PDA

View Full Version : Aaargghh! Conflicting caffeine!!

Jezz
August 23rd 03, 12:44 PM
I have been told by one of my lecturers (and read in various places) that
caffeine metabolism causes the body to release glucose into the blood
stream, which causes an insulin reaction, and in a textbook for another
subject I have read that caffeine metabolism causes the body to release into
the bloodstream meaning that the body will use the fat preferentially
instead of carbohydrate for fuel.....I also am aware that caffeine is a much
touted supplement(ECA stacks and all that)... any scientifically minded
types able to direct me to a reliable site/resource/train of thought so I
can settle my opinion on caffeine once and for all?? Please??My grasp of
anatomy and physiology is too primative as yet for me to have a solid view
either way... I am already in the process of finding a more reliable
educational institution...
TIA
Jez

Jezz
August 24th 03, 10:02 AM
"Adam Lipschultz" > wrote in message
.. .
> I didn't take too much chemistry, but I believe both of the sources may be
> correct. Something can raise your insulin levels and still be metabolized
> into your bloodstream.
>

> "Jezz" > wrote in message
> > I have been told by one of my lecturers (and read in various places)
that
> > caffeine metabolism causes the body to release glucose into the blood
> > stream, which causes an insulin reaction, and in a textbook for another
> > subject I have read that caffeine metabolism causes the body to release
> into
> > the bloodstream>
<snip for clarification>
Sorry, this is supposed to say "releases fat into the bloodstream" ( seemed
to have lost the word "fat " somewhere....hmmm)so you see, I am having
trouble with the concept of caffiene both promoting the release of fat AND
carbohydrate into the bloodstream ....I believe it should be one or the
other.....
Jez

Ron Ritzman
August 26th 03, 01:18 PM
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:44:52 +1000, "Jezz" > wrote:

>I have been told by one of my lecturers (and read in various places) that
>caffeine metabolism causes the body to release glucose into the blood
>stream, which causes an insulin reaction,

And of course insulin magically makes you fat.

--
Ron Ritzman
http://www.panix.com/~ritzlart

Ron Ritzman
August 26th 03, 01:30 PM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:02:48 +1000, "Jezz" > wrote:

>I am having
>trouble with the concept of caffiene both promoting the release of fat AND
>carbohydrate into the bloodstream ....I believe it should be one or the
>other.....

Don't know the exact details but for some reason the body reacts to
caffeine's adenosine blocking by releasing epinephrine which causes
the liver to release more glucose into the bloodstream in assumption
that the muscles need some extra "get the **** out of Dodge" power.
The idea is that this extra glucose is immediately used by the
muscles.

At the same time, the high catacholimine levels keep insulin from
shutting down lipolyses and promote the use of fat by tissues. This
saves the glucose for the brain and for the high anaerobic activity
needed to get your ass away from that angry bear.