PDA

View Full Version : training advice websites

Al
June 29th 05, 03:33 PM
Hi, can anyone give me some links to websites that have good info and advice
about weight training? Cheers

June 29th 05, 04:35 PM
www.al4a.com

Jerry
June 29th 05, 05:31 PM

www.stumptuous.com/weights.html (it's for guys too)
www.exrx.net

--
Jerry

bc
June 29th 05, 06:43 PM
Al wrote:
> Hi, can anyone give me some links to websites that have good info and advice
> about weight training? Cheers

The FAQ is good. Here's Trygve's regular post:

Archive-name: misc-fitness/weights/pointer-faq
Posting-Frequency: weekly
Last-modified: 2003.08.02
Version: 3.4
Maintainer: trygve lode ( )

Misc.Fitness.Weights Pointer to FAQs and Resources
maintained by Trygve Lode ( )
Last-modified: 2003.08.02
the current version is available at www.trygve.com/pointer.html

CONTENTS

* administrivia
* general reference
* general websites
* exercise and exercise physiology
* nutrition
* supplements
* drugs
* equipment
* history
* competition
* olympic weightlifting
* powerlifting
* strongman
* sport-specific training
* organizations and associations
* magazines, paper
* magazines, electronic
* training books, videos, software, etc.
* newsgroups
* mailinglists
* web message boards
* irc channels
* web-based chatrooms

ADMINISTRIVIA

This document is a Pointer to FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions
lists),
references, documents, and other resources available on the internet
which deal with weightlifting, strength and resistance training, and
related subjects. This document may be freely copied, transmitted,
or
distributed in any manner or medium; the most up-to-date version may
be obtained at www.trygve.com/pointer.html and anyone wishing to
include this information on a website is encouraged to link to it at
the above URL.
If you are relativly new to misc.fitness.weights please read at
least
one or two of the FAQs before asking your questions. These are here
in
order to reduce the volume of questions that get asked over and
over.
(hence the term FAQ)

GENERAL REFERENCE

http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html - the misc.fitness.weights FAQ
Maintained by

http://www.trygve.com/weightsglossary.html - Illustrated Dictionary
of
Weightlifting, Bodybuilding, and Exercise Terms and
Techniques

http://www.turnstep.com/Faq/index.html - misc.fitness.aerobic FAQ by
Greg Mullane

ftp://ftp.cray.com/pub/misc.fitness/misc.fitness.faq.html the old
misc.fitness FAQ by Jeff Gleixner
The misc.fitness FAQ was the FAQ for the old misc.fitness
group
before it was split into misc.fitness.weights,
misc.fitness.aerobics, and misc.fitness.misc

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/ - PubMed
National Library of Medicine's search service to access the 9
million citations in MEDLINE and Pre-MEDLINE (with links to
participating on-line journals), and other related databases.

GENERAL WEBSITES

http://www.trygve.com/mfw.html - misc.fitness.weights, the website
FAQs, archives, bios, quotes, pictures, humor, links to MFW
regulars' webpages, and more

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html - Mistress Krista's Women's
Weightlifting Page (lots of good info and advice for
everyone--women *and* men)

http://www.rustyiron.net - John M. Williams' page of
bodybuilding/weightlifting information; includes extensive
sections on exercise technique (video clips, too), nutrition,
supplements, and more.

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/weights.html - Weighty Matters
a selective archive of powerlifting and bodybuilding posts
from
the old misc.fitness and the newer misc.fitness.weights, chat
groups, plus bits and pieces from the "weights," "strength"
and
"weights-plus" listserves. Includes sections on powerlifting,
bodybuilding, exercise technique, health and nutrition,
"how-to" articles, tips on staying motivated, routines,
equipment, and links to other sites and resources.

http://www.cyberiron.com/ - CyberIron Bodybuilding
http://www.drsquat.com/ - Training with Fred Hatfield
http://www.billpearl.com - Bill Pearl Enterprises
Bill Pearl, 5-time Mr. Universe, Mr. America, and author of
some of the Best Selling Books written on Physical Fitness,
also has an excellent website that features complete training
programs with extensive descriptions and illustrations for
each
exercise.

http://www.hardgainer.com/ - Hardgainer Online
http://www.trulyhuge.com - Truly Huge
Bodybuilding, Health, and Fitness

http://www.getbig.com/index.html - American Body Building
http://www.femalemuscle.com - Lori Victoria Braun's site focused on
female bodybuilding, fitness, and women's athletics

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/ - Strength Online
Strength and Power for the Masses

http://www.weightsnet.com/index.html - WeightsNet
a resource for people who workout with weights

http://www.goheavy.com - GoHeavy.com
Powerlifting, olympic weightlifting, strongman competitions;
listings of upcoming events and competions, TV coverage, and
more

http://www.atozfitness.com - A-to-Z Fitness Links
a directory of nearly a thousand fitness-related sites, all
categorized and searchable

http://www.thinkmuscle.com - Think Muscle
"Bridging the gap between science and practice" Informative
site with collections of articles, many by MFW regulars

http://www.bodybuilding-directory.net/ - Bodybuilding Weightlifting
directory
large directory of links to resources, references, and
companies which provide weightlifting and bodybuilding
products

http://www.solace.mh.se/~alpha/bbpics.htm - The GymRat's Premier
Bodybuilding Links

http://www.searchbodybuilding.com - SearchBodybuilding.Com
specialized engine for searching bodybuilding sites and
references (fast, too)

http://bodybuilding.about.com - Bodybuilding.About.com
an information Resource Community Center for bodybuilders
from
beginners to experts on building a better body

EXERCISE AND PHYSIOLOGY

http://www.exrx.net/ - Exercise Instruction and Structural
Kinesiology
an exhaustive compendium of muscles and exercises

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html - Bryan Haycock's
guide to Hypertrophy-Specific Training:
"Hypertrophy-Specific Training, or simply HST, is a method of
training designed to quickly and effectively induce whole
body
muscle growth. It is based on physiological principles of
muscular hypertrophy"

http://cns-web.bu.edu/pub/kellyfj/hgfaq.txt or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/misc.fitness.weights/ - The
Hardgainer FAQ
Another excellent FAQ for the genetically typical person,
known
as a "Hardgainer".

http://archive.dstc.edu.au/TU/staff/timbomb/ab/ - Abdominal Training

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/ -
Stretching
FAQ, v1.42 by Brad Appleton (updated 6/10/1998)

http://www-neuromus.ucsd.edu/MusIntro/Jump.html - Introduction to
muscle

http://www.weightsnet.com/Docs/plyometrics.html - Plyometrics FAQ,
by
Charlie Bender (updated 6/18/1995)

http://www.bartleby.com/107/ - Gray's Anatomy on-line

DIET and NUTRITION

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl - Searchable
database of USDA nutritional information

http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc - Alt.Support.Diet.Low-Carb FAQ
http://members.aol.com/lowcarbs/index.htm - The Low Carb Diet
Information Center

http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/faq.htm - BodyOpus FAQby Lyle McDonald
(updated 1996)

SUPPLEMENTS

http://www.sports-supplements.co.uk/ - the UK Directory of Sports
Supplements Online

DRUGS

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/7110/ - The Anabolic Steriod FAQ
v4.0 by Fred Hosn (updated 6/1/1999)

HISTORY and BIOGRAPHICAL

http://www.musclememory.com/ - Muscle Memory
Tim Fogarty's archive of the history of bodybuilding complete
with photos, records of contest results, and more

COMPETITION

http://nps.ticz.com/bbcfaq.htm - The Bodybuilding Competition FAQ
v1.1
(updated 2000.04.21) by Steve Kidwell

http://www.trygve.com/strongmanfaq.html - The Strongman FAQ v1.3---
(updated 1996.06.20) by Tapio Ojanaho

OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING

http://www.lifttilyadie.com/w8lift.htm - Olympic Weightlifting on
the
Web
extensive directory of Olympic Weightlifting associations,
competition results, and resources.

POWERLIFTING

http://www.powerlifting.com/

STRONGMAN

http://www.strongestman.com/ - Covering strongman competitions and
training

ORGANIZATIONS and ASSOCIATIONS

http://www.getbig.com/info/ifbb.htm - International Federation of
Body
Builders (IFBB)

http://www.getbig.com/info/npc.htm - National Physique Committee
(NPC)

http://www.adfpa.com/ or
http://www.usapowerlifting.com/ - USA Powerlifting (formerly
American Drug Free Powerlifting Association (ADFPA))

http://www.ipf.com/ - International Powerlifting Federation (IPF)

MAGAZINES, PRINT

http://www.bk-sportsmag.se/ - B&K Sports Magazine (Swedish)
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/ - Ironman Magazine
http://www.flexonline.com/ - Flex
http://www.mensfitness.com/ - Men's Fitness
http://www.muscle-fitness.com/ - Muscle and Fitness
http://www.musclemedia.com/ - Muscle Media Magazine
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/ - Muscular Development
http://www.powermagonline.com/ - "Monster Muscle Online," covering
powerlifting and other strength sports

MAGAZINES, WEB-BASED

http://nbaf.com/nbaf/home.html - National Bodybuilding & Fitness
Magazine

http://www.t-mag.com/ - Testosterone: Muscle with attitude

EMAIL LISTS

http://www.WeightsNet.com/ - the Weights List, moderated by Michael
Sullivan
One of the oldest lists, the discussions usually center
around
bodybuilding.
to subscribe, email

http://www.deepsquatter.com/ - Strength Online, moderated by Jason
"Deepsquatter" Burnell
Mostly powerlifting. Focused on the strength aspects of
weight
lifting.
to subscribe email with "subscribe
strength" in the message body

http://www.cyberpump.com/preview/hitdigest/subscribe.html - The HIT
Digest, moderated by Rob Spector
Some bodybuilding, some powerlifting, lots of general
strength
info--with, of course, an emphasis on HIT.

moderated
by Dr Mel Siff [ ]
discusses the theory and practice of sports science,
biomechanics, physiology, medicine and psychology in sport,
fitness and general health. Topics include weight and machine
training, flexibility, periodisation, plyometrics, Russian
training, sports restoration and massage, nutrition, mental
preparation, disability training, and injury management.
to subscribe, email

http://www.syndicomm.com/lowcarb.html - Lowcarb Pro;Host: Dean
Esmay,
Administrator: Jerry Kindall
This is primarily a technical resource for people who are
well
read on lowcarb and ketogenic diets.
to subscribe email

http://low-carb.org/ - Lowcarb Diets and Exercise list
The lowcarb-list is a forum for discussion and support of low
carbohydrate diets and/or eating plans that have a goal of
hormone control or modification.
to subscribe email with "subscribe
lowcarb-l" in the body

Lowcarb Support List, moderated by Julia Henry
This is less technical than the other lowcarb mailing lists
and
has more of a support-group focus.
to subscribe email with "subscribe
lowcarb-list" in the body

The Zone mailing list, moderated by Asya Kamsky
Discussions about moderate fat/moderate carb/moderate protein
diets.
to subscribe email with the command
SUBSCRIBE in the body

http://www.aerobics.to/ - Aerobics & Fitness, administered by John
Stevenson and Steve Wagge
Exists to join aerobics instructors, personal trainers,
physical therapists, sports trainers, and other fitness
professionals in a forum to promote the free flow of useful
information. Topics include current research, help in
becoming
a fitness instructor, continuing education,
networking/employment opportunities.
to subscribe email with "subscribe
aerobics" in the body

NEWSGROUPS

news:misc.fitness.weights Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Weightlifting
and more.
Homepage: http://www.trygve.com/mfw.html

Homepage: http://www.webdesigns1.com/asw/

Homepage: http://www.theministryoffitness.com/urb.htm

news:misc.fitness.aerobic All forms of aerobic activity.
news:misc.fitness.misc General fitness topics.
news:sci.med.nutrition Physiological impacts of diet.

WEB-BASED MESSAGE BOARDS

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/

IRC CHANNELS

#Bodybuild
General weight-training channel.
note: use EFnet servers such as irc.mo.net irc.digex.net
irc.best.net irc.blackened.com irc.tuscon.net and others
found
on the alt.irc newsgroup

#lowcarb
Discussion of the low-carb/high-fat diets. Meetings at
10:00pm
EST on Tuesdays for discussion.
note: use Undernet servers such as us.undernet.org or
undernet.org and others found on the alt.irc newsgroup

WEB-BASED CHATROOMS

with thanks to Brian Bucher ( ) for collecting
and
editing the original version of this document.

The most recent HTML version of this document is available at:
www.trygve.com/pointer.html

Cellus
June 29th 05, 08:31 PM
Great site: www.abcbodybuilding.com

bc
June 29th 05, 09:54 PM
Al wrote:
> Hi, can anyone give me some links to websites that have good info and advice
> about weight training? Cheers

It's rumored that the FAQ has some info.

Trygve's pointer http://tinyurl.com/73cl9

David
June 30th 05, 08:37 AM
"Al" > wrote in message
> Hi, can anyone give me some links to websites that have good info and
advice
> about weight training? Cheers

Try this one - it is awesome

http://www.fitnwell.net/

or if you want to go down market you can try

http://www.brinkzone.com/

Neal Fabian
July 1st 05, 10:19 PM
Al wrote:
> Hi, can anyone give me some links to websites that have good info and advice
> about weight training? Cheers

I wrote it, it's free, it's up on my Website. No hassles, no credit
card numbers, no cookies, no "registration," nothing to join, nothing
is for sale at the site, and no merchandise or services are promoted
there. Cool, huh? The title is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY. I wrote it because there was a need for it,

and no one else did or could fulfill that need. It's for everyone,
beginner to advanced athlete; it depends on how you use it.

If you are just starting out, or if you're an early intermediate, you
aren't going to get anywhere very fast, if you flounder around, asking
sporadic questions on Newsgroups, and patch together a routine, based
on what you have read or heard, here and there. Many if not most of
the answers that you're likely to get on the NG's will be from people
who, however well meaning, don't know any more than you do. If you
get a response from someone who does know what he's talking about, it's

likely to be just a couple of sentences; far from a complete answer to
what you're asking. Some of the answers to your questions might be
accompanied by references to studies, which are not definitive, and
which may not even be understood by whoever quotes them. In any event,

training is always made to appear far more complex than it really is.
"ABSOLUTELY. . ." strips away all the hype and superfluous material,
and reduces training to what it has always been; a very simple
physiological process that works for everyone. It offers access to an
extraordinary email system that will get you a personal response within

a reasonable amount of time, if you are asking a question that is
specific to the program, and if you don't abuse the system. It's
simply the best, most comprehensive material on the subject that you'll
find anywhere on the Internet,
whether you're a beginner or an advanced athlete. Oh; and it's fun to
read.

If you're an advanced lifter, I think that my philosophy of training
might give you some new insights, and maybe cause you to change
direction. It's almost a certainty that you have been spending more
time than is necessary in the gym, time that you could have been
spending skiing, hiking, working on your Sanskrit translations... The
material is very reader friendly, it definitely won't bore you, and it
could be the most significant paper you've ever read, relative to the
development of your physique.

Click on the URL in my signature, and if you don't care about pics or
bios, just scroll down to the bottom of the cover page, to the links.
I do urge you though, to stop at NEW STUFF, on your way down; it's
cool.

" ABSOLUTELY..." is too long to read from your screen, and anyway
you'll want to have a hard copy. It prints out at about twenty-six
pages, but that's very short, considering the fact that it really is
all the training material you'll ever need, in the real world.

Click your mouse and fire up the printer. You're going to love it.
[file] CRM

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss "Today Los Angeles, Tomorrow the United States." It's now
up on my Website, in NEW STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out.
Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the site, and
it's free.