PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day Push/Pull then Full routine.

Bill
December 23rd 04, 07:19 PM
I've been doing the same 2 day split routine for several months now and
while I like it, I think I'd like to switch it up with a bit more
cardio for specific sport reasons. My routine has been Mon-Push,
Tues-Pull, then repeat Thurs and Fri.

Anyone here tried say a Monday-Push, Tues-Pull, then Thurs-Push&Pull
routine?

I've tried the 3day full body workouts but find it takes a lot longer
in the gym and I tend to get connective tissue pains from overuse. I'm
finding better results with a bit more rest to the joints.

--
Bill

frank
December 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
i am 71, and started a push pull routine about 3 months ago with good
results. however, i do two routines a week (for recovery time). one is a
vertical 4 sets ea alternating between shoulder presses and pull downs, then
4 ea alternating between upright rows and dips and, last is lateral raises
and back flexing (for rhomboids). the other is a horizontal 4 sets ea
alternating between chest presses and lat pulls, then 4 ea alternating
between chest flies and reverse flies and, last is 4 ea stiff arm pullovers
and straight arm upright raises (forward). that is it for upper body except
that i have an ab day where i also do reverse situps. work your legs and
arms in on other days (arms preferable when you will have at least a day off
afterwards). a main objective is recovery time because you work so many
other muscles in every excercise. my cardio is morning jogs three times a
week. hope this is helpful.

"Bill" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've been doing the same 2 day split routine for several months now and
> while I like it, I think I'd like to switch it up with a bit more
> cardio for specific sport reasons. My routine has been Mon-Push,
> Tues-Pull, then repeat Thurs and Fri.
>
> Anyone here tried say a Monday-Push, Tues-Pull, then Thurs-Push&Pull
> routine?
>
> I've tried the 3day full body workouts but find it takes a lot longer
> in the gym and I tend to get connective tissue pains from overuse. I'm
> finding better results with a bit more rest to the joints.
>
> --
> Bill

Blair P. Houghton
December 24th 04, 01:00 AM
Bill > wrote:
>I've been doing the same 2 day split routine for several months now and
>while I like it, I think I'd like to switch it up with a bit more
>cardio for specific sport reasons. My routine has been Mon-Push,
>Tues-Pull, then repeat Thurs and Fri.
>
>Anyone here tried say a Monday-Push, Tues-Pull, then Thurs-Push&Pull
>routine?

I interleave push- and pull-exercises (lat pulldown,
chest press, high-row, high-chest, low-row, dip, shrug,
shoulder press, then go do arms) so my arms don't get
tired and leave my big muscles working smaller weights.

As mentioned elsewhere, I only split upper and lower body
by days. (And don't work the middle, but naturally will
if I start building up again.) I also do only aerobic and
interval work on my lower body, and only resistance work
on top, so it's not like I would mix those up...

>I've tried the 3day full body workouts but find it takes a lot longer
>in the gym and I tend to get connective tissue pains from overuse. I'm
>finding better results with a bit more rest to the joints.

The only joints I have that hurt are the medial portion of
my elbow (it gets the torso support stress on a bicycle,
so it's hit hard every day) and my right patella (but
that's because I stupidly tried to stretch my tibialis
while riding standing up on a bike set up with low bars
and no way to move the bars forward, so I came over the
top and jammed my knee under the bar...****ing OW!)

Whether the lack of soreness in other joints is due
to spreading the stress out over several days or my
diet and/or joint supplement, I don't have the data to
determine.

--Blair
"Maybe I'm a mutant."

Blair P. Houghton
December 24th 04, 01:03 AM
frank > wrote:
>i am 71, and started a push pull routine about 3 months ago with good
>results. however, i do two routines a week (for recovery time). one is a
>vertical 4 sets ea alternating between shoulder presses and pull downs, then
>4 ea alternating between upright rows and dips and, last is lateral raises
>and back flexing (for rhomboids). the other is a horizontal 4 sets ea
>alternating between chest presses and lat pulls, then 4 ea alternating
>between chest flies and reverse flies and, last is 4 ea stiff arm pullovers
>and straight arm upright raises (forward). that is it for upper body except
>that i have an ab day where i also do reverse situps. work your legs and
>arms in on other days (arms preferable when you will have at least a day off
>afterwards). a main objective is recovery time because you work so many
>other muscles in every excercise. my cardio is morning jogs three times a
>week. hope this is helpful.

You had me at "i am 71".

--Blair
"Something to shoot for."

frank
December 24th 04, 09:10 PM
no sweat (pun not intended), just be consistent and let the years roll by.
i would like to add:
my 2 push pulls are done sunday(vertical) and wednesday (horizontal).
monday is for waistline, friday is for arms, and legs are split up between
tues and thurs (i like to go to gym [golds] every day but sat). they closed
at 2pm today, just got back. keep up the good fight!

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> frank > wrote:
>>i am 71, and started a push pull routine about 3 months ago with good
>>results. however, i do two routines a week (for recovery time). one is a
>>vertical 4 sets ea alternating between shoulder presses and pull downs,
>>then
>>4 ea alternating between upright rows and dips and, last is lateral raises
>>and back flexing (for rhomboids). the other is a horizontal 4 sets ea
>>alternating between chest presses and lat pulls, then 4 ea alternating
>>between chest flies and reverse flies and, last is 4 ea stiff arm
>>pullovers
>>and straight arm upright raises (forward). that is it for upper body
>>except
>>that i have an ab day where i also do reverse situps. work your legs and
>>arms in on other days (arms preferable when you will have at least a day
>>off
>>afterwards). a main objective is recovery time because you work so many
>>other muscles in every excercise. my cardio is morning jogs three times a
>>week. hope this is helpful.
>
> You had me at "i am 71".
>
> --Blair
> "Something to shoot for."

Bill
December 27th 04, 03:42 AM
frank wrote:
> i would like to add:
> my 2 push pulls are done sunday(vertical) and wednesday (horizontal).

> monday is for waistline, friday is for arms, and legs are split up
between
> tues and thurs (i like to go to gym [golds] every day but sat). they
closed
> at 2pm today, just got back. keep up the good fight!

Wow! 71, good job! I'm still a kid at 46 so I have a ways to go yet.
<g>

You bring up an interesting workout using "vertical" then "horizontal"
Push/Pull workout days. That could be something for me to try out when
I change up again.

Well, I did my first week doing Push on Mon, Pull on Tues and Fullbody
on Thurs. The one thing I noticed is it was hard to complete my Thurs
full body with the same lifts as the week before. Going right from the
Bench to cable rows is tough! It's one reason I've been trying to keep
my Push and Pulls on seperate days. I'll see how it goes...

--
Bill

frank
December 27th 04, 10:41 PM
better separate one of those days for some upper body rest(and growth).

ups.com...