PDA

View Full Version : Dead Lifts

Merlin
August 12th 05, 06:04 AM
Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive seen
pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights should be as
its raised, but exactly which muscles are you using primarily. I assume its
all in the quads.
Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past and
don't want to tempt fate.
Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles will
be worked out??
Many thanks

JMW
August 12th 05, 06:22 AM
"Merlin" > wrote:

>Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive seen
>pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights should be as
>its raised, but exactly which muscles are you using primarily. I assume its
>all in the quads.

No. Comparatively little from the quads. Most of the posterior
musculature, from the neck down to the knees, is involved. Traps,
lats, erectors, glutes, and hams are all involved.

>Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past and
>don't want to tempt fate.

It can be risky, yes.

>Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles will
>be worked out??

Some of the same muscles. More quads, a little less glutes, and quads
probably about the same. Much less for muscles in the upper back.

Jeff Finlayson
August 12th 05, 06:29 AM
Merlin wrote:

> Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive seen
> pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights should be as
> its raised,

You seem to want description to the nth degree. Google is your friend..
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

> but exactly which muscles are you using primarily. I assume its
> all in the quads.

It certainly not all quads. Back, glutes, hamstrings, quads,
forearms plus stabilizers are all involved.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

> Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles will
> be worked out??

Yes. And you can do both, in separate workouts or in one.

JMW
August 12th 05, 06:29 AM

****. That should be "... and hams probably about the same."

>Much less for muscles in the upper back.

Larry Hodges
August 12th 05, 06:34 AM
JMW wrote:
> JMW > wrote:
>
>> "Merlin" > wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed?
>>> Ive seen pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the
>>> weights should be as its raised, but exactly which muscles are you
>>> using primarily. I assume its all in the quads.
>>
>> No. Comparatively little from the quads. Most of the posterior
>> musculature, from the neck down to the knees, is involved. Traps,
>> lats, erectors, glutes, and hams are all involved.
>>
>>> Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past
>>> and don't want to tempt fate.
>>
>> It can be risky, yes.
>>
>>> Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar
>>> muscles will be worked out??
>>
>> Some of the same muscles. More quads, a little less glutes, and
>> quads probably about the same.
>
> ****. That should be "... and hams probably about the same."
>
>> Much less for muscles in the upper back.

Too late. You're fired.
--
-Larry

"The troll hasn't been born who can troll us worse than we troll
ourselves." Hugh Beyer

Jay
August 12th 05, 02:55 PM
"Merlin" > wrote in message
> Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive
> seen pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights
> should be as its raised, but exactly which muscles are you using
> primarily. I assume its all in the quads.
> Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past and
> don't want to tempt fate.
> Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles
> will be worked out??
> Many thanks
There are many descriptions and demonstrations that you can find with a
little searching. There really isn't anything more simple than picking up a
weight dead from the floor. If you had back trouble, this may be what could
resolve it if done correctly. Just start light, progress slow, maintain
form, check ego at the door. Don't pansy it up with a belt and knee wraps
and wrist straps. You want abs? deadlift. Are squats a suitable
alternative? The squat is just as easy and maybe easier to hurt yourself.
Each are terrific and should find their way into your routine.

for a start on seeking a description, here.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

August 12th 05, 03:20 PM
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:34:30 +0930, "Merlin"
> wrote:

>Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive seen
>pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights should be as
>its raised, but exactly which muscles are you using primarily. I assume its
>all in the quads.
>Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past and
>don't want to tempt fate.
>Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles will
>be worked out??
>Many thanks

Remove "YOURCLOTHES" to email me

August 12th 05, 03:23 PM
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:20:48 GMT,
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:34:30 +0930, "Merlin"
> wrote:
>
>>Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive seen
>>pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights should be as
>>its raised, but exactly which muscles are you using primarily. I assume its
>>all in the quads.
>>Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past and
>>don't want to tempt fate.
>>Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles will
>>be worked out??
>>Many thanks

Was going to suggest
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html
but then saw others already had.

My bad - hit post instead of cancel

Remove "YOURCLOTHES" to email me

OmManiPadmeOmelet
August 12th 05, 04:50 PM
In article >,
"Merlin" > wrote:

> Can someone please explain in detail how a dead lift is performed? Ive seen
> pictures of how to do it and had it explained where the weights should be as
> its raised, but exactly which muscles are you using primarily. I assume its
> all in the quads.

You wish. ;-)
I end up sore in the quads,hams and upper back when I'm done...
Deadlifts are a major "core" lift and can strengthen pretty much the
entire body if done right.

> Im apprehensive in doing them as I've had back troubles in the past and
> don't want to tempt fate.

Do them right and they will help your back, not hurt it.

> Is a weighted squat a suitable alternative in that same/similar muscles will
> be worked out??

No.

> Many thanks

You are welcome.