PDA

View Full Version : Recovery after workout

George
February 13th 05, 09:14 PM
What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.

Thanks.

George

David Cohen
February 13th 05, 10:38 PM
"George" > wrote
> What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
> muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.

Percocet.

David

Steve Freides
February 13th 05, 10:41 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "George" > wrote
>> What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease
>> minor
>> muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>
> Percocet.

Not Vicodin?

I've been prescribed both although I don't think I actually took the
Vicodin or even had the prescription filled. I got the impression from
the doc that Vicodin was somehow newer/better but that there wasn't that
much difference between them. Percocet for the back injury, Vicodin for
a suspected cracked rib.

-S-

http://www.kbnj.com

George
February 14th 05, 12:19 AM
What I had in mind was something more natural, not a narcotic. Do some
vitamins or foods promote quick muscle recovery after workouts?

George

"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "George" > wrote
> > What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
> > muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>
> Percocet.
>
> David

Will
February 14th 05, 12:49 AM
kind of depends on what you do. I think that this article will answer
your question more effectivly than I can:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm. The guy who wrote it
really knows his stuff.

Hope this helps

Will

David Cohen
February 14th 05, 12:51 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> "George" > wrote
>>> What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
>>> muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>>
>> Percocet.
>
> Not Vicodin?
>
> I've been prescribed both although I don't think I actually took the
> Vicodin or even had the prescription filled. I got the impression from
> the doc that Vicodin was somehow newer/better but that there wasn't that
> much difference between them. Percocet for the back injury, Vicodin for a
> suspected cracked rib.

They are about the same. If the same doctor prescribed one for your back and
the other for your rib, he's a total goofball.

David

David Cohen
February 14th 05, 12:53 AM
"George" > wrote
> What I had in mind was something more natural, not a narcotic.

Yes, we know. It's called humor.

> Do some
> vitamins or foods promote quick muscle recovery after workouts?

Not really, as far as the pain is concerned. You should be drinking/eating
some protein/carbs after lifting, but not for the pain.

David

> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> "George" > wrote
>> > What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease
>> > minor
>> > muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>>
>> Percocet.
>>
>> David

Steve Freides
February 14th 05, 01:10 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>> "George" > wrote
>>>
>>> Percocet.
>>
>> Not Vicodin?
>>
>> I've been prescribed both although I don't think I actually took the
>> Vicodin or even had the prescription filled. I got the impression from
>> the doc that Vicodin was somehow newer/better but that there wasn't that
>> much difference between them. Percocet for the back injury, Vicodin for
>> a suspected cracked rib.
>
> They are about the same. If the same doctor prescribed one for your back
> and the other for your rib, he's a total goofball.

Different doctors.

-S-

> David

Preacher
February 14th 05, 02:19 AM
David Cohen > wrote:

> "George" > wrote
> > What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
> > muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>
> Percocet.

I thought you were going to say testosterone.

Hobbes
February 14th 05, 02:27 AM
In article >, "George"
> wrote:

> What I had in mind was something more natural, not a narcotic. Do some
> vitamins or foods promote quick muscle recovery after workouts?

Depends on what your workout looks like. A good all-around drink is whey
protein with glutamine, creatine and maltodextrin.

--
Keith

JMW
February 14th 05, 03:17 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"George" > wrote
>> What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
>> muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>
>Percocet.

Dilaudid.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

jpsidewinder
February 14th 05, 03:27 AM
I'm fifty and my take on it is that 3x a week is too often. If you are
headed back to the gym and still have sore muscles, then you are
wasting your time trying to tear down before you've healed.
I use ice, try and eat a carbmeal with the kind of carbs that raise
one's blood sugar - something I'd usually avoid - and some decent
protein. Chocolate milk is a good cheap choice, even better if you can
mix some whey powder in it.
Cheapo things as well to keep cortisol down - since I find it easy to
overdo - vitamin c, aspirin, glutamine. A daily vitamin for ****s and
grins. Flax, borage and fish oil for the omegas.
But the biggest thing I've found is to do lower body one day, wait at
least 48 hours then upper body. If I get a really good workout in, I'm
still sore 5 days later and still wincing when I wake up in the
morning.
On off days I do heavyhands for cardio. The light weights help warm up
the muscles without overdoing it.
All best,
John

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 14th 05, 05:11 AM
JMW > wrote:

> "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >"George" > wrote
> >> What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
> >> muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
> >
> >Percocet.
>
> Dilaudid.

China white.

Dr_Dickie
February 14th 05, 12:10 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "George" > wrote
> > What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease minor
> > muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>
> Percocet.
>
> David

Good, but the best pain relief I ever found was morphine. One little push,
and the pain was gone (bone surgery)--Damn five minute wait before the next
push.
--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

David Cohen
February 14th 05, 01:23 PM
"Dr_Dickie" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote >>
>> "George" > wrote
>> > What's the best food or supplement to take after a workout to ease
>> > minor
>> > muscle pain? I'm in my mid-50s and lift 3X per week.
>>
>> Percocet.
>>
> Good, but the best pain relief I ever found was morphine. One little
> push,
> and the pain was gone (bone surgery)--Damn five minute wait before the
> next
> push.

But Pecocet is more "supplement"-like.

Had a kid with ADHD who pressed his PCA button about 850 times in 12 hours.
You and him are why we LOCK the pump!

Fentanyl. Drooool...

David

Dr_Dickie
February 14th 05, 01:31 PM
--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Dr_Dickie" > wrote
> > "David Cohen" > wrote >>
> >> "George" > wrote
> >>
> >> Percocet.
> >>
> > Good, but the best pain relief I ever found was morphine. One little
> > push,
> > and the pain was gone (bone surgery)--Damn five minute wait before the
> > next
> > push.
>
> But Pecocet is more "supplement"-like.
>
> Had a kid with ADHD who pressed his PCA button about 850 times in 12
hours.
> You and him are why we LOCK the pump!
>
> Fentanyl. Drooool...
>
> David

Guilty as charged. The first time the nurse did not lock the pump (hey I
was delerious with fever at the time). She told me not the hit the button
while the IV drip was using the line. I pushed, alarms sounded. The pump got
locked.
In my defense, they said every five minutes. I spent at least 36 hours
timing that 5 minutes...they cheated me by at least 10 seconds every five.
850, hell I did that in five minutes, the kids a wimp.

Will Brink
February 14th 05, 05:49 PM
In article >,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "George" > wrote
> > What I had in mind was something more natural, not a narcotic.
>
> Yes, we know. It's called humor.

He may have had a humor bipass at some point. It happens....

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

David Cohen
February 14th 05, 06:10 PM
"Will Brink" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>> "George" > wrote
>> > What I had in mind was something more natural, not a narcotic.
>>
>> Yes, we know. It's called humor.
>
> He may have had a humor bipass at some point. It happens....

Maybe his vitreous humor is cloudy.

Hopefully his blood, black bile, yellow bile, and phlegm are ok.

David

Chris Malcolm
February 18th 05, 11:17 AM
wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2005 19:27:29 -0800, "jpsidewinder" >
> wrote:

>>I'm fifty and my take on it is that 3x a week is too often.

> Not necessarily, especially if you watch the volume and intensity.

I'm sixty and find it depends on lots of things. I'm working some
muscles to failure, and one lot hurts for 3-4 days afterwards and
demands a break, whereas another lot is quite happy doing twice a day
sessions for ever. No idea yet what makes the difference. The most
important thing I'm finding is that most general advice seems to be
based on the average muscle in the average person, and not only am I
clearly not the average person but my muscles are individualistic
eccentrics as well.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

R P
February 18th 05, 02:03 PM
George; I'm 55 & workout 4X a week,myself.
I don't know what sort of pain your talking about but, if it's true
"pain" there may be something wrong. If that is the case & it persist,I
would say see a doctor.
If on the other hand it's muscle tightness,in the muscles just worked,
that's a good thing,should go away in about 24 or-so hours.
One thing you may need to consider is drink plenty!! of water,even
during your workout,so you stay hydrated.