PDA

View Full Version : Upper limit on Calories in a day?


Sumner
July 5th 05, 05:25 PM
If you consume more calories than your body uses -- just during one day
-- is there an upper limit on the amount of those calories that will be
turned into fat? Or will ALL the excess be converted to fat?

For example, if I need 2,000 calories/day just to maintain my weight,
and then one day I consume 4,000 calories, will all of the extra 2,000
turn into fat or does the body discard some of that extra? What if I
consumed 6,000 calories in one day? Would all of the extra 4,000 turn
into fat?

T
July 5th 05, 05:43 PM
Sumner wrote:

> If you consume more calories than your body uses -- just during one day
> -- is there an upper limit on the amount of those calories that will be
> turned into fat? Or will ALL the excess be converted to fat?
>
> For example, if I need 2,000 calories/day just to maintain my weight,
> and then one day I consume 4,000 calories, will all of the extra 2,000
> turn into fat or does the body discard some of that extra? What if I
> consumed 6,000 calories in one day? Would all of the extra 4,000 turn
> into fat?
>

Eat 12 pints of Ben & Jerry's and report back. ;-)


7am: coconut almond fudge and chocolate therapy
8am: chocolate therapy
9am: gobfather
11am: mint chip
noon: vanilla almond
1pm: chocolate fudge brownie
3pm: strawberry cheesecake
4pm: caramel sutra
5pm: chocolate chip cookie dough
7pm: Appley Ever After
8pm: Half-Baked
9pm: Uncanny Cashew


You know, for science. ;-)

Matt
July 5th 05, 07:13 PM
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:43:34 GMT, T > wrote:

>Sumner wrote:
>
>> If you consume more calories than your body uses -- just during one day
>> -- is there an upper limit on the amount of those calories that will be
>> turned into fat? Or will ALL the excess be converted to fat?
>>
>> For example, if I need 2,000 calories/day just to maintain my weight,
>> and then one day I consume 4,000 calories, will all of the extra 2,000
>> turn into fat or does the body discard some of that extra? What if I
>> consumed 6,000 calories in one day? Would all of the extra 4,000 turn
>> into fat?
>>
>
>Eat 12 pints of Ben & Jerry's and report back. ;-)
>
>
>7am: coconut almond fudge and chocolate therapy
>8am: chocolate therapy
>9am: gobfather
>11am: mint chip
>noon: vanilla almond
>1pm: chocolate fudge brownie
>3pm: strawberry cheesecake
>4pm: caramel sutra
>5pm: chocolate chip cookie dough
>7pm: Appley Ever After
>8pm: Half-Baked
>9pm: Uncanny Cashew
>
>
>You know, for science. ;-)

Do you think it would be possible to eat all that food in one day?

T
July 5th 05, 07:34 PM
Matt wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:43:34 GMT, T > wrote:
>
>
>>Sumner wrote:
>>
>>
>>>If you consume more calories than your body uses -- just during one day
>>>-- is there an upper limit on the amount of those calories that will be
>>>turned into fat? Or will ALL the excess be converted to fat?
>>>
>>>For example, if I need 2,000 calories/day just to maintain my weight,
>>>and then one day I consume 4,000 calories, will all of the extra 2,000
>>>turn into fat or does the body discard some of that extra? What if I
>>>consumed 6,000 calories in one day? Would all of the extra 4,000 turn
>>>into fat?
>>>
>>
>>Eat 12 pints of Ben & Jerry's and report back. ;-)
>>
>>
>>7am: coconut almond fudge and chocolate therapy
>>8am: chocolate therapy
>>9am: gobfather
>>11am: mint chip
>>noon: vanilla almond
>>1pm: chocolate fudge brownie
>>3pm: strawberry cheesecake
>>4pm: caramel sutra
>>5pm: chocolate chip cookie dough
>>7pm: Appley Ever After
>>8pm: Half-Baked
>>9pm: Uncanny Cashew
>>
>>
>>You know, for science. ;-)
>
>
> Do you think it would be possible to eat all that food in one day?

I picked premium ice cream because it's really, really calorically dense.
Peanut butter might be a better choice, though; about 10K Calories in 60 ounces.

7 (peanut butter) or 24 (ice cream) cups of food in 15 hours? Sure. I probably
eat about 12 cups every day. Fruit, salad, veggies, whole grains, mostly, of
course; nowhere near the caloric densities suggested for the purpose of
experimentation.

Sumner
July 5th 05, 07:38 PM
Possible to eat 4 or 5,000 calories in a day? Absolutely.

I am trying to figure out if there is any difference between eating
2,000 calories over maintenance in one day, versus eating 400 calories
over maintenance over 5 days.

Neal Fabian
July 5th 05, 08:34 PM
Sumner wrote:
> If you consume more calories than your body uses -- just during one day
> -- is there an upper limit on the amount of those calories that will be
> turned into fat? Or will ALL the excess be converted to fat?
>
> For example, if I need 2,000 calories/day just to maintain my weight,
> and then one day I consume 4,000 calories, will all of the extra 2,000
> turn into fat or does the body discard some of that extra? What if I
> consumed 6,000 calories in one day? Would all of the extra 4,000 turn
> into fat?


Without going too far with this, when new substances are assimilated by
the body, they have to become something. What they become depends on
how much there is of them, and your level of activity. BTW, in this
context, a calorie is an expression of heat/energy producing value in
food, it's not actually, literally, something you eat. Answering your
question specifically, if you need 3000 calories a day for weight
maintenance, but you consume 6000 calories on a given day, that 3000
calorie excess will be stored in the body as fat, and become
approximately one additional pound of body weight. Of course if you
throw up the whole half gallon of Ben & Jerry's...

Mrs. Tyler, my 8th grade general science teacher, would be proud of me.
I might send her a copy of this.

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss "Today Los Angeles, Tomorrow the United States." It's now
up on my Website, in NEW STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out.
Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the site, and
it's free.

July 6th 05, 08:33 AM
Neal Fabian Jul 5, 3:34 pm wrote this
::::Of course if you
::::throw up the whole half gallon of Ben & Jerry's...
::::

this made me think of something.
for bulemics (sp?) what the hell is going on?

surely when the expell food, some of it has been used for calories and
some of it hasn't. does this mean someone can throw up and effectively
be doing nothing beneficial (in context)? say someone, or a celebrity
actress, ate an entire 6000 cal cake. They waited 2 hours, and then
threw up everything they could. Could they idealy cause their
digestive system to only absorb (or use) 3000 or something high like
that calories, and then the expengunged goo would represent the
remaining 3000 cal's? What about people who dry heave? Doesn't this
also slow the digestive system. And what if they worked out all day
long with really intensive lifting. Could this somehow cause the
muscles to still become weaker. I have a feeling all of this must be
yes, but then... what good would throwing up your food do? And surely
the pure act of vomiting must be an intensive workout for your internal
system. Think of how much energy the body must use to (get rid of)
food in the stohmach. Ok, enjoy your breakfast now :)

Adam.

Steve Freides
July 6th 05, 01:07 PM
"Sumner" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> If you consume more calories than your body uses -- just during one
> day
> -- is there an upper limit on the amount of those calories that will
> be
> turned into fat? Or will ALL the excess be converted to fat?
>
> For example, if I need 2,000 calories/day just to maintain my weight,
> and then one day I consume 4,000 calories, will all of the extra 2,000
> turn into fat or does the body discard some of that extra? What if I
> consumed 6,000 calories in one day? Would all of the extra 4,000 turn
> into fat?

You will undoubtedly excrete most of the extra calories. Gaining weight
requires consistent overeating.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Sumner
July 6th 05, 05:58 PM
That's the answer I was hoping for, but Neal's answer contradicts it
completely... Anyone know where some definitive information is on the
subject? I'd like to find out more about it (specifically what amounts
of the extra might be excreted)...

Seth Breidbart
July 6th 05, 08:07 PM
In article . com>,
Sumner > wrote:
>That's the answer I was hoping for, but Neal's answer contradicts it
>completely...

"Neal Fabian" is an idiot. (Now watch it come back quoting some other
idiot lying troll in an attempt to disparage me.)

> Anyone know where some definitive information is on the
>subject? I'd like to find out more about it (specifically what amounts
>of the extra might be excreted)...

There's nothing definitive; it depends ($1 to Lyle) on exactly what
you've been eating before, your metabolism, and lots of other unknown
factors.

Seth
--
"There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate" -- Will Brink
Except sushi rice, seaweed, and wasabi.

WillBrink
July 6th 05, 09:15 PM
In article . com>,
"Sumner" > wrote:

> That's the answer I was hoping for, but Neal's answer contradicts it
> completely...

Then go look at his site and decide if you think he's an authority on
the topic.

> Anyone know where some definitive information is on the
> subject?

Sure, try a good bio chem course and plenty of follow up at the med
libraries. It's not rocket science actually: short term over eating is
easily compensated by the body via various pathways and mechanisms and
long term over eating can't be totally compensated for and thus, you get
fat.

> I'd like to find out more about it (specifically what amounts
> of the extra might be excreted)...

Out your butt, converted to heat, stored as glycogen, and so on.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Steve Freides
July 6th 05, 10:03 PM
"Sumner" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> That's the answer I was hoping for, but Neal's answer contradicts it
> completely... Anyone know where some definitive information is on the
> subject? I'd like to find out more about it (specifically what amounts
> of the extra might be excreted)...

There is no science that will be useful to you because it all depends on
your own metabolism, schedule, etc.

If you're trying to find this out, you'll weigh less if you pig out once
in a while than if you overeat just a little but do it every day.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Neal Fabian
July 6th 05, 10:59 PM
Sumner wrote:
> That's the answer I was hoping for, but Neal's answer contradicts it
> completely... Anyone know where some definitive information is on the
> subject? I'd like to find out more about it (specifically what amounts
> of the extra might be excreted)...


I think you're looking for a simple answer to a very complex question.
My original reply gave a generalized answer, and was fundamentally
correct. If you consume food with a greater caloric content then your
body requires, the excess will be stored as fat; it's really as simple
as that. If you need more information, you'll have to study the human
digestive system, and although you won't have to carry it to the
doctorate level, it will probably involve you wading through a bit more
information than you might like. It's a complex process, especially if
you want to know what happens to various specific substances, not just
"food" in general. Digestion starts in the mouth, with small amounts
of starches being digested by a component of saliva, and ends with,
well, you know where it ends.

It's not true that significant nutritional content exists in human
feces (I really didn't think we were going to get to this, but...).
There is however, some. There are small amounts of undigested and
partly digested matter, along with the indigestible matter. Pigs will
eat human feces. The bottom line though is, the quantity of unneeded
food that is stored as fat, is large; the quantity that is excreted is
very small, barring anomalous circumstances, like illness. What you're
looking for is a breakdown of just how much excess is stored as fat,
and how much is excreted, and I think you'll find that to be a
difficult answer to find, and if you do find it, it will be subject to
variables. I think the information you're seeking has no practical
value, because you're carrying it too far. As I wrote in my original
reply, if you eat significantly more than you should, the excess will
appear as fatty tissue, and what you eat tomorrow won't affect what you
ate yesterday.

Finally, a word about getting information from Usenet. It can be a
good source, but you have to filter what you find through your own
intelligence and knowledge base. There are cranks here, like
Breidbart, who is simply an embittered, silly, fat old man, who belongs
in a weight training newsgroup about as much as Jessica Simpson belongs
at a Mensa convention.

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss "Today Los Angeles, Tomorrow the United States." It's now
up on my Website, in NEW STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out.
Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the site, and
it's free.

Neal Fabian
July 6th 05, 11:13 PM
Seth Breidbart wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Sumner > wrote:
> >That's the answer I was hoping for, but Neal's answer contradicts it
> >completely...
>
> "Neal Fabian" is an idiot. (Now watch it come back quoting some other
> idiot lying troll in an attempt to disparage me.)
>
> > Anyone know where some definitive information is on the
> >subject? I'd like to find out more about it (specifically what amounts
> >of the extra might be excreted)...
>
> There's nothing definitive; it depends ($1 to Lyle) on exactly what
> you've been eating before, your metabolism, and lots of other unknown
> factors.
>
> Seth


Sumner wrote:
[snip]

[file]
Finally, a word about getting information from Usenet. It can be a
good source, but you have to filter what you find through your own
intelligence and knowledge base. There are cranks here, like
Breidbart, who is simply an embittered, silly, fat old man, who belongs

in a weight training newsgroup about as much as Jessica Simpson belongs

at a Mensa convention.
[end file] CRM

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabia=ADn/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss "Today Los Angeles, Tomorrow the United States." It's now
up on my Website, in NEW STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out.
Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the site, and
it's free

Neal Fabian
July 6th 05, 11:31 PM
wrote:
> Neal Fabian Jul 5, 3:34 pm wrote this
> ::::Of course if you
> ::::throw up the whole half gallon of Ben & Jerry's...
> ::::
>
> this made me think of something.
> for bulemics (sp?) what the hell is going on?
>
> surely when the expell food, some of it has been used for calories and
> some of it hasn't. does this mean someone can throw up and effectively
> be doing nothing beneficial (in context)? say someone, or a celebrity
> actress, ate an entire 6000 cal cake. They waited 2 hours, and then
> threw up everything they could. Could they idealy cause their
> digestive system to only absorb (or use) 3000 or something high like
> that calories, and then the expengunged goo would represent the
> remaining 3000 cal's?



Something like that, yes. You might read my response to Sumner.



> What about people who dry heave?


Dry heaves don't count.


> Doesn't this
> also slow the digestive system. And what if they worked out all day
> long with really intensive lifting. Could this somehow cause the
> muscles to still become weaker.



Is this for your personal information?


> I have a feeling all of this must be
> yes, but then... what good would throwing up your food do?


It would get rid of the food.




> And surely
> the pure act of vomiting must be an intensive workout for your internal
> system. Think of how much energy the body must use to (get rid of)
> food in the stohmach.



well, not really all that much, except maybe on Thanksgiving.


> Ok, enjoy your breakfast now :)



Actually, I just had lunch. I can already feel it coming up.



>
> Adam.


Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss "Today Los Angeles, Tomorrow the United States." It's now
up on my Website, in NEW STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out.
Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the site, and
it's free.

Beta
July 7th 05, 03:31 AM
Neal Fabian wrote:
>
>
>
> simply an embittered, silly, fat old man

Ask Mr. Fabian how old he is.

Neal Fabian
July 11th 05, 06:57 PM
Beta wrote:
> Neal Fabian wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > simply an embittered, silly, fat old man
>
> Ask Mr. Fabian how old he is.



Over 21, but still always carded [smile]. Beta on the other hand,
judging by
how he writes, is either 90 or 4.

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Don't miss "Today Los Angeles, Tomorrow the United States." It's now
up on my Website, in NEW STUFF, on the cover page. Check it out.
Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II. My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on the site, and
it's free.