PDA

View Full Version : Re: Muscle repair


Steve
September 2nd 03, 08:00 AM
Some periodization schemes schedule a week off from training every year
just to get these kind of benefits.

Steve


Carl Collins wrote:
> How long does it takes for the muscles to repair after an exercise?
> I have been doing the dumbells and situps etc for sometime now and have
> noticed improvements but I have also noticed that my muscles feel hard when
> I take a week or fortnight off from exercising...(I get lazy periods)
>
>
>

Carl Collins
September 2nd 03, 12:19 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message
...
>
> Some periodization schemes schedule a week off from training every year
> just to get these kind of benefits.
>
> Steve
>
>Is it to let the muscles fully repair or something like that?





> Carl Collins wrote:
> > How long does it takes for the muscles to repair after an exercise?
> > I have been doing the dumbells and situps etc for sometime now and have
> > noticed improvements but I have also noticed that my muscles feel hard
when
> > I take a week or fortnight off from exercising...(I get lazy periods)
> >
> >
> >
>

k957
September 3rd 03, 04:08 AM
"Carl Collins" > wrote in message
...
> How long does it takes for the muscles to repair after an exercise?
> I have been doing the dumbells and situps etc for sometime now and have
> noticed improvements but I have also noticed that my muscles feel hard
when
> I take a week or fortnight off from exercising...(I get lazy periods)
>

http://www.stumptuous.com/rest.html

--
-- Spam Sink

hardworkin
September 3rd 03, 09:27 PM
"k957" > wrote in message >...
> "Carl Collins" > wrote in message
> ...
> > How long does it takes for the muscles to repair after an exercise?
> > I have been doing the dumbells and situps etc for sometime now and have
> > noticed improvements but I have also noticed that my muscles feel hard
> when
> > I take a week or fortnight off from exercising...(I get lazy periods)
> >
>
> http://www.stumptuous.com/rest.html

So, I've wondered if there is evidence that more muscle repair happens
while sleeping, or is it pretty evenly distributed throughout times of
innactivity? In other words, if I'm not getting enough sleep lately,
does that mean I need more recovery time?

Goran Tomaš
September 3rd 03, 10:17 PM
On 3 Sep 2003 13:27:48 -0700, (hardworkin)
wrote:
>"k957" > wrote in message >...
>> "Carl Collins" > wrote in message
>> ...
>> > How long does it takes for the muscles to repair after an exercise?
>> > I have been doing the dumbells and situps etc for sometime now and have
>> > noticed improvements but I have also noticed that my muscles feel hard
>> when
>> > I take a week or fortnight off from exercising...(I get lazy periods)
>> >
>>
>> http://www.stumptuous.com/rest.html
>
>So, I've wondered if there is evidence that more muscle repair happens
>while sleeping, or is it pretty evenly distributed throughout times of
>innactivity? In other words, if I'm not getting enough sleep lately,
>does that mean I need more recovery time?

I don't have any *evidence* but I can offer you my opinion. I believe
you can not make up sleeping with inactivity... Sure you're muscles
are resting, but the body is not recovering and rebuilding at a rate
it does while sleeping. Sleep is a very specific state of body (and
mind) when the nervous system doesn't have to process the external
stimuli, conscious thinking etc. and can (and does on a subconscious,
automatic level) deal with the inner "stuff" including specific
hormonal production. And hormones my friend, dictate *everything* that
happens to your body....


Regards,
Goran

hardworkin
September 4th 03, 06:47 PM
Goran Toma? > wrote in message >...
> On 3 Sep 2003 13:27:48 -0700, (hardworkin)
> wrote:
> >"k957" > wrote in message >...
> >> "Carl Collins" > wrote in message
> >> ...
> >> > How long does it takes for the muscles to repair after an exercise?
> >> > I have been doing the dumbells and situps etc for sometime now and have
> >> > noticed improvements but I have also noticed that my muscles feel hard
> when
> >> > I take a week or fortnight off from exercising...(I get lazy periods)
> >> >
> >>
> >> http://www.stumptuous.com/rest.html
> >
> >So, I've wondered if there is evidence that more muscle repair happens
> >while sleeping, or is it pretty evenly distributed throughout times of
> >innactivity? In other words, if I'm not getting enough sleep lately,
> >does that mean I need more recovery time?
>
> I don't have any *evidence* but I can offer you my opinion. I believe
> you can not make up sleeping with inactivity... Sure you're muscles
> are resting, but the body is not recovering and rebuilding at a rate
> it does while sleeping. Sleep is a very specific state of body (and
> mind) when the nervous system doesn't have to process the external
> stimuli, conscious thinking etc. and can (and does on a subconscious,
> automatic level) deal with the inner "stuff" including specific
> hormonal production. And hormones my friend, dictate *everything* that
> happens to your body....

Yeah, I remember those awkward teen years well enough ... oh wait,
never mind.

Anyway, your argument seems intuitive, but I'm also wondering about
clinical evidence. Where should I look for info on muscle repair and
resting/sleeping?
- HW