PDA

View Full Version : Sore Muscles

Martin Thompson
December 3rd 04, 03:24 PM
I went back to the gym on Wednesday, after a few weeks off due to a
pesky cold that I couldn't seem to shift. I set the weights down by
about 20% overall to allow for that, and it seemed to go all right.

I did some stretches during my cool-down phase as usual. However, here
it is Friday, and my muscles are still really stiff and aching. Usually,
they don't bother me much at all after exercise, but I suppose after the
long break it was a bit of a surprise for them. :-) Anyway, I am due
back at the gym tomorrow. My question is, should I go, or should I wait
until the soreness goes, or at least dies down a significant amount?
--
Martin Thompson (use "martin" not "bin")
London, UK Home Page: http://www.tucana.demon.co.uk

"Everything I do and say with anyone makes a difference." Gita Bellin

gman99
December 3rd 04, 03:35 PM
Martin Thompson > wrote:
> I went back to the gym on Wednesday, after a few weeks off due to a
> pesky cold that I couldn't seem to shift. I set the weights down by
> about 20% overall to allow for that, and it seemed to go all right.
>
> I did some stretches during my cool-down phase as usual. However, here
> it is Friday, and my muscles are still really stiff and aching. Usually,
> they don't bother me much at all after exercise, but I suppose after the
> long break it was a bit of a surprise for them. :-) Anyway, I am due
> back at the gym tomorrow. My question is, should I go, or should I wait
> until the soreness goes, or at least dies down a significant amount?

I find that the soreness / stiffness disappears quickly, working out (as
opposed to resting) gets rid of the stiffness more quickly for me.

frank
December 3rd 04, 08:18 PM
the soreness indicates you had an effective workout, although mostly due to
the layoff. in spite of the discomfort, you should not delay, but go
lighter with a few more reps until the soreness passes. activity is better.

"Martin Thompson" > wrote in message
>I went back to the gym on Wednesday, after a few weeks off due to a
> pesky cold that I couldn't seem to shift. I set the weights down by
> about 20% overall to allow for that, and it seemed to go all right.
>
> I did some stretches during my cool-down phase as usual. However, here
> it is Friday, and my muscles are still really stiff and aching. Usually,
> they don't bother me much at all after exercise, but I suppose after the
> long break it was a bit of a surprise for them. :-) Anyway, I am due
> back at the gym tomorrow. My question is, should I go, or should I wait
> until the soreness goes, or at least dies down a significant amount?
> --
> Martin Thompson (use "martin" not "bin")
> London, UK Home Page: http://www.tucana.demon.co.uk
> Diet Success:
> http://www.tucana.demon.co.uk/diet.htm
> Mobile Phone Ring Tones: http://www.ringamoby.com
>
> "Everything I do and say with anyone makes a difference." Gita Bellin

Peter Allen
December 3rd 04, 09:53 PM
"Martin Thompson" > wrote in message
> I went back to the gym on Wednesday, after a few weeks off due to a
> pesky cold that I couldn't seem to shift. I set the weights down by
> about 20% overall to allow for that, and it seemed to go all right.
>
> I did some stretches during my cool-down phase as usual. However, here
> it is Friday, and my muscles are still really stiff and aching. Usually,
> they don't bother me much at all after exercise, but I suppose after the
> long break it was a bit of a surprise for them. :-) Anyway, I am due
> back at the gym tomorrow. My question is, should I go, or should I wait
> until the soreness goes, or at least dies down a significant amount?

I'd go. Maybe do some light cardio stuff first, that seems to help for me.
It'll hurt more than it should for a few sessions, then back to normal.

Peter

Martin Thompson
December 3rd 04, 10:23 PM
12:18:39 Fri, 3 Dec 2004misc.fitness.weights
frank at frank > writes:
>the soreness indicates you had an effective workout, although mostly due to
>the layoff. in spite of the discomfort, you should not delay, but go
>lighter with a few more reps until the soreness passes. activity is better.

OK... thanks to those of you who have replied. Off to the gym it is,
then!