PDA

View Full Version : Dumbbell Good Mornings!

Charles
January 27th 05, 10:47 PM
I decided to experiment yesterday during my Wednesday whole-body
schedule, as I have not been satisfied that I am hitting my hamstrings
and glutes effectively.

Since having lost the use of our free-weight room some time ago, we
are left with only a modest selection of dumbbells. I used two 20 kg
dumbbells and holding them parallel with my collar bones (clavicles) I
mimicked as closely as possible a barbell 'Good Morning Curl' and did
three sets of ten.

I have no doubt today that they are effective, as I have unusually
been experiencing a fair amount of DOMS. I can't remember the last
time an exercise was so effective, since I found the overhead pulley
Triceps Curls, which have become a firm favourite.

Has anyone else seen this exercise done with dumbbells? For those that
haven't, I heartily recommend them!! ;o)

Hobbes
January 27th 05, 10:52 PM
In article >, Charles
> wrote:

> I decided to experiment yesterday during my Wednesday whole-body
> schedule, as I have not been satisfied that I am hitting my hamstrings
> and glutes effectively.
>
> Since having lost the use of our free-weight room some time ago, we
> are left with only a modest selection of dumbbells. I used two 20 kg
> dumbbells and holding them parallel with my collar bones (clavicles) I
> mimicked as closely as possible a barbell 'Good Morning Curl' and did
> three sets of ten.
>
> I have no doubt today that they are effective, as I have unusually
> been experiencing a fair amount of DOMS. I can't remember the last
> time an exercise was so effective, since I found the overhead pulley
> Triceps Curls, which have become a firm favourite.
>
> Has anyone else seen this exercise done with dumbbells? For those that
> haven't, I heartily recommend them!! ;o)

Why do you equate DOMS with effectiveness?

Charles
January 27th 05, 11:01 PM
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:52:00 -0600, (Hobbes)
wrote:

>In article >, Charles
> wrote:
>
>> I decided to experiment yesterday during my Wednesday whole-body
>> schedule, as I have not been satisfied that I am hitting my hamstrings
>> and glutes effectively.
>>
>> Since having lost the use of our free-weight room some time ago, we
>> are left with only a modest selection of dumbbells. I used two 20 kg
>> dumbbells and holding them parallel with my collar bones (clavicles) I
>> mimicked as closely as possible a barbell 'Good Morning Curl' and did
>> three sets of ten.
>>
>> I have no doubt today that they are effective, as I have unusually
>> been experiencing a fair amount of DOMS. I can't remember the last
>> time an exercise was so effective, since I found the overhead pulley
>> Triceps Curls, which have become a firm favourite.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this exercise done with dumbbells? For those that
>> haven't, I heartily recommend them!! ;o)
>
>Why do you equate DOMS with effectiveness?

Only because in this particular instance, that it demonstrated amply
that I was hitting the right muscle groups, and that I was probably
using too much weight, for what is "effectively" a new exercise, with
which I have yet to come to terms.