PDA

View Full Version : Bar hangs getting freaking old

Theresa
September 9th 03, 02:19 AM
I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.

Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."

--
A gaining phase isn't an excuse to eat like a PMSing tree shrew.
--Mistress Krista

Kobe AnyHoleWillDo Bryant
September 9th 03, 03:26 AM
>From: "Theresa"

>I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.

Bar hangs do not work your upper back and biceps to any great degree.

If you wish to be able to do chinups, do exercises which strengthen your upper
back and biceps...

"I measure success by the degree to which I ruin other people's lives."

ATP
September 9th 03, 04:38 AM
Theresa wrote:
> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."

Oh- I thought you had misspelled "hags":-)

dogsbody
September 9th 03, 05:34 AM
"Theresa" > wrote in news:vlqap7okl7p75
@corp.supernews.com:

> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."

Theresa, you've been bitching about not being able to do a chin-up for a
while now and given that you squat more than I do and you're a girrul and I
can do chin-ups, the bitching's getting freaking old.

I don't have the experience to really talk, but--ignoring that, everyone else
does--I'd say do assisted chin-ups. If you don't have a machine, put a chair
behind you and put your feet on it bending at the knees. If you can't do one
that way, put a stool in front of you and put your feet on it bending at the
waist. Do as many chin-ups as you can with this assistance. Repeat as many
times a day as you can manage. Keep this up for a couple of weeks and see
where you get to.

I can't see how bar hangs are going to improve anything but your grip.

dogsbody

Jay
September 9th 03, 10:51 AM
Hangs to try to learn chins??
Negatives. Not too slow of a tempo, but lots of reps. Lots of sets.
Often.
3sec negative, or if fatigue sets in, terminate set.
Shouldn't really be problem to do 1 rep in any time, your current condition
being at least decent.
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."
>
> --
> A gaining phase isn't an excuse to eat like a PMSing tree shrew.
> --Mistress Krista

Wayne S. Hill
September 9th 03, 01:12 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:

>> "Theresa" > wrote:
>>
>> > I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a
>> > chin-up.
>>
> My guess is that she's holding at the midpoint which is
> working the bis/lats isometrically in the midrange. I sure
> as hell hope that's what she's doing.

I doubt it.

--
-Wayne

Theresa
September 9th 03, 01:45 PM
MJL wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:19:39 -0500, "Theresa" >
> wrote:
>
>> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>>
>> Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."
>
> What has your training looked like? What is your strategic plan to ge
> tto being able to do a chin? I hope it is not to hang there long
> enough that the bar bends.

Strategic would be overstating it. ;-)

Negative chins and bar hangs in that order.

Theresa
September 9th 03, 01:48 PM
dogsbody wrote:
> "Theresa" > wrote in news:vlqap7okl7p75
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>>
>> Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."
>>

> Theresa, you've been bitching about not being able to do a chin-up
> for a while now and given that you squat more than I do and you're a
> girl and I can do chin-ups, the bitching's getting freaking old.

You should hear me go on about men.

> I don't have the experience to really talk, but--ignoring that,
> everyone else does--I'd say do assisted chin-ups. If you don't have a
> machine, put a chair behind you and put your feet on it bending at
> the knees. If you can't do one that way, put a stool in front of you
> and put your feet on it bending at the waist. Do as many chin-ups as
> you can with this assistance. Repeat as many times a day as you can
> manage. Keep this up for a couple of weeks and see where you get to.

> I can't see how bar hangs are going to improve anything but your grip.

You might be impressed at what they've done for my grip, though, and
swearing ability.

> dogsbody

Stephen Mulholland
September 9th 03, 02:36 PM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Somebody owes me an, "I told you so."

Tried the tried and trusted (well, tried and trusted by me) negatives
approach?

I've posted this many times in the past, so once more from the top - from
Bill Roberts, ex-regular :

******Start of Bill Roberts' Article*******

Probably the best exercise to meet your goal, being unable now to

do any pullups, is negative pullups.

Use a chair to bring yourself to the top position of the pullup (bar at

upper chest. Then lift up your feet and lower yourself slowly, taking

about 4-6 seconds (SECONDS, not fast counts) to lower completely. You

will probably be able to do this a few times your first try.

Keep doing "reps" (additional lowerings without rest) until you cannot

help but go down fairly quickly. Then you are done with that "set"

(group of repetitions with no rest inbetween.) Rest several minutes

and do one more set.

Don't do any more pullups for several days. Take two or three days off.

Next time, do the same number of reps on each set as you did before, but

make the last rep slower than it was last time.

When you get to the point where that last rep is quite slow, like 10

seconds, it is time for you to do an additional rep. You will be able to

do it.

When you get to the point of about 10 reps, you will be strong enough to

do regular pullups.

This is essentially a sure-fire plan. It does work.

As to the question of what muscles are worked: the lats (muscles at the

sides of the back, giving a V shape) muscles of the upper back such as

teres, biceps, and to a lesser degree triceps benefit from pullups.

Of course one really should do other exercises besides pullups, but if

your goal is as stated, this is a means to achieve it.

Bill

************End of Bill Roberts' article********

HTH

Stephen

> --
> A gaining phase isn't an excuse to eat like a PMSing tree shrew.
> --Mistress Krista

dogsbody
September 10th 03, 02:47 AM
Lyle McDonald > wrote in
:

> dogsbody wrote:
>>
>> Theresa, you've been bitching about not being able to do a chin-up for
>> a while now and given that you squat more than I do and you're a girrul
>> and I can do chin-ups, the bitching's getting freaking old.
>
> Generally speaking, women are roughly on par with men in terms of lower
> body strength.
>
> When it comes to upper body strength, well, they lift like girls.

Thanks. my manly pride is assuaged.

dogsbody

omegazero2003
September 10th 03, 05:07 PM
"MJL" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:45:26 -0500, "Theresa" >
> wrote:
>
> >MJL wrote:

> >> What has your training looked like? What is your strategic plan to ge
> >> tto being able to do a chin? I hope it is not to hang there long
> >> enough that the bar bends.
> >
> >Strategic would be overstating it. ;-)
> >
> >Negative chins and bar hangs in that order.
> >

> Negatives are a good start. Remember to allow sufficient recovery
> time. I don't think I have ever found a movement more draining than
> negatives.

Try a good bowel movement.

MJL
September 11th 03, 02:08 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:07:51 GMT, "omegazero2003"
> wrote:

>"MJL" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:45:26 -0500, "Theresa" >
>> wrote:

>> >Strategic would be overstating it. ;-)
>> >
>> >Negative chins and bar hangs in that order.
>> >

>> Negatives are a good start. Remember to allow sufficient recovery
>> time. I don't think I have ever found a movement more draining than
>> negatives.
>
>Try a good bowel movement.

Funny you should mention that. i DO enjoy a good bowel movement and I
know I'm not alone. I was calculating how much actual movement there
is during a good anal sex session (the skin on my member is pretty
tight when erect) and it works out to about a 60-80 foot bowel
movement. heh

R.Coyote
September 30th 03, 09:52 PM
are you hanging at the top position?

"Seth Breidbart" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Theresa > wrote:
> >I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Now try hanging with your elbows bent.
>
> Seth
> --
> Sometimes we have to forget studies and theories and just lift like a
> ****er! -- George UK

Amir
September 30th 03, 10:51 PM
(Seth Breidbart) wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Theresa > wrote:
> >I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Now try hanging with your elbows bent.
>
> Seth

I've never tried bar hangs before. I don't think they will be very
effective becase of the lack of motion.

Amir
http://hop.clickbank.net/?aa715/lebrunfit
Body building program that packs on muscle!

Theresa
October 1st 03, 04:46 PM
Seth Breidbart wrote:
> In article >,
> Theresa > wrote:
>> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>
> Now try hanging with your elbows bent.
>
> Seth

I do. I can do forehead thumps now, just can't quite get my chin over the
bar.

forehead thumps, it's a look

hardworkin
October 2nd 03, 07:06 AM

>I do. I can do forehead thumps now, just can't quite get my chin over the
>bar.

>forehead thumps, it's a look

Can you do them in time to the music on your headphones?

- HW

Seth Breidbart
October 2nd 03, 09:17 PM
In article >,
Amir > wrote:
(Seth Breidbart) wrote in message >...
>> In article >,
>> Theresa > wrote:
>> >I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>>
>> Now try hanging with your elbows bent.

>I've never tried bar hangs before. I don't think they will be very
>effective becase of the lack of motion.

Be prepared to surprise yourself.

Hang at different positions, especially around your sticking point.

Seth
--
Sometimes we have to forget studies and theories and just lift like a
****er! -- George UK

Seth Breidbart
October 2nd 03, 09:18 PM
In article >,
Theresa > wrote:
>Seth Breidbart wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Theresa > wrote:
>>> I can hang for a couple of minutes but I still can't do a chin-up.
>>
>> Now try hanging with your elbows bent.
>
>I do. I can do forehead thumps now, just can't quite get my chin over the
>bar.

How long can you hang at that top point?

Another trick: when you're at the top of what you think you can reach,
stop trying to lift yourself, but rather think of pushing your elbows
behind you.

Seth
--
I can't tell you how irritating it is to hear a yankee say "y'all" to a single
person. I've had to kill several of them because of that. -- Watson Davis

Theresa
October 2nd 03, 10:03 PM
Seth Breidbart wrote:
> In article >,
> Theresa > wrote:
>> Seth Breidbart wrote:
>>>
>>> Now try hanging with your elbows bent.
>>
>> I do. I can do forehead thumps now, just can't quite get my chin
>> over the bar.
>
> How long can you hang at that top point?

For ****ing ever.

Actually it's probably less than a minute, but it SEEMS like forever.

> Another trick: when you're at the top of what you think you can reach,
> stop trying to lift yourself, but rather think of pushing your elbows
> behind you.
>
> Seth

Cool, noted. I'll try it tomorrow.