PDA

View Full Version : Plateaus, overtraining? Advice Pls

Kat
December 4th 04, 09:54 PM
Ok, here's my stat's: 5'3", 130 lbs., age 40, been working out hard
several years. I work out 5 days a week 2 hours a day (1/2 cardio, 1/2
weights alternating upper/lower body). I also walk daily.

I am the endomorphic type with a naturally curvy figure. I am much
more toned and muscular than I once was, but can't get below 130 lbs.
I still have some stubborn areas in lower body. I do 100-150 situps a
day and some ab work, but I feel my stomach is not very well defined.

I do not diet, but I don't overeat. I avoid sweets and try to eat
sensibly, but I feel that I should be seeing more results. I seem to
have a substantial layer of fat on top of muscle, what is going on? I am
not cut at all. I have increased # reps gradually from 12 to 20 on
everything, with lighter weight. I have been told that this should give me
more definition, but I don't notice a change.

I'm working out so hard that I am starting to feel burned out. I have been
getting sore knees and hips and generally feeling tired. I used to
throw running and spinning classes into the mix, but lately I'm Just
getting too sore.

I wonder if I'm heading into the overtraining zone. It is obvious that I'm
doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Kat

geek_girl
December 4th 04, 11:02 PM
In > Kat wrote:
> Ok, here's my stat's: 5'3", 130 lbs., age 40, been working out hard
> several years. I work out 5 days a week 2 hours a day (1/2 cardio, 1/2
> weights alternating upper/lower body). I also walk daily.
>
> I am the endomorphic type with a naturally curvy figure. I am much
> more toned and muscular than I once was, but can't get below 130 lbs.
> I still have some stubborn areas in lower body. I do 100-150 situps a
> day and some ab work, but I feel my stomach is not very well defined.
>
> I do not diet, but I don't overeat. I avoid sweets and try to eat
> sensibly, but I feel that I should be seeing more results. I seem to
> have a substantial layer of fat on top of muscle, what is going on? I
> am not cut at all. I have increased # reps gradually from 12 to 20 on
> everything, with lighter weight. I have been told that this should
> give me more definition, but I don't notice a change.
>
> I'm working out so hard that I am starting to feel burned out. I have
> been getting sore knees and hips and generally feeling tired. I used
> to throw running and spinning classes into the mix, but lately I'm
> Just getting too sore.
>
> I wonder if I'm heading into the overtraining zone. It is obvious that
> I'm doing something wrong.

Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
lift heavier.

HTH

kat
December 5th 04, 02:06 PM
geek_girl > wrote in message >...

> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
> lift heavier.
>
> HTH

**** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.

Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

Proton Soup
December 5th 04, 03:48 PM
On 5 Dec 2004 06:06:33 -0800, (kat) wrote:

>geek_girl > wrote in message >...
>

>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>> lift heavier.
>>
>> HTH
>
>**** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>
>Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
>trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

You're muscles are as long as they'll ever be. If you want to be
lean, just eat less. Situps aren't going to do it.

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Proton Soup
December 5th 04, 04:23 PM
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:48:57 -0600, Proton Soup >
wrote:

>On 5 Dec 2004 06:06:33 -0800, (kat) wrote:
>
>>geek_girl > wrote in message >...
>>

>>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>>> lift heavier.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>>**** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>>
>>Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
>>trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.
>
>You're muscles are as long as they'll ever be. If you want to be
>lean, just eat less. Situps aren't going to do it.

Gah, I meant "Your".
-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Mick R.
December 5th 04, 07:23 PM
"kat" > wrote in message
om...
> geek_girl > wrote in message
>

> > Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
> > lift heavier.
> >
> > HTH
>
> **** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>
> Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
> trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

Kat,

Unless you're doing 'roids or are a genetic anomoly you will NOT bulk up.
You just don't have the testosterone to do the job. You would also, even if
you do have the test, need to eat like a horse to gain huge amounts of bulk.
It doesn't just come out of thin air just coz you picked up something
heavier than that pink plastic covered dumbell.
Let me repeat the point. WOMEN DON'T BULK UP FROM JUST LIFTING HEAVY
WEIGHTS. For that matter most men don't either. Heavy weights WILL however
help you get stronger and leaner.

John M. Williams
December 5th 04, 07:38 PM
(kat) wrote:

>geek_girl > wrote:
>>
>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>> lift heavier.
>>
>> HTH
>
>**** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>
>Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
>trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

It's often difficult to tell the difference between trolls and those
who have been indoctrinated with myths, like the ones you just wrote.
Anyone who is afraid that heavy lifting "will bulk me up too much,"
and who insists on developing "long, lean muscle mass" has been
indoctrinated by people who don't understand muscular anatomy and
physiology, and who put their faith in trendy crap that has no support
in science.

FWIW, the more-reps-less-weight-gives-more-definition myth is perhaps
the most pervasive one out there. That routine will give you more
endurance; it won't do **** for definition. Nevertheless, that myth
has been repeated for decades, and people continue to believe it
because nobody ever taught them any better. In MFW, many of us read
the actual studies rather than just repeating the myths that circulate
incessantly in the gym.

August Pamplona
December 5th 04, 11:32 PM
In om,
kat > typed:
> geek_girl > wrote in message
>

>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>> lift heavier.
>>
>> HTH
>
> **** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>
> Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
> trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

So much for "remarkably subtle".

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
Proud member of the reality-based community.
The address in this message's 'From' field, in accordance with
individual.net's TOS, is real. However, almost all messages
reaching this address are deleted without human intervention.
In other words, if you e-mail me there, I will not receive your message.

To make sure that e-mail messages actually reach me,
make sure that my e-mail address is not hot.

geek_girl
December 6th 04, 02:22 AM
In > kat wrote:
> geek_girl > wrote in message news:
>

>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>> lift heavier.
>>
>> HTH
>
> **** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.

Because in one short post, you hit at least the top five fitness myths.
**** you too BTW.

> Besides, you are wrong.

No, I'm not. By eating less and lifting heavier you will lose fat and
maintain muscle, which will give you the definition you want.

> Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much.

Then perhaps you should stop taking all those steroids. And stop eating
so much.

> I'm trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

Your muscles are as long as they'll ever get, and by definition, all
muscle is lean.

David Cohen
December 6th 04, 02:38 AM
"geek_girl" > wrote
> kat wrote:
>> geek_girl > wrote
>>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>>> lift heavier.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>> **** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>
> Because in one short post, you hit at least the top five fitness myths.
> **** you too BTW.
>
>> Besides, you are wrong.
>
> No, I'm not. By eating less and lifting heavier you will lose fat and
> maintain muscle, which will give you the definition you want.
>
>> Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much.
>
> Then perhaps you should stop taking all those steroids. And stop eating
> so much.
>
>> I'm trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.
>
> Your muscles are as long as they'll ever get, and by definition, all
> muscle is lean.

Dear Kat,

Sarah Jane is correct, you are incorrect.

Say you're sorry, post naked jpegs, and I'll forgive you.

David

Helgi Briem
December 6th 04, 12:18 PM
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:54:40 GMT, Kat > wrote:

>I am the endomorphic type with a naturally curvy figure. I am much
>more toned and muscular than I once was, but can't get below 130 lbs.
>I still have some stubborn areas in lower body. I do 100-150 situps a
>day and some ab work,

Why do you do that?

>but I feel my stomach is not very well defined.

How do you think doing lots of situps is going to help
with that?

Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

You cannot spot-reduce. To lose fat, you need to eat less
than you burn.

>I do not diet, but I don't overeat. I avoid sweets and try to eat
>sensibly, but I feel that I should be seeing more results. I seem to
>have a substantial layer of fat on top of muscle, what is going on? I am
>not cut at all.

Cutting is a matter of calories in versus calories out, not
ab work.

>I have increased # reps gradually from 12 to 20 on
>everything, with lighter weight. I have been told that this should give me
>more definition, but I don't notice a change.

Not surprising. Rep number doesn't work that way. To
get stronger abs, use more weight and fewer reps. To get
more defined abs, eat less.

>I'm working out so hard that I am starting to feel burned out. I have been
>getting sore knees and hips and generally feeling tired. I used to
>throw running and spinning classes into the mix, but lately I'm Just
>getting too sore.

Yes. Lift weights to maintain your lean body mass and eat
less.

>I wonder if I'm heading into the overtraining zone. It is obvious that I'm
>doing something wrong.

Yes.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Helgi Briem
December 6th 04, 12:20 PM
On 5 Dec 2004 06:06:33 -0800, (kat) wrote:

>Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much.

Why do you think that will happen? Are you on steroids?

> I'm trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.

How do you think that's going to happen? Do you
have a special "patented muscle lengthening machine"?

Muscles can get bigger, but it takes a long time and lots of very
hard work for women. It doesn't happen by accident.

Read http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Lucas Buck
December 12th 04, 07:31 AM
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:48:57 -0600, Proton Soup > wrote:

>On 5 Dec 2004 06:06:33 -0800, (kat) wrote:
>
>>geek_girl > wrote in message >...
>>

>>> Please be a remarkably subtle troll. If you're not, then eat less and
>>> lift heavier.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>>**** you!! Why am I a ****ing troll? Whatever.
>>
>>Besides, you are wrong. Lifting heavier will bulk me up too much. I'm
>>trying for long, lean muscle mass, not bulk.
>
>You're muscles are as long as they'll ever be. If you want to be
>lean, just eat less. Situps aren't going to do it.

I think SJ's troll diagnosis was spot-on.