PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going up a weight class

July 25th 05, 05:39 PM
I'd prefer not to.

That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my waist
this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of energy...

But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et cetera).

If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did hypertrophy
on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How many sizes would I go up?

I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating enough that
I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter. ;-) And milk. And
steak. And Sunday brunch. And....

Rabid Weasel
July 25th 05, 05:45 PM
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:39:24 +0000, T wrote:

> I'd prefer not to.
>
> That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my
> waist this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of
> energy...
>
> But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
> low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et
> cetera).
>
> If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did
> hypertrophy on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How
> many sizes would I go up?
>
> I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating
> enough that I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter.
> ;-) And milk. And steak. And Sunday brunch. And....

Does anyone other than I find it odd that we have a chick asking a bunch
of guys if they think it's a good idea for her to *gain* weight?

Peace favor your sword (IH),
Kirk

July 25th 05, 05:51 PM
Rabid Weasel wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:39:24 +0000, T wrote:
>

>>I'd prefer not to.
>>
>>That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my
>>waist this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of
>>energy...
>>
>>But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
>>low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et
>>cetera).
>>
>>If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did
>>hypertrophy on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How
>>many sizes would I go up?
>>
>>I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating
>>enough that I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter.
>>;-) And milk. And steak. And Sunday brunch. And....
>

> Does anyone other than I find it odd that we have a chick asking a bunch
> of guys if they think it's a good idea for her to *gain* weight?
>
> Peace favor your sword (IH),
> Kirk

All the way back up to a 28" waist, dude.

Anyway, don't let my large firm...

Hmm.

.... opinions distract you, just think of me as a neuter bjj practitioner.

July 25th 05, 05:55 PM
Rabid Weasel wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:39:24 +0000, T wrote:
>
> > I'd prefer not to.
> >
> > That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my
> > waist this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of
> > energy...
> >
> > But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
> > low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et
> > cetera).
> >
> > If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did
> > hypertrophy on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How
> > many sizes would I go up?
> >
> > I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating
> > enough that I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter.
> > ;-) And milk. And steak. And Sunday brunch. And....
>
> Does anyone other than I find it odd that we have a chick asking a bunch
> of guys if they think it's a good idea for her to *gain* weight?

Well ****, man, do _you_ feel like telling her that the gi makes her
ass look fat?

Laszlo

Rabid Weasel
July 25th 05, 06:14 PM
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:55:24 -0700, laszlo_spamhole wrote:

> Rabid Weasel wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:39:24 +0000, T wrote:
>>
>> > I'd prefer not to.
>> >
>> > That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my
>> > waist this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of
>> > energy...
>> >
>> > But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
>> > low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et
>> > cetera).
>> >
>> > If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did
>> > hypertrophy on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How
>> > many sizes would I go up?
>> >
>> > I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating
>> > enough that I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter.
>> > ;-) And milk. And steak. And Sunday brunch. And....
>>
>> Does anyone other than I find it odd that we have a chick asking a bunch
>> of guys if they think it's a good idea for her to *gain* weight?
>
> Well ****, man, do _you_ feel like telling her that the gi makes her
> ass look fat?

hahaha

Good for a solid point.

1 point to Laszlo. :-)

Peace favor your sword (IH),
Kirk

olaf
July 25th 05, 06:17 PM
"T" > wrote in message
> I'd prefer not to.
>
> That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my
> waist this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of
> energy...
>
> But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
> low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et cetera).
>
> If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did
> hypertrophy on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How
> many sizes would I go up?
>
> I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating enough
> that I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter. ;-) And
> milk. And steak. And Sunday brunch. And....

In BJJ, where's the next weight division? In general (from judo and
wrestling experience), if your natural weight is close to the limit of a
weight division, you're better off fighting there than forcing yourself
to keep in a lower division. If your natural weight is in the middle
of a weight division then its more problematic, though I suspect you're
still better off going up - put on more muscle if need be. Its pretty
common for wrestlers and judoka to go up a division as they get into
their twenties. (I won't comment on how many you go up when
you get into your 30's and 40's).

July 25th 05, 10:33 PM
T wrote:
> I'd prefer not to.
>
> That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my waist
> this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of energy...
>
> But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
> low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et cetera).
>
> If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did hypertrophy
> on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How many sizes would I go up?
>
> I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating enough that
> I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter. ;-) And milk. And
> steak. And Sunday brunch. And....

On the street, it's not like the muggers will go up a weight class just
'cause you do. For street defense, go with what feels better. Keep
working out, and go for those honey-roasted peanut butter sandwiches.
You might lose a few more sparring matches, but you'll be
ever-so-slightly more likely to win on the street.

Kermit

Fraser Johnston
July 26th 05, 01:22 AM
"T" > wrote in message
> I'd prefer not to.
>
> That said, I've gained 4 pounds while losing an inch and a half off my
> waist this year. My lifts are up, rolling's going great, plenty of
> energy...
>
> But I get pretty hungry trying (and failing) to stay at 145, even eating
> low-calorie-density food (salad, fruit, chicken breast, fish, et cetera).
>
> If I relaxed enough to put an inch back on my waist - actually did
> hypertrophy on purpose for a change - how much heavier would I be? How
> many sizes would I go up?
>
> I'm not talking about trying to bulk like a skinny guy, just eating enough
> that I don't get hungry. I miss honey-roasted peanut butter. ;-) And
> milk. And steak. And Sunday brunch. And....

Do it. Unless you are right at the top of your weight in a BJJ division.
Even then if you have the skills you should be able to hold your own.

Fraser