PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Kai
October 16th 03, 03:40 AM
Aloha,

I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally new to
lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there. I've tried to
look for someone to work out with me to help me not feel so out of
place, but I haven't had too much luck yet.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Kai

Wayne S. Hill
October 16th 03, 04:26 AM
Kai wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally
> new to lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there.
> I've tried to look for someone to work out with me to help
> me not feel so out of place, but I haven't had too much luck
> yet.
>
> Any suggestions/thoughts?
>
> Kai

Don't worry about it: most of the other university gym-goers
are mullets and don't know what they're doing anyway. Figure
out a workout, write it down, go do it, and get stronger.
You're likely to find a workout partner along the way if you
still think you need/want one. For guidance, read everything
here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

and look at exercise demos here (they're not perfect, but
better than what you're likely to see in most gyms):

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Start with easy weights and add weight as you can handle it
fairly easily. You don't need to work with maximal weights
for quite a while to make good progress as a newbie.

--
-Wayne

Theresa
October 16th 03, 04:33 AM
Kai wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally new to
> lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there. I've tried to
> look for someone to work out with me to help me not feel so out of
> place, but I haven't had too much luck yet.
>
> Any suggestions/thoughts?
>
> Kai

Learn a perfect full squat. Squat three times a week. Do it first in your
workout, then go do everything else you feel like doing. Add weight to the
bar when you're ready to do so - when you're squatting rock-bottom with a
flat or slightly arched back, knees out, head up, driving your hips forward
on the ascent....

When you're up to 135# squats, add 135# deadlifts as your second exercise of
the day - it's easier to deadlift with two big plates than it is to rig a
deadlift stand. Mixed grip is easier than clean grip.

Big Bill
October 16th 03, 04:44 AM
On 15 Oct 2003 19:40:21 -0700, (Kai) wrote:

>Aloha,
>
>I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally new to
>lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there. I've tried to
>look for someone to work out with me to help me not feel so out of
>place, but I haven't had too much luck yet.
>
>Any suggestions/thoughts?
>
>Kai

Are you saying there's no supervision? No-one to give you an
assessment and a routine to follow?

BB

Jose Yimpho
October 16th 03, 07:27 AM
Kai wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally new to
> lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there. I've tried to
> look for someone to work out with me to help me not feel so out of
> place, but I haven't had too much luck yet.
>
> Any suggestions/thoughts?
>
> Kai

stickboy?

Rambo Four Sythia
October 17th 03, 01:33 AM
"Theresa" > writes:

> Kai wrote:
>> Aloha,
>>
>> I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally new to
>> lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there. I've tried to
>> look for someone to work out with me to help me not feel so out of
>> place, but I haven't had too much luck yet.
>>
>> Any suggestions/thoughts?
>>
>> Kai
>
> Learn a perfect full squat. Squat three times a week. Do it first in your
> workout, then go do everything else you feel like doing. Add weight to the
> bar when you're ready to do so - when you're squatting rock-bottom with a
> flat or slightly arched back, knees out, head up, driving your hips forward
> on the ascent....
>
> When you're up to 135# squats, add 135# deadlifts as your second exercise of
> the day - it's easier to deadlift with two big plates than it is to rig a
> deadlift stand. Mixed grip is easier than clean grip.

Good advice. (I'd add that deads with clean grip are easier for some
newbies who have strong enough grip strength and feel awkward using
the mixed grip.)

I remember the first time I went over to the free-weights side of the
university gym. I had read about deadlifts on Krista's site,
exrx.net, t-mag.com, and everywhere else I could. My GF at the time
was doing cardio, and I told her I was going to try out the free
weights.

I almost turned around. It's weird now to think that it was that big
a deal to go over there and do a couple sets of deadlifts, but at the
time, it was awfully daunting -- I didn't know where the exactly all
the equipment was, for one thing (like the clips that hold the plates
on the bar). It seemed easier to stick to using the machines, which I
was used to. Finally I decided I was not going to turn around even if
I had to search around for everything.

It turned my hesitation was unnecessary. The deadlifts were a
fantastic exercise. And I was very sore in all kinds of weird places
a couple days later. ;)

--
R4S

Theresa
October 17th 03, 03:22 PM
Rambo Four Sythia wrote:
> "Theresa" > writes:
>
>> Kai wrote:
>>> Aloha,
>>>
>>> I just signed-up for my university's gym, but I'm totally new to
>>> lifting weights, and I feel really awkward in there. I've tried to
>>> look for someone to work out with me to help me not feel so out of
>>> place, but I haven't had too much luck yet.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions/thoughts?
>>>
>>> Kai
>>
>> Learn a perfect full squat. Squat three times a week. Do it first
>> in your workout, then go do everything else you feel like doing.
>> Add weight to the bar when you're ready to do so - when you're
>> squatting rock-bottom with a flat or slightly arched back, knees
>> out, head up, driving your hips forward on the ascent....
>>
>> When you're up to 135# squats, add 135# deadlifts as your second
>> exercise of the day - it's easier to deadlift with two big plates
>> than it is to rig a deadlift stand. Mixed grip is easier than clean
>> grip.
>
> Good advice. (I'd add that deads with clean grip are easier for some
> newbies who have strong enough grip strength and feel awkward using
> the mixed grip.)
>
> I remember the first time I went over to the free-weights side of the
> university gym. I had read about deadlifts on Krista's site,
> exrx.net, t-mag.com, and everywhere else I could. My GF at the time
> was doing cardio, and I told her I was going to try out the free
> weights.
>
> I almost turned around. It's weird now to think that it was that big
> a deal to go over there and do a couple sets of deadlifts, but at the
> time, it was awfully daunting -- I didn't know where the exactly all
> the equipment was, for one thing (like the clips that hold the plates
> on the bar). It seemed easier to stick to using the machines, which I
> was used to. Finally I decided I was not going to turn around even if
> I had to search around for everything.

Guys STARE, offer unsolicited advice (to be fair, some of it good), offer to
'spot' (ha), et cetera.

Fortunately, I am a, how did that IT geek put it, beautiful intelligent
take-charge hottie. B.I.T.C.H. for short. ;-)

> It turned my hesitation was unnecessary. The deadlifts were a
> fantastic exercise. And I was very sore in all kinds of weird places
> a couple days later. ;)

First time I did full squats - just the bar - I had trouble walking and
couldn't dance at all for about a week.