PDA

View Full Version : Swimming: the stealthy ass-whooping

Dally
December 3rd 04, 02:24 PM
I started swimming a few weeks ago. I'm doing it so I can do the
half-mile leg of a mini-triatholon as well as to have a low-impact sport
as well as to hang out in a hot humid place during our cold dry winter.
I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.

Yesterday I got up to a half mile for the first time - steady swimming
for about half an hour. I stopped because, well, I felt like stopping.
I mean, it's kind of boring. I didn't THINK I stopped because I was
tired.

But afterward I was wiped out. And today I've got DOMS! What the hell?
Anyone else notice unexpected benefits from this seemingly innocuous
activity?

Dally

Peter Allen
December 3rd 04, 02:58 PM
"Dally" > wrote in message
> I started swimming a few weeks ago. I'm doing it so I can do the
> half-mile leg of a mini-triatholon as well as to have a low-impact sport
> as well as to hang out in a hot humid place during our cold dry winter.
> I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
> exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.

You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool. Then you're used
to noticing you're getting low on blood sugar because you lose concentration
and start sculling into the reeds / cycling on the verge. Which you won't
notice when you're about half-way hypnotised with boredom having spent the
last hour or so looking at the 24 identical off-white ceiling tiles and five
dark blue girders (I'm really incompetent at anything other than
backstroke). So you go until things start to cramp up a bit and you decide
you really can't be arsed to do two hours. Then you get out of the pool,
almost fall straight back in and have to sit by the side for quite a while
waiting for the black bits to recede, so you can go get sugar.

Swimming is what I do when I've managed to break myself so thoroughly I
can't do any of: rowing, cycling, elliptical, stairmaster.

It has all the bad things about cardio exercise, and very few of the good
things. But it is not as little work as it feels like.

Peter

Lee Michaels
December 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
"Peter Allen" > wrote

> It has all the bad things about cardio exercise, and very few of the good
> things. But it is not as little work as it feels like.

You do realize, to a hard core swimmer, you have just uttered absolute
heresy?

Jim Ranieri
December 3rd 04, 03:18 PM
"Peter Allen" > wrote in message

> You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool.

In 'merica, 28 degree water is too dang hard for swimming.

Lee Michaels
December 3rd 04, 03:29 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote

> "Peter Allen" > wrote in message
>
> > You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> > Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool.
>
> In 'merica, 28 degree water is too dang hard for swimming.

First, you cut a hole in the ice, then......

Dally
December 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
Peter Allen wrote:

> "Dally" > wrote:
>
>>I started swimming a few weeks ago. I'm doing it so I can do the
>>half-mile leg of a mini-triatholon as well as to have a low-impact sport
>>as well as to hang out in a hot humid place during our cold dry winter.
>> I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
>>exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.
>

> You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool. Then you're used
> to noticing you're getting low on blood sugar because you lose concentration
> and start sculling into the reeds / cycling on the verge. Which you won't
> notice when you're about half-way hypnotised with boredom having spent the
> last hour or so looking at the 24 identical off-white ceiling tiles and five
> dark blue girders (I'm really incompetent at anything other than
> backstroke). So you go until things start to cramp up a bit and you decide
> you really can't be arsed to do two hours. Then you get out of the pool,
> almost fall straight back in and have to sit by the side for quite a while
> waiting for the black bits to recede, so you can go get sugar.
>
> Swimming is what I do when I've managed to break myself so thoroughly I
> can't do any of: rowing, cycling, elliptical, stairmaster.
>
> It has all the bad things about cardio exercise, and very few of the good
> things. But it is not as little work as it feels like.

Yup, it sounds like you've got the same experience I have. I started
swimming when I sprained my ankle and it was the final blow (so to
speak) to my running this season.

No MP3 player, no conversation, no scenery... this is boring as hell.
I've been trying to break it into sets of laps where I follow a specific
sequence - front crawl, elementary backstroke, breast stroke, front
crawl, side stroke... that's five laps. I can do four sets of those
plus a warm-up lap (?) and a cooldown lap (?). (Warming up and cooling
down are nonsensical concepts in the pool, but I'm aiming for 22 laps.)

Changing it up every lap helps me pass the time as well as work on
adding in intensity - I'm trying for more front crawls. I'm not good
enough yet to do front crawl for more than two laps in a row.

As boring as it is, I can put up with it if it turns out to be doing me
some good. I feel nicely sore today in odd places.

But another bad thing about swimming is that I'm ravenously hungry
afterwards. That never happens when I go running. I'm still trying to
burn 5 more pounds of lard from my thighs - exercise that makes me want
to eat isn't my first choice.

Dally

Denis
December 3rd 04, 08:02 PM
Dally > wrote in message >...
> I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
> exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.

Next time do a few all out 25 yard/meter intervals and report back
about ridiculousness of swimming as exrecise.

> But afterward I was wiped out. And today I've got DOMS! What the hell?
> Anyone else notice unexpected benefits from this seemingly innocuous
> activity?

Ever seen good swimmers? You think their shoulders come from just
genetics?

For the lower body "pump" swim a few laps (fast) with your hands on a
board, so that your propulsion comes from banging the water with your
feet.

Denis

Mick R.
December 3rd 04, 08:49 PM
"Dally" > wrote in message
> Peter Allen wrote:
>
> > "Dally" > wrote:
> >
> >>I started swimming a few weeks ago. I'm doing it so I can do the
> >>half-mile leg of a mini-triatholon as well as to have a low-impact sport
> >>as well as to hang out in a hot humid place during our cold dry winter.
> >> I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
> >>exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.
> >

> > You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> > Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool. Then you're
used
> > to noticing you're getting low on blood sugar because you lose
concentration
> > and start sculling into the reeds / cycling on the verge. Which you
won't
> > notice when you're about half-way hypnotised with boredom having spent
the
> > last hour or so looking at the 24 identical off-white ceiling tiles and
five
> > dark blue girders (I'm really incompetent at anything other than
> > backstroke). So you go until things start to cramp up a bit and you
decide
> > you really can't be arsed to do two hours. Then you get out of the pool,
> > almost fall straight back in and have to sit by the side for quite a
while
> > waiting for the black bits to recede, so you can go get sugar.
> >
> > Swimming is what I do when I've managed to break myself so thoroughly I
> > can't do any of: rowing, cycling, elliptical, stairmaster.
> >
> > It has all the bad things about cardio exercise, and very few of the
good
> > things. But it is not as little work as it feels like.
>
> Yup, it sounds like you've got the same experience I have. I started
> swimming when I sprained my ankle and it was the final blow (so to
> speak) to my running this season.
>
> No MP3 player, no conversation, no scenery... this is boring as hell.
> I've been trying to break it into sets of laps where I follow a specific
> sequence - front crawl, elementary backstroke, breast stroke, front
> crawl, side stroke... that's five laps. I can do four sets of those
> plus a warm-up lap (?) and a cooldown lap (?). (Warming up and cooling
> down are nonsensical concepts in the pool, but I'm aiming for 22 laps.)
>
> Changing it up every lap helps me pass the time as well as work on
> adding in intensity - I'm trying for more front crawls. I'm not good
> enough yet to do front crawl for more than two laps in a row.
>
> As boring as it is, I can put up with it if it turns out to be doing me
> some good. I feel nicely sore today in odd places.
>
> But another bad thing about swimming is that I'm ravenously hungry
> afterwards. That never happens when I go running. I'm still trying to
> burn 5 more pounds of lard from my thighs - exercise that makes me want
> to eat isn't my first choice.

If you can contain the cravings it's possibly not a bad option. Maybe just
grab a little tuna to keep the dogs at bay without overdoing it, you know
ptotein - feel fuller blah blah blah - and don't forget to drink. You're
still using water even though you're not sweating.

Mick R.
> Dally

Peter Allen
December 3rd 04, 10:02 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message

> "Peter Allen" > wrote
> >
> > It has all the bad things about cardio exercise, and very few of the
good
> > things. But it is not as little work as it feels like.
> >

> You do realize, to a hard core swimmer, you have just uttered absolute
> heresy?

Yes. But a hard core swimmer will go about three times as fast as I do, so
they'll be happy in the knowledge that they can kick my ass massively.

Peter

Peter Allen
December 3rd 04, 10:15 PM
"Dally" > wrote in message
> Peter Allen wrote:
>
> > "Dally" > wrote:
> >
> >>I started swimming a few weeks ago. I'm doing it so I can do the
> >>half-mile leg of a mini-triatholon as well as to have a low-impact sport
> >>as well as to hang out in a hot humid place during our cold dry winter.
> >> I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
> >>exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.
> >

> > You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> > Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool. Then you're
used
> > to noticing you're getting low on blood sugar because you lose
concentration
> > and start sculling into the reeds / cycling on the verge. Which you
won't
> > notice when you're about half-way hypnotised with boredom having spent
the
> > last hour or so looking at the 24 identical off-white ceiling tiles and
five
> > dark blue girders (I'm really incompetent at anything other than
> > backstroke). So you go until things start to cramp up a bit and you
decide
> > you really can't be arsed to do two hours. Then you get out of the pool,
> > almost fall straight back in and have to sit by the side for quite a
while
> > waiting for the black bits to recede, so you can go get sugar.
> >
> > Swimming is what I do when I've managed to break myself so thoroughly I
> > can't do any of: rowing, cycling, elliptical, stairmaster.
> >
> > It has all the bad things about cardio exercise, and very few of the
good
> > things. But it is not as little work as it feels like.
>
> Yup, it sounds like you've got the same experience I have. I started
> swimming when I sprained my ankle and it was the final blow (so to
> speak) to my running this season.
>
> No MP3 player, no conversation, no scenery... this is boring as hell.
> I've been trying to break it into sets of laps where I follow a specific
> sequence - front crawl, elementary backstroke, breast stroke, front
> crawl, side stroke... that's five laps.

For me, that would be
splash the crap out of everyone while being overtaken by little old lady in
the next lane
try to do arms backstroke for a bit, give up as my shoulders don't like it
and go back to legs only, which I can sort of do
amuse everyone by breathing at the wrong time and getting a lungful of water
splash again
god knows, probably end up going round in circles.

The fact that you can actually do those strokes makes you a better swimmer
than I am (and the fact that you can do about the same distance as I can in
half an hour, although my power output is probably a fair bit higher than
yours).

> I can do four sets of those
> plus a warm-up lap (?) and a cooldown lap (?). (Warming up and cooling
> down are nonsensical concepts in the pool, but I'm aiming for 22 laps.)

'Warming up' is not really about getting warm. It's about getting your body
ready to do hard work - increased blood flow to the muscles involved, get
the heart rate up and a bit of lactic acid in the system so the body's
already working to clear it on the start line. Otherwise you're going fine
for the first thirty seconds or so, then over the next thirty as you start
to rely on aerobic power more you suddenly find you're making lactic acid
faster than you should be (insufficient blood supply) and not clearing it as
fast as you should be. And you blow, badly. This is why even if you are
doing a race on a hot day in summer where you feel warmer than you want to
be just sitting in the shade you should warm up. 'Cooling down' is about
keeping blood flowing to clear the crap out of your muscles that's been
produced while you were working.

Peter

Tua Mater
December 5th 04, 06:04 AM
Denis > wrote in message
> Dally > wrote in message
> > I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
> > exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.

no sweat? you do sweat. in the water. duh

swimmers can lose signficant weight in a long swim. from sweating

whit

> Next time do a few all out 25 yard/meter intervals and report back
> about ridiculousness of swimming as exrecise.
>
> > But afterward I was wiped out. And today I've got DOMS! What the hell?
> > Anyone else notice unexpected benefits from this seemingly innocuous
> > activity?
>
> Ever seen good swimmers? You think their shoulders come from just
> genetics?
>
> For the lower body "pump" swim a few laps (fast) with your hands on a
> board, so that your propulsion comes from banging the water with your
> feet.
>
> Denis

Helgi Briem
December 6th 04, 11:47 AM
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:18:17 -0600, "Jim Ranieri"
> wrote:

>"Peter Allen" > wrote in message
>
>> You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
>> Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool.
>
>In 'merica, 28 degree water is too dang hard for swimming.

But that's only because you're all stuck in the 17th century,
measurement units wise. And your religion and politics of
course.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Jim Ranieri
December 6th 04, 01:01 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:18:17 -0600, "Jim Ranieri"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Peter Allen" > wrote in message
> >
> >> You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> >> Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool.
> >
> >In 'merica, 28 degree water is too dang hard for swimming.
> >
> But that's only because you're all stuck in the 17th century,
> measurement units wise. And your religion and politics of
> course.

et tu Helgi?

Dr_Dickie
December 6th 04, 05:18 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:18:17 -0600, "Jim Ranieri"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Peter Allen" > wrote in message
> >
> >> You're used to associating exercise with getting sweaty, getting hot.
> >> Neither of which is going to happen in a 28 degrees pool.
> >
> >In 'merica, 28 degree water is too dang hard for swimming.
> >
> But that's only because you're all stuck in the 17th century,
> measurement units wise. And your religion and politics of
> course.
>

> --
> Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Not to stir-up trouble (okay really I guess I do), but I always find a
statement like someone's religion is out of touch with the times to funny
beyond belief (yeah, pun intended).
IF it is the word of GOD, then it cannot be subject to societial whims. If a
religion does change with the times (due to societies changing attitudes),
then hells bells you are just making yourself feel good (not that there is
anything wrong with that).

tabber
December 6th 04, 10:00 PM
Anyone who thinks swimming is easy has never swum(word?) for exercise.
I'm a competitive swimmer and we swim 10,000 - 15,000 yard practices.
And stick to freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and fly, sidestroke
hardly does anything and takes too long. Start out swimming 50s 100s
and 200s in pyramid style( 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 100 free, 50
free) on interval of 1:00 per 50. Keep working this until you work
your intervals down to :45 then raise the lengths by 50.

For a reference point, an example of one of our sets would be 50 free,
100 free, 150 free up to 1000 and back on a :40 interval. Then
changing the stroke and interval too match: 50 fly, 100fly up to 500
fly and back.

tabber
December 6th 04, 10:02 PM
Anyone who thinks swimming is easy has never swum(word?) for exercise.
I'm a competitive swimmer and we swim 10,000 - 15,000 yard practices.
And stick to freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and fly, sidestroke
hardly does anything and takes too long. Start out swimming 50s 100s
and 200s in pyramid style( 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 100 free, 50
free) on interval of 1:00 per 50. Keep working this until you work
your intervals down to :45 then raise the lengths by 50.

For a reference point, an example of one of our sets would be 50 free,
100 free, 150 free up to 1000 and back on a :40 interval. Then
changing the stroke and interval too match: 50 fly, 100fly up to 500
fly and back.

Kevin J
December 7th 04, 04:38 PM
On 6 Dec 2004 14:00:39 -0800, "tabber" > wrote:

>Anyone who thinks swimming is easy has never swum(word?)

Yes. It's a word. A good one.

Aren't the irregular verbs great?

--
kj

Dally
December 7th 04, 05:27 PM
tabber wrote:

> Anyone who thinks swimming is easy has never swum(word?) for exercise.

Well, yes, that was sort of implied by me saying I've just started
swimming. By the way, swim/swam/swum makes more sense if you've ever
studied German. English is damn hard. (I'm trying to teach my
kindergarten-aged son to read and it's all come back to me how difficult
this is!)

> I'm a competitive swimmer and we swim 10,000 - 15,000 yard practices.
> And stick to freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and fly, sidestroke
> hardly does anything and takes too long. Start out swimming 50s 100s
> and 200s in pyramid style( 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 100 free, 50
> free) on interval of 1:00 per 50. Keep working this until you work
> your intervals down to :45 then raise the lengths by 50.

This is almost a foreign language to me. What does it mean to pyramid
50 free 100 free 200 free? I mean, doesn't that just work out to doing
the same thing for 50+100+200? What differentiates the laps?

By 50's 100s and 200s do you mean yards? I don't think in that unit.
Our pool is 44 laps for a mile, which means 120 feet for a lap (round
trip) so a length (half a lap) is 20 yards. Is your pool 25 yards wide?
Is that some sort of regulation size? I'd have to say that 50 yards
would be a pretty rotten unit for me. I measure in laps.

What does "interval of 1:00 per 50" mean? 1 minute laps? Do short
women with tendonitis in their shoulders swim at the same speed as
everyone else?

Does "freestyle" mean front crawl?

> For a reference point, an example of one of our sets would be 50 free,
> 100 free, 150 free up to 1000 and back on a :40 interval. Then
> changing the stroke and interval too match: 50 fly, 100fly up to 500
> fly and back.

Sorry, I don't know what a fly is. Do you mean the butterfly stroke? I
play with that one sometimes just for fun, but look mostly like an
epileptic dolphin when I try it. It's also not the best way to treat my
sore shoulder.

I hope to be well-versed enough in this jargon so that I can understand
what you said someday!

Dally

Dally
December 7th 04, 05:28 PM
Tua Mater wrote:

> Denis > wrote in message
>
>>Dally > wrote in message

>>> I wasn't doing it to get fit - it seems like a ridiculous way to get
>>>exercise - no sweat, no pounding, no intensity.
>>

> no sweat? you do sweat. in the water. duh
>
> swimmers can lose signficant weight in a long swim. from sweating

Gross. Like it wasn't bad enough that this same pool is used to train
babies and toddlers.

Oh, God, I wish I hadn't just thought of that.

Dally (supposed to go swimming tonight)

Axel of the North!
December 8th 04, 06:08 AM
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:28:07 -0500, Dally > wrote:

>Tua Mater wrote:

>> no sweat? you do sweat. in the water. duh
>>
>> swimmers can lose signficant weight in a long swim. from sweating
>
>Gross. Like it wasn't bad enough that this same pool is used to train
>babies and toddlers.
>
>Oh, God, I wish I hadn't just thought of that.
>
>Dally (supposed to go swimming tonight)

i think a lot of pools must be disgusting, if not freshly cleaned. i'm
sure by the facts they must be disgusting.

this was one of those newsgroups where someone would post a link to
some site that gave us an idea of what kind of fluids would likely be
in a typical pool.

but apparently its appropriate for foreskin-killer Wendy-Dally. and i
can agree with that.

tabber
December 10th 04, 07:15 PM
I have been in a couple pools where human excrement was found, they
just fished it out of the water and we continued swimming. Once they
shocked the pool right before a practice and all the female swimmer had
their swimcaps melted to their heads. So, no, a lot of pools aren't
clean.

Denis
December 11th 04, 04:16 PM
"tabber" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Anyone who thinks swimming is easy has never swum(word?) for exercise.
> I'm a competitive swimmer and we swim 10,000 - 15,000 yard practices.
> And stick to freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and fly, sidestroke
> hardly does anything and takes too long. Start out swimming 50s 100s
> and 200s in pyramid style( 50 free, 100 free, 200 free, 100 free, 50
> free) on interval of 1:00 per 50. Keep working this until you work
> your intervals down to :45 then raise the lengths by 50.
>
> For a reference point, an example of one of our sets would be 50 free,
> 100 free, 150 free up to 1000 and back on a :40 interval. Then
> changing the stroke and interval too match: 50 fly, 100fly up to 500
> fly and back.

brutal work!