PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 set limits

JayJay
October 3rd 03, 12:13 AM
The gym I belong to has this silly rule posted on all the machines and by
the free weights that members are to limit their workouts to 2 set limits
(and on some machines its 1 set limit).

What's up with that? Do I just say screw the rule and do 3 sets? Or if
I'm doing the machines, would it be beneficial at all to do a circuit and
then just go back through the circuit again to get my 3rd set? (although
that would be more time consuming after having to set the machines up again
if someone used them after me). Or would I do 2 sets of one lift, do 2 sets
of a different lift, then go back and do 1 set of each?

Daniel Witt
October 3rd 03, 01:03 AM
find a different gym. that is ridiculous. I only rest 45 seconds between
sets and I guarantee you that I finish a 4 set workout on a particular
exercise faster than most people finish 2 sets. I can understand not
wanting people hanging out at the squat rack all day but you can't do
anything in just 1 set. I would move on.

Daniel

--

"We all walk the long road, can not stay. There's no need to say goodbye."
E.V.

"JayJay" > wrote in message
> The gym I belong to has this silly rule posted on all the machines and by
> the free weights that members are to limit their workouts to 2 set limits
> (and on some machines its 1 set limit).
>
> What's up with that? Do I just say screw the rule and do 3 sets? Or if
> I'm doing the machines, would it be beneficial at all to do a circuit and
> then just go back through the circuit again to get my 3rd set? (although
> that would be more time consuming after having to set the machines up
again
> if someone used them after me). Or would I do 2 sets of one lift, do 2
sets
> of a different lift, then go back and do 1 set of each?

Oldman
October 3rd 03, 05:20 AM
JayJay I guess they are reacting to some people hogging some of the
equipment 6-8 sets and showing their butt if someone wants to share the
equipment. If you have 4-5 people hanging around waiting on a piece of
equipment maybe at circuit routine would make it easier to get along. How
about a home gym. for a whole lot less than the price of a gym membership
you can have a bench and setup board and a rack. A good workout partner
makes working out at home fun too. That is half the game. Having someone
to encourage you when you need it...
"JayJay" > wrote in message
> The gym I belong to has this silly rule posted on all the machines and by
> the free weights that members are to limit their workouts to 2 set limits
> (and on some machines its 1 set limit).
>
> What's up with that? Do I just say screw the rule and do 3 sets? Or if
> I'm doing the machines, would it be beneficial at all to do a circuit and
> then just go back through the circuit again to get my 3rd set? (although
> that would be more time consuming after having to set the machines up
again
> if someone used them after me). Or would I do 2 sets of one lift, do 2
sets
> of a different lift, then go back and do 1 set of each?

Jayjay
October 3rd 03, 02:17 PM
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:20:20 -0500, "Oldman" > wrote:

> JayJay I guess they are reacting to some people hogging some of the
>equipment 6-8 sets and showing their butt if someone wants to share the
>equipment. If you have 4-5 people hanging around waiting on a piece of
>equipment maybe at circuit routine would make it easier to get along. How
>about a home gym. for a whole lot less than the price of a gym membership
>you can have a bench and setup board and a rack. A good workout partner
>makes working out at home fun too. That is half the game. Having someone
>to encourage you when you need it...

Actually - we do have a home gym but are very limited in space. For
home I've got a full range of dumbells from the 2.5 up to 50lbs and an
adjustible bench (no rack). But we are limited on space so that
hinders getting any more equipment and a bar/plates and new bench,
etc.

My gym membership ultimately costs me $20/yr. And the other services
it provides far outweigh the downfall here. So finding another gym
(the only other in town is curves or golds, both of which are further
from the house and even less convienent for me having a son, etc).

rick++
October 3rd 03, 03:55 PM
They probably mean people who rest and hog the machines between sets.
We've all seen people who hog a machine for ten minutes- using it for a minute,
resting 3-4 minutes, etc.
Circuit strategies would not count.

void11
October 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
You could always try to find a reasonable time of day when the gym is not
busy. Less chance of people complaining if you do more than 2 sets.

Ed

"Jayjay" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:20:20 -0500, "Oldman" > wrote:
>
> > JayJay I guess they are reacting to some people hogging some of the
> >equipment 6-8 sets and showing their butt if someone wants to share the
> >equipment. If you have 4-5 people hanging around waiting on a piece of
> >equipment maybe at circuit routine would make it easier to get along.
How
> >about a home gym. for a whole lot less than the price of a gym
membership
> >you can have a bench and setup board and a rack. A good workout partner
> >makes working out at home fun too. That is half the game. Having
someone
> >to encourage you when you need it...
>
> Actually - we do have a home gym but are very limited in space. For
> home I've got a full range of dumbells from the 2.5 up to 50lbs and an
> adjustible bench (no rack). But we are limited on space so that
> hinders getting any more equipment and a bar/plates and new bench,
> etc.
>
> My gym membership ultimately costs me $20/yr. And the other services
> it provides far outweigh the downfall here. So finding another gym
> (the only other in town is curves or golds, both of which are further
> from the house and even less convienent for me having a son, etc).

Jayjay
October 3rd 03, 04:59 PM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:10:24 GMT, "void11" > wrote:

>You could always try to find a reasonable time of day when the gym is not
>busy. Less chance of people complaining if you do more than 2 sets.
>
>Ed

I only try to go when its less busy. I'm as impatient as the next if
I have to wait for my workout. :-)

I'm also the type that would be willing to step away from the machine
or weights and let someone cycle in with me.

My question was more towards why they would the gym would put a 1 or 2
set limit on the equipment.

Then again, I think they've got a 20 min limit on the cardio
equipment. And that is necessary during the peak hours.

Roger Zoul
October 3rd 03, 05:02 PM
Jayjay wrote:
:: On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:10:24 GMT, "void11" >
:: wrote:
::
::: You could always try to find a reasonable time of day when the gym
::: is not busy. Less chance of people complaining if you do more than
::: 2 sets.
:::
::: Ed
:::
::
:: I only try to go when its less busy. I'm as impatient as the next
:: if
:: I have to wait for my workout. :-)
::
:: I'm also the type that would be willing to step away from the machine
:: or weights and let someone cycle in with me.
::
:: My question was more towards why they would the gym would put a 1 or
:: 2 set limit on the equipment.
::
:: Then again, I think they've got a 20 min limit on the cardio
:: equipment. And that is necessary during the peak hours.

Well, both of those are stupid....it sounds like they have too little
equipment and too many members....I'd find some other gym....

S&B
October 3rd 03, 06:35 PM
To anyone who would question why you are doing more than the quota,
simply state that your current contract has no such limitation.

Circuit training is difficult if the gym is busy.

S&B

"JayJay" > wrote in message >...
> The gym I belong to has this silly rule posted on all the machines and by
> the free weights that members are to limit their workouts to 2 set limits
> (and on some machines its 1 set limit).
>
> What's up with that? Do I just say screw the rule and do 3 sets? Or if
> I'm doing the machines, would it be beneficial at all to do a circuit and
> then just go back through the circuit again to get my 3rd set? (although
> that would be more time consuming after having to set the machines up again
> if someone used them after me). Or would I do 2 sets of one lift, do 2 sets
> of a different lift, then go back and do 1 set of each?

October 3rd 03, 08:17 PM
Sounds like your gym is too crowded, I would find another gym or start
using 20 rep sets. That will get em going.

http://www.hardgainers-home-gym.com

"JayJay" > wrote in message >...
> The gym I belong to has this silly rule posted on all the machines and by
> the free weights that members are to limit their workouts to 2 set limits
> (and on some machines its 1 set limit).
>
> What's up with that? Do I just say screw the rule and do 3 sets? Or if
> I'm doing the machines, would it be beneficial at all to do a circuit and
> then just go back through the circuit again to get my 3rd set? (although
> that would be more time consuming after having to set the machines up again
> if someone used them after me). Or would I do 2 sets of one lift, do 2 sets
> of a different lift, then go back and do 1 set of each?

ignorcrew
October 3rd 03, 09:18 PM
"JayJay" > wrote in message >...
> The gym I belong to has this silly rule posted on all the machines and by
> the free weights that members are to limit their workouts to 2 set limits
> (and on some machines its 1 set limit).

Ask them how do you limit the free weights workout to 2 sets? You do 2
sets of bench presses and then leave before you can do 2 sets of one
arm rows, or shoulder presses, or whatever? Maybe you misunderstood
the rules because it does not make any sense.