PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift form

May 24th 05, 07:50 PM
Hi,

When I do deadlifts with a lot of weight, I feel like my hips come up
first and then I do a Good Morning-type exercise to get into standing
position.

I take it that's bad. How can I fix that? I squatting down more and
keeping my back arched and shoulders back and that helped somewhat, but
I'm still using my lower back more than I'd like to.

Suggestions?

Kyle Burnam
May 24th 05, 09:11 PM
I usually have the same problem as you've described. My resolution is
to try and concentrate on keeping the hips low to the ground and as
close to the bar as possible, while trying to focus on using my legs
rather than my lower back. This isn't as much of a problem when I'm
doing higher reps (8) but when I'm doing lower repetitions (4) with
more weight it seems to be more of a problem. Something to think
about...

/kyle burnam

Peter Allen
May 24th 05, 09:40 PM
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I do deadlifts with a lot of weight, I feel like my hips come up
> first and then I do a Good Morning-type exercise to get into standing
> position.
>
> I take it that's bad. How can I fix that? I squatting down more and
> keeping my back arched and shoulders back and that helped somewhat,
> but I'm still using my lower back more than I'd like to.

What worked for me was:

look up, not down at the bar.

think about using glutes+hams to push your butt forwards and down, just use
your quads to stop your butt from actually going down.

Peter

Hobbes
May 25th 05, 02:57 AM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I do deadlifts with a lot of weight, I feel like my hips come up
> first and then I do a Good Morning-type exercise to get into standing
> position.
>
> I take it that's bad. How can I fix that? I squatting down more and
> keeping my back arched and shoulders back and that helped somewhat, but
> I'm still using my lower back more than I'd like to.
>
> Suggestions?

Imagery in the conventional deadlift can help. The idea is to imagine the
bar as fixed and you are trying to use the fixed bar to drive your feet
through the floor.

--
Keith

Jeff Finlayson
May 25th 05, 04:58 AM
joevandyk wrote:

> Hi,
> When I do deadlifts with a lot of weight, I feel like my hips come up
> first and then I do a Good Morning-type exercise to get into standing
> position.
>
> I take it that's bad. How can I fix that? I squatting down more and
> keeping my back arched and shoulders back and that helped somewhat, but
> I'm still using my lower back more than I'd like to.
> Suggestions?

Focus as best you can on keeping your hips down. Also start driving
your hips forward almost as soon as the bar comes off the floor.

Don Muraco
May 25th 05, 07:40 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

The true answer is to just throw caution to the wind and go all out on
deadlift. If you feel sharp pain in your back, just keep going. If anything,
the more pain you feel, the harder you should be working. No pain, no gain.

Charles
May 25th 05, 09:09 AM

wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> When I do deadlifts with a lot of weight, I feel like my hips come up
>> first and then I do a Good Morning-type exercise to get into standing
>> position.
>>
>> I take it that's bad. How can I fix that? I squatting down more and
>> keeping my back arched and shoulders back and that helped somewhat, but
>> I'm still using my lower back more than I'd like to.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
>Imagery in the conventional deadlift can help. The idea is to imagine the
>bar as fixed and you are trying to use the fixed bar to drive your feet
>through the floor.

A good definition which with average imagination would enable the
lifter to see correct form, because there really is no other way to
achieve the lift properly.

The bar has got to come up as close to the body as possible, in as
near vertical transition as possible, and the lifter has to
accommodate the bar throughout the full range.

The only safety tip that imagery won't generate is that the back
should be straight or 'hollowed' with the head slightly back and
looking up.

Steve Freides
May 25th 05, 02:39 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> When I do deadlifts with a lot of weight, I feel like my hips come up
> first and then I do a Good Morning-type exercise to get into standing
> position.
>
> I take it that's bad. How can I fix that? I squatting down more and
> keeping my back arched and shoulders back and that helped somewhat,
> but
> I'm still using my lower back more than I'd like to.
>
> Suggestions?

We had a discussion here a while back that the "Pavel" style of
deadlifting isn't as different from the conventional style because in
the latter the bar doesn't start to move until the hips get up to a
certain point, anyway. It's something to think about, and you might
want to check out Pavel's "Power To The People!"
http://www.kbnj.com/ptp.htm and read what he's got to say on the
subject. I mention all this because if your hips aren't moving up at
all when you start your deadlift, which is how Pavel recommends it, it's
a lot harder to get into the kind of trouble you describe.

Allow me to second Keith's suggestion of pushing the floor away with
your feet - that idea helps me a lot and I know I'm not the only one.

It's also worth mentioning that many fine deadlifters round their backs,
and developing some round-back strength might be a good thing. That's
different than letting your hips come up first, of course, but one of
the results of the hips coming up first is often a rounded lower back.
I know, for me with a history of a bad back, I've recently started
incorporating some rounded back work into my training. It's taken me a
long time to come as far as I have and I'm certainly starting light, but
it's worth thinking about if for no reason other than it can lower the
possibility of serious injury when and if you get into a less than ideal
position with your back.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

fj
May 26th 05, 01:41 AM
I use barbell pad. You can see people use it for squat. The good thing is I
can pull the bar as close as I can to my shin bone without hurting me.

-fj

rev
May 26th 05, 10:28 AM
fj wrote:
> I use barbell pad. You can see people use it for squat. The good thing is I
> can pull the bar as close as I can to my shin bone without hurting me.
>
> -fj

And this is normal stance so that your grip is on the outer sides of the
pad and not gripping the pad itself? Interesting.

--
Bob Volkmer
[email protected]

fj
May 26th 05, 07:56 PM
"rev" *an*> wrote in message
> fj wrote:
> > I use barbell pad. You can see people use it for squat. The good thing
is I
> > can pull the bar as close as I can to my shin bone without hurting me.
> >
> > -fj
> >

> And this is normal stance so that your grip is on the outer sides of the
> pad and not gripping the pad itself? Interesting.
>
> --
> Bob Volkmer
> [email protected]

Yes, about shoulder wide. Isn't that normal?
-fj