PDA

View Full Version : my stomach is growing!

Jer
June 27th 05, 09:31 PM
Alright, I will say it "I need some help." There I feel better....

Ok, I've been weight lifting for about 2 years? And I'd say I've made
fairly impressive gains, but I'm by no means buffed. The problem is is
that I've noticed that my tummy has been growing at uncomfortable
levels. Either it has always been doing this or its something I'm doing
wrong lately.

Put it to you this way. I am 5'10", weigh 179 lbs, and have a BF% of
23%(the fat was ONLY found on the abs and back). also, if I measure my
mid-section(like at my navel) I measure at about 38.5" - on an empty
stomach. That is TOO much in my opinion. If I flex my muscles (upper
body) I can defintely see good muscle definition everywhere - even
after all the fat gained from an ordinary muscle gaining diet. But it
just seems that I'm gaining way to much on the tummy. Its as if all the
fat is not going to the rest of the body but instead going straight to
my stomach. while all the proteins and carbs are going to the upper
body. If my stomach grows anymore I may start looking as if I have a
beer belly! If I suck in my stomach - with little effort - I actually
look pretty good. Its amazing what JUST a stomach will do to the rest
of your body. It determines whether you look fat or buffed.

What do I do? I hate to go on a real diet and lose weight because I
don't want to lose muscle mass. I will do it when I get up to 190-200
lbs. yet I know that I can't spot reduce. How about losing weight and
MAINTAINING muscle mass - is that possible?

But I will admit during all of my weight lifting I never exersiced my
abs or back. On my back I had trouble finding good excersices to put
meat on effectively and on my abs, I just simply never did them. I
didn't care for a 6-pack. But I figure the jogging would help keep it
down some.

But you may ask what is more important to me? It would be gaining
muscle mass, but I can't stand seeing my tummy grow. How about adding
weights to ab excersices to burn fat?

or how about this?

* eat three times a day.
* weight lift intensively like I have been 3 times a week.
* but jog more often - say about 3-4 times a week on the days I don't
weight lift.
* Or maybe jog twice in one day (morning and night).

will this guarantee fat loss while mainting muscle mass? And there is
one other important factor - I have a high matabolism. A guy told me
that he too had a high matabolism and he said it is easier for us to
lose fat then those with low matabolisms. But he said he didn't
excersice his abs too much and he was able to keep body fat down on his
abs.

Steve McDevitt
June 27th 05, 11:19 PM
All I will say is you're not getting fat "only" around your waste. If that's
the case, you're the most unique human ever to walk the earth. You just
notice it there more. You HAVE to go on a diet, but keep working out. You
will lose muscle...that's just how it works. Cardio, diet, eat a lot of
protien and keep on lifting. It will come off. Just remember, there's more
fat everywhere else, so it will make you look better all around, even if you
do lose a little muscle.

Jer
June 27th 05, 11:40 PM
ok. a few questions then.

1. Then what aerobic excersice is the most effective in fat loss?
running? jump ropes?

2. how often should I do aerobics?

3. should my weight lifting still be as intense?

4. how much less should I eat?

5. and just HOW much muscle mass will I lose?

6. how long should I stay on this diet? till I have 15% BF?

Jer
June 27th 05, 11:43 PM
oh and I would like to add that I do have fat all over my body...its
just that ... that fat is acceptable where as the most fat can
noticably be found on my waist and back.

June 28th 05, 12:11 AM
You're pregnant.

June 28th 05, 12:26 AM
>You're pregnant.

So Charles has been humpin' Jer, huh?

Steve McDevitt
June 28th 05, 02:18 AM
"Jer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> ok. a few questions then.
>
> 1. Then what aerobic excersice is the most effective in fat loss?
> running? jump ropes?
>
> 2. how often should I do aerobics?
>
> 3. should my weight lifting still be as intense?
>
> 4. how much less should I eat?
>
> 5. and just HOW much muscle mass will I lose?
>
> 6. how long should I stay on this diet? till I have 15% BF?

Okay, first of all pick something fun. I lost quite a bit of weight lifting
while watching what I ate with not TOO much of aerobics.You look dumb doing
it, but there's not much that can beat an elliptical machine for calories
burned/exertion required/time taken. You don't stain to burn a ton of
calories in a short time, in other words.

How often? Depends. At least twice a week, I would assume.

When I was trying to lose fat, I kept my lifting just as intense, if not
moreso. Make sure you eat a good source of lean protein. You may hate it,
but tuna in water with nothing on it just can't be beat. Make sure to take
in carbs so that can still refule your muscles, however (protein with no
carbs won't be nearly as effective after a work out).

I would trim the meals down in size, but not frequency. Watch your fat, and
stay away from too many carbs, and sugar for a bit. Eat about 5-6 times a
day, and you will be fine. I'd say... 2000 calories or so?

I forget the numbers, but I the muscle to fat ratio was pretty shocking. I
won't throw numbers around if I don't know them off the top of my head, but
it's up there. Just keep lifting and eating protein to keep it to a minimum,
and you will be just fine. Besides, you'll look more ripped even if you DO
lose some muscle, so no big deal.

BF is up to you. How do you want to look/feel? I'm at 6.5, and it's a chore
to stay there. You have to watch what you eat all the time, and people will
insult you for eating so healthy when "you don't have to, you're too thin
already." They say that 10% is where you start to see abs. So, depends on
what goals you have in mind. I don't care about BF so much as I do about
looks. I want to look ripped. Don't go by a scale and don't go by BF, go by
how you want to look. Good luck, it won't be so hard, you just have to have
dedication. I should know, as I was pretty chunky years back... I've had a
total body overhaul, and soon you will, too.

Steve

June 28th 05, 01:48 PM
Jer wrote:

> ok. a few questions then.
>
> 1. Then what aerobic excersice is the most effective in fat loss?
> running? jump ropes?

Running works.

> 2. how often should I do aerobics?

0-3 times a week.

> 3. should my weight lifting still be as intense?

If you can. I lose a lot off my squat if I run.

> 4. how much less should I eat?

500 calories a day.

> 5. and just HOW much muscle mass will I lose?

If you lift heavy, a little, maybe none.

> 6. how long should I stay on this diet? till I have 15% BF?

34" waist.

Seth Breidbart
June 30th 05, 01:21 AM
In article . com>,
Jer > wrote:

>Put it to you this way. I am 5'10", weigh 179 lbs, and have a BF% of
>23%(the fat was ONLY found on the abs and back). also, if I measure my
>mid-section(like at my navel) I measure at about 38.5" - on an empty
>stomach. That is TOO much in my opinion.

Your body hates you. [$1 to Lyle]

>What do I do? I hate to go on a real diet and lose weight because I
>don't want to lose muscle mass.

Tough. Your body hates you.

> I will do it when I get up to 190-200
>lbs. yet I know that I can't spot reduce. How about losing weight and
>MAINTAINING muscle mass - is that possible?

What kind of drugs are you willing to use?

>But I will admit during all of my weight lifting I never exersiced my
>abs or back.

Oh, and you're stupid, too.

>But you may ask what is more important to me? It would be gaining
>muscle mass, but I can't stand seeing my tummy grow. How about adding
>weights to ab excersices to burn fat?

How about not believing in spot reducing?

>will this guarantee fat loss while mainting muscle mass?

No. Guess why.

Seth
--
"There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate" -- Will Brink
Except sushi rice, seaweed, and wasabi.