PDA

View Full Version : How much polyunsatured fat should a person ideally consume?

December 8th 04, 09:38 AM
I was wondering what the most current research is on the total amount
of polyunsatured fat one should ideally consume in their diet? I have
always just guessed that 15% of total intake should be saturated,
another 15% should be monounsatured, and the remainder should be
polyunsatured (consisting of a 1:1 ratio of omega-3 and omega-6). I
was curious what everyone here thinks of this approach and whether or
not the research suggests that a smaller/larger percentage should be
consumed.

Swann

Dr_Dickie
December 8th 04, 12:39 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I was wondering what the most current research is on the total amount
> of polyunsatured fat one should ideally consume in their diet? I have
> always just guessed that 15% of total intake should be saturated,
> another 15% should be monounsatured, and the remainder should be
> polyunsatured (consisting of a 1:1 ratio of omega-3 and omega-6). I
> was curious what everyone here thinks of this approach and whether or
> not the research suggests that a smaller/larger percentage should be
> consumed.
>
> Swann

Some research sprinkled with guesses (appropriate ones IMHO) say that we
evolved genes to handle about a 21% energy intake from fats (see Eaton et
al. AM J Med 1988; 84: 739-49).
Of those fats about a 1.41 ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fats.
Now, not all saturated fats are the same, so be careful. Longer chain (18:0
and such) are not as bad as short chain (14:0 and 16:0) --at least as far as
cholesterol levels are concerned. Of those polys, you want to keep your w6
to w3 ratio to about 2 or 1, and keep away from trans--that means anything
that says, "partially hydrogenated ....". There is a good paper that sums
up some of the latest stuff in Simopoulos, A. P. Eur Heart J. (2001) 3
(supplement D), D8-D21.
Ballpark is probablly good enough. Don't kill yourself worry about it too
much.

December 13th 04, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the great information! Do you have any guesses about the
best quantity of monounsatured fat to consume? I usually for for abot
15-20% of my intake. And one other question: What is the the full
title of the journal " A. P. Eur Heart"? I cannot find it in the
library using the abbreviated version.

Thanks again,
Swan

Dr_Dickie
December 13th 04, 05:24 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks for the great information! Do you have any guesses about the
> best quantity of monounsatured fat to consume? I usually for for abot
> 15-20% of my intake. And one other question: What is the the full
> title of the journal " A. P. Eur Heart"? I cannot find it in the
> library using the abbreviated version.
>
> Thanks again,
> Swan

Sorry, the author's name is A.P. Simopoulos, the journal is European Heart
Journal Supplements

As far as the amount of monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA), in the
mediterrean countries that are often cited as benifiting from high MUFA,
their intakes are about 50% (w/w) of their dietary FA intake--this is about
12-15% of dietary energy intake--(according to Williams and Roche in the
book Structured and modified lipids (edited by Frank D. Gunstone)).
Make no mistake though, these folks no doubt benifit from much more than
just MUFA intake, but apparently they do get some benifit from this intake
level.

If you are taking in only 15% MUFA's, is the rest from saturated fatty
acids?

December 14th 04, 03:32 AM
When I last attempted to put together a diet, I assumed (based totally
on intuition) that a proper breakdown would be 15% MUFAs, 15%
saturated, and 70% from PUFAs, with an 1:1 omega-3 and omega-6 balance.
The PUFA number is so high because of all the favorable material I was
reading at the time regarding omega-3's. I quickly found that actually
achieving that target was not possible because of the large amount of
MUFAs in even the richest sources of omega-3's. Increasing the PUFAs
by consuming nuts, oils, and seeds always increased the MUFAs by an
even larger amount. So it does not surprise me the appropriate
percentage of MUFAs is much higher than just 15%.

I think I will try to consume between 20-30% of my daily intake as fats
with the following breakdown (opnions?):

15% long-chain saturated fat
50% monounsaturated fat.
35% polyunsaturated fat with an 1:1 omega-3/omega-6 ratio and 1.5g DHA
and 1.5g EPA.

You make a good point about not stressing out too much about the
breakdown; I have certainly made that mistake in the past (while using
the wrong numbers). Good to have some loose guidelines, though.
Thanks again for the help.

Swann