PDA

View Full Version : $35,000 dollar cab fare....

Henry
May 4th 05, 12:28 AM
Remember, it's *your* money......

"Published on Monday, May 2, 2005 by The Nation
Off the Meter
A $35,000 Cab Ride in Baghdad

by Ari Berman

Last November, a security consultant told David Corn that a six-mile
cab ride from Central Baghdad to Baghdad International Airport cost
$6,000. Now it's up to $35,000. Read what New York Times Iraq
correspondent Dexter Filkins recently told NBC Meet the Press host Tim
Russert:

"RUSSERT: There is a road, a highway from the airport to downtown
Baghdad that's called the Road of Death by many. I understand there's
a taxi service on that road to take someone from downtown to the airport.

FILKINS: Yeah. There's actually a company in Baghdad that does nothing
except offer rides to the airport and back. They've got armored cars
and some guards. And they charge $35,000 for...

RUSSERT: Thirty-five thousand dollars?

FILKINS: For a ride to the airport. And I think you know, if you miss
your plane and you have to come back, it's another $35,000.But...

RUSSERT: How long--is it six miles?

FILKINS: I think it's about six miles, yeah. It's not a happy six
miles. So, you know, they earn their money."

-

"Brutal and sadistic? By what girly-man standards? Compared
to how Saddam treated his prisoners, a bit of humiliation was
a walk in the park. AFAIK, No one died or even lost any blood."
-Albert Nurick, a usenet kook and blatant liar, on the rape,
torture and murder at bu$h's Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them. And then
he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did."
-- George W. Bush

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the
will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the
Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
-- Adolf Hitler

"The tsunami was a wonderful opportunity to show not just the
US government, but the heart of the American people, and I think
it has paid great dividends for us." Condoleezza Rice

"One of the things we don't want to do is destroy the
infrastructure in Iraq because in a few days we're going
to own that country," - Tom Brokaw

Cost of probing Bill Clinton's sex life: $65 million.
Cost of probing the Columbia shuttle disaster: $50 million.
Funds assigned to independent Sept. 11 panel: $3 million.

http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.truthout.org/
http://thirdworldtraveler.com/
http://counterpunch.org/
http://responsiblewealth.org/

"After all, it is the leaders of the country who determine
the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the
people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the
bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to
do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the
peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country
to danger. It works the same in any country."
-- Hermann Goering, President of the Reichstag, Nazi Party, and
Luftwaffe Commander in Chief

or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"You know, when bu$h said that he's against nation building,
I didn't realize that he meant only the United States"
-- Al Franken

Don't let bu$h do to the United States what his very close
friend and top campaign contributor, Ken Lay, did to Enron...

Andrew
May 4th 05, 01:48 AM
Henry wrote:
> Remember, it's *your* money......
>

> http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0502-29.htm
>

> "Published on Monday, May 2, 2005 by The Nation
> Off the Meter
> A $35,000 Cab Ride in Baghdad
>
> by Ari Berman
>
> Last November, a security consultant told David Corn that a six-mile
> cab ride from Central Baghdad to Baghdad International Airport cost
> $6,000. Now it's up to $35,000. Read what New York Times Iraq
> correspondent Dexter Filkins recently told NBC Meet the Press host Tim
> Russert:
>
> "RUSSERT: There is a road, a highway from the airport to downtown
> Baghdad that's called the Road of Death by many. I understand there's
> a taxi service on that road to take someone from downtown to the airport.
>
> FILKINS: Yeah. There's actually a company in Baghdad that does nothing
> except offer rides to the airport and back. They've got armored cars
> and some guards. And they charge $35,000 for...
>
> RUSSERT: Thirty-five thousand dollars?
>
> FILKINS: For a ride to the airport. And I think you know, if you miss
> your plane and you have to come back, it's another $35,000.But...
>
> RUSSERT: How long--is it six miles?
>
> FILKINS: I think it's about six miles, yeah. It's not a happy six
> miles. So, you know, they earn their money."

I'd rather spend the money on the vomit comet.

--
Andrew
00 Speed Triple

Rob Kleinschmidt
May 4th 05, 03:02 AM
Henry wrote:

> Last November, a security consultant told David Corn that a six-mile
> cab ride from Central Baghdad to Baghdad International Airport cost
> $6,000. Now it's up to $35,000.

Including tip I hope.