PDA

View Full Version : Re: Frequency

Wayne S. Hill
September 7th 03, 03:50 PM
Jason wrote:

> I do a full body workout every 5 days, and eat a ****load of
> food in between. I am making gains, but would I do better to
> workout 2 or 3 times a week?
>
> I've tried 2x per week, but my shoulder always bothers me...

Frequency is only one variable. There's also volume and
intensity. Generally speaking, one workout every 5 days isn't
enough, because you decondition between workouts. I'd suggest 3
workouts per week, with each workout not to exceed about 15
sets. My current workout is only 8 working sets, and takes <1/2
hour.

The shoulder thing is something else again. Ease up on the
weights in any exercise that bothers it, try stretching,

http://www.trygve.com/mfwastretchingwayne.html

and if this doesn't work try strengthening your external
rotators.

--
-Wayne

Jay
September 7th 03, 10:54 PM
Bothers you how?
I think the ultra-high frequency camp undervalue recovery, while the
infrequent camp overvalue the need for recovery.
Is your shoulder giving you the pain of DOMS, or overuse?
What are your goals? Every 5 days seems to be too infrequent for both
strength and hypertrophy focused workouts.
You are making gains though, so ride that pony.
m...