PDA

View Full Version : Which 3 muscle groups?


100% Isento De Toxinas
May 1st 05, 06:09 PM
If in an hypertrophy session you were to pick 3 muscle groups to work
which would they be and why?

I'm guessing chest, legs and back since if I were to select only 3
exercises to measure a guy's 1 rep maximum I'd probably pick bench
press, squat and lat pulldown but I may be off base here so I'm open
to suggestions.

André

Donovan Rebbechi
May 1st 05, 08:10 PM
On 2005-05-01, 100% Isento De Toxinas > wrote:
> If in an hypertrophy session you were to pick 3 muscle groups to work
> which would they be and why?

I think that's the wrong question to ask -- instead, work as many muscle
groups as possible with three distinct exercises or similar ... ? When
you want to get bang for your buck, you need to move to compound movements,
and that means an end to the "isolation"/"body part" paradigm.

Three distinct exercises ? Probably incline bench (pecs, delts, triceps),
power cleans (quads, hams, glutes, back, traps) and chins (supinated grip).
Could possibly sub powercleans with squats.

> I'm guessing chest, legs and back since if I were to select only 3
> exercises to measure a guy's 1 rep maximum I'd probably pick bench
> press, squat and lat pulldown but I may be off base here so I'm open
> to suggestions.

Pulldowns get tricky with much more than body weight (you've got to anchor the
body somehow). I find chins easier.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

JMW
May 1st 05, 10:08 PM
DZ > wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi > wrote:
>> Pulldowns get tricky with much more than body weight (you've got to
>> anchor the body somehow). I find chins easier.
>
>I have no problem anchoring, as some machines are well designed for
>that. But...
>
>I used to do lots of weighted pulldowns, in addition to bodyweght
>pullups. Then I got myself a dip belt with the weight holder (like
>this - http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html) and started doing weighted
>pullups/chins instead of the weighted pulldowns.
>
>The weight that I can now pull down with the weighted pulldowns
>increased much beyound what I could do by just practicing them. So it
>is somewhat contradictory to common sense - practice the target
>exercise to be good at it.

I had the same experience.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

Jim
May 1st 05, 11:41 PM
"JMW" > wrote in message
...
> DZ > wrote:
>>Donovan Rebbechi > wrote:
>>> Pulldowns get tricky with much more than body weight (you've got to
>>> anchor the body somehow). I find chins easier.
>>
>>I have no problem anchoring, as some machines are well designed for
>>that. But...
>>
>>I used to do lots of weighted pulldowns, in addition to bodyweght
>>pullups. Then I got myself a dip belt with the weight holder (like
>>this - http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html) and started doing weighted
>>pullups/chins instead of the weighted pulldowns.
>>
>>The weight that I can now pull down with the weighted pulldowns
>>increased much beyound what I could do by just practicing them. So it
>>is somewhat contradictory to common sense - practice the target
>>exercise to be good at it.
>
> I had the same experience.
> --

What is a good way to do weighted chinups at the gym?
Bring your own dip belt? I never seen anyone do it..I would stand out. I ask
only cuz I seem limited to 15 chins and would like to work some lower reps
with weight.

Jim

JMW
May 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
"Jim" > wrote:
>"JMW" > wrote:
>> DZ > wrote:
>>>Donovan Rebbechi > wrote:
>>>> Pulldowns get tricky with much more than body weight (you've got to
>>>> anchor the body somehow). I find chins easier.
>>>
>>>I have no problem anchoring, as some machines are well designed for
>>>that. But...
>>>
>>>I used to do lots of weighted pulldowns, in addition to bodyweght
>>>pullups. Then I got myself a dip belt with the weight holder (like
>>>this - http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html) and started doing weighted
>>>pullups/chins instead of the weighted pulldowns.
>>>
>>>The weight that I can now pull down with the weighted pulldowns
>>>increased much beyound what I could do by just practicing them. So it
>>>is somewhat contradictory to common sense - practice the target
>>>exercise to be good at it.
>>
>> I had the same experience.
>> --
>
>What is a good way to do weighted chinups at the gym?
>Bring your own dip belt? I never seen anyone do it..I would stand out.

<gasp!> You would "stand out"?!?! How embarrassing!!

Butch up. Buy a dip belt. Use it.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

Proton Soup
May 2nd 05, 03:16 AM
On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:50:56 -0400, JMW > wrote:

>"Jim" > wrote:
>>"JMW" > wrote:
>>> DZ > wrote:
>>>>Donovan Rebbechi > wrote:
>>>>> Pulldowns get tricky with much more than body weight (you've got to
>>>>> anchor the body somehow). I find chins easier.
>>>>
>>>>I have no problem anchoring, as some machines are well designed for
>>>>that. But...
>>>>
>>>>I used to do lots of weighted pulldowns, in addition to bodyweght
>>>>pullups. Then I got myself a dip belt with the weight holder (like
>>>>this - http://newyorkbarbells.tv/1100.html) and started doing weighted
>>>>pullups/chins instead of the weighted pulldowns.
>>>>
>>>>The weight that I can now pull down with the weighted pulldowns
>>>>increased much beyound what I could do by just practicing them. So it
>>>>is somewhat contradictory to common sense - practice the target
>>>>exercise to be good at it.
>>>
>>> I had the same experience.
>>> --
>>
>>What is a good way to do weighted chinups at the gym?
>>Bring your own dip belt? I never seen anyone do it..I would stand out.
>
><gasp!> You would "stand out"?!?! How embarrassing!!
>
>Butch up. Buy a dip belt. Use it.

Maybe he'd be less conspicuous if he popped a boner and stacked
weights on his penis.

-----------
Proton Soup

"And all this peace has been deceiving,
I need some wind to get me sailing"

Jay
May 3rd 05, 06:37 PM
"100% Isento De Toxinas" > wrote in message
om...
> If in an hypertrophy session you were to pick 3 muscle groups to work
> which would they be and why?
>
> I'm guessing chest, legs and back since if I were to select only 3
> exercises to measure a guy's 1 rep maximum I'd probably pick bench
> press, squat and lat pulldown but I may be off base here so I'm open
> to suggestions.
>
> André

I alternate three exercise for the bulk of my training. I also use a
different three on each session, sometimes two different, sometimes three.

Squat
Incline press, narrow 16" grip or so,
neutral grip chins.
----------------------
deadlift
bench
seated vertical row
------------
push press
pull ups
squat or deadlift, whichever I didn't use last.

set up weight and alternate between the three, sometimes more sets than
others.
warm up with progressing weight hang snatch, into hang clean.

weight I vary session to session, terminating sets with a marked decrease in
technique or rep speed.

find what you like, use whatever hits the most area, and enjoy.