PDA

View Full Version : food for thought

Stephen Larivee
July 14th 05, 11:16 PM
I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to read and
have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.

Why is there so much bull**** on this group? As I go through the other
groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name
calling. In MFW, I go through post after post looking for something that is
related to bodybuilding and weight training. Some times it takes a lot of
work to find something.

Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political forum.
You would probably find a much more receptive audience.

Are political views of more importance than how to do a chin-up? Sure. But
this is not the place for it!

As far as all the name calling goes.. I am sure that asking people not do
it will be unproductive. So I will direct my request to the others. Avoid
taking part. People who post such drivel do so for the attention they get.
Better to get negative attention than to be ignored. If they must post,
ignore them. I don't think they will be around much if their rantings are
ignored. I realize I am breaking my own rules by posting this, but promise
this will be a one-time tirade from me.

Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
comments. I am not interested in George W., Iraq, London, Osama, etc. Not
here, at least! If someone poses a question about Bowflex, just tell him
what you think of it without going ballistic.

I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is running
roughly 50% or 75%!!!

There! I feel better. All those who tell me to **** off or get a life or
suck it up and tough it out will be duly ignored. Such should be the fate
that awaits other OT postings.

The Good Guy
July 14th 05, 11:21 PM
Will think for food.

mike
July 14th 05, 11:35 PM
"The Good Guy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Will think for food.

I live to eat.....and think later

mike
July 14th 05, 11:37 PM
I all seriousness, I whole heartedly agree with you mate....but I doubt
others will

The Good Guy
July 14th 05, 11:58 PM
>I all seriousness, I whole heartedly agree with you mate....but I doubt
others will

No, I certainly don't agree. Everything is Charles' fault.

John Hanson
July 15th 05, 12:30 AM
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:16:02 -0400, "Stephen Larivee"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to read and
>have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.
>

>Why is there so much bull**** on this group? As I go through the other
>groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name
>calling. In MFW, I go through post after post looking for something that is
>related to bodybuilding and weight training. Some times it takes a lot of
>work to find something.

I don't know. On a side note, there is a Gander Mountain store that
is closing near me and moving two miles from their present location.
I picked up a whole ****load of ammo all marked down 20%.

>Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political forum.
>You would probably find a much more receptive audience.

What should we do about the Muslim question?

>Are political views of more importance than how to do a chin-up? Sure. But
>this is not the place for it!

What moron doesn't know how to do a chin-up?

>As far as all the name calling goes.. I am sure that asking people not do
>it will be unproductive. So I will direct my request to the others. Avoid
>taking part. People who post such drivel do so for the attention they get.
>Better to get negative attention than to be ignored. If they must post,
>ignore them. I don't think they will be around much if their rantings are
>ignored. I realize I am breaking my own rules by posting this, but promise
>this will be a one-time tirade from me.

One of the main principles of this group is that we take the misc.
part of this group very seriously. Perhaps it is you who is trying to
get attention.

>Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
>the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
>comments. I am not interested in George W., Iraq, London, Osama, etc. Not
>here, at least! If someone poses a question about Bowflex, just tell him
>what you think of it without going ballistic.

Only a loser would use a bowflex.

>I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
>OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is running
>roughly 50% or 75%!!!

That's just because of one misguided troll. He'll be dead or locked
up soon enough.

>There! I feel better. All those who tell me to **** off or get a life or
>suck it up and tough it out will be duly ignored. Such should be the fate
>that awaits other OT postings.

Go **** yourself with a broken coke bottle.

The Good Guy
July 15th 05, 12:30 AM
Nice chap, that John Hanson

JMW
July 15th 05, 12:34 AM
"Stephen Larivee" > wrote:

>I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to read and
>have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.

How kind of you.

>Why is there so much bull**** on this group? As I go through the other
>groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name
>calling. In MFW, I go through post after post looking for something that is
>related to bodybuilding and weight training. Some times it takes a lot of
>work to find something.

Amazing. You're the first person who has ever offered such an
insightful observation.

>Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political forum.
>You would probably find a much more receptive audience.

MFW is, has been, and always will be known as a place where opinions
are strong. The people who bring the political stuff here are
trolling for strong responses. They have no interest whatever in open
political discourse, and they know that their inflammatory crap would
get lost or be totally ignored in a political newsgroup. They are
trolling for someone to fight with them, and they know that some folks
in MFW will oblige them.

>Are political views of more importance than how to do a chin-up? Sure. But
>this is not the place for it!

Not all the time, no. But the science of chin-ups gets pretty boring
after a while, and we're entitled to our off-topic forays.

>As far as all the name calling goes.. I am sure that asking people not do
>it will be unproductive. So I will direct my request to the others. Avoid
>taking part. People who post such drivel do so for the attention they get.
>Better to get negative attention than to be ignored. If they must post,
>ignore them. I don't think they will be around much if their rantings are
>ignored. I realize I am breaking my own rules by posting this, but promise
>this will be a one-time tirade from me.

Insults and name-calling are part of the established tradition of MFW.
In years past, many well-recognized names in the industry have been
known to curse one another in this forum. However, in the spirit of
making you feel more comfortable here, I will refrain from the
well-worn tradition of offering suggestions regarding some of your
family members and a broken CokeŽ bottle.

>Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
>the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
>comments.

Please note that this newsgroup in not in the soc.support.* hierarchy.
We are not an encounter group. And much of the confrontation here
relates to people who ask "questions" that are inherently loaded with
ignorant, and sometimes arrogant, presumptions. Some of the other
confrontation arises from people who post advice or information that
is, at best, inaccurate and uninformed, and at worst, ignorant and
outright dangerous.

BTW, what on-topic threads have you begun?

>I am not interested in George W., Iraq, London, Osama, etc. Not
>here, at least!

Then perhaps you should ignore those posts. You might even want to
put those words into subject header killfile. Cool idea, huh?

>If someone poses a question about Bowflex, just tell him
>what you think of it without going ballistic.

This is misc.fitness.weights, not misc.fitness.plastic-springy-sticks.

>I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
>OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is running
>roughly 50% or 75%!!!

So what might you do to skew that number? Hmmmm ...

>There! I feel better.

We all live to make your life happier.

The Good Guy
July 15th 05, 01:01 AM
>Amazing. You're the first person who has ever offered such an
insightful observation.

Wow!! He must be an incredibly insightful person. Is he God?

July 15th 05, 04:22 AM
>That's just because of one misguided troll. He'll be dead or locked up soon enough.>

I hear the sun is shining at 3am too...

>Go **** yourself with a broken coke bottle.>

I thought that was your *special thing*?

July 15th 05, 04:34 AM
>That's just because of one misguided troll. He'll be dead or locked up soon enough.>

Oh momma! Help me!!!

John Hanson
July 15th 05, 04:41 AM
On 14 Jul 2005 20:22:21 -0700, wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/01008.html

>>Go **** yourself with a broken coke bottle.>
>
>I thought that was your *special thing*?

July 15th 05, 05:24 AM
>Go **** yourself with a broken coke bottle.>

You know the more I read this, the more appealing it sounds... I'm
going out and try it, I'll get back to you.

Mike
July 15th 05, 05:50 AM
Stephen Larivee wrote in message >...
>I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to read and
>have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.
>

>Why is there so much bull**** on this group? As I go through the other
>groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name
>calling. In MFW, I go through post after post looking for something that
is
>related to bodybuilding and weight training. Some times it takes a lot of
>work to find something.
>

>Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political forum.
>You would probably find a much more receptive audience.
>

>Are political views of more importance than how to do a chin-up? Sure.
But
>this is not the place for it!
>

>As far as all the name calling goes.. I am sure that asking people not do
>it will be unproductive. So I will direct my request to the others. Avoid
>taking part. People who post such drivel do so for the attention they get.
>Better to get negative attention than to be ignored. If they must post,
>ignore them. I don't think they will be around much if their rantings are
>ignored. I realize I am breaking my own rules by posting this, but promise
>this will be a one-time tirade from me.
>

>Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
>the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
>comments. I am not interested in George W., Iraq, London, Osama, etc. Not
>here, at least! If someone poses a question about Bowflex, just tell him
>what you think of it without going ballistic.
>

>I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
>OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is
running
>roughly 50% or 75%!!!
>

>There! I feel better. All those who tell me to **** off or get a life or
>suck it up and tough it out will be duly ignored. Such should be the fate
>that awaits other OT postings.

I hear ya. Just ignore the trolls because there are some good blokes here
with sound advise.

Donovan Rebbechi
July 15th 05, 06:10 AM
On 2005-07-14, Stephen Larivee > wrote:

> Why is there so much bull**** on this group?

Because it's usenet.

> As I go through the other
> groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name
> calling. In MFW, I go through post after post looking for something that is
> related to bodybuilding and weight training. Some times it takes a lot of
> work to find something.

Then you need to become more proficient with your usenet software and/or get
a better newsreader.

You shouldn't need to go through "post after post". Read the threads you're
interested in, ignore the ones that you're not. Most of the heated political
discussion tends to be contained to a small number of threads at any given
time. Newsreaders are designed to be quite good at separating threads, learn
to use this functionality.

> Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political forum.
> You would probably find a much more receptive audience.

I've never had any problems with the "audience" in this forum. It seems that
you're the one having problems -- which means that most probably, you're the
one who needs to work out a solution. Your problems are not going to go away
as a result of your post -- this forum, MFW, has long taken an anything-goes
view as far as subject matter is concerned. Some forums have a very narrow
band of acceptable subject matter (e.g. comp.lang.c++ where even a question
about writing GUI code in C++ is considered off topic), but in some forums
almost anything is fair game. MFW is one of the latter type.

> ignore them. I don't think they will be around much if their rantings are
> ignored.

Some trolls are very persistent. Not everyone agrees about eliminating all
trolls anyway. Unless the trolls morph, the people who aren't interested in
the troll can use killfiles to screen out their posts. It should come as no
surprise to you that killfiles are often used by people who read this forum.

> Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
> the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
> comments.

Well, there you go again. Trying to read every post isn't always the best way
to do it. Take advantage of the threading features of your newsreader (or if
it doesn't have them, get a better newsreader)

> I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
> OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is running
> roughly 50% or 75%!!!

So read the on-topic threads, and don't read the off-topic threads.

> There! I feel better. All those who tell me to **** off or get a life or
> suck it up and tough it out will be duly ignored.

You can lead a horse to water ...

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

David Cohen
July 15th 05, 06:46 AM
Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> Stephen Larivee > wrote:
> > Why is there so much bull**** on this group?
>
> Because it's usenet.
>
> > As I go through the other
> > groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name
> > calling. In MFW, I go through post after post looking for something that is
> > related to bodybuilding and weight training. Some times it takes a lot of
> > work to find something.
>
> Then you need to become more proficient with your usenet software and/or get
> a better newsreader.
>
> You shouldn't need to go through "post after post". Read the threads you're
> interested in, ignore the ones that you're not. Most of the heated political
> discussion tends to be contained to a small number of threads at any given
> time. Newsreaders are designed to be quite good at separating threads, learn
> to use this functionality.
>
> > Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political forum.
> > You would probably find a much more receptive audience.
>
> I've never had any problems with the "audience" in this forum. It seems that
> you're the one having problems -- which means that most probably, you're the
> one who needs to work out a solution. Your problems are not going to go away
> as a result of your post -- this forum, MFW, has long taken an anything-goes
> view as far as subject matter is concerned. Some forums have a very narrow
> band of acceptable subject matter (e.g. comp.lang.c++ where even a question
> about writing GUI code in C++ is considered off topic), but in some forums
> almost anything is fair game. MFW is one of the latter type.
>
> > ignore them. I don't think they will be around much if their rantings are
> > ignored.
>
> Some trolls are very persistent. Not everyone agrees about eliminating all
> trolls anyway. Unless the trolls morph, the people who aren't interested in
> the troll can use killfiles to screen out their posts. It should come as no
> surprise to you that killfiles are often used by people who read this forum.
>
> > Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
> > the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
> > comments.
>
> Well, there you go again. Trying to read every post isn't always the best way
> to do it. Take advantage of the threading features of your newsreader (or if
> it doesn't have them, get a better newsreader)
>
> > I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
> > OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is running
> > roughly 50% or 75%!!!
>
> So read the on-topic threads, and don't read the off-topic threads.
>
> > There! I feel better. All those who tell me to **** off or get a life or
> > suck it up and tough it out will be duly ignored.
>
> You can lead a horse to water ...

....but you can't get him to do the backstroke in a pink tutu?

David

July 15th 05, 04:32 PM
Wow, all these posts and only one person told you to f-off.
MFW might be getting better!!!

MFW sucks, that is the point, and yet it keeps one coming back for
more.
It sucks harder and longer now, that's fer sure.

Only one out of 7 posts is on topic.

The main characters suck too. I miss Lyle, Krista, that dead guy, you
know, all those grumpy rejects.

The only regular posters now are 90% off topic morons.

<snip>

> There! I feel better. All those who tell me to **** off or get a life or
> suck it up and tough it out will be duly ignored. Such should be the fate
> that awaits other OT postings.

bc
July 15th 05, 04:35 PM
David Cohen wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> > Stephen Larivee > wrote:
> > > Why is there so much bull**** on this group?
> >
> > Because it's usenet.

> > You can lead a horse to water ...
>
> ...but you can't get him to do the backstroke in a pink tutu?

Coffee everywhere! Just made my Friday. Thanks Sir Cohen.

- bc

Bob Falooley
July 15th 05, 04:40 PM
Stephen Larivee wrote:

> Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
> the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
> comments. I am not interested in George W., Iraq, London, Osama, etc. Not

Preach on brtoher!

--Falooley

Axel of the North!
July 15th 05, 08:38 PM
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:30:17 -0500, John Hanson
> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:16:02 -0400, "Stephen Larivee"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to read and
>>have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.
>>
>>Why is there so much bull**** on this group? As I go through the other
>>groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political opinion and name

[snip wining]

>Go **** yourself with a broken coke bottle.

i second that, Mr. Hanson. and when you're done pulling that broken
bottle outta yer lame-ass:

STFU and lift, dammit!
--
"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without

Larry Hodges
July 15th 05, 11:19 PM
Stephen Larivee wrote:
> I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to
> read and have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.
>

> Why is there so much bull**** on this group? As I go through the
> other groups I read, I see nowhere near this amount of political
> opinion and name calling. In MFW, I go through post after post
> looking for something that is related to bodybuilding and weight
> training. Some times it takes a lot of work to find something.
>

> Let me suggest something: take your political views to a political
> forum. You would probably find a much more receptive audience.
>

> Are political views of more importance than how to do a chin-up? Sure.
> But this is not the place for it!
>

> As far as all the name calling goes.. I am sure that asking people
> not do it will be unproductive. So I will direct my request to the
> others. Avoid taking part. People who post such drivel do so for
> the attention they get. Better to get negative attention than to be
> ignored. If they must post, ignore them. I don't think they will be
> around much if their rantings are ignored. I realize I am breaking
> my own rules by posting this, but promise this will be a one-time
> tirade from me.

I agree. I wound never take part in name calling. Why can't we all just
get along anyway? Ok...group hug.
--
-Larry

Dally
July 17th 05, 04:06 PM
John Hanson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:16:02 -0400, "Stephen Larivee"

>>Just once I would like to check this board and find 25 new postings, all on
>>the topic of bodybuilding and weightlifting, all offering constructive
>>comments. I am not interested in George W., Iraq, London, Osama, etc. Not
>>here, at least! If someone poses a question about Bowflex, just tell him
>>what you think of it without going ballistic.
>
> Only a loser would use a bowflex.

First he wants us to be on-topic, then he wants us to not go ballistic
over bowflex. Well, at least give him credit for using the on-topic
term of "ballistic."

>>I know you need a tough skin to get by on newsgroups and I understand some
>>OT postings will occur, but right now I think the bull**** factor is running
>>roughly 50% or 75%!!!
>
> That's just because of one misguided troll. He'll be dead or locked
> up soon enough.

Don't "MFW Sucks" thread count as part of teh 50-75% bull****? They
make up a big proportion of the crap I still see. (I think I must have
a good kill-filter because I'm not sure what misguided troll you're
talking about.)

Dally

Blair P. Houghton
August 3rd 05, 04:48 AM
Stephen Larivee > wrote:
>I have been reading MFW for some time now but have been content to read and
>have not posted anything yet. But I am going to now.
>

>Why is there so much bull**** on this group?

Will Brink is here.

--Blair
"He thinks he's a leader because of it."