PDA

View Full Version : Re: Squats

Jay
September 30th 03, 08:29 PM
I can't remember who prescribed it, but they would have their people when
learning to squat do it weightless, and sit in the bottom position, heels
firmly on the ground, for minutes at a time. He also had them do what I now
know is called dumbell swings.
Time. perfect practice makes perfect.
"PackFan" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have been doing squats for about 2-3 months now and have been going up
in
> weight quite a bit. I am tall with long legs however and have never been
> able to go all the way down into a full squat position because my heels
seem
> to lift off the floor. I have been going to about parallel. I read that
> going deeper is much better to build muscle and also better on the knees.
> Would putting something under my heels, like a board or a 25lb plate be
good
> to do? Safe etc..?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

AngryWhiteMan
October 1st 03, 01:15 PM
Yeah it is perfectly safe to use those objects under your heels. Probably
better for you anyway then tripping!!!!
"PackFan" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have been doing squats for about 2-3 months now and have been going up
in
> weight quite a bit. I am tall with long legs however and have never been
> able to go all the way down into a full squat position because my heels
seem
> to lift off the floor. I have been going to about parallel. I read that
> going deeper is much better to build muscle and also better on the knees.
> Would putting something under my heels, like a board or a 25lb plate be
good
> to do? Safe etc..?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

PackFan
October 1st 03, 04:36 PM
Thanks.

"AngryWhiteMan" > wrote in message
u...
> Yeah it is perfectly safe to use those objects under your heels. Probably
> better for you anyway then tripping!!!!
> "PackFan" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I have been doing squats for about 2-3 months now and have been going up
> in
> > weight quite a bit. I am tall with long legs however and have never been
> > able to go all the way down into a full squat position because my heels
> seem
> > to lift off the floor. I have been going to about parallel. I read that
> > going deeper is much better to build muscle and also better on the
knees.
> > Would putting something under my heels, like a board or a 25lb plate be
> good
> > to do? Safe etc..?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris.

PackFan
October 1st 03, 04:38 PM
It's not a flexibilty issue. I can easily get into the deep squat position,
but because my legs are so long, it makes me unbalanced and tips me forward.
With or without weight.

"plat4" > wrote in message

> Do exercises to loosen up your Achilles tendon, ham strings and lower
back.
> You'll be able to squat deeper......guaranteed.

Dan Finn
October 1st 03, 07:08 PM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:29:22 GMT, "Jay" > wrote:

>I can't remember who prescribed it, but they would have their people when
>learning to squat do it weightless,

sure, but how many of us can find a place with zero gravity?

dan finn
mfw : this ain't spa lady

Jay
October 2nd 03, 12:43 AM
Go to Soldier field. It really sucks there, should be able to offset
gravity