PDA

View Full Version : New HST routine

Brown I Raider
September 17th 03, 12:50 PM
I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you guys
think about this routine.

M W F
Squats
Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
Standing Calf Raises
Pullups
Seated Rows
Curls

Tu Th S
Bench
Dips
Millies
Lateral Raises
Shrugs
Skullcrushers
Abs

I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
exercise.
Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.

What you fellas think???

Thanks
--
The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a rollicking song
he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten. He

Kirk Roy
September 17th 03, 12:55 PM
Brown I Raider > wrote:

> I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you guys
> think about this routine.
>
> M W F
> Squats
> Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
> Standing Calf Raises
> Pullups
> Seated Rows
> Curls
>

> Tu Th S
> Bench
> Dips
> Millies
> Lateral Raises
> Shrugs
> Skullcrushers
> Abs
>
> I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
> exercise.
> Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
>
> What you fellas think???
>
> Thanks
> --
> The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a rollicking song
> he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten. He
> wears a hooded sash. With his silver hat about his head, and a bristly black
> moustache. He growls as he storms the country. A villain big and bold. And
> the trees all shake and quiver and quake, as he robs them of their gold. The
> Autumn wind is a Raider. Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and
> upside down, and laugh when he's conquered and won! "John Facenda"

Roger Zoul
September 17th 03, 02:47 PM
you are trying to gain mass, right? do no more than 2 sets....with warmup on
the major movements.
keep the cardio light if you feel you need to do it at all....

Brown I Raider wrote:
:: I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what
:: you guys think about this routine.
::
[...]
:: --
:: The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a
:: rollicking song he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is
:: weather beaten. He wears a hooded sash. With his silver hat about
:: his head, and a bristly black moustache. He growls as he storms the
:: country. A villain big and bold. And the trees all shake and quiver
:: and quake, as he robs them of their gold. The Autumn wind is a
:: Raider. Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside
:: down, and laugh when he's conquered and won! "John Facenda"

buddhabellybum
September 17th 03, 07:23 PM
overtraining... keep it to three days a week full body or 4 days a week with
the first day upper body, second day lower body, rest the third day, fourth
day upper body and fifth day lower body.

Kurt

"Brown I Raider" > wrote in message
news:PTX9b.485795$o%[email protected]

> I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you
guys
> think about this routine.
>
> M W F
> Squats
> Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
> Standing Calf Raises
> Pullups
> Seated Rows
> Curls
>

> Tu Th S
> Bench
> Dips
> Millies
> Lateral Raises
> Shrugs
> Skullcrushers
> Abs
>
> I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
> exercise.
> Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
>
> What you fellas think???
>
> Thanks
> --
> The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a rollicking song
> he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten. He
> wears a hooded sash. With his silver hat about his head, and a bristly
black
> moustache. He growls as he storms the country. A villain big and bold. And
> the trees all shake and quiver and quake, as he robs them of their gold.
The
> Autumn wind is a Raider. Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round
and
> upside down, and laugh when he's conquered and won! "John Facenda"

buddhabellybum
September 17th 03, 07:25 PM
you will not build muscle mass with this routine... in fact, you'll
definitely overtrain and lose some muscle. when you work out, you're
tearing muscle fibers and on your day of rest, yoru body builds back these
fibers a bit stronger than before. this is actually when you build muscle.
it also gives your nervous system a break and a chance to recuperate.

this routine might sound like a good idea but you will not see much gains.

Kurt

"Brown I Raider" > wrote in message
news:PTX9b.485795$o%[email protected]

> I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you
guys
> think about this routine.
>
> M W F
> Squats
> Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
> Standing Calf Raises
> Pullups
> Seated Rows
> Curls
>

> Tu Th S
> Bench
> Dips
> Millies
> Lateral Raises
> Shrugs
> Skullcrushers
> Abs
>
> I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
> exercise.
> Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
>
> What you fellas think???
>
> Thanks
> --
> The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a rollicking song
> he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten. He
> wears a hooded sash. With his silver hat about his head, and a bristly
black
> moustache. He growls as he storms the country. A villain big and bold. And
> the trees all shake and quiver and quake, as he robs them of their gold.
The
> Autumn wind is a Raider. Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round
and
> upside down, and laugh when he's conquered and won! "John Facenda"

Lyle McDonald
September 17th 03, 08:01 PM
buddhabellybum wrote:

> you will not build muscle mass with this routine... in fact, you'll
> definitely overtrain and lose some muscle.

Definitely, huh?
You mean you can say that, without exception, someone will overtrain?

Wow, impressive.

> when you work out, you're
> tearing muscle fibers and on your day of rest, yoru body builds back these
> fibers a bit stronger than before. this is actually when you build muscle.
> it also gives your nervous system a break and a chance to recuperate.

Really, can you point me to some refs on this topic, I"d like to learn
more about how muscle grows.

Lyle

> this routine might sound like a good idea but you will not see much gains.
>
> Kurt
>
> "Brown I Raider" > wrote in message
> news:PTX9b.485795$o%[email protected]
> >
> > I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you
> guys
> > think about this routine.
> >
> > M W F
> > Squats
> > Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
> > Standing Calf Raises
> > Pullups
> > Seated Rows
> > Curls
> >

> > Tu Th S
> > Bench
> > Dips
> > Millies
> > Lateral Raises
> > Shrugs
> > Skullcrushers
> > Abs
> >
> > I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
> > exercise.
> > Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
> >
> > What you fellas think???
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a rollicking song
> > he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten. He
> > wears a hooded sash. With his silver hat about his head, and a bristly
> black
> > moustache. He growls as he storms the country. A villain big and bold. And
> > the trees all shake and quiver and quake, as he robs them of their gold.
> The
> > Autumn wind is a Raider. Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round
> and
> > upside down, and laugh when he's conquered and won! "John Facenda"

PatrickFalcon31
September 17th 03, 09:06 PM
>Subject: New HST routine
>From: "Brown I Raider"
>Date: 9/17/03 6:50 AM Central Daylight Time
>

>I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you guys
>think about this routine.
>
>M W F
>Squats
>Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
>Standing Calf Raises
>Pullups
>Seated Rows
>Curls
>

>Tu Th S
>Bench
>Dips
>Millies
>Lateral Raises
>Shrugs
>Skullcrushers
>Abs
>
>I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
>exercise.
>Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
>
>What you fellas think???

Just curious . . . how did you come up with the idea for this routine? Have
you seen anything similar from Bryan Haycock?

Patrick Falcon

Hoff
September 17th 03, 09:33 PM
"Brown I Raider" > wrote in message
news:PTX9b.485795$o%[email protected]

> I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you
guys
> think about this routine.
>
> M W F
> Squats
> Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
> Standing Calf Raises
> Pullups
> Seated Rows
> Curls
>

> Tu Th S
> Bench
> Dips
> Millies
> Lateral Raises
> Shrugs
> Skullcrushers
> Abs
>
> I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
> exercise.
> Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
>
> What you fellas think???

If it were me, I'd probably limit it to 2 sets, but I suppose 3 would work.

It really depends on intelligent weight choices. Doing 3 sets, you won't
for example be using a true 10RM; or at least, I couldn't do 3 sets of my
10RM. So you may need to adjust the weight down some.

Depending on how you squat, you may not be getting much quad work. I'd
probably add Front Squats on M W F.

Hoff

buddhabellybum
September 18th 03, 01:57 AM
> > you will not build muscle mass with this routine... in fact, you'll
> > definitely overtrain and lose some muscle.
>
> Definitely, huh?
> You mean you can say that, without exception, someone will overtrain?
>
> Wow, impressive.

I think so... 5 days a week straight no break in between and working some of
the same muscles consecutive days.

> > when you work out, you're
> > tearing muscle fibers and on your day of rest, yoru body builds back
these
> > fibers a bit stronger than before. this is actually when you build
muscle.
> > it also gives your nervous system a break and a chance to recuperate.
>
> Really, can you point me to some refs on this topic, I"d like to learn
> more about how muscle grows.

hey Lyle, if i'm wrong and spreading disinformation (albeit unknowlingly),
i'll gladly put my foot in my mouth if you tell me why i'm wrong.

Kurt

> Lyle
>
> > this routine might sound like a good idea but you will not see much
gains.

> > Kurt
> >
> > "Brown I Raider" > wrote in message
> > news:PTX9b.485795$o%[email protected]
> > >
> > > I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you
> > guys
> > > think about this routine.
> > >
> > > M W F
> > > Squats
> > > Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
> > > Standing Calf Raises
> > > Pullups
> > > Seated Rows
> > > Curls
> > >

> > > Tu Th S
> > > Bench
> > > Dips
> > > Millies
> > > Lateral Raises
> > > Shrugs
> > > Skullcrushers
> > > Abs
> > >
> > > I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of
each
> > > exercise.
> > > Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
> > >
> > > What you fellas think???
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > --
> > > The Autumn Wind is a pirate Blustering in from sea. With a rollicking
song
> > > he sweeps along swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten.
He
> > > wears a hooded sash. With his silver hat about his head, and a bristly
> > black
> > > moustache. He growls as he storms the country. A villain big and bold.
And
> > > the trees all shake and quiver and quake, as he robs them of their
gold.
> > The
> > > Autumn wind is a Raider. Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you
'round
> > and
> > > upside down, and laugh when he's conquered and won! "John Facenda"

Lyle McDonald
September 18th 03, 02:44 AM
buddhabellybum wrote:

> > > you will not build muscle mass with this routine... in fact, you'll
> > > definitely overtrain and lose some muscle.
> >
> > Definitely, huh?
> > You mean you can say that, without exception, someone will overtrain?
> >
> > Wow, impressive.
> >

> I think so... 5 days a week straight no break in between and working some of
> the same muscles consecutive days.

And yet real athletes and Olympic lifters do this ALL the time.
It's all about intensity and volume modulation.

> > > when you work out, you're
> > > tearing muscle fibers and on your day of rest, yoru body builds back
> these
> > > fibers a bit stronger than before. this is actually when you build
> muscle.
> > > it also gives your nervous system a break and a chance to recuperate.
> >
> > Really, can you point me to some refs on this topic, I"d like to learn
> > more about how muscle grows.
> >

> hey Lyle, if i'm wrong and spreading disinformation (albeit unknowlingly),
> i'll gladly put my foot in my mouth if you tell me why i'm wrong.

It's more fun to bait you for saying stupid ****.

Remember, I'd rather get laid than be helpful.

Lyle

R.Coyote
September 18th 03, 03:30 AM
every other day
2 sets

squats
bench
chins
dumbell OH press
yates rows
calves

get out of the gym in 45 min or less, dont go to failure, start with 15s
keep slowly adding weight till you cant do 5 fives easy, do a week of
negatives, take 10 days off , repeat.. eat like a madman, sleep 9 hours a
day

Peter Webb
September 18th 03, 02:09 PM
> It's more fun to bait you for saying stupid ****.
>
> Remember, I'd rather get laid than be helpful.
>
> Lyle

Somehow I don't think you are going to get laid - or would want to get
laid - with anybody who calls themselves "buddhabellybum".

buddhabellybum
September 18th 03, 02:58 PM
what's wrong with being a buddhabellybum? maybe he likes bums with big
bellies?

Kurt

"Peter Webb" > wrote in message
u...

> > It's more fun to bait you for saying stupid ****.
> >
> > Remember, I'd rather get laid than be helpful.
> >
> > Lyle
>
> Somehow I don't think you are going to get laid - or would want to get
> laid - with anybody who calls themselves "buddhabellybum".

Seth Breidbart
October 1st 03, 05:04 AM
In article <PTX9b.485795$o%[email protected]>,
Brown I Raider > wrote:

>I am going to start a HST routine. I would like some input on what you guys
>think about this routine.
>
>M W F
>Squats
>Leg Curls Alternating with SLDL
>Standing Calf Raises
>Pullups
>Seated Rows
>Curls
>
>Tu Th S
>Bench
>Dips
>Millies
>Lateral Raises
>Shrugs
>Skullcrushers
>Abs
>
>I am thinking of doing a 5 minute warmup on treadmill then 3 sets of each
>exercise.
>Possibly doing a 20 minute cardio after workout on TuThS.
>
>What you fellas think???

I think you'd be better off with an HST routine.

Seth
--
Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis