PDA

View Full Version : When the tongue or pen is let loose!


John HUDSON
September 6th 03, 10:03 AM
When the tongue or pen is let loose in a frenzy of passion, it is the
man and not the subject, that becomes exhausted.
THOMAS PAINE

== meaning = = = = = = =

To be angry is to punish your own self. Besides, in quieter moments
you'll find the offense quite negligible!

= =story = = = = = = = "

The officer is a fool!" exclaimed Stanton, secretary of war to
President Lincoln: "He does not understand a simple clear cut order!"
"Oh!" said Lincoln: "How strange!" "I feel like summoning him here and
giving him a piece of my mind" said Stanton furiously. "I will not
spare him this time.

This is outrageous!" "Indeed!" agreed Lincoln: "It is outrageous.
Don't spare him. I say Stanton cut him down to size." "Oh, sure, I
will", grunted the Secretary. "Write to him just now, when you are at
it!" advised the President quite seriously, "write it to your heart's
content." Then Stanton wrote him a big nasty letter giving vent to his
indignation. He looked at the letter satisfied. "Nothing is left
unsaid!" murmured Secretary Stanton to himself exhausted.

Then he spoke aloud, as if saying to himself: "Now with whom shall I
send this letter to him?" "Send it?" echoed Lincoln: "Why, you should
not send it at all," "You mean..." "Yes I mean that you shouldn't send
this letter! Tear it to pieces, Stanton!" said the great man calmly:
"You have purged yourself of your anger thoroughly well. Now, forget
it. I know, you never want to send such letters. I myself will never
do that."

================================================== ===============

Keith Hobman
September 6th 03, 02:06 PM
In article >,
(John) wrote:

> > John HUDSON
>
> wrote:snipped
>
> But John, if MFW thought before they wrote, we wouldn't have all this fun!!!
>
You missed the point. The secretary wrote - and he thought about it. He
was satisfied that he had made all his points. He vented his anger and
frustration.

Then he was supposed to tear up the letter.

I do this often - start writing a knee-jerk reaction and then think
"Nothing positive can come from this." and don't post it. Occasionally I
do and I almost always regret it.

To me this is excellent advice. I have a violent temper, so years ago I
resolved never, ever to talk to my kinds or punish them when I was angry.
I'd leave, think about it and then talk to them. Works very well for me.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

John
September 6th 03, 02:21 PM
> (Keith Hobman)

wrote:
snipped

Yeah, I know...I got it. Just took the opportunity to poke fun. I agree, it's
excellent advice. I tried to make it a rule to never send a letter when angry.
I would wait one day and usually either soften the wording or as in the
example, not send it at all.

John

Lee Michaels
September 6th 03, 02:42 PM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
...
> In article >,
> (John) wrote:
>
> > > John HUDSON
> >
> > wrote:snipped
> >
> > But John, if MFW thought before they wrote, we wouldn't have all this
fun!!!
> >
> You missed the point. The secretary wrote - and he thought about it. He
> was satisfied that he had made all his points. He vented his anger and
> frustration.
>
> Then he was supposed to tear up the letter.
>
> I do this often - start writing a knee-jerk reaction and then think
> "Nothing positive can come from this." and don't post it. Occasionally I
> do and I almost always regret it.
>
> To me this is excellent advice. I have a violent temper, so years ago I
> resolved never, ever to talk to my kinds or punish them when I was angry.
> I'd leave, think about it and then talk to them. Works very well for me.
>

Very interesting.

I can relate Keith. Years ago when I was writing for some magazines and
corporate stuff, I was constantly under the gun to produce massive amount of
copy on deadlines. It was very fustrating. I was definitely angry. I put
the anger to work for me.

I would sit down and start venting onto the computer. That first draft
sounded like a madman. Theen I would start ot revise and edit. Two or three
times meant it could be viewed by the public. Five times meant it was damn
good. And for perfection, I would wait a day to a week and revise one or two
more times. Each cycle required outside copy proofing and imput.

I remember one amusing incident. I was in my twice weekly meeting with some
retards I worked for who ran a MLM supplement company. The guy who ran it
was a genius, but a business disaster. He was also something of a religious
fanatic. This guy created far more problems than he solved.

He left the room and a couple of his staff exploded and said they wissh they
could express how they really felt. Since I was the outside marketing
consultant, they asked me how to deal with this. I told them of my writing
technique. They didn't beleive me.

I reached into my breifcase and produced a first draft of a report that I
had presented earlier. They were amazed. I got treated much better by the
staff after that episode.

I think that one of the great things about Usenet is it is so fast and
immediate. I often post when at work. It is quick and fast. And like you, I
often start to write something, and don't post it. I can be VERY impatient
and nasty at times.

But in spite of the fact that MFW can be an unruly lot, I think a lot of
good things come out. Certainly some of the humor, etc that occurs here just
would not have a place to express itself in other areas of our lives. And
the odd chuckle or two can definitely brighten up the day.

Lee Michaels.

Robert Dorf
September 6th 03, 02:46 PM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:42:06 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:


>
>But in spite of the fact that MFW can be an unruly lot, I think a lot of
>good things come out. Certainly some of the humor, etc that occurs here just
>would not have a place to express itself in other areas of our lives. And
>the odd chuckle or two can definitely brighten up the day.

You'd be amazed how few people I work with that really appreciate
cannibalism.

Wayne S. Hill
September 6th 03, 03:07 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> I do this often - start writing a knee-jerk reaction and
> then think "Nothing positive can come from this." and don't
> post it. Occasionally I do and I almost always regret it.

Damned Canadjuns: too nice.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
September 6th 03, 06:43 PM
John M. Williams wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote:
>>Keith Hobman wrote:
>>
>>> I do this often - start writing a knee-jerk reaction and
>>> then think "Nothing positive can come from this." and
>>> don't post it. Occasionally I do and I almost always
>>> regret it.
>>
>>Damned Canadjuns: too nice.
>
> So can you imagine the stuff that I decide not to post? :)

The mind boggles.

--
-Wayne

Robert Dorf
September 6th 03, 10:55 PM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:34:36 GMT, gps > wrote:

>Robert Dorf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:42:06 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >But in spite of the fact that MFW can be an unruly lot, I think a lot of
>> >good things come out. Certainly some of the humor, etc that occurs here just
>> >would not have a place to express itself in other areas of our lives. And
>> >the odd chuckle or two can definitely brighten up the day.
>>
>> You'd be amazed how few people I work with that really appreciate
>> cannibalism.
>>
>>
>
>Have you suggested trying some fava beans and a nice chianti?
>ps

And just try telling a humorous decapitation story to these folks...

<rant turns into mumbling>

John HUDSON
September 7th 03, 10:31 AM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:25:49 -0400, John M. Williams
> wrote:

>"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote:
>
>>Keith Hobman wrote:
>>
>>> I do this often - start writing a knee-jerk reaction and
>>> then think "Nothing positive can come from this." and don't
>>> post it. Occasionally I do and I almost always regret it.
>>
>>Damned Canadjuns: too nice.
>
>So can you imagine the stuff that I decide not to post? :)

Your restraint in recent weeks has been admirable, and much
appreciated by all of us that enjoy and prefer your real talents. <s>

John HUDSON
September 7th 03, 10:41 AM
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:34:36 GMT, gps > wrote:

>Robert Dorf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:42:06 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >But in spite of the fact that MFW can be an unruly lot, I think a lot of
>> >good things come out. Certainly some of the humor, etc that occurs here just
>> >would not have a place to express itself in other areas of our lives. And
>> >the odd chuckle or two can definitely brighten up the day.
>>
>> You'd be amazed how few people I work with that really appreciate
>> cannibalism.
>>
>>
>
>Have you suggested trying some fava beans and a nice chianti?

This is good Pat! ;o)

>ps

John HUDSON
September 7th 03, 10:45 AM
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:16:10 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote:

>
>"John M. Williams" > wrote in message
...
>> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote:
>>
>> >Keith Hobman wrote:
>> >
>> >> I do this often - start writing a knee-jerk reaction and
>> >> then think "Nothing positive can come from this." and don't
>> >> post it. Occasionally I do and I almost always regret it.
>> >
>> >Damned Canadjuns: too nice.
>>
>> So can you imagine the stuff that I decide not to post? :)
>
>
><quaking with fear>
>
>I can not imagine! I can not imagine!
>
>And all this time we have been dealing with John's light side. Can you
>imagine dealing with John's dark side? Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Those of us that have been there know it's not very nice! ;o)

He's been doing enormously well for a long time Lee, so don't goad him
into responding. ;o))

>
><evil cackle>

<broad grin>
>
>