 AM
Usenet Posting > wrote in message
...
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 06:12:18 GMT, Usenet Posting
> > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:50:10 -0500, John M. Williams
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Usenet Posting > wrote:
> >>>
> >>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>"bc" > wrote
> >>>>> I've been using google lately to read mfw, painful as it is, but
just
> >>>>> tonight, a new version popped up. Google Groups2 Beta. I'm
learning
> >>>>> it as I go, but one major improvement seems to be that it's really
fast
> >>>>> - there's no multi-hour delay, just a few minutes.
> >>>>> Hmmm. This is kind of fun.
> >>>>
> >>>>That was better than the old Google groups. An interesting snippet
from the
> >>>>site:
> >>>>
> >>>> Last month's top posters
> >>>> 29
> >>>> 24
> >>>> 16
> >>>> 14
> >>>> 14
> >>>> 13
> >>>> 11
> >>>> 10
> >>>> 9
> >>>> 8
> >>>>
> >>>> All time top posters
> >>>> 17690
> >>>> 15870
> >>>> 11308
> >>>> 9316
> >>>> 9288
> >>>> 9080
> >>>> 7616
> >>>> 7351
> >>>> 7190
> >>>> 6557
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>I'll never catch Lyle, Watson, or John, but I should surpass Pat
Arnold
> >>>>soon. Who is gsty...?

gemma styles?

Schuh, Roberts, and Dorf are rare now, and Whitney
> >>>>must have gotten a life (or a good woman).

those are not mutually exclusive. but one does depend on the other

whit

Mike Lane's decision to use so
> >>>>many different screen names eliminates him from the competition.
> >>>
> >>>I'm sure Williams could supply them all and then add them up.
> >>>Personally I can't recall them all. There were probably about 6 I
> >>>used in all the time I've posted to usenet. I'm not too happy about
> >>>being near the top last month.
> >>
> >>We know you're usually a bottom.
> >
> >Isn't it a little out of step with your vision of yourself to be
> >purely a troll?
>
> Let me try again,
>
> Isn't this a little out of step with your vision of yourself to be not
> purely a troll?
>
> Still awkward.. 5 points available.
>
>
> --
> The pain is pretty overwhelming, prolly
> comparable only to childbirth or kidney stones.
> --Brian L.