against Americans.

John Hanson
January 11th 05, 12:23 PM
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:01:19 -0600, John Hanson
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>The USAPL was invited to come to CPU Nationals and then, because of
>opposition from some CPU members, the invitation was rescinded.
>What's up with that? Seems some Canadians don't want to compete
>against Americans.

http://www.powerlifting.ca/cgi-bin/config.cgi?read=22206

Canadian Powerlifting Union Forum

Revoked out invitation to the USAPL

Posted By: Garry Holmen (S01060020ed656072.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: Saturday, 8 January 2005, at 8:03 a.m.

With much regret I sent an email off to Larry Maile this AM asking him
not to send a team to CPU Nationals. I have taken full responsibility
for this: professionally, financially and ethically. It was never my
intent to fragment the CPU nor take away the importance of Canadians
competing in Canada.

Thank you to those who supported the idea of commraderie, competition
and international exposure to our lifters. That spark of future hope
has made these past few days bearable. You guys have hearts of
champions!

I have always been proud to be Canadian, to show everyone around what
we can do, what we are capable of and what we stand for. We've opened
our arms to foreigners around the globe and welcomed them into our
country with world renown hospitality, good cheer and friendly
competition when need be.

My maple leaf is more wilted today. I guess the political negativity
that the media continues to heap upon us carries a greater influence
then the love of this great sport.

I would like to apologize to Jeff Butt for having to deal with this.
Jeff is doing and has done an outstanding job as CPU president in this
past term. I can't being to fathom how he puts as much energy and
enthusiasm into this day after day. But he does. The CPU is *very*
lucky to have him. Remember that!

As well Jimmy Hall... you are a good friend Jim and thanks for your
support when I needed it. You represent some of the best things that
Alberta and Canada has to offer.

Lastly, I apologize to the CPU and the APU. It was never my intent to
make us appear fragmented, disorganized or xenophobic. I can only hope
our international reputation doesn't take too much of a hit because of
this.n It was not my intent to bring the APU nor CPU into disrepute.

Article XXI, section 12 of our constitution dictates our actions in
cases like this. As such I will be stepping down from any from any
CPU/APU functions that I am currently involved in. I will accept any
punishments the EC deems fit without argument nor complaint.

To my friends in the CPU that I've made over that past 12 years thank
you.

Garry

Keith Hobman
January 11th 05, 01:07 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> The USAPL was invited to come to CPU Nationals and then, because of
> opposition from some CPU members, the invitation was rescinded.
> What's up with that? Seems some Canadians don't want to compete
> against Americans.

I suspect there is more to it than Canadians. Remember the Pan Am
powerlifting fiasco that got Mauro in hot water?

John Hanson
January 11th 05, 01:25 PM
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:07:15 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:
>
>> The USAPL was invited to come to CPU Nationals and then, because of
>> opposition from some CPU members, the invitation was rescinded.
>> What's up with that? Seems some Canadians don't want to compete
>> against Americans.
>
>I suspect there is more to it than Canadians. Remember the Pan Am
>powerlifting fiasco that got Mauro in hot water?

Uhmm, you might want to read the rest of the threads on the CPU forum.

Keith Hobman
January 11th 05, 02:03 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:07:15 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >In article >, John Hanson
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The USAPL was invited to come to CPU Nationals and then, because of
> >> opposition from some CPU members, the invitation was rescinded.
> >> What's up with that? Seems some Canadians don't want to compete
> >> against Americans.
> >
> >I suspect there is more to it than Canadians. Remember the Pan Am
> >powerlifting fiasco that got Mauro in hot water?
>
> Uhmm, you might want to read the rest of the threads on the CPU forum.

Only to get an idea of who is afraid of competition. But Garry mentioned
the 'EC' which makes me wonder. I can ask him - he is a good friend of
mine.

Still - the problem is our Nats aren't really big. If we can get more high
calibre lifters to Nats we can put on a really good show. The only reason
I see for restricting high calibre competition at a meet is if the meet is
so large it becomes logistically impossible.

BTW John - the Masters Weightlifting opened our Nationals and we got a few
Americans. Your Masters, which isn't that big, didn't. Seems some
Americans don't want to compete against the Canadians.

:^?

Keith Hobman
January 11th 05, 02:17 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> The USAPL was invited to come to CPU Nationals and then, because of
> opposition from some CPU members, the invitation was rescinded.
> What's up with that? Seems some Canadians don't want to compete
> against Americans.

John - I ended up heading to the CPU forum and I see what you mean.

This is ugly and it is all internal. For the life of me I can't figure our
what the 'EC' (whatever that is!) is thinking. Screwed up. They just
****ed off one of their biggest meet directors in Calgary, Alberta. Which
in Canada ranks as one of the 7-8 venues where you can draw a lot of
international traffic.

Stupid. really stupid. But I can't see anyone on the forum supporting the
decision. If I were Garry I'd rescind my rescind and screw the rules. He
is going to resign anyhow. So let them suspend him.

This could really screw up his entire plans and budget.

Al
January 11th 05, 06:03 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:
> This is ugly and it is all internal. For the life of me I can't
> figure our what the 'EC' (whatever that is!) is thinking.

EC = Executive Committee (?)

--
Al

Keith Hobman
January 11th 05, 06:11 PM
In article <[email protected]>, "Al" > wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote:
> > This is ugly and it is all internal. For the life of me I can't
> > figure our what the 'EC' (whatever that is!) is thinking.
>
> EC = Executive Committee (?)

Sounds right.