PDA

View Full Version : Oly lifting and wrestling

Jim Ranieri
February 4th 05, 01:44 PM
News article about a local kid
http://www.dailyherald.com/prepsports/prep_story.asp?intID=38387107

excerpt:

The explosive nature of his type of weightlifting benefits both pursuits,
and is clear to head wrestling coach George Dyche and assistant Mike DiNovo,
especially on double-leg takedowns.

They both recall a telling moment in an early-season match against Glenbard
North standout John Malizzio.

"He took Malizzio and he lifted him a little bit and he gave him a little
bit of a twist and set Malizzio right down on his back," Dyche says. "I
went, 'Wow,' because Malizzio is a tough kid. You just don't throw Malizzio
around, and for that moment, it was quick, it was slick, and it was
powerful. Matt did it like it was, 'Yeah, I do this all the time.'"

_______________________________

Hobbes
February 4th 05, 02:25 PM
In article >, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,> wrote:

> News article about a local kid
> http://www.dailyherald.com/prepsports/prep_story.asp?intID=38387107
>
> excerpt:
>
> The explosive nature of his type of weightlifting benefits both pursuits,
> and is clear to head wrestling coach George Dyche and assistant Mike DiNovo,
> especially on double-leg takedowns.

We used a lot of variants of olympic lifts while training Viola Yanik for
the olympics last year. She is exceptionaly explosive and strong. Of
course, if you want to wrestle that isn't enough. You also need stamina
and technique. Lots of stamina and technique.

Jim Ranieri
February 4th 05, 04:22 PM
wrote:

> > News article about a local kid
> > http://www.dailyherald.com/prepsports/prep_story.asp?intID=38387107
> >
> > excerpt:
> >
> > The explosive nature of his type of weightlifting benefits both
pursuits,
> > and is clear to head wrestling coach George Dyche and assistant Mike
DiNovo,
> > especially on double-leg takedowns.
>
> We used a lot of variants of olympic lifts while training Viola Yanik for
> the olympics last year. She is exceptionaly explosive and strong. Of
> course, if you want to wrestle that isn't enough. You also need stamina
> and technique. Lots of stamina and technique.

Of course, if your technique is good enough - you don't really need stamina.
: )

Hobbes
February 4th 05, 04:43 PM
In article >, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,> wrote:

> "Hobbes" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,>
> wrote:
> >
> > > News article about a local kid
> > > http://www.dailyherald.com/prepsports/prep_story.asp?intID=38387107
> > >
> > > excerpt:
> > >
> > > The explosive nature of his type of weightlifting benefits both
> pursuits,
> > > and is clear to head wrestling coach George Dyche and assistant Mike
> DiNovo,
> > > especially on double-leg takedowns.
> >
> > We used a lot of variants of olympic lifts while training Viola Yanik for
> > the olympics last year. She is exceptionaly explosive and strong. Of
> > course, if you want to wrestle that isn't enough. You also need stamina
> > and technique. Lots of stamina and technique.
>
> Of course, if your technique is good enough - you don't really need stamina.

Depends. On the other persons technique. If it is also good enough - you
need stamina.

Put another way - at the olympic level you better be in shape. Strength,
speed, stamina and technique.

John Hanson
February 5th 05, 01:21 PM
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:43:27 -0600, (Hobbes) wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article >, "Jim Ranieri" <nah,> wrote:
>
>> "Hobbes" > wrote in message

>> pursuits,
>> DiNovo,
>> >
>> > We used a lot of variants of olympic lifts while training Viola Yanik for
>> > the olympics last year. She is exceptionaly explosive and strong. Of
>> > course, if you want to wrestle that isn't enough. You also need stamina
>> > and technique. Lots of stamina and technique.
>>
>> Of course, if your technique is good enough - you don't really need stamina.
>
>Depends. On the other persons technique. If it is also good enough - you
>need stamina.
>
>Put another way - at the olympic level you better be in shape. Strength,
>speed, stamina and technique.

I think that was a joke.

Jim Ranieri
February 5th 05, 01:46 PM

wrote:

> >> pursuits,
Mike
> >> DiNovo,

> >> Of course, if your technique is good enough - you don't really need
stamina.

> >Depends. On the other persons technique. If it is also good enough - you
> >need stamina.
> >
> >Put another way - at the olympic level you better be in shape. Strength,
> >speed, stamina and technique.
>
> I think that was a joke.

He even snipped my smiley face. Ouch.

Hobbes
February 5th 05, 03:14 PM
In article >, John Hanson
> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:43:27 -0600, (Hobbes) wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:

> >> pursuits,
> >> DiNovo,

> >> Of course, if your technique is good enough - you don't really need
stamina.

> >Depends. On the other persons technique. If it is also good enough - you
> >need stamina.
> >
> >Put another way - at the olympic level you better be in shape. Strength,
> >speed, stamina and technique.
>
> I think that was a joke.

It was a humour. But as a martial artist Jim also knows my point is valid.
You know what you bring to the table, but you never know what the other
person does...

--
Keith

Jim Ranieri
February 5th 05, 03:21 PM

wrote:

> [...]
<nah,>

http://www.dailyherald.com/prepsports/prep_story.asp?intID=38387107

Mike

Yanik for
Of

> stamina.
> > >
> > >Depends. On the other persons technique. If it is also good enough -
you
> > >need stamina.
> > >
> > >Put another way - at the olympic level you better be in shape.
Strength,
> > >speed, stamina and technique.
> >
> > I think that was a joke.
>
> It was a humour. But as a martial artist Jim also knows my point is valid.
> You know what you bring to the table, but you never know what the other
> person does...

Martial artist? I'm a wrestler, damnit - not some pajama-wearin sissy.

Hobbes
February 5th 05, 03:30 PM

LOL!

--
Keith

DanL
February 9th 05, 03:18 AM
"Hobbes" > wrote in message
>> >Depends. On the other persons technique. If it is also good enough - you
>> >need stamina.
This is where my son has won quite a few matches, by being in better shape
against guys who are actually better wrestlers. They get so used to winning
fast, when someone makes them go 3 periods, they can't handle it.