PDA

View Full Version : anyone here ever use a chiropractor?

jurgen jorgenson
June 6th 05, 10:23 PM
Up till lately I have usually considered them as "quack-o-practors",
mostly because almost 100% of the people I know that go to them always
seem to "have to" go back for "adjustments" - can the human body be so
far out of whack it needs regular alignments??

But a week or so ago I pinched a nerve somewhere(in my neck) somehow and
totally lost mobility in my left arm and shoulder, and the pain in my
left arm was so intense I had to hold the weight off of it with my right
hand and if I let go fast it was like a hot knife was just stuck in and
turned. Initially I went to my Dr. and he gave me some very strong
anti-inflammatory pills to take, I took one right away but the effect
was nada and by evening the pain was unbearable and I ended up in emerg.
where they gave me a shot of demorall and 2 T3's to get me thru the
night, and scheduled me for neck x-rays the next day. The next morning
was just as bad after the demorall and T3's wore off and I got my x-rays
done and met with the Dr again, he gave me another script for flexoral
muscle relaxants and said those would let me sleep at night till things
got back to normal. Well, that night I took one with the anti
inflammatory and there was no noticeable effect, so I took another and 2
extra strength tylenols and that was enough to knock me out for the
night. The next night was a repeat so on the third morning I said screw
it and called the local chiropractor. They got me in that afternoon and
I could just feel the pain coming on again (it was usually somewhat
better in the am). First he ran some hokey wheeled contraption up my
back that gave a computer readout of supposed temperatures it measured
on each side of the spine, it showed higher than normal temps on the bad
side. Then he gave my neck a good crank each way, then had me lie down
on my back and gave my left shoulder a wicked crank as well. Well.
despite my skepticism within about 1/2 hour it was feeling way better,
two more visits spaced a few days apart and now it is barely noticeable.

Who knows, perhaps it would have gone away anyway at that time, but at
the time it sure didnt feel like it was.

Anyone else here use chiropractic?

June 6th 05, 10:27 PM
>Anyone else here use chiropractic?

No, weightlifters are all sane.

June 6th 05, 10:34 PM
jurgen jorgenson wrote:
> Up till lately I have usually considered them as "quack-o-practors",
> mostly because almost 100% of the people I know that go to them always
> seem to "have to" go back for "adjustments" - can the human body be so
> far out of whack it needs regular alignments??
>
> But a week or so ago I pinched a nerve somewhere(in my neck) somehow and
> totally lost mobility in my left arm and shoulder, and the pain in my
> left arm was so intense I had to hold the weight off of it with my right
> hand and if I let go fast it was like a hot knife was just stuck in and
> turned. Initially I went to my Dr. and he gave me some very strong
> anti-inflammatory pills to take, I took one right away but the effect
> was nada and by evening the pain was unbearable and I ended up in emerg.
> where they gave me a shot of demorall and 2 T3's to get me thru the
> night, and scheduled me for neck x-rays the next day. The next morning
> was just as bad after the demorall and T3's wore off and I got my x-rays
> done and met with the Dr again, he gave me another script for flexoral
> muscle relaxants and said those would let me sleep at night till things
> got back to normal. Well, that night I took one with the anti
> inflammatory and there was no noticeable effect, so I took another and 2
> extra strength tylenols and that was enough to knock me out for the
> night. The next night was a repeat so on the third morning I said screw
> it and called the local chiropractor. They got me in that afternoon and
> I could just feel the pain coming on again (it was usually somewhat
> better in the am). First he ran some hokey wheeled contraption up my
> back that gave a computer readout of supposed temperatures it measured
> on each side of the spine, it showed higher than normal temps on the bad
> side. Then he gave my neck a good crank each way, then had me lie down
> on my back and gave my left shoulder a wicked crank as well. Well.
> despite my skepticism within about 1/2 hour it was feeling way better,
> two more visits spaced a few days apart and now it is barely noticeable.
>
> Who knows, perhaps it would have gone away anyway at that time, but at
> the time it sure didnt feel like it was.
>
> Anyone else here use chiropractic?

Many chiro's are quacks, some are not. The one I use on ocassion also
has a degree in sports medicine and is an athlete. He has helped me
many times with sore shoulder, ankle etc. Most took about 3-5 visits.

June 6th 05, 11:09 PM
>Who knows, perhaps it would have gone away anyway at that time, but at
the time it sure didnt feel like it was.>

One study found that a year later most problems corrected themselves.
So what do you think of waiting a year in that pain? See why chiros are
useful now? They save you a ton of pain and suffering, and also fix
certain things MD's can't.

>Anyone else here use chiropractic?>

HELL NO! Nobody here is dumb enough to go to one of those quacks LOL

June 6th 05, 11:11 PM
>Many chiro's are quacks, some are not.>

Agreed! The yonger they are, the more likely they are quacks. Older
ones who literally came from "the old school" are far better. New
chiros spend more time learning how to make money, than they do
learning anatomy.
Find a old fart, he'll treat you right.

David Cohen
June 6th 05, 11:19 PM
"jurgen jorgenson" > wrote

> Anyone else here use chiropractic?

Just came from mine.

Good ones know that they are very advanced massage/physical therapists, and
work accordingly.

The quacks adjust your spine to cure your pancreatic cancer.

Relatively easy to separate them.

David

Monique Y. Mudama
June 7th 05, 12:09 AM
On 2005-06-06, jurgen jorgenson penned:
> Up till lately I have usually considered them as "quack-o-practors",
> mostly because almost 100% of the people I know that go to them
> always seem to "have to" go back for "adjustments" - can the human
> body be so far out of whack it needs regular alignments??

I was also very skeptical, but a few of my friends were singing the
praises of this one chiro ...

Well, anyway, I do end up going for adjustments regularly. I have a
posture problem, and continued visits have done for me what years of
my mom telling me to "Sit up straight!" could not. I also engage in a
lot of impact-heavy activities: ice hockey, mountain biking, downhill
skiing ... anyway, with all that I do, I do think that regular
adjustments help. And to top it all off, the actual reason I went is
because over the course of a year, I'd gone from no back pain to
daily, severe lower back pain. I no longer have that, although my
lower back is still the first part of my body to let me know when I'm
stressed about something.

That being said, follow your gut. If you think your chiro is a quack,
s/he probably is. If you just can't get your brain around recurring
visits, don't do them.

--
monique

Lee Michaels
June 7th 05, 12:52 AM
"jurgen jorgenson" wrote

<snip chiro story>

Just a hint.

When somebody performs a wonderful service for you like this chiropractor
did, you don't run to a newsgroup and sound ungrateful. Like you both did
something wrong. You were in pain. He fixed it. What is so difficult to
understand?

Curt James
June 7th 05, 01:20 AM
jurgen jorgenson wrote:

> Anyone else here use chiropractic?

My family went to a neighborhood chiropractor when I was a teen, but I
always considered them... I believe the technical term is hooey or
maybe baloney. Plus, at that time I had no aches and pains to speak of.

Fast forward a few decades, I had pain in my neck which eventually
began to radiate out along my right shoulder. I suffered with it for a
few weeks hoping it would /just go away/.

Fortunately, I noticed an advertisement in a coupon magazine I'd
received in the mail. The ad was for a free visit to Becker
Chiropractic in Lemoyne, PA, USA. I took the coupon, my pain-wracked
neck and shoulder and drove over to Becker's office.

http://harrisburg.citysearch.com/profile/8745598/lemoyne_pa/becker_brian_dc_becker_chiropractic.html

To make a long story even LONGER: Brian Becker felt along my spine,
*told me* where I was feeling the pain, made an adjustment and *BAM!* I
swear it was as if someone had flipped a switch. The pain disappeared
immediately. Immediately.

Becker recommended follow-up visits, but I never returned. Well, until
I moved some desks at school weeks later and undid whatever he'd done
so far as aligning whatever it was he had aligned.

I have no regular schedule, but I do count chiropractic as an
appropriate option for pain relief as well as health maintenance.

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

John Hanson
June 7th 05, 02:20 AM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:23:59 GMT, jurgen jorgenson >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Up till lately I have usually considered them as "quack-o-practors",
>mostly because almost 100% of the people I know that go to them always
>seem to "have to" go back for "adjustments" - can the human body be so
>far out of whack it needs regular alignments??
>
>But a week or so ago I pinched a nerve somewhere(in my neck) somehow and
>totally lost mobility in my left arm and shoulder, and the pain in my
>left arm was so intense I had to hold the weight off of it with my right
>hand and if I let go fast it was like a hot knife was just stuck in and
>turned. Initially I went to my Dr. and he gave me some very strong
>anti-inflammatory pills to take, I took one right away but the effect
>was nada and by evening the pain was unbearable and I ended up in emerg.
>where they gave me a shot of demorall and 2 T3's to get me thru the
>night, and scheduled me for neck x-rays the next day. The next morning
>was just as bad after the demorall and T3's wore off and I got my x-rays
>done and met with the Dr again, he gave me another script for flexoral
>muscle relaxants and said those would let me sleep at night till things
>got back to normal. Well, that night I took one with the anti
>inflammatory and there was no noticeable effect, so I took another and 2
>extra strength tylenols and that was enough to knock me out for the
>night. The next night was a repeat so on the third morning I said screw
>it and called the local chiropractor. They got me in that afternoon and
>I could just feel the pain coming on again (it was usually somewhat
>better in the am). First he ran some hokey wheeled contraption up my
>back that gave a computer readout of supposed temperatures it measured
>on each side of the spine, it showed higher than normal temps on the bad
>side. Then he gave my neck a good crank each way, then had me lie down
>on my back and gave my left shoulder a wicked crank as well. Well.
>despite my skepticism within about 1/2 hour it was feeling way better,
>two more visits spaced a few days apart and now it is barely noticeable.
>
>Who knows, perhaps it would have gone away anyway at that time, but at
>the time it sure didnt feel like it was.
>
>Anyone else here use chiropractic?

I just had my last visit with Dr. Clary. He cracked me and said I was
done...I don't need to go back. I also had a massage by a beautiful
young women who tested my tolerance to pain to the very limit. She
broke up a ton of scar tissue in my upper back. My back hasn't felt
this good in almost two years.

Lee Michaels
June 7th 05, 02:31 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote

> I just had my last visit with Dr. Clary. He cracked me and said I was
> done...I don't need to go back. I also had a massage by a beautiful
> young women who tested my tolerance to pain to the very limit. She
> broke up a ton of scar tissue in my upper back. My back hasn't felt
> this good in almost two years.

Well John, you can not deny destiny.

You will soon be a dominatrix's willing slave.

Think of it as "therapy".

Steve Freides
June 7th 05, 03:11 AM
"jurgen jorgenson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Up till lately I have usually considered them as "quack-o-practors",
> mostly because almost 100% of the people I know that go to them always
> seem to "have to" go back for "adjustments" - can the human body be so
> far out of whack it needs regular alignments??
>
> But a week or so ago I pinched a nerve somewhere(in my neck) somehow
> and totally lost mobility in my left arm and shoulder, and the pain in
> my left arm was so intense I had to hold the weight off of it with my
> right hand and if I let go fast it was like a hot knife was just stuck
> in and turned. Initially I went to my Dr. and he gave me some very
> strong anti-inflammatory pills to take, I took one right away but the
> effect was nada and by evening the pain was unbearable and I ended up
> in emerg. where they gave me a shot of demorall and 2 T3's to get me
> thru the night, and scheduled me for neck x-rays the next day. The
> next morning was just as bad after the demorall and T3's wore off and
> I got my x-rays done and met with the Dr again, he gave me another
> script for flexoral muscle relaxants and said those would let me sleep
> at night till things got back to normal. Well, that night I took one
> with the anti inflammatory and there was no noticeable effect, so I
> took another and 2 extra strength tylenols and that was enough to
> knock me out for the night. The next night was a repeat so on the
> third morning I said screw it and called the local chiropractor. They
> got me in that afternoon and I could just feel the pain coming on
> again (it was usually somewhat better in the am). First he ran some
> hokey wheeled contraption up my back that gave a computer readout of
> supposed temperatures it measured on each side of the spine, it showed
> higher than normal temps on the bad side. Then he gave my neck a good
> crank each way, then had me lie down on my back and gave my left
> shoulder a wicked crank as well. Well. despite my skepticism within
> about 1/2 hour it was feeling way better, two more visits spaced a few
> days apart and now it is barely noticeable.
>
> Who knows, perhaps it would have gone away anyway at that time, but at
> the time it sure didnt feel like it was.
>
> Anyone else here use chiropractic?

I haven't but I have nothing against them in principle (other than
what's already been said - some are quacks, but so are some physicians).
And since you found a chiro who's helped you, what's not to like?

For anyone reading, if you can find an osteopath, they are the
functional equivalent of physicians in the US - can do all the same
sorts of things - but spinal manipulation is part of their training as
well. The only time I had my neck cracked was by a Canadian
physiotherapist, and he explained that he didn't care for chiropractors
as a rule. He thought the training osteopathic physicians received in
the US in the manipulation of the spine was much better. Since I'm none
of these things, I couldn't really understand the reasoning behind his
opinion, but he's a good guy and he fixed something that had been "out"
in my neck for 20 years. I was interested, and very pleased, to hear
from him that I was doing a fine job of keeping the rest of my f#$%ed-up
spine in good working order - nothing for him to manipulate/crack, he
said.

After my Canadian physio friend cracked my neck, I went looking for
osteopaths near where I live, but the one I found said the insurance was
too expensive to include spinal manipulation in his practice so he just
didn't do it.

Just my opinion, part of it second-hand; your mileage may vary.

Last but not least, about the only good thing about having a bad back is
that you learn to manipulate your own spine - it's either that or some
combination of near-constant pain, frequent doctor visits, and pills.
Get yourself something by Pavel Tsatsouline, Steve Maxwell, or Thomas
Kurz (and I'm sure there are others; these are just the ones I'm
familiar with) on the subject of joint health, follow their advice on
how to put your joints, including your neck and shoulders, through a
full range of motion daily, and you'll be less likely to have problems
like this. I recommend Pavel's "Super Joints",
http://www.kbnj.com/sj.htm.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

John Hanson
June 7th 05, 03:22 AM
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:31:19 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"John Hanson" > wrote
>>
>> I just had my last visit with Dr. Clary. He cracked me and said I was
>> done...I don't need to go back. I also had a massage by a beautiful
>> young women who tested my tolerance to pain to the very limit. She
>> broke up a ton of scar tissue in my upper back. My back hasn't felt
>> this good in almost two years.
>
>Well John, you can not deny destiny.
>
>You will soon be a dominatrix's willing slave.
>
>Think of it as "therapy".

hehe

Brian Link
June 7th 05, 03:50 AM
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:11:19 -0400, "Steve Freides"
> [...]

>osteopaths near where I live, but the one I found said the insurance was
>too expensive to include spinal manipulation in his practice so he just
>didn't do it.
>
>Just my opinion, part of it second-hand; your mileage may vary.
>
>Last but not least, about the only good thing about having a bad back is
>that you learn to manipulate your own spine - it's either that or some
>combination of near-constant pain, frequent doctor visits, and pills.
>Get yourself something by Pavel Tsatsouline, Steve Maxwell, or Thomas
>Kurz (and I'm sure there are others; these are just the ones I'm
>familiar with) on the subject of joint health, follow their advice on
>how to put your joints, including your neck and shoulders, through a
>full range of motion daily, and you'll be less likely to have problems
>like this. I recommend Pavel's "Super Joints",

Oh poor Steve. You must be so inured to criticism here that you feel
free to speak your mind and recount your experiences without fear of
knuckle-draggers tearing you to pieces.

These facts alone have earned my respect.. =)

FWIW - I could tell my own story of quack chiropractice from inside
its own training, but nobody listens to me here. I would second the
suggestion for a trained osteopath. I would only add the
qualifications that they've trained for 30 years or more, and charge
little. Also, you should ask any potential osteopath "does this work",
and if they answer "absolutely" and hand you their book, turn and run.
If they say something like "I'm always looking for new solutions" then
give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also look into Rolfing (otherwise known as "Structural Integration"),
which has some decent clinical study behind it - though it deals in
soft rather than bony tissue.

BLink

Steve Freides
June 7th 05, 01:53 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>that you learn to manipulate your own spine - it's either that or some
>>combination of near-constant pain, frequent doctor visits, and pills.
>>Get yourself something by Pavel Tsatsouline, Steve Maxwell, or Thomas
>>Kurz (and I'm sure there are others; these are just the ones I'm
>>familiar with) on the subject of joint health, follow their advice on
>>how to put your joints, including your neck and shoulders, through a
>>full range of motion daily, and you'll be less likely to have problems
>>like this. I recommend Pavel's "Super Joints",
>>http://www.kbnj.com/sj.htm.
>>
>>-S-
>>http://www.kbnj.com
>>

> Oh poor Steve. You must be so inured to criticism here that you feel
> free to speak your mind and recount your experiences without fear of
> knuckle-draggers tearing you to pieces.
>
> These facts alone have earned my respect.. =)

:)

God gave us killfiles for a reason.

> FWIW - I could tell my own story of quack chiropractice from inside
> its own training, but nobody listens to me here. I would second the
> suggestion for a trained osteopath. I would only add the
> qualifications that they've trained for 30 years or more, and charge
> little. Also, you should ask any potential osteopath "does this work",
> and if they answer "absolutely" and hand you their book, turn and run.
> If they say something like "I'm always looking for new solutions" then
> give them the benefit of the doubt.
>
> Also look into Rolfing (otherwise known as "Structural Integration"),
> which has some decent clinical study behind it - though it deals in
> soft rather than bony tissue.

There are lots of good things out there, e.g., I've heard nothing but
good things about this stuff:

http://www.activerelease.com/about.asp

(which seems to have some sort of chiropractic connection but it's not
clear exactly what that is), but I've never tried it myself. Caveat
emptor - everyone should do their homework, ask around, and decide for
themselves what to try and what not to try. I actually eventually did
find an osteopath who does spinal manipulations in my area, but I didn't
like the sound of him over the phone, and decided not to go.

I have no idea if, as a rule, osteopaths are any better or worse than
chiropractors. It just that, as my Canadian physiotherapist friend
explained it to me, his own training in spinal manipulation was along
similar lines to what osteopaths do in the US, and he felt it was a
better approach/philosophy than chiropractic. Like I said earlier, I
have no clue and, to date, haven't had my spine touched by either.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

June 7th 05, 04:46 PM
>When somebody performs a wonderful service for you like this chiropractor
did, you don't run to a newsgroup and sound ungrateful. Like you both
did
something wrong. You were in pain. He fixed it. What is so difficult
understand?>

You moron, he praised the guy.

June 7th 05, 04:48 PM
John "homo" Hanson wrote:
> I also had a massage by a beautiful young women>

I bet it creeped you out eh? Having a female touch you?

June 7th 05, 04:49 PM
>For anyone reading, if you can find an osteopath, they are the
functional equivalent of physicians in the US - can do all the same
sorts of things - but spinal manipulation is part of their training as
well.>

Agreed! They are 100x better than chiros.

Some Guy
June 7th 05, 06:57 PM
"jurgen jorgenson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Up till lately I have usually considered them as "quack-o-practors",
> mostly because almost 100% of the people I know that go to them always
> seem to "have to" go back for "adjustments" - can the human body be so far
> out of whack it needs regular alignments??

Not if all you do is lie there all day in a coma. However, if you (like
most people) move around during the course of the day, then yes it can need
regular alignment. Usually when people go to a chiropractor, it's because
their body has fallen so far out of proper alignment that they are in pain
or have a lack of mobility. Chiropractic adjustment helps to increase
mobility and reduce pain by adjusting the alignment of joints, vertebrae,
etc to return them to their proper function. Initially you will need
readjustment a few times a week, stretching to a few times a month, after
2-3 months. After that, it depends on the individual. If you continue to
hurt your body by maintaining bad posture, or other body positioning that is
detrimental to your condition, then you will continue to have pain and
reduced mobility.

I used to see a DCH once a week for chronic back pain. After starting a
fairly intense kung-fu program, after 6 months I didn't need to see the DCH,
and he agreed that the training was doing a lot for my condition.

Big Chris
June 8th 05, 07:34 AM
Can you claim that for your insurance then?

:-)

My Chiro is in Plymouth, but I haven't gone in over a year. Decided it
wasn't helping my problem. Only quitting my job will fix that.

Big Chris

>> Well John, you can not deny destiny.
>>
>> You will soon be a dominatrix's willing slave.
>>
>> Think of it as "therapy".
>>
> hehe

Fraser Johnston
June 8th 05, 09:27 AM
"jurgen jorgenson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Anyone else here use chiropractic?

I used one when I hurt my back at Ju Jitsu. It was healed up within a week
of regular visits. After each visit I felt noticably better. The guy was
the team Chiro for a Rugby team. I also saw a Ronnie Coleman vid where he
was going to the Chiro and said they helped him win all those comps. I
guess than can work for short term stuff but the whole regular adjustment
thing is a bit of a scam. I also think in the US it tends to be more snake
oil merchants than here in Australia.

Fraser

John Hanson
June 8th 05, 03:13 PM
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 01:34:25 -0500, "Big Chris" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>Can you claim that for your insurance then?
>
>:-)
>
>My Chiro is in Plymouth, but I haven't gone in over a year. Decided it
>wasn't helping my problem. Only quitting my job will fix that.

What is your problem? The one I used in Cottage Grove I think fixed
my problem after about 8 sessions and then it got unfixed with my next
heavy squat. Clary, in Roseville, fixed my problem in one session
basically but I think things got a little out of whack at my meet
again. After another 3 sessions with him and one with a masseuse, I
feel like I'm "cured". I'll take the quick, painful remedy before the
slow, pain free fix anyday.

What kind of work do you do?